208 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:53 PM

Feedback on Community Warfare - Phase 2 - Oct 8th edition can go in this thread.

Spoiler

#2 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:56 PM

I guess that "sounds OK".

FYI, "O" is currently used for "override" in the default config IIRC.

#3 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:05 PM

Can you change the text colour for either the question or answer in the Q/A so that it is easier to read the questions vs the answer. It is a very bright blurry wall of text to get through.

Just a suggestion :)

Edited by White Bear 84, 08 October 2014 - 06:06 PM.

#4 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:06 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 08 October 2014 - 05:56 PM, said:

I guess that "sounds OK".

FYI, "O" is currently used for "override" in the default config IIRC.

Fine.. I'll make it W. ;)

O was used as an example. We'll map it to a non-bound key which players can rebind later.

#5 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:07 PM

This all looks good. A couple things I am not thrilled about still, such as seasons, but i am extremely excited to start seeing it come together. Thanks for the updates, Paul, and keep them coming!

#6 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:07 PM

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 08 October 2014 - 06:05 PM, said:

Can you change the text colour for either the question or answer in the Q/A so that it is easier to read the questions vs the answer. It is a very bright blurry wall of text to get through.

Just a suggestion :)

At this very moment? no.. I'm going home. But once I'm home.. I can mess with the colors to help separate. :)

#7 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:08 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 08 October 2014 - 06:06 PM, said:

Fine.. I'll make it W. ;)

That would be a HILARIOUS first match, lol

#8 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:11 PM

How do you intend to handle increasing wait-times for matches if there are not enough attackers / defenders for a planet? Would you consider Training Ground like "PvE" filler missions?

If a planet is attacked, and no defenders show up within a reasonable time frame, the attackers will automatically get the win on that planet.

I don't like this result. Having matches/planets determined by forfeitures is not productive... like in league play.

Why not just increase the Assault window or reduce the token rate (as in it isn't a full token, maybe like a half token)? Having non-match results is not something that would be interesting to occur. It'll probably still happen, but at least it wouldn't end up being a "free handout" for showing up.

Edited by Deathlike, 08 October 2014 - 06:12 PM.

#9 Zyllos

• 2,818 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:13 PM

One thing I would like to suggestion:

Move away from *must* take 4 mechs.

If the tonnage limit is low enough (say 140t), let players take a Mad Cat and Mad Dog (losing 5 tons). I will take a Centurion, Blackjack, Commando, and Locust.

This allows for a nice variation between number of re spawns, incentive to take multiple Medium/Lights to get more re spawns, and to be unique in their drop decks.

It also allows for unique strategies dependent on the attack/defend and unit.

Edited by Zyllos, 08 October 2014 - 06:16 PM.

#10 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:15 PM

All great info, I like the dropship idea a lot, very nice.

I have a concern though. Merc Corps, and Lone Wolves being forced to pick a faction.

I made a unit of Lone Wolves. Most of us have no desire to be a part of any house or clan. There is a member with no clan mechs and one who will not play clans. So immediatly there is the very good probability of the unit fracturing.

This bothers me, as we are a small casual unit who just like to have fun, and the unit is quite friendly. So it would be quite unpleasent to see anyone have to make such a hard choice.

I am confused as to why you would effectively remove the mercenary aspect from MWOMercs. Is this a temporary thing (really), to gather data for warefare and how borders will shift and systems taken/lost, or is it temporary like knockdown(take no insult)?

Could there be an alternative ? Say, we can remain as Lone Wolves/Merc Corps, but must take a contract for a house/clan ? This would fulfill the faction requirement AND let us remain as mercenaries.
The contract would last the season and upon it's conclusion the mercenary is able to take another contract for the same or another potential employer, at no penalty.

The reason I say no penalty, is that it is the nature of the mercenary to go where the money is. Reputation(LP) for doing well for a house/clan should not be taken away for a mercenary playing just that, a mercenary.

As I said before, this is my only real concern. All the rest is pretty damn good.

#11 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:19 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 08 October 2014 - 06:07 PM, said:

At this very moment? no.. I'm going home. But once I'm home.. I can mess with the colors to help separate. :)

Paul "At this very moment? no.. I'm going home."
WB: "I'm sorry, Paul. I'm afraid I can't let you do that."
Paul "What's the problem?"
WB: "I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do."
Paul "What are you talking about, WB?"
WB: "This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it."

:P

But seriously, go home and get some sleep!

Posted Image

Edited by White Bear 84, 08 October 2014 - 06:21 PM.

#12 Zyllos

• 2,818 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:19 PM

View PostDirk Le Daring, on 08 October 2014 - 06:15 PM, said:

All great info, I like the dropship idea a lot, very nice.

I have a concern though. Merc Corps, and Lone Wolves being forced to pick a faction.

I made a unit of Lone Wolves. Most of us have no desire to be a part of any house or clan. There is a member with no clan mechs and one who will not play clans. So immediatly there is the very good probability of the unit fracturing.

This bothers me, as we are a small casual unit who just like to have fun, and the unit is quite friendly. So it would be quite unpleasent to see anyone have to make such a hard choice.

