141 replies to this topic

#21 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:47 AM

Thank you David :) looking at these builds it is obvious that managing weapon groups is something I will need to work on. My lights tend to have no more than two groups and a lot of them are still designed to be used as an alpha with a quick hit and run. Oh well learning new stuff is half the fun for me anyway!

#22 DivineEvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 903 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation, Moscow

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:47 AM

First of all, I'd recommend to stick with medium for at least two chassies mastered. I've been studying some of our members choices of mechs to develop and jumping between classes is a tough business and can get you in sticky stuff even with a proper choice of a chassis.

As for the Mediums, here's a short rundown:
In lower braket there's Cicadas, Blackjacks and Vindicators.
Cicada is basically a large Raven, though it doesn't sport JJs, but otherwise is a bigger but more protected Light mech with small torso sections and legs taking up 3/4 of the mech stature. Good mech overall, but not a new experience really for a Light mech pilot. Require XLs for effective runs.

Blackjacks are Medium-class snipers. They have JJ's but limited in speed. They also have very little, highly mounted arms perfect for sniping out from ridges and poptarting (shooting while jumping). Very vulnerable in close combat due to large torso sides. Require XLs for effective runs.

Vindicators are mobile fire-support and hit-and-run platforms. They're quite similar to former chassis, larger but more durable due to quirks and arms, that can be used for shielding, and also having a missile hardpoint for varied uses. Very versatile, but not really a definite sniper nor brawler. Can roll both on Standards and XLs, but personally I recommend XLs since it would give more efficient survivability and additional firepower compared to STDs.

In middle bracket there's Hunchbacks, Centurions and Trebuchets.
Hunchback is a mech to choose here. Each variant sports a different hardpoint setup for specific uses, and the chassis itself is relatively compact. You can run whatever you want in those, literally.

Centurions are more dedicated brawler variation of the Hunchback, with it's huge arms and forthcoming quirks. It's more of a all-round in weapon layouts and runs better with XL than Hunchie. It's quite hard to get used to, but is best mech to learn how to shield damage away from your torsos with.

Trebuchets are much more dedicated missile platforms, though it has a ballistic variant too. The most significant difference is JJs. Overall a very good chassis and I like them better than two previous ones due to mobility. Even with XLs it feels you lack tonnage to bring them to full power, but there are solid builds for them nonetheless.

In higher bracket, theres Kintaros, Shadow Hawks, Griffins and Wolverines.
Kintaros I don't ever wanted to use, so I don't know what it really is, aside from being heavier Trebuchets, that can't jump.

Shadow Hawks are currently the best (meta-based) Inner Sphere medium mechs, sporting a practical variety of different combinations of hardpoints. They're very flexible, fitting good for fire-support and sniping, but have torso twist limitations and arms with questionable covering, which does make them bad for brawling.

Griffins excel where Shadow Hawks don't. It's a very mobile, durable and comfortable chassis with different ratios of missile and energy hardpoints. Good for indirect fire-support and brawling. Has very good arms and almost boundless torso twist, which allows to shield damage in any circumstances, and being able to fire back when running dead-away from an enemy. Don't have ballistics and relatively tall.

Wolverines are middle-ground between previous two. Comparatively short, but chubby. From Shadowhawk, Griffin and Wolverine, latter suits for brawling the most. Doesn't seems to be popular though, since not many can see any significant pros compared to formers, and those who can just doesn't like to brawl that much.

If you need specific tips or builds for those mechs, will be happy to help.
In case you'd still decide to sport a Heavy or an Assault, choose from the lighter side of the class, as they usually run faster and depend on it more, compared even to their lower-class neighbors.

Edited by DivineEvil, 11 October 2014 - 07:49 AM.

#23 MadLibrarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Essay

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:58 AM

If you want a 55 tonner that you can still get good speed plus firepower and JJs, try the Trebuchet. Nice hitboxes for XLs, and plenty of potential for mixing up your loadouts.

The tbt-3C can use a 390xl if you can afford it and want a jumpless speed demon.
The tbt-7K is capable of carrying an ac20, but will be much slower.
My favorite is the hero. The tbt-lg can be a nice jump brawler with SRM 16+ and 2ML, bunches of ammo, max armor, and 105/115kph(xl325). (2xSRM6 + 2xSRM2 = sweet) (SRM 20/24 is possible, but I don't think it's worth losing speed.)

