#181 EasyPickings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 192 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:29 PM

View PostNightmare1, on 20 February 2015 - 01:17 PM, said:

Wrong forum. This is the English one, lol.

Here: http://mwomercs.com/...-international/

You should be able to find what you need there. :)

Google is your friend (if not entirely grammatically correct):
Translation: possibly wrong with placing threads because there generally is online now complete mess !!!! and the proposal of my weapons of cluster {modified}, it is in the books in the game why not ??? and the second sentence is not an alternative system of air defense missiles with laser and without ammunition, so it will overheat little work, but it can be done up to a certain level of heat to completely work on unswitched air defense system and the opportunity to make the last push of a button to turn off sisemu defense when you need to it did not work all the time, when it is necessary and should not be as well off and on when the {t} e edited need

#182 Alzhiemer

• Pip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:26 PM

I didn't read all the post so I don't know if this has been said. I think a straight tutorial like in the old mechwarrior games; that took you through the steps of learning about piloting a mech for the first time before you started the cadet bonus part of mwo, would do more for creating and decreasing the ridiculous learning curve of a new player base than a mentorship system based on the reward of Premium time. This mentorship systems just seems like the wrong way to go, it seems like laziness or cheapness on pgi's part. Sorry you guys are doing great but getting old players to train new players seems like a cop out from creating an actual tutorial.

Edited by Alzhiemer, 06 May 2015 - 05:29 PM.

#183 Fat Jack Murphy

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 91 posts
  • LocationEuropa

Posted 09 May 2015 - 02:41 PM

I mentored Nomitar last week for his first steps in here. here`s a bit experience issue:
- you need to be on two sides AND have a premium account on both sides. bit of a pain to do, unless 2 people join in.
- make a free one on one mode with no friend or foe. just basic freeplay. should help a lot with mentoring or map showing - or allow groups into home->testing grounds. use some targets on testing grounds that move or flash. more later.
- basics: taking someone in your own team e.g. through some parcour of shooting range targets (showing up, lighting up green or red, etc.) for practicing torso and arm movement would help a lot. new players dont know there is torso sometimes, and arms a lot of time. head movement in cockpit is almost completely unknown. concepts like turning torso to avoid damage ? yeah right... training to use torso and arms to shoot two locations at once ? :P
- besides the shooting range thing, having the option to go "piggyback" on another player (view only) and talk to him would be a great thing, too. not just after dying or in group queue (hard matches, makes a lot of new players squirm when you say "lets group up". pug queue seems less painful.
- some way to watch training movies in game and make some "la mancha test" against a computer, or other players or to do some special time trial shooting range tests to e.g. collect 5-8 objective trainings and qualify.
- I and a lot of other players never knew there was a green dot on the HUD when Gauss was ready. that kept me from using gauss a long time. gauss needs special training. as does LRM / SSRM to get it right.

e.g. have a jump parcour time trial with a light mech, qualify as e.g. in Gran Tourismo and get some title or cockpit item (mech drivers license)
e.g. do a shooting range parcour with a mixed range direct fire laser machine, then a mixed weapons ballistic (gauss, uac5, machine guns), one of different missile mix (SRM, SSRM, LRM) etc. make those "ballistic license" "missile license" "energy license" etc. ask for some targets to be hit by e.g. gauss or er-large laser only, have others to be hit close range etc.
whoever qualifies may use "mechwarrior alumni" as a titlle. grant them some GXP and cash as motivation.
- the intro movie theatre: i think it was gunship2000 or some other old time helicopter sim, where they showed you a guy in a classroom and some sketches of tactics which you had to view before going in there. basic lesson should include stuff like "what not to do with LRMs, lasers, etc." and "dont do friendly fire, friendly fire isnt" and "dont cross firing lines"
I can even imagine a scenario where you need to fire, then cross firing line behind some "alpha happy DWF" and keep firing to score. or need to keep the assault clean of lights. or lead a push through a gate.

La Mancha: http://bg.battletech...ssion-question/
it is similar to the clan trial of position. it is supposed to be a no win, but you can e.g. judge a cadet on that.

those kind of starter missions should be the first few steps towards solo game.

#184 ThisOneDiesALot

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 82 posts
  • LocationFreiburg

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:55 AM

View PostAlzhiemer, on 06 May 2015 - 05:26 PM, said:

I didn't read all the post so I don't know if this has been said. I think a straight tutorial like in the old mechwarrior games; that took you through the steps of learning about piloting a mech for the first time before you started the cadet bonus part of mwo, would do more for creating and decreasing the ridiculous learning curve of a new player base than a mentorship system based on the reward of Premium time. This mentorship systems just seems like the wrong way to go, it seems like laziness or cheapness on pgi's part. Sorry you guys are doing great but getting old players to train new players seems like a cop out from creating an actual tutorial.

on the contrary. while i don't deny the advantage of at least any tutorial being better than no first play help at all, the veterans, the guys who stood thousands and thousands of hours on the battlefield are the one who are really capable of telling you how it works (if they have the teaching ability for that). the best guys in this games are NOT the developers. because they spend their time creating the game. but its the players who experience its dynamics of this creation and adapt to it. let there be a good basic tutorial. but the real game, you learn from the guys who play it. don't believe me? just ask yourself, did you learn more from school about how to act and do things right on your job or from people around you i.e. with the same profession?

#185 LiquidDivide

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:43 AM

This is such a simple idea I don't know why I didn't think of it before. Sorry if it's already been mentioned, but 10 pages is a lot to read through.

What if you provided a referral link on user's profile page to get their friends to sign up? Give the referrer 48 hours of PT or something to be able to meet with the new player and drop with them in private lobbies. I think that would go a long way and would allow anyone to participate. Allowing the training ground maps to be dropped in from private lobbies would provide targets and basically everything you need to teach somebody the game, even if there's only 2 of you.

It's also more likely that someone trying to bring a friend into the game is more willing to work with and teach them the game than some 'expert'. It'd be time consuming to mentor new people all time, but if those people are your friends, you only have to do it a few times and then can get back to blasting mechs, but with your buddy.

EDIT: An improved message when receiving awards would be nice so you knew why you just got PT or whatever. Just a name for that award would be nice. Example: "Calling all Founders - 5 Points redeemed" or "Referral Link Bonus Redeemed" instead of the generic "Congrats! You won something! Look around all over and see if you spot the difference to figure out what in the hell it is!!!!" message we get today.

Edited by LiquidDivide, 11 May 2015 - 08:47 AM.

#186 Yuri Kovalesky

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 40 posts
  • LocationKentaris IV

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:52 PM

Suggestion about the ECM mechs for Inner Sphere.

1- Stalker STK-3Fb
Sarna says: This Royal variant of the Stalker was introduced in 2705 and carries a Guardian ECM Suite in the center torso, upgrades the large lasers to extended range versions, and adds Artemis IV fire control systems to the LRM-15s that replace the Jackson LRM-10 launchers. The SRM-6 racks are gone, and the standard heat sinks were replaced with seventeen double heat sinks. Surviving examples of these variants left with Aleksandr Kerensky during Operation Exodus. BV (2.0) = 2,029[5]

2- Wardog

Suggestion about the mechs for Inner Sphere.

1- War dogProduction Year 3052[1]
PS: Did you noticed how IS lacks on 75 tons mech so far? I do.

2- BushwackerProduction Year 3053[2][3]

3- Uziel

Production Year 3065[3]I know this one will take a little to appear but stil, a