12 replies to this topic

#1 Karl TenBrew

• PipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:15 PM

Dear PGI: Please stop resetting my weapon groups. KKTHXBI

But seriously, this is ridiculous. Save it on the back end and make it so it only updates when the weapons loadout changes or the player manually sets them, because dropping on a mech to have to manually set your weapons groups again^nth gets really old really fast. Like REALLY old. Like REALLY fast.

This is fixable. Make it happen.

Edited by Karl TenBrew, 06 October 2014 - 06:15 PM.

#2 Hoax415

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:54 PM

Its probably the bug where two mechs you own are assigned the same ID. Then when you set groups on the one mech it resets the other.

#3 Karl TenBrew

• PipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:46 PM

View PostHoax415, on 06 October 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

Its probably the bug where two mechs you own are assigned the same ID. Then when you set groups on the one mech it resets the other.

Is there a way to fix this on my end? Because if not, my reply remains "I refuse to believe this is unfixable."

#4 Shadovar-Assassin

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, U.K

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:27 PM

Same thing am experiencing. Would like this issue looked into as this issue has been long standing. I've notice this happens if you have 2 of the same mech versions ie two Atlas DD-C. Config weapons settings on one and the other DD-C settings reset. Same happens with other mechs. Would be nice to have a long overdue fix for this issue as this can be very frustrating when going into game with weapons you think are set and ready to find that your first shot you do is an alpha strike.......boooooom. Peace

#5 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:01 AM

Not a feature suggestion. Moving to patch feedback.

#6 Naduk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:02 AM

purging your user file fixed it for two of my unit mates
the rest of us never had the issue

can be done two ways
open the patcher, click on the cog icon at the top right of the window
click on the fixer tool, run the fixer tool and tell it to reset all settings (3 check boxes i think?)
let the fixer run its course , then try game

navigate to the install location of your mwo game
(if you do not know its location easiest way to find it is right click the MWO icon and click open file location, then navigate up 1 folder)
locate the "USER" folder and delete the folder

both of these methods will reset all local data including but not limited to
-shader cache (V.good for fixing graphic errors)
-user config. (external cryengine settings wil be lost, good idea to back them up, if you dont know what that means its fine to ignore)
- video settings, (defualt video rez and other settings will be applied)
- control setup, (defualt game controls will be applied)
- weapon group data (this is whats causing u grief, and is likely linked to mutiple parts with in the user settings folder, complete user dir purge recomended)

hope that helps
doing that may be a little bit anoying due to reconfigure needs
but its better than having to setup your mech every single match

#7 Karl TenBrew

• PipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:00 PM

View PostNaduk, on 07 October 2014 - 04:02 AM, said:

purging your user file fixed it for two of my unit mates
the rest of us never had the issue

can be done two ways

{snip}

hope that helps
doing that may be a little bit anoying due to reconfigure needs
but its better than having to setup your mech every single match

Thanks, I'll definitely give this a try tonight! Redoing things like graphics settings and weapon groups for mechs once sounds fine if it cuts chasing weapon groups around linked mechs.

#8 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:16 PM

View PostHoax415, on 06 October 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

They still haven't fixed this for a few of my mechs, and I've about given up trying to get them to do so since they claimed it was fixed last time - it's not, or a patch broke it again later.

#9 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:34 PM

Umm.. I set them in game and I never lose them.

Ever.

#10 Karl TenBrew

• PipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:56 PM

Did the patcher repair tool with all five options checked, and have done a pass through mechs to set up weapon groups.

What did surprise me about the reset was that when I went in to do the first edit, certain mechs had weapons on the 2 group but not the 1 group. I don't know if they were that way after the reset or because I altered the weapon groups on another mech because I didn't check to see that all mechs had a stright 1-line, I just got straight to altering them to what I wanted.

We'll see how things go over the weekend when I can get some droptime.

#11 Hoax415

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:03 PM

View Postoldradagast, on 07 October 2014 - 05:16 PM, said:

They still haven't fixed this for a few of my mechs, and I've about given up trying to get them to do so since they claimed it was fixed last time - it's not, or a patch broke it again later.

I sent a report and they said it was a known problem. Which was frustrating because its not listed anywhere as a known issue that I can find and they certainly didn't link me to such a list.

View PostLivewyr, on 07 October 2014 - 05:34 PM, said:

Umm.. I set them in game and I never lose them.

Count yourself as lucky. You can literally go to the .txt file and see that the servers are giving the same ID# to two mechs you own. If that happens you are screwed. There is (that I know of) no way for a player to reset the ID#'s of a mech. Deleting the file does nothing as the ID#'s are stored server side and you will be assigned the exact same ID's when the server recreates the file.

That was as far as I tested it. I don't know if selling and re-buying the variant(s) in question will reassign the ID for instance.

#12 Karl TenBrew

• PipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:22 PM

View PostHoax415, on 08 October 2014 - 06:03 PM, said:

I sent a report and they said it was a known problem. Which was frustrating because its not listed anywhere as a known issue that I can find and they certainly didn't link me to such a list.

Count yourself as lucky. You can literally go to the .txt file and see that the servers are giving the same ID# to two mechs you own. If that happens you are screwed. There is (that I know of) no way for a player to reset the ID#'s of a mech. Deleting the file does nothing as the ID#'s are stored server side and you will be assigned the exact same ID's when the server recreates the file.

That was as far as I tested it. I don't know if selling and re-buying the variant(s) in question will reassign the ID for instance.

Playing both before and after current hotfix: dropping into matches immediately after setting all weapon groups still led to drops with reset groupings to everything keyed to 1. So it looks like I'm experiencing this [id duplication on the back end]. Fun! Or, you know, not.

It sounds like the system needs to periodically check for unique-id duplication, and generate a new id when duplication sneaks through the cracks. I'm not exactly sure how often 'periodically' would have to be, and I'm guessing things like checking every MechBay save would be prohibitive on computing resources. But something that checks at least every week on patch day should be resonable, right?

As neither a programmer nor someone who works in the industry, I am indeed asking a question because I don't know the answer.

#13 Helsbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:27 PM

I get this on a few of my mechs. Gotta spent the first few seconds checking and resetting every time I log in and start swapping out rides. Very annoying.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users