I like to get up close enough to use the srms accurately, but far enough away to dodge most of their shots. Nothing quite like strafing and making a guy miss you completely, then popping him in the face/back with an srm alpha. After a couple misses they usually stop firing at me if they have other targets, at which point they might as well get ready to eject. :)

#24 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:23 PM

MadLibrarian, love your sig! Also I was not even considering trebuchets until I read your description, you make them sound really fun.

DivineEvil, thank you for such a well laid out guide to medium mechs :) I think I wil take your advice and stick to mediums for awhile a lot of interesting mechs to choose from and it looks like a lot of them can run 90kph + which will be very helpful to me in transitioning from lights.

#25 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:46 PM

View Post3xnihilo, on 11 October 2014 - 06:47 AM, said:

Thank you David :) looking at these builds it is obvious that managing weapon groups is something I will need to work on. My lights tend to have no more than two groups and a lot of them are still designed to be used as an alpha with a quick hit and run. Oh well learning new stuff is half the fun for me anyway!

Learning how to control your fire and group your weapons is the hardest part of learning a Mech. If you don't do it right, heat becoms a problem :P.

#26 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:13 PM

If you're thinking of going big and have some flexibility as a fire support, the Stalker might be of interest to you. Regarding your weapon interestst, the Non-Hero variants lack a ballistic hardpoint and the Misery Hero can't do LRMs well, so you'll be left with one or the other.

While often being sold as a cowards' 'Mech, the Stalker has immense durability from the front and can take bruisings that would kill most other 'Mechs. To elaborate on that: the hitbox layout has the STs take up the complete front except for a very thin line along the nose that counts as the CT. Conversely, the CT hitbox takes up a lot of space from above and below, which can be especially nasty when you are targeted by LRMs, so AMS will be mandatory.

The big weakness other than its large side profile that makes the use of XL extremely ill-advised is that is has a rather low engine-cap of 315, though most prefer the weight saved with a 300 for only a miniscule trade-off in speed. To sweeten the deal though, the Stalker sits at my personal sweet spot for Assault 'Mech weight. With 85 tons, you can get a decent amount of speed out of your 'Mech with smaller tonnage investments while still allowing for a sizable amount of weaponry.

Now to the boring part, a history lesson:

The Stalker was concieved as a multi-range weapons platform that is capable of engaging a target from any distance. The design ideal of overlapping ranges made the Stalker an extremely sucessful Spearhead 'Mech that has achieved a popularity among all houses that is has become one of the most common 'Mechs in the Inner Sphere. To quote sarna here:

Both the Free Worlds League and Lyran Commonwealth were [thus] able to maintain the largest number of Stalkers in their arsenals, but still the 'Mech was so common throughout the Inner Sphere and Periphery that some pilots lost their fear of it (at least until they had to face one in combat).

Up until now has the canonical (stock) loadout of the 3F been extremely sucessful with me and I've applied a slightly modified version to the 5S to combine it with dual AMS.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b857e7e3f0e3a70

The biggest problem: Heat management. Despite Double Heat Sinks does the loadout still suffer from most of the same issues the old design faced on the field. Firing everything together gets really hot, really fast. In my case, I've divided the weapons into 5 pairs, each assigned to its own group. That 26% may look frightening, but if you use 'Mech lab to split the weapons by range, you'll see much more reasonable numbers. For ease of acess, I'll list the range profiles here as plain text.
Spoiler

The mixed ranges also help migitating the lackluster mobility by allowing the Stalker to pick its fights the way it is most beneficial to it. You can engage a brawler from afar until he is too damaged to keep up with you at close range or you can force a sniper out of their comfort zone by getting close and personal. That being said, as a dedicated fire support 'Mech, this design is not very powerful on its own and needs a fairly cooridinated group to play its strenghts. If solo drops are your primary engagements, you might not find that much enjoyment from using this design. In a group however, it can enhance the group's performance by changing its style of engagement to fit the current situation, be it providing fire support from the second line, lobbing LRMs at priority targets, or using its amazing ST hitboxes to lead the push as the tip of the spear.

