Game Mode Preference

100 replies to this topic

#61 IM Bullwinkle

• PipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:07 PM

So the deselected mode should get played less than the other twp selected modes right?

Not working out that way. As someone who PAYS to play this game for myself and three others, I should be able to not have to play the game mode that I HATE. I pay for the heavy and assault mechs that match my play style.

BAD MOVE......

#62 IM Bullwinkle

• PipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:16 PM

Were the long wait times associated with players wanting to play conquest? If the answer is yes, then you have just identified the problem game mode.

CONQUEST AGAIN!!!!!

#63 Isabelle

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 44 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:23 PM

I actually think this change was a good idea. If we used the previous method, where each game mode has it's own que (and people can choose more than one que at a time) every time they add a new game mode, they would add another que, further dividing the relatively small player base. This in turn would lead to the match maker stretching further (ELO wise) to find players for matches in each que leading to less balanced matches over all. Since I would like to see more game modes, and maintain relatively fair matchmaking, I like this change.

#64 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:34 PM

Hm, most of these thoughts do not apply to me, as I play all modes solo pug, but the way the brief read to me it seemed as though the new voting thing would further widen the gap in terms of enjoyment between small groups and large that I have read so much about. If a large group's leader votes for one thing, and a series of small groups' leaders vote diversely on the other team, the probability is slanted in favor of the large group leader's selection, quiaff? This means that small groups are less likely to get the mode of play they desire in the event that their desires differ from the large group's, unless all the smaller groups' votes just happen to coincide without overlapping with the large group's at all. I do not know if this will necessarily be so, so if someone who actually plays in the group queue wishes to provide anecdotal confirmation or contradiction of my hypothesis, that would be pretty neat.

#65 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:41 PM

View Postthisisxerxes, on 07 October 2014 - 03:32 PM, said:

You'd think a saner idea would be to copy what they've done with Mech weight class selection, and read players current game mode prefs: "Skirmish 50%, Conquest 12%, Assault 38% - For faster login times play Skirmish".

Players enjoy making informed decisions.

This is brilliant. PGI do this. Best of all worlds for everyone. Double-posting bedamned.

Edited by Tim East, 07 October 2014 - 04:42 PM.

#66 Diablo Intercepter

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:42 PM

The matches I've played have all been much closer than usual. It's a nice change. Now if only we could change loadouts once we knew what map was selected...

#67 Racersky

• PipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:53 PM

since we are complaining about the screw up...if pgi does decide to revert back, (which I hope so) can the players have a "button" in the menu to "UNLOAD all MODULES from ALL mechs"? thanks in advanced!

p.s. can we have our old system back? thank

#68 Argonlite

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:54 PM

I vote this being a bad move. RE: random mechs as the next level - I recall some comments about CW where you would be selecting a mech of each class to game with and the "selection process" would determine which mech you will use -- MOAR fun. :(

#69 grraystorm

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 27 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Ironhold

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:54 PM

OMG RUSS!!!!!

Why do we even have the match type selection if it MEANS NOTHING?
If you play a light and like to play lights then you tend to love skirmish mode.
I do not like it, I am a Battletech PURIST. In that you set up a tabletop map and wage war with miniatures and dice. the first thing you do is select a map as you may remember... but that is not realistic for this game. However, when I use to compete in the old FASA tournaments there was one thing that you did get to choose.... you guessed it, the game mode or style. I have done a racetrack mode where you raced around for 15 laps, jungles of solaris king of the mountain, and even lance or star vs star.... NEVER have I tried to go into a game that I didn't want to go into.

This is like starting up MWO and getting sucker punched by your PC... instead of launching into the mechbay your PC fires up a rousing game of Microsoft Internet spades... YEAH! What fun.

Dear Russ, whoever had this idea, please... please... put them on the next open test server event on a Piranha hunt in an Urbanmech!

Seriously what were we thinking on this one.... I would MUCH rather have a long wait to play the mode that I WANT to play.

Closed Bate Invite
Founder
Phoenix
Wave I
Wave II

I would think by now our voices might be heard... no more blaming PIG (Publishing: Infinite Games.)
When can I get an Urbanmech with a Hawiian Dancing PIG and and a hanging Piranha skull (NO JOKE.)

#70 Lt Zwicka Greengold

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 10 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn NY

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:07 PM

Forcing players into matches they do not want to be in will not achieve the goal they anticipate. I suspect that they will annoy and anger more players than they think, who will will either disconnect and jump in another chassis or just stop playing. If people stop playing then the faster match-making will not be realized. The disconnects will just annoy players trying to find a good match. Do you really think those people are going to continue to play on a regular basis (or spend hundreds of dollars on mechs and extras). I will try it for a day or two but I don't think it will be too much fun trying to cap in a Dire Wolf or Atlas (and I don't want to be forces to change chassis)
I understand that much of what people complain about that PGI (or any other company) does is to fulfill its management "long view" which in this case appears to be either to save conquest mode or prepare for additional modes. Either way, the short view on this is that their will be no long view along this route. I hope they end this folly sooner rather than later... would love to see a Hot Patch Wednesday!!!

#71 The IronSaint

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Locationchicago

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:08 PM

God I can't wait to get home I'm going to make me a super fast medium mech and just rake in the c bills killing all the little cry baby DCers thank you PGI for the free c bills.

Edited by The IronSaint, 07 October 2014 - 05:08 PM.

