Huginn Vs Oxide Vs Ember Vs Locust

80 replies to this topic

#1 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:39 AM

The other night I was piloting my Oxide along side a Huginn piloted by [CI]Kinsu. Once I would die I would spectate in his Raven. He is really good and I got to thinking about if I could better my game in a Huginn. Then I read on the forums that people thought the Ember is a better mech.

Out of the Huginn, Oxide, Ember or Locust, minus the c-bill bonus, which one would you buy and why?

FEK315...OUT!

#2 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:01 AM

I have locust, the huggin and oxide. No ember or any of the fire starters.

the oxide for me was a streak boat first, then an LRM boat and now I vary from LRMs and SRM 4's. The Huggin is the same way, but with 4 MG's. The locusts well anyway I can including a PPC or an AC 5.

The ember is a better mech. 4 ML's means no ammo limits and you have lower arm actuators for a better range of motion for the MG's. Then it can have more Jump Jets.

The oxide like the huggin both have to pick its fights, but the huggin can close for the kill with the MGs.

#3 TheStrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 574 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:11 AM

Ember is an excellent hero light. Don't own the other two, but they both look awkward compared to the Ember.

I will admit, it's lethality was reduced slightly with the MG nerf a few months ago. Really wish they'd revisit MG again - they felt good before, now they are a little lacking.

#4 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:13 AM

Somewhere near the periphery, a Death Knell is walking slowly away, its head hung low. No love for the commando again.

From everything I've seen, the Ember is probably the best light mech right now, followed by the 6xML Jenner.

#5 The Trumpet of Gabriel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 193 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:16 AM

Without a doubt, of the mechs selected the Ember is by far the most competitive. Once mastered and well piloted it can wreak havoc amongst the enemy team. It has good durability, speed, maneuverability, firepower, and heat management. So, it offers pretty much what you would want from an ideal light mech chassis.

#6 Creovex

• The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:21 AM

Ember... Numeral Uno....

I have the Oxide (which sucks big time IMO) and the Huggin (which just falls flat IMO) and have to admit I hate both.

FYI - My JR7-D (F) is a better Hero mech then the Oxide... Hell if it wasn't for the paint job I probably never would have got the Oxide... (Who am I kidding, I got all the mech variants of my founder mechs)

Edited by Creovex, 08 October 2014 - 07:26 AM.

#7 Scurry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 375 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:21 AM

The Ember is one of the best light mechs you can get. The Huginn has issues with few jump jets, and relying on 2 missile slots isn't really enough to chew through armour, usually. Oxide can be a decent striker, but the lack of jumpjets makes avoiding fire tricky.

The Locust is a deathtrap. It's good for the lulz and the occasional perception filter uber run, but any other light does better most of the time.

View PostBarkem Squirrel, on 08 October 2014 - 07:01 AM, said:

The ember is a better mech. 4 ML's means no ammo limits and you have lower arm actuators for a better range of motion for the MG's. Then it can have more Jump Jets.

Lower arm actuators don't affect the MGs. They're torso-mounted.

#8 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:32 AM

The Ember is surely one of the deadliest Light Mechs around. If you can drive a Light Mech that is. Me thinks the quad MG's of the Ember are a distinct advantage due to their non-existant heat-output but keeping them on the enemy can be hard at 130-140kph. The Huginn can be quite fun but is completely ammo-dependant. On average you should do best with the Ember. The Ember is a beast. So probably Ember>Oxide>Huginn>Locust.

#9 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:36 AM

Ember >> Oxide >> dog poop > trollocust > Huggin

The ember wrecks faces. I frequently get 500+ damage matches without arty or air strikes, and got plenty of them in the tourney.

#10 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:16 AM

View PostDarwins Dog, on 08 October 2014 - 07:13 AM, said:

Somewhere near the periphery, a Death Knell is walking slowly away, its head hung low. No love for the commando again.

From everything I've seen, the Ember is probably the best light mech right now, followed by the 6xML Jenner.

I love my TDK, 4ml @ 170kph is fun. But like everyone else said the Ember is the way to go if you are looking for damage output in a light hero mech. But since you are willing to look into locusts don't overlook the commandos, they are a little easier to pilot (imo) and can pack a pretty good punch for a little guy.

#11 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:47 AM

"Ember >> Oxide >> dog poop > trollocust > Huggin"= :lol:

You all now have my interest in the Ember. I am not sure I want to buy it yet, which FS and load out should I start out with to get the feel of this mech?
:) :D B)

FEK315...OUT!

Edited by FEK315, 08 October 2014 - 08:51 AM.

#12 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:57 AM

They're all pretty close in loadout. The FS9-H is the closest to the ember, but the extra 2 mg's and 2 less heat building lasers make more difference than you would think.

#13 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:57 AM

4ML, 4MGs is the standard loadout. Melts armor and crits internals...

Edit: For the Ember that is.

Edited by TygerLily, 08 October 2014 - 08:58 AM.

#14 M4NTiC0R3X

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:11 AM

Ember because it's *currently* the best light hero you can get.

Edited by M4NTiC0R3X, 08 October 2014 - 09:12 AM.

#15 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:14 AM

Have both the ember and the huggin. And both excell at different roles. The ember is a harrasser....get in the enemy ranks, hit , get out. The huggin is either a scavenger of a light killer depending if you use srms or streaks...

I find both if them absolute blasts to play...But more people are shocked by a huggin doing 500 damage than an ember...because the huggin is more difficult to do well In...

#16 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:39 AM

seen a commando with lrm 5*s.... i derped.
oxide seems to be awesome when used as hit and run, no jumpjets required since you dont plan to stay longer than the shot.
ember is pretty much the best circle-jerker with its damage/heat efficiency. huginn... would be the mech i go for tho :D

#17 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:44 AM

Personally I find the Ember to be somewhat over-rated. Basically its 20 points of spike from the 4 MLs, followed by spraying the MGs to roll for crits on exposed parts (the MGs are not very useful before armor is stripped). Its a two-step attack, requires some attention to what is damaged while not being shot, and doesn't always payoff reliably. You would probably get same or better results from a light with 4 MLs and 2 SRM4s that also rolled for crits and did a lot more base damage. You can do more spike damage with less effort by using a light that can mount 6x MLs for 30 point alpha. Firestarters are also lacking ECM which means they cannot sneak around very well, everybody sees you and if they know how to play against the loadout you will become the hunted instead of the hunter. Ember is not bad by any means, its a nice mech, fun to use, challenging, but its not the best for everything. Cold wet blanket on that wave of enthusiasm ^^

#18 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:14 PM

Firestarters to me are the best overall fighting light. Lots of different loadouts you can do on them. Ember used to be my favorite go to mech until they changed the AC5.

Locusts are GREAT fun once you get them speedtweaked, module loaded, AND you understand how to play with it. It is very rewarding.

not a huge fan of the jenner. trying to get through 3 variants now and I really dislike them.

Ravens are great as well. I really loved my Huginn and 3L. 3L, to me, is the best support platform in the light game. Huginn with dual SRM6s+artemis and great fun.

#19 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:09 PM

Ember is probably the overall "best" mech out of those, though the Locust has a very low opportunity cost in comparison (you can kit one out with the basics for less than the cost of a module, really) and is really not as bad as people call it. It just takes a sort of ability to gauge the risks involved and accept near-instant death when you take one too many.

#20 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:15 PM

View PostTim East, on 08 October 2014 - 06:09 PM, said:

It just takes a sort of ability to gauge the risks involved and accept near-instant death when you take one too many.

FTFY

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users