woo?

#2 Tristan Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:51 AM

Great news! Hopefully, we'll see a lot more new faces.

#3 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:56 AM

This should definitely increase the amount of players in game. At least for people willing to give it a try.

#4 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:05 AM

please for the love of all that is holy read the topic in my sig before ever going to steam... the influx of clueless steam players with no teamwork, tutorials or otherwise would be too much to bear lol

Although with a much much much better new player experience and dragging the community off the forums and more into the game... it will be beautiful

#5 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:08 AM

This is good news IF Steam bootstrapper doesn't glitch/crash the game when you get instant messaged like it does now.

A major benefit of Steam people seem it be forgetting is the free voice chat for all players.

Edited by lockwoodx, 10 October 2014 - 07:11 AM.

#6 Lootee

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:12 AM

If true get more practice carrying 11 derps on your team. You'll need it.

#7 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:13 AM

View PostLootee, on 10 October 2014 - 07:12 AM, said:

If true get more practice carrying 11 derps on your team. You'll need it.

Not when you can just tell them what to do over steam voice. Focus fire and meta builds are going to be a real issue again if the hard point restrictions don't go through, and even then they might have to nerf weapons/buff armor or the cries from pug matches will flood these forums due to how easy it is to obliterate anyone with just 1 focused lance let alone 3.

Edited by lockwoodx, 10 October 2014 - 07:15 AM.

#8 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:15 AM

[color="#b27204"] [/color]
  • Members
  • Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
  • 275 posts

Posted Today, 08:05 AM
please for the love of all that is holy read the topic in my sig before ever going to steam... the influx of clueless steam players with no teamwork, tutorials or otherwise would be too much to bear lol

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DUDe do you think PGI cares about your statement ROFL ROFL all they care about is making the cash and pissing off there player base.

#9 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:16 AM

View Postlockwoodx, on 10 October 2014 - 07:08 AM, said:

This is good news IF Steam bootstrapper doesn't glitch/crash the game when you get instant messaged like it does now.

A major benefit of Steam people seem it be forgetting is the free voice chat for all players.

I ran MWO through Steam on my old PC (Windows 7) but for some reason with this new one and Windows 8.1, it doesn't seem to let me make a launch icon that lets people on my friends list see me playing MWO. I also took plenty of screenshots with it as well and it's all saved on my Steam Cloud.

http://steamcommunit...81/screenshots/

It's handy for sure and yes the steam voice chat isn't the greatest but it's not really bad.

#10 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:19 AM

I don't know how I feel about this...

#11 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:27 AM

View PostNgamok, on 10 October 2014 - 07:16 AM, said:

I ran MWO through Steam on my old PC (Windows 7) but for some reason with this new one and Windows 8.1, it doesn't seem to let me make a launch icon that lets people on my friends list see me playing MWO. I also took plenty of screenshots with it as well and it's all saved on my Steam Cloud.

I have the same issue with Win 7. Sometimes it wants to work, others not so much. MWO is also still the only game the Nvidia Experience software won't optimize so I'm guessing it's not a Steam or Windows issue.

#12 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:29 AM

I knew this was going to happen already, I forget when it was first said. Anywho, after Community Warfare is done, they need to work on tutorials. Right now the tutorial is just a basic movement explanation. Which is good, but still leaves the player in the dark about some other things.

Examples:
How information works, and how it helps. (Make sure to show the player that if another mech looks at something behind cover, it will appear on your radar. And how it can tell you how injured stuff is. Just some examples of that)
Weapon differences between Energy, Ballistic, and Missiles:
Weapon Specifics: LRMs, Gauss Rifles, Flamers, ECM, BAP
Differences between weight classes
A rundown on each game mode
Showing a few examples of good teamwork like focus firing, moving as a group (To reduce the damage to get into a greatly better position instead of everyone taking extra damage that shouldnt take), and ambushing (along with talking about how rear armor is weak.
Mech Specifics: Missile bay doors/King Crab's claws (please do this, otherwise new players think they are lagging when they shoot and will blame the game). Torso weapon focused vs arm weapon focused mechs. Difference between XL and Standard, and Clan XL. High weapon mounts vs low weapon mounts and cockpit position. Various hit box examples.

Mech purchase and Mech Lab tutorial.

Maybe a Community Warfare Tutorial (but not as required as the others due to CW supposed to be the hard core mode)

Newer players are very unlikely to know many of these things, and it's incredibly important. If players do not understand how to play, they are more easily frustrated. Considering how much of a boost Pilot skills and min/maxed builds give, this is required.

When proper tutorials get in, I'll be happy when MWO gets on steam. but if it gets in before proper tutorials, it'll probably just drive away newbies.