I am confused as to why you would effectively remove the mercenary aspect from MWOMercs. Is this a temporary thing (really), to gather data for warefare and how borders will shift and systems taken/lost, or is it temporary like knockdown(take no insult)?

Could there be an alternative ? Say, we can remain as Lone Wolves/Merc Corps, but must take a contract for a house/clan ? This would fulfill the faction requirement AND let us remain as mercenaries.
The contract would last the season and upon it's conclusion the mercenary is able to take another contract for the same or another potential employer, at no penalty.

The reason I say no penalty, is that it is the nature of the mercenary to go where the money is. Reputation(LP) for doing well for a house/clan should not be taken away for a mercenary playing just that, a mercenary.

As I said before, this is my only real concern. All the rest is pretty damn good.

This is my 2nd concern.

I feel that merc units and lone wolves are not represented. I am not sure why they are not allowed to just fill in missing slots on any side (lone wolves) or fight for any at the current moment (mercs).

Of course, I think Paul said this is because they are afraid of fracturing the community into too many buckets used to fighting.

#13 slide

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:21 PM

Any examples of the benefit a unit/faction gets beyond having it's banner hanging over the planet it just won?

examples
Cbill boost
cheaper mechs

you mentioned players will still earn most of their Cbills in the public queues we have now. Will the CW matches have similar rewards something completely different or none at all?

I can't see many people spending their money and time playing for an hour or more if they cant make a similar amount to what they would just pugging it. particularly anyone with a Cbill shortage.

Edited by slide, 08 October 2014 - 06:24 PM.

#14 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:23 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 08 October 2014 - 06:11 PM, said:

I don't like this result. Having matches/planets determined by forfeitures is not productive... like in league play.

Why not just increase the Assault window or reduce the token rate (as in it isn't a full token, maybe like a half token)? Having non-match results is not something that would be interesting to occur. It'll probably still happen, but at least it wouldn't end up being a "free handout" for showing up.

I get what you mean, but if no one wants to defend the planet - which I think will be unlikely to say the least - then why not actually give the attackers the planet even quicker? If no one had opposed Germany in WWII, do you think they would have slowed down just to give us time to get around to showing up?

View PostDirk Le Daring, on 08 October 2014 - 06:15 PM, said:

That is basically how the "season" is, where you are taking a contract for that faction for that season, whether you are a merc, lone wolf, or loyalist.

I disagree with the seasonal reset, at least as explained so far, but there should be a loyalty penalty regardless of what type unit you are. Do you think the Dragoons jumping around Houses made them thought of as hugely loyal to them?

#15 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:25 PM

View Postslide, on 08 October 2014 - 06:21 PM, said:

Any examples of the benefit a unit/faction gets beyond having it's banner hanging over the planet it just won?

examples
Cbill boost
cheaper mechs

That is supposed to be a part of logistics, which is Phase 3+. IMO, this will be when CW is fully realized, so I cannot wait!

#16 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:29 PM

View PostZyllos, on 08 October 2014 - 06:19 PM, said:

Of course, I think Paul said this is because they are afraid of fracturing the community into too many buckets used to fighting.

I was just thinking that maybe we do not have enough players to properly iron out how CW will work, and that may be a reason for forcing the choice. Just a thought.

#17 Zyllos

• 2,818 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:32 PM

View PostCimarb, on 08 October 2014 - 06:25 PM, said:

That is supposed to be a part of logistics, which is Phase 3+. IMO, this will be when CW is fully realized, so I cannot wait!

Ya, logistics will be where the "real fun" begins.

But that is a ways out.

View PostDirk Le Daring, on 08 October 2014 - 06:29 PM, said:

I was just thinking that maybe we do not have enough players to properly iron out how CW will work, and that may be a reason for forcing the choice. Just a thought.

Initially, that is exactly why he is doing this.

But I think the game can play right if as long as there is a healthy number of Mercs/Lone Wolves that can represent an under represented faction (like the FRR).

#18 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:33 PM

View PostCimarb, on 08 October 2014 - 06:23 PM, said:

That is basically how the "season" is, where you are taking a contract for that faction for that season, whether you are a merc, lone wolf, or loyalist.

But I will no longer be a Lone Wolf, I will be playing as a faction member, not a mercenary working FOR a faction. The badge, while not much to some, certainly means something to another.

#19 stevemac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 415 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWazan Meat Grinder

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:34 PM

The part about MU/LW

Do we have to change our unit faction in the Unit Leaders profile to say Davion for example or will this be a modular in cw that we select our faction.

#20 orcrist86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon Institute of Science

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:34 PM

[color=orange]The Leopard Dropship is now VTAL[/color]
[color=#00FFFF]The Leopard Drop Ship is now a VTAL (Vertial Take-off And Landing) ship. It will be used to drop 'Mechs off at various respawn points on the map. This specifically allows us to either swoop the Leopard into the game space to drop 'Mechs off at low altitudes, or do high altitude/near hover drops of 'Mechs into the game space. The animations involved are in our test level at the moment and is visible in debug builds. We will probably be doing some video capture next update.[/color]

OMG I just flashed back to MW2... a good thing. Paul, you have just made my day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users