• The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:54 PM

View PostFeatherwood, on 08 October 2014 - 03:51 PM, said:

Aye kin Thync gud

Aye kin reed poztz betur den aniwun!

You are only making yourself look more and more the fool here

It should only take a brief glance through my history (here is a tip - you can see that in my profile) to see that I am one of the most casual players in the game to maintain a presence in the forum.

You accusations of elitism and snobbery are comparable to accusing Mother Teresa of being a {Godwin's Law}.

#282 Featherwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:59 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 08 October 2014 - 03:54 PM, said:

You are only making yourself look more and more the fool here

It should only take a brief glance through my history (here is a tip - you can see that in my profile) to see that I am one of the most casual players in the game to maintain a presence in the forum.

You accusations of elitism and snobbery are comparable to accusing Mother Teresa of being a {Godwin's Law}.

I have quite the opposite view of our dialogue. Reread it to understand or just keep quite if you have nothing else to say.

#283 Bashfulsalamander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Locationnot looking at forums

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:06 PM

we having a pissing contest here let me join in.. Oh wait I can't see when you stop because this is all taking place behind a monitor.

#284 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:23 PM

View PostBashfulsalamander, on 08 October 2014 - 04:06 PM, said:

we having a pissing contest here let me join in.. Oh wait I can't see when you stop because this is all taking place behind a monitor.

I bet I can pee on that guy down there.

Edited by Darth Futuza, 08 October 2014 - 04:23 PM.

#285 GentlemanBryan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 210 posts
  • LocationMemphis, Tn

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:27 PM

The Clan ERLL has changed PGI/Russ.......the range went from 810m to 740m...this is not right, correct??

#286 astroglide420

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:33 PM

as a paying customer THANK YOU for repealing the poorly thought out 'game mode voting feature'.

lulz twolf flash sale

#287 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:33 PM

View PostMAVRICK64, on 08 October 2014 - 04:27 PM, said:

The Clan ERLL has changed PGI/Russ.......the range went from 810m to 740m...this is not right, correct??

It was that way before this patch I thought?

#288 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:09 PM

Greetings MechWarriors!

Cool that a new champion 'Mech was released but since I don't pilot any Inner Sphere tech other than my Founder's and a Thunderbolt, it doesn't affect me much either way.
It would be nice to see a champion (and hero) Thunderbolt.

Love that all champions now receive a 30% XP bonus, so thanks!

Modules:
I'm torn on modules but long story short they should never have made it into the game. Now that they're here I know they're here to stay, so to compensate I'll simply outfit every single mech I own with Radar Deprivation and either Advanced Sensor Range or Advanced Seismic Sensor.
And of course weapon system cool-down modules for every single weapon system for every mech I pilot daily. There are only 12 models ;)

Those Bundles are very nice and I think most people will enjoy them.

Cockpit items:
The Clan Flags are very cool. I'll buy one for each of my mechs that already doesn't have standing item and as long as it doesn't block my view.

The two new hanging items are okay but not for me.
Of all hanging items, if the bear claw was larger I'd probably buy a few but the one for sale now looks like it came off of a bear cub.
I guess the plush items are nice for all our female mechwarriors out there.

Game Mode Preferences:
Though not unhappy with the new match-making system, I have noticed that I am being dropped with clueless teams that immediately scatter in all directions upon power up.
Because I manage to kill one~three enemies before my team's ultimate death (and my own) I will not complain as much as might be expected.
I didn't know I was in such a low ELO :P

As Bandaron mentioned, allowing us 30 seconds to switch mechs at the Lobby is a GREAT idea.
Allowing us to switch to an alternate variant of the same chassis is fair and it keeps the matchmaker's weight calculations for each team accurate.
Business plan bonus: players will be encouraged to buy more alternate variants of chassis they like to keep on hand for the pre-drop switch ;) :thumbsup:

New heat penalties:
They make sense.
It shows that the engine heat sinks are in the side torsos while the critical fusion engine components are located only in the center torso. Good call.
I sure hope there are no more "Nerfs" to Clan Tech because that is very un-BattleTech-like.

Fall damage tuning:like it!

