#21 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:12 AM

View PostHawk819, on 12 October 2014 - 06:56 AM, said:

In my opinion, Machine Guns should not be allowed on certain `Mechs unless specified by the Technical Readout, i.e. 3005, etc. The Mad Cat and Thor are the exception to this. Due to the fact that each has a variant for Machine Guns along with Black Hawk. Inner Sphere `Mechs such as Heavies, Assaults and Mediums don't carry them.

Catapult K2.
Thunderbolt; multiple variants.
Battlemaster, an assault, two variants.
There are many other examples but that's the first three without a single thought applied to it.

Spoiler

Stock mechs in tabletop.
Battlemaster, MG
Thunderbolt, MG.

#22 Macksheen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:20 AM

Love the B33F vid. That's a non-jumping Arrow ... and it works

#23 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:23 AM

Seeing B33f's guide with a 6 MG JagerMech, I can safely say that the 6 MG JM6-DD does indeed work when in its element (granted it is obviously situational). :D
The build he uses is only moderately different from mine (I mean, how big a difference can you get?), as I use standard armor, Medium Pulse Lasers, and three tons of CASE protected MG ammo (plus an AMS and one ton of ammo; I built this thing before we had half-tons of ammo) as well as a BAP and a 315-rated engine.

#24 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:58 AM

View PostKoniving, on 12 October 2014 - 06:26 AM, said:

Spoiler

The engine safeties kicked in. Sadly. I love it when it doesn't, but considering I had him surrounded by 3 mechs, if it did stackpole I would have lost a lot.

Anyone else notice that the dead pilot made a successful pilot check? I know it's an autoeject, but come on now.

#25 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:07 AM

View PostTim East, on 12 October 2014 - 08:58 AM, said:

Anyone else notice that the dead pilot made a successful pilot check? I know it's an autoeject, but come on now.

Auto eject making a safe landing. I'd like to think my escape pod would do that too.

There have been failures though. I had one hit a tree, killing the unconscious pilot.

#26 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:27 AM

In my opinion, Machine Guns should not be allowed on certain `Mechs unless specified by the Technical Readout, i.e. 3005, etc. The Mad Cat and Thor are the exception to this. Due to the fact that each has a variant for Machine Guns along with Black Hawk. Inner Sphere `Mechs such as Heavies, Assaults and Mediums don't carry them.

[2xCN9]

Is the CPLT-K2 in that TRO? 'Cause IIRC, it's got 2MGs for anti-infantry in TT. Seems like big mechs do carry them, but they're kind of specific cases when they do. Kind of like your exceptions noted above.

Nice thing about MW:O is that you can do some fun stuff in the relatively real-time combat environment that would be even more absurd, certainly less effective, and probably less fun, in TT's turn-based model. Unless, that is, Koniving has taken a 6mg Jager into a brawl on MegaMek and cleaned house. In that case, all bets are off.

[/2xCN9]

Edited by Virlutris, 12 October 2014 - 09:49 AM.

#27 KuroNyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:42 AM

A MG alone is worthless, only if you want to be a mosquito easyly squatched.

But use multiple you can deal some pretty good damage over the time, theses thing make almost no heat and can be excellent against ennemy with there double armore destroyed.

My Invasion Dire Wolf pack 4 MG and they can deal a lot of damage, especially against light target.

#28 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:08 AM

View PostKoniving, on 10 October 2014 - 06:59 PM, said:

If you tie MGs up with LBXs, you'd be surprised what you can accomplish.

Indeed, the dual LB10X 4 MG Jager DD is a monster in close combat.

MGs have value as a no heat extra DPS generating weapons that are point and shoot (like lasers). For example, they're why the Ember is one of the top teir mechs, with 4 MGs, you can still mount 4 MLs and remain relitively cool, while the MGs also will tear apart a mech from the inside. 4MGs make the spider 5K a workable mech as well as it can hunt injured mechs and take them down surprisingly fast. Heck, it's the only reason the 1V Locust is possibly playable (I've had 4 kills and done over 400 damage in one)

Where they excel: In large groups (2+ in general), on mechs that will have a lot of face time (energy mechs), or mechs that have a big boom and may then need them for finishing power (The AC20, 2MG Hunchie).

Where they suffer: As a sole light/up close defense (LRM+MG only Combo = Bad for IS, not great for Clans), as a solo weapon if you can mount anything else (Better to mount an AMS, an extra HS, Extra Ammo for another weapon), or on mechs you don't want be face tanking with often (Not great on most heavy or assault mechs for that reason).

I don't think I'd want them in a summoner, and I'd never mount them on an Atlas, but I've heard good things about them in some of the Splat-Timberwolves, on Jagers, as part of many light or faster medium builds.

#29 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:54 AM

Warhammer WHM-6R 70 tons of angery death would like to say otherwise with it's twin MG's

3025TRO if you are wondering if its a stock build or not.

Edited by Metus regem, 12 October 2014 - 10:54 AM.

#30 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:02 AM

I have 2xMG 2xML on an LRM40 Jagermech, originally for emergency defense only, but if you keep the target at 180-250 range with all weapons in range, you can really ruin stuff.

#31 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:25 AM

MGs are useful, basically and only for crit damage. When you have a long range match going on eventually towards the end it gets closer range and enemy mechs have open armor points. With those open armor points using MGs makes it easy to finish off open components and or kill the enemy mech in itself.

#32 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:42 AM

Anything with 4x MG's or more is a killer, wait until armor is gone and let the lead fly.

I run my BJ-A with 6x MG's 2x ER Large Lasers and 1x Medium Laser, i sit at range with the ER's until i see crit mechs then i close distance and open fire. 6 MG's can take down crit mechs in a matter of seconds and blows parts off like firecrackers are going off in the mech.