#72 Wing 0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 820 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:19 PM

Heres what i dont understand. why was this NOT tested in the PTS?! We tested the 3333 rule there, tested clan packs and tested the recent map which is getting old now. What i dont understand is, WHY WAS THIS NEW SYSTEM NOT TESTED?! Wouldnt it have been best to have this tested and gotten the needed feedback? honestly what hell were you guys THINKING?! From what i saw back when that poll was out about this issue, the amount of votes that were casted before it was locked by Russ, WTF. look how many votes were done! not even 3/4 of the playerbase in MWO even voted on this and that just sad. If this new system was tested in PTS i imagine we wouldnt make such a big fuss on this thread about it but this is just WRONG! You had people buying the Clan Wave 2 packs recently and now you treated those players like trash with this change.

I played 5 matches in this New Matchmaker System in Solo Drop and i absolutely hate it! Sure getting 5 wins is nice but was why i not able to play the gamemode i wanted to do in the Solo Drop?! WHY!? Theres alot of people i feel very sorry for especially for some people who host in the NGNG TV on twitch, 1 Person gets his parties playing conquest on the tuesday nights, and another does Assault on 2 specific days with friends and all and now they dont get that option anymore.. totally f-d up.

#73 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:28 PM

View PostWing 0, on 07 October 2014 - 05:19 PM, said:

Heres what i dont understand. why was this NOT tested in the PTS?! We tested the 3333 rule there, tested clan packs and tested the recent map which is getting old now. What i dont understand is, WHY WAS THIS NEW SYSTEM NOT TESTED?! Wouldnt it have been best to have this tested and gotten the needed feedback? honestly what hell were you guys THINKING?! From what i saw back when that poll was out about this issue, the amount of votes that were casted before it was locked by Russ, WTF. look how many votes were done! not even 3/4 of the playerbase in MWO even voted on this and that just sad. If this new system was tested in PTS i imagine we wouldnt make such a big fuss on this thread about it but this is just WRONG! You had people buying the Clan Wave 2 packs recently and now you treated those players like trash with this change.

I played 5 matches in this New Matchmaker System in Solo Drop and i absolutely hate it! Sure getting 5 wins is nice but was why i not able to play the gamemode i wanted to do in the Solo Drop?! WHY!? Theres alot of people i feel very sorry for especially for some people who host in the NGNG TV on twitch, 1 Person gets his parties playing conquest on the tuesday nights, and another does Assault on 2 specific days with friends and all and now they dont get that option anymore.. totally f-d up.

i assume because the PTS NEVER gives them any real data because the amount of players that participate is SO small.

#74 Deck of Many Things

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:30 PM

This is my first post here, and I've been on for a while. That should say something for how heartfelt the following opinion is:

I do not want to play Conquest or Assault. That's why I check them off.

I could go into a long explanation of why I should be heard and what I've paid for and so on and so forth, but the bottom line is that I do not like the idea that I have to play through the other modes to get to the mode I prefer. I also point out that other online games that I've played tend to conform to the mode of letting the player choose the game mode.

Edited by Erich Hagen, 07 October 2014 - 05:32 PM.

#75 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:35 PM

View PostSteel Claws, on 07 October 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

I also hate it. I detest Conquest mode because most people are ignorant on that mode and now I get stuck playing it. Get a little map and what do they do - they scatter to the four winds trying to caps instead of forming a murder ball and fighting.

And this is all that Skirmish is. How fun is that?

#76 SHIELD MAIDEN

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:36 PM

Hate it, hate it, hate it.

#77 Wing 0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 820 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:39 PM

View PostBigbacon, on 07 October 2014 - 05:28 PM, said:

i assume because the PTS NEVER gives them any real data because the amount of players that participate is SO small.

Only reason it was small was because they didn't give out anything like a day premium time or it was because they placed the testing time at bad scheduled days for it. Last time we did the PTS was testing that new map. It was a disaster because it was very buggy. With something like this and something for the trouble would've gotten people involved but that didn't happen. we had a good assessment with the 3333 testing and it took longer but worked out in the end. This was something that should've been done on there as well.

#78 battlescorps

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:40 PM

I almost never post but this was the last straw this just makes this game un-fun. I have been the most optomistic when it comes to MWO but this is just wrong...

#79 DrSlamastika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 702 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:44 PM

WTH is this stupid thing :( I dont wanna play conquest ! ! ! ! !

also this patch is so freaking buggy . . . . . . still some failure error, false red invalid mechs in mechbays, disappearing guns from mech etc, after relog it good again and also still owned mechs typo on right up corner. . .FIX it please.

Only good thing is finally remove trial mechs from owned mechs.

Edited by DrSlamastika, 07 October 2014 - 05:56 PM.

#80 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:45 PM

View Postbattlescorps, on 07 October 2014 - 05:40 PM, said:

I almost never post but this was the last straw this just makes this game un-fun. I have been the most optomistic when it comes to MWO but this is just wrong...

You hate conquest that much?

I'm really struggling to understand you people's point of view, maybe you guys have perfectly average elo's and your match waits are so short anyway, you don't care?

View PostWing 0, on 07 October 2014 - 05:19 PM, said:

Test servers wouldn't be helfpul for gathering statistics on something like this, they'd really need the full player base, not just a small micro portion. 3/4th's of the player base don't come on the forums anyway, so you have to look at it more like a representative democracy. Personally I'm happy about it, since it means I get matches faster and I'm good at all the different game modes. (However, I do wish that some of the game modes could get some fixes, such as the rewards for Conquest).

Edited by Darth Futuza, 07 October 2014 - 05:46 PM.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users