#13 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:35 AM

View PostSadist Cain, on 10 October 2014 - 07:05 AM, said:

Although with a much much much better new player experience and dragging the community off the forums and more into the game... it will be beautiful

So basically you are saying you DON'T want new Players and you DON'T want the game to get bigger, get Voice options, or anything that will help it.

Awesome....so the toxic fan base will once again chase away newcomers.....*sigh*

I dont see how any of you can think for one second this is bad for the game. Just because not everyone is l33t meta tryhards you think they should just not bother? I'm just curious as to where you are getting this sense of entitlement? They have the same right to play this game as you...maybe some of them would even pay some money and help us ALL OUT?!

View Postlockwoodx, on 10 October 2014 - 07:27 AM, said:

I have the same issue with Win 7. Sometimes it wants to work, others not so much. MWO is also still the only game the Nvidia Experience software won't optimize so I'm guessing it's not a Steam or Windows issue.

I think its a Cryengine issue but i am not even sure....

#14 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:36 AM

Three cheers for Russ! Now we can bring in more players and let the BT legacy continue on!

#15 Valore

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:44 AM

They've gone about it the right way. This game will get absolutely trashed on Steam if released as noob unfriendly as it is right now, with little long game content.

Oh, and as others have said, be prepared for this:

Posted Image

#16 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:48 AM

View PostDarthRevis, on 10 October 2014 - 07:35 AM, said:

So basically you are saying you DON'T want new Players and you DON'T want the game to get bigger, get Voice options, or anything that will help it.

Awesome....so the toxic fan base will once again chase away newcomers.....*sigh*

I dont see how any of you can think for one second this is bad for the game. Just because not everyone is l33t meta tryhards you think they should just not bother? I'm just curious as to where you are getting this sense of entitlement? They have the same right to play this game as you...maybe some of them would even pay some money and help us ALL OUT?!

I think its a Cryengine issue but i am not even sure....

Quite taken aback here, did you even bother to read my post? Before you witter about a "sense of entitlement" try losing your own and not being so eye bendingly obnoxious, I do hope this was a mis-quote because you don't strike me as someone who would act as such.

the influx of clueless steam players with no teamwork, tutorials or otherwise would be too much to bear lol

View PostKeeshu, on 10 October 2014 - 07:29 AM, said:

When proper tutorials get in, I'll be happy when MWO gets on steam. but if it gets in before proper tutorials, it'll probably just drive away newbies.

View PostValore, on 10 October 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:

They've gone about it the right way. This game will get absolutely trashed on Steam if released as noob unfriendly as it is right now, with little long game content.

Also if you weren't so very defensive and short sighted you'll see that I've written an absolutely mammoth topic about how to improve teamwork in small groups & pugs and general ideas to improve the epxerience for new players and provide a better quality of matches for all.
You'll notice that topic disappeared off the bottom underneath a lot of complaining threads, because some people in this community are way to fast to throw stones without reading things first...
Now if you get off your bloody high horse you will see that what I'm saying is that shifting to steam is a bad idea if:
  • The new player experience remains as bad as it is
  • The Community on the in-game client remains non existent outside of trash talk over chat during matches
  • The only presence of organised units if on the forums/private websites
  • There remains to be minimal mechanics to encourage teamwork, leadership and lance play
As long as all those things stick around if the game eventually moves to steam then you'll have plenty of soloing "meta-try hards" to bemoan against because that's all new players will do without guidance.

Christ on a crutch, some kneejerk.

Edited by Sadist Cain, 10 October 2014 - 08:09 AM.

#17 Kirkland Langue

• Bad Company
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:59 AM

Russ says after CW.

"nothing to see here, move along."

#18 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:01 AM

I have to say Hawken is about dead on steam because the devs made it a P2Win game with no social interactions and MWO is about in the same boat I think if PGI puts MWO on steam it will have a short shelf life because to me its a unfinished unpolished game and any new player knows this fact in just a hour of game play.

Even if CW is finished it most likely will be a shallow rehash on what is already a boring grind game with no true meta.Me and my family that play as a group and friends are already moving over to a awesome fun PVP game WarThunder where the devs do make it a AAA MMO online experience with this last patch the game excels at game fun and competitive PVP.

Edited by PappySmurf, 10 October 2014 - 08:05 AM.

#19 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:02 AM

I didn't read your post, Sadist, but my first thought when I saw the tweet was, "Man, we're going to need much better tutorials to handle the aimless steam crowd." Not that steam is a bad thing but yeah, going to need the game client itself to stand up and teach people to play.

Edited by Redshift2k5, 10 October 2014 - 08:03 AM.

#20 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:04 AM

I don't mind it going to Steam so much.

I think long term it could be a good thing.

The thing that worries me is the large influx of Steam based hacking that will occur.

There's quite a few groups on Steam that dedicate themselves to finding exploits and creating hacks to the games on Steam.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users