This coupled with Pulse Lasers puts crit chances through the roof! My 2x MG 4x Med Pulse FS9-H really does well with only 2 MG's but he is the only mech i run with that few....he is the Poor Man's Ember! LOLZ But my Ember is still better, less heat and more firepower. But much like most other ways to excel in this game...boat or die.

View PostEldagore, on 12 October 2014 - 06:54 AM, said:

Not good on a summoner. You want stuff you can fire and twist/move around your target because the summoner has very nice tank ability if you stay mobile and dont facetank.

Summoner is also a tricky one to get a solid loadout on, because it is agile and good at brawling, but can't run heavy brawl weapons like UAC20's because of pod space......

I actually have a 4x Er Med laser and 1x U-A/C20 build...it has the pod space.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1b1c854da7fe582

Edited by DarthRevis, 13 October 2014 - 07:07 AM.

#33 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:44 AM

View PostKoniving, on 10 October 2014 - 06:59 PM, said:

If you tie MGs up with LBXs, you'd be surprised what you can accomplish.

Truth.

My CTF-4X loadout uses LBX-10 x 2 and MG x 2 in the arms, with ML x 2 in the CT and SRM-4 in the head.

Thing is slow like a snail race, but pretty effective at poking holes in armor and finding things to eat.

#34 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:52 AM

View PostDarthRevis, on 13 October 2014 - 06:42 AM, said:

Anything with 4x MG's or more is a killer, wait until armor is gone and let the lead fly.

I run my BJ-A with 6x MG's 2x ER Large Lasers and 1x Medium Laser, i sit at range with the ER's until i see crit mechs then i close distance and open fire. 6 MG's can take down crit mechs in a matter of seconds and blows parts off like firecrackers are going off in the mech.

This coupled with Pulse Lasers puts crit chances through the roof! My 2x MG 4x Med Pulse FS9-H really does well with only 2 MG's but he is the only mech i run with that few....he is the Poor Man's Ember! LOLZ But my Ember is still better, less heat and more firepower. But much like most other ways to excel in this game...boat or die.

That's my BJ-A build too!

Seriously, that thing is pretty damn sweet right out of the gate with the stock loadout truth be told, but when you get the LL x 2/ML x 1 combo in the torsos for the "1" in your "1-2" punch, that thing is glorious.

#35 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts
  • LocationAuckland ...but summer has gone and the tears now flow

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:02 AM

Tried my Arrow again after watching this vid. 6mgs, 2 med pulse lasers 1 large pulse laser.... 5 kills in one game, 6 in the next...FUN!!!!

#36 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:22 AM

MGs offer a higher chance of critical hits. They are good on Lights and Mediums.

On Heavies and Assaults they are only good as "Oh, I have 1.5 tons and a free ballistic hard point. Might as well add a MG."

#37 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:53 PM

MGs can really ruin a Mechs day once its internals are exposed. One of my Locusts has quad MGs and a MPL. I circle the outskirts of a fight watching for openings. As soon as I seen an exposed component, I dart in and make mincemeat out of it with MGs. Their high crit chance is what makes them truly awesome.

Other than that though, they aren't much use for anything because they do not have much of an effect on armor.

#38 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:42 PM

View PostNightmare1, on 13 October 2014 - 05:53 PM, said:

MGs can really ruin a Mechs day once its internals are exposed. One of my Locusts has quad MGs and a MPL. I circle the outskirts of a fight watching for openings. As soon as I seen an exposed component, I dart in and make mincemeat out of it with MGs. Their high crit chance is what makes them truly awesome.

Other than that though, they aren't much use for anything because they do not have much of an effect on armor.

Totally unrelated but, what's up with your sig? Do you do Civil War re-enactments with mechs, because that'd be awesome.

#39 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:53 PM

View PostTakashi Uchida, on 13 October 2014 - 06:42 PM, said:

Totally unrelated but, what's up with your sig? Do you do Civil War re-enactments with mechs, because that'd be awesome.

*Chuckle*

I would love to do reenactments, but can't afford to financially. The days of that being a cheap sport are gone; they've become regulated and expensive, sadly. :( I do attend them as a spectator on occasion though. They're pretty cool in my opinion, and I love the history that can be learned at them.

I use the Greek helmets because of my "Molon Labe" motto which means, roughly translated, "Come and Take!" It was the King Leonidas's last words to the Persian Army at Thermopylae when the Persians ordered him and his Greeks to throw down their arms and surrender. Politically, I view the motto as a challenge to foreign enemies of the US, and a reminder to our government that there is a limit to what our citizens can take in the form of lost freedoms. For MWO, it's intended as a dare for Red Team to try and take me out; that normally proves a more difficult challenge than most pilots bargain for. :lol:

The American Flag is used because I am a Patriot and love my country.

The Confederate Flag is used because I am Southern to the hilt, and believe that, one day, the South's gonna rise again! ;)

Please note that my use of the Confederate Flag has no racist or discriminatory purpose. I view it as a historical and cultural part of who I am and believe that everything that happened in the past is now water under the bridge. As such, the flag is a symbol of a closed chapter in the history of our nation; a chapter best learned from and not allowed to be forgotten.

Now, as for doing Civil War Reenactments with Mechs...that would be too cool for words! B)

#40 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:05 AM

My JM6-S is presently trotting around with one of those annoying stupid OCD people look away MG builds.

four large lasers (two in each torso) and four machineguns. let the lazorrss do their job then just add and hold the machine gun trigger down the entire time an enemy is in range.

Works quite well i find.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users