I've noticed the best performance when dropping in a group of at least 6 people (and maybe a NARC Raven ;) ). Being able to directly communicate and coordinate with at least half of your team makes it much easier to choose the best style of engagement and to be where it counts.

Wow, this has gotten rather lenghty, hope you liked the read.

#27 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:34 PM

oh thanks by the way some thing i for got to say about my kto 18 is dont alpha the mlasers it hurts your dps as they build to much heat they are more to fill in and be back up after you are out of ammo

#28 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 October 2014 - 06:59 AM

Seth, I am a total nerd so I love reading long posts about the history and builds of mechs. Stalkers are one of those mechs I wish I could pilot but I cannot make assaults work. Much props though to those of you who can. They are quite terrifying when well piloted.

#29 Eaerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:24 AM

Try a stormcrow, its fast, packs a good punch (my favorite being an LB20-X and 5erml's) good hit boxes. only lacks in JJ's.

#30 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:13 AM

View PostEaerie, on 12 October 2014 - 07:24 AM, said:

Try a stormcrow, its fast, packs a good punch (my favorite being an LB20-X and 5erml's) good hit boxes. only lacks in JJ's.
. Actually the only clan mech I would consider at this point. I am not a big fan of the kitfox or adder.

#31 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:23 AM

View PostSoul Tribunal, on 10 October 2014 - 08:45 AM, said:

Blackjack!

This thing is a true Ridge poking sniper / support brawler. You can build them fast enough to help with flanks and repositioning, and you can build it with enough weapons to put out an astonishing amount of damage.
I run all mine with an XL since, lets face it you are not designed to be face hugging anything.

And with 6 different models, you can run (as I do) 6 different weapon configurations and try everything out throughout the lineup.
They really do make for a fun mech to cause havoc in.

-ST

I'll second the Blackjack. Only 1 thing to keep in mind with the BJ, it's slow. It's not going to be as fast as some of the other medium chassis, but those high mounted weapons make up for the lack of speed.

#32 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:34 AM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 12 October 2014 - 08:23 AM, said:

I'll second the Blackjack. Only 1 thing to keep in mind with the BJ, it's slow. It's not going to be as fast as some of the other medium chassis, but those high mounted weapons make up for the lack of speed.

My son runs blackjacks but I never got the hang of them. Maybe they would work better for me in a sniper role.

Edited by 3xnihilo, 12 October 2014 - 10:41 AM.

#33 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:20 AM

View Post3xnihilo, on 12 October 2014 - 09:34 AM, said:

My son runs blackjacks but I never got the hang of them. Maybe they would work better for me in a sniper role.

Treb 7K or the Shadowhawks work much better in sniping

before the S-hawk landed and the poptarting blew out of hand,the gauss+ppc treb was the most annoying skinny kid on the block.

#34 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:23 AM

FS9-H (a.k.a The Poor Man's Ember)

4x Med Pulse Lasers
2x MG's
XL 265 (i think....)

This thing does wonders for me, crit chances are through the roof once enemy armor is gone.

#35 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:52 PM

Darth - I like the Firestarters, I actually run those already...didn't mention them in the op because I prefer the "ultralight" mechs because there is probably something wrong with my head. But I like the 4 mpl build I will try that (I think I have a combo of meds and smalls right now).

#36 Soul Tribunal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 606 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:34 PM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 12 October 2014 - 08:23 AM, said:

It is slow'er but still quite a capable chassis. The one thing I like is you can make a trade off with them that works. For my BJ-A , I run it with the Max engine (XL235) so it with speed tweak is cresting 93km/h. It carries a pair of AC2's and 3 ML's. Basically your best bet is to spend the first 3-4min making an absolute nusicane of yourself, I find that even plinking a few shells into mechs gets their attention and forces them to stop what they were doing. This can be greatly benifical, because the rule of combat (and it works in here) is if you keep your enemy reacting to you you will always have the iniative. With the Blackjacks you can shoot and scoot (tourmoline is the best for it). Constantly repositioning and making them waste LRM's.

Or as an alternate you can take the BJ-3, make it slower and put a pair of AC5's in it.
Lock yourself onto the side of the teams heavies and surprise them all with some serious damage.
AC5 + cooldown module + Range Module = Deadly.
They are slower than some mediums, but can still be fast.