New Rewards in-game HUD:
Like the new location/method but do not agree changing 'Mech Destroyed' to 'Killing Blow' was good.
As someone else already said, MWO is not Unreal Tournament.
Please PGI, let's keep the terminology military as it should be and not use cheesy "kiddie" multiplayer game terminology.
Again, to state the obvious MWO isn't UT or C.O.D.

Love the store improvements.

Mechlab improvements:
THANK YOU for having Trial 'Mechs appear only in the Trial tab!!! Now my mechlab is organized exactly as I wanted :D
Faster loading grids is always good!

Thanks PGI and please keep up the good work :)

{edited to correct grammatical errors and add bold type for clarification.}

Edited by HeroForHire, 09 October 2014 - 02:03 PM.

#289 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:17 PM

After 1st nights play;

The new rewards visuals are fantastic. You do not have to look at the corner of the screen and they are not so obtrusive in the middle that they distract from the battle. But...

View PostHeroForHire, on 08 October 2014 - 05:09 PM, said:

Like the new location/method but do not agree changing 'Mech Destroyed' to 'Killing Blow' was good.

Just why.......

Matchmaking. Sad to see so much QQ about this & the eventual hotfix, I found I only had a couple of conquest games, but the evening was overall fun with more balanced games.. ..but if people prefer stomps over balance... ...this can work, there is just a big divide between conquest and skirmish players..

Mech bundles. These are cool, but I really want one for the Griffin pretty please.

Modules: Gauss. Nuff said :wub:

Fall Damage. Agree with the changes, havent tested appropriate mechs though as was too busy running my Mad Dog which FTW is a simply awesome mech.

And the fix for the HUD bug is MUCH appreciated.

Edited by White Bear 84, 08 October 2014 - 05:20 PM.

#290 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:10 AM

there is just a big divide between conquest and skirmish players..

This right here gets to a salient point that I think is at the center of a LOT of the problem you have going on. I kinda put two and two together and at least remained under 5.

When we had only Assault and Conquest, there was a very loud very constant "WE HATE CAPPING" refrain from a large minority of the population. They were in it for the deathmatch and got furious any time something other than that happened. PGI acquiesced and gave us Skirmish mode. There was a great sigh of relief from the populace as all the... skirmishers flooded QUICKLY into their new sandbox and Assault and Conquest got much quieter as the din of those Skirmishers was silenced. Then when someone complained about cap the were sharply reminded "Shut up and go play Skirmish".

Problem solved on one side of the coin... but for the other?

Now starts the ugly cry from the Skirmish pit: STOP PEOPLE FROM HIDING ON US AND MAKE THEM DIE!!!!! Yes friends, the 'you can't hide! Hiding's against CoC' argument came out. It was, of course quickly snuffed by the Mods and Devs who said "we warned you this would happen and no you can't ban them". (This answer was not sufficient, so it has been ignored and the cry still goes on.) The Devs went on to clarify "They fought and decided to make you play hide and go seek, now go find and kill them." Because of this, the rage built over in the skirmish pit because "griefers" were making them poor fat assaults run... slowly... all over the map looking for them. They demand (still) that they just run out of bounds or suicide and are reminded that doing so constitutes a violation of CoC. Then they'd demand the right to just shoot them in the face. Most who were hiding would say "no, come and find me." So, all was not well in the skirmish pit and the bitterness between skirmishers and the rest remained hot and sharp.

So here we sit. Two minorities, but together they make up the majority of players who want their autonomy from one another. (the real minority is sitting there going "Who cares! Let's just play already!") Neither side wants much if anything to do with the other and are happy to let each have their own gameplay modes and do not want to be forced into the same batch as those who constantly derided them in the past from both sides. This shows in varying degrees, and is not an all or none proposition to be sure.

The point is, you cannot make both sides happy playing together when they do not respect the way the other plays the game. You have two fiercely passionate sides who WILL NOT COMPROMISE with one another and would rather quit and do something else than play together. This lingering rift is the reason you are never going to get voting to work. It has the passion and fierceness of a political campaign or religious war. Look honestly and deeply enough at it, and you'll see this is fairly true. It's based on emotion, not reason, past hurts and principles not common sense and compromise.

Lastly, there are also two core philosophies at war here: those desiring strategic/tactical simulation, and those desiring an FPS arena. The two have a middle ground, but where the balance resides is such a thin line, and easily shifted, you can almost guarantee to be too far for most on both sides which will always lead to a majority of criticism. Go too far to the simulation, and you get the shooters going "BOOOORRRRING!!!" Go too far to the arena and you get the simulators going "STUUUUUUUPID!!!" Unfortunately, sit in the middle and you get "STUPID AND BORING!!!!" from both sides while the true "let's just play" minority sits in the middle disgusted at both.

In the end, most will probably disagree with this analysis for the exact reasons I say it exists. Bitterness and anger from both sides with no interest of compromise, and a desire to burn it all to the ground if they don't get their way. They were given a solution of being able to just not play with one another and that had formed an easy cease fire and possibly someday a peace, but never an integration.

So, let's just leave it alone and just try to grow all three communities as a whole?

The Conquistadors and the Skirmishers and those in the muddy muddy middle.

#291 Javin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 519 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:57 AM

Sorry, your post was far too reasonable and not filled with troll hate. Please reformat into the proper illiterate mouth foaming madness please.

#292 ColoKid

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 21 posts
  • LocationHigh Mountains of Colorado

Posted 09 October 2014 - 06:58 AM

this game mode redirecting is straight up bullshit, if I wanted your servers to select what ever it wanted depending on an ELO system that is straight up furbared I would select all game modes and take whatever mode came up, but when I select a specific mode and select a mech and mech built to fit that mode and get something else just to suit whom ever elses ELO or mode choice will not work for me. You (PGI) are on a fast track to running off more of your player base with all this crap.

#293 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:59 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 09 October 2014 - 02:10 AM, said:

This right here gets to a salient point that I think is at the center of a LOT of the problem you have going on. I kinda put two and two together and at least remained under 5.

That was beautiful

#294 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:06 AM

View PostJavin, on 09 October 2014 - 05:57 AM, said:

Sorry, your post was far too reasonable and not filled with troll hate. Please reformat into the proper illiterate mouth foaming madness please.

Argle bargle blarg blarg troll blarg? :huh:

No? :unsure:

GGclose?

:(

#295 jaxjace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 987 posts
  • LocationIn orbit around your world

Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:43 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 09 October 2014 - 02:10 AM, said:

When we had only Assault and Conquest, there was a very loud very constant "WE HATE CAPPING" refrain from a large minority of the population. They were in it for the deathmatch and got furious any time something other than that happened. PGI acquiesced and gave us Skirmish mode. There was a great sigh of relief from the populace as all the... skirmishers flooded QUICKLY into their new sandbox and Assault and Conquest got much quieter as the din of those Skirmishers was silenced. Then when someone complained about cap the were sharply reminded "Shut up and go play Skirmish".

Problem solved on one side of the coin... but for the other?

Now starts the ugly cry from the Skirmish pit: STOP PEOPLE FROM HIDING ON US AND MAKE THEM DIE!!!!! Yes friends, the 'you can't hide! Hiding's against CoC' argument came out. It was, of course quickly snuffed by the Mods and Devs who said "we warned you this would happen and no you can't ban them". (This answer was not sufficient, so it has been ignored and the cry still goes on.) The Devs went on to clarify "They fought and decided to make you play hide and go seek, now go find and kill them." Because of this, the rage built over in the skirmish pit because "griefers" were making them poor fat assaults run... slowly... all over the map looking for them. They demand (still) that they just run out of bounds or suicide and are reminded that doing so constitutes a violation of CoC. Then they'd demand the right to just shoot them in the face. Most who were hiding would say "no, come and find me." So, all was not well in the skirmish pit and the bitterness between skirmishers and the rest remained hot and sharp.

So here we sit. Two minorities, but together they make up the majority of players who want their autonomy from one another. (the real minority is sitting there going "Who cares! Let's just play already!") Neither side wants much if anything to do with the other and are happy to let each have their own gameplay modes and do not want to be forced into the same batch as those who constantly derided them in the past from both sides. This shows in varying degrees, and is not an all or none proposition to be sure.

The point is, you cannot make both sides happy playing together when they do not respect the way the other plays the game. You have two fiercely passionate sides who WILL NOT COMPROMISE with one another and would rather quit and do something else than play together. This lingering rift is the reason you are never going to get voting to work. It has the passion and fierceness of a political campaign or religious war. Look honestly and deeply enough at it, and you'll see this is fairly true. It's based on emotion, not reason, past hurts and principles not common sense and compromise.

Lastly, there are also two core philosophies at war here: those desiring strategic/tactical simulation, and those desiring an FPS arena. The two have a middle ground, but where the balance resides is such a thin line, and easily shifted, you can almost guarantee to be too far for most on both sides which will always lead to a majority of criticism. Go too far to the simulation, and you get the shooters going "BOOOORRRRING!!!" Go too far to the arena and you get the simulators going "STUUUUUUUPID!!!" Unfortunately, sit in the middle and you get "STUPID AND BORING!!!!" from both sides while the true "let's just play" minority sits in the middle disgusted at both.

In the end, most will probably disagree with this analysis for the exact reasons I say it exists. Bitterness and anger from both sides with no interest of compromise, and a desire to burn it all to the ground if they don't get their way. They were given a solution of being able to just not play with one another and that had formed an easy cease fire and possibly someday a peace, but never an integration.

So, let's just leave it alone and just try to grow all three communities as a whole?

The Conquistadors and the Skirmishers and those in the muddy muddy middle.

Middle is assault right? the clearly superior gamemode.

#296 xCico

• WC 2018 Gold Champ
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:06 PM

Another patch without CW, so when is the final annoucment of CW?

#297 Solahma

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNerv HQ, Tokyo-3

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:11 PM

View PostxCico, on 09 October 2014 - 01:06 PM, said:

Another patch without CW, so when is the final annoucment of CW?

Do you even pay attention to this game anymore Cico? much disappoint.

#298 xCico

• WC 2018 Gold Champ
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:25 PM

View PostSolahma, on 09 October 2014 - 01:11 PM, said:

Do you even pay attention to this game anymore Cico? much disappoint.

Im okay with current stuffs, but game is boooring for fighting over nothing tbh

#299 Errant Audio

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 70 posts
  • LocationL.A. Area

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:11 PM

OK, all day yesterday my matches sucked, got a majority Conquest
I do not hate conquest, just pugging it because...
"Ok, what's the plan guys? Guys?"
"crickets"
"where the hell did everyone go?"
death

HOWEVER!
Late, late last night (0100-0300 pst) I got into a string of fantastic, hard fought good missions. Conquest only showed up a bit and we pugs were able to coordinate and win on cap right before the last enemy TBR fell, even though each conquest match featured at least one person disco'ing...

So. For the record, my anecdotal experience in my earlier angrier posts was countered. I think had i had that good experience earlier in the day instead of the usual stomps but in modes I am embarrassingly bad at, I might have voted yes.

Regardless, I would like to take another opportunity to give PGI and Russ a gold star.
Did they get it right this time? I don't think so.
Are they obviously trying very hard to please this disparate, rough and tumble community? If you say no, you are blind.
Are they going to screw up in the future? probably. they are human and have lives beyond the game (sacrilege, I know!)
Am I gonna stop supporting the game/PGI? No. My wallet actually opened based on the attempts.

Tiny bit of background: Started with the TT in '82, still have maps mini's and a few TRO's. Worked at Virtual World Costa Mesa (like the Battletech Center) and saw their attempts to balance their version of BT. (up to 8 players in a match, usually with 4 per team) The amount of grief we got when the home office revamped dmg/heat/etc was real bad. only in person.

Anyway, Thanks PGI for trying, fingers crossed that the next shot at it works. Trial and error, repeat.

#300 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:14 PM

View Postjaxjace, on 09 October 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

Middle is assault right? the clearly superior gamemode.

Kinda. I know people who hate assault... 1 maybe. Most times it's the only mode nobody complains much about except the darn turrets killing them. It is usually a fight just like skirmish, but forces tactical and strategic decisions, plus a secondary way to win that can be used either as a primary goal or secondary "we just can't find the little bugger and are bored" method to end the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users