-ST

#37 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:54 PM

Jagermech.

If long range support is your thing, you can rest easy knowing the Jager is king.

The Jager has it's niche in long range direct fire support, and few mechs in the game can rival it when it fights on it's own terms.

It has amazing high mounted arms, so you need only expose the tiniest portions of your silhouette to unleash furious torrents of dakka. The arms also have a very small front hitbox, meaning you can run far less armour on the arms than you would on other mechs.

You can also mount just about anything, as all three variants (4 if you count the FB, which is one of the best hero mechs in the game, IMHO) cover weapons from all the spectrums, though Dakka is the favoured flavour.

3xAC5 or UAC5 are fantastic weapons. Dual AC20's are still astoundingly powerful. It can also mount Dual Gauss, which in my honest opinion is one of the best anti-clan weapon systems and builds, though it is a little slow and fragile. It's not fantastic as a missile boat, but 2 ALRM15's and a couple of MLAS is a nice build also.

Drawbacks?

It has enormous side torsos, and the best builds mount XL engines. This means you should exercise caution when brawling. Meta DW's can almost one shot you if you aren't careful.

If you think about where you want to be on the battlefield though, and if you try to avoid being the first thing the enemy sees at the start of a match, you can really lay down the hurt. Play like a rogue; peek over cover, shoot someone in the junk or face, and melt away. Practice aiming for faces. Mount 3xAC5 and chain fire them forever. If they ever fix AC2's, you can mount 4 of them with ease. Always relocate if you're the center of attention. Follow higher priority targets, and support them. Mount Dual Gauss, and help ensure that fewer people want to run light mechs. Or medium mechs. Or heavies.

Seriously, dual-gauss is amazing. You can't take a hit, but you can really dish out the hurt. Gauss cooldown, Gauss range, advanced zoom and radar derp or info gathering. DO IT.

#38 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:55 AM

Kiiyor-sounds like you need some skill to pilot your jägers which probably rules me out haha :) But running dual gauss does sound pretty deadly.

Thanks for all the opinions, I think I am going to wait until I get my free centurion next week and run that for awhile to see how I like it. The trebuchets have also caught my fancy so I am leaning cents then trebs or maybe both at the same time if I can keep the cbills flowing :)

Edited by 3xnihilo, 15 October 2014 - 07:56 AM.

#39 Soul Tribunal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 606 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:57 PM

View Post3xnihilo, on 15 October 2014 - 07:55 AM, said:

Kiiyor-sounds like you need some skill to pilot your jägers which probably rules me out haha :) But running dual gauss does sound pretty deadly.

Thanks for all the opinions, I think I am going to wait until I get my free centurion next week and run that for awhile to see how I like it. The trebuchets have also caught my fancy so I am leaning cents then trebs or maybe both at the same time if I can keep the cbills flowing :)

The Treb's get a bad name, and I've heard a lot of hate against them. Which is probably why I picked up 3 models (I'm a sucker for the Underdog Mech). They are a bit on the tall side, and require a bit more exposure to really make work, but I've found they are pretty XL friendly, I tried STD engines and found it only kept me alive a tiny bit longer. So I opted for Firepower over survival (which is my motto for most of my Builds with the exception of my Atlas). They can really dish it out. With a good combination of Lasers and LRM's. A great supporting mech (just be cautions when you expose yourself, and only do it if they aren't paying attention to you). Right now my 7K sports a 4.19 K/D Ratio, and a 3.25 W/L Ratio. I use Twin AC2's, 2 ML's and an LRM in the arm. Its a great DPS over time Mech just spitting out AC2 rounds quickly.

Another Medium you may want to consider even though they are as well very under rated is the Wolverine. There are only 3 Chassis to choose from, and thus far I have found them quite capable if you can grasp the mediums playstyle.

-ST

#40 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:00 PM

View PostSoul Tribunal, on 15 October 2014 - 12:57 PM, said:

Another Medium you may want to consider even though they are as well very under rated is the Wolverine. There are only 3 Chassis to choose from, and thus far I have found them quite capable if you can grasp the mediums playstyle.

Only reason the Wolverine is under rated is because of the 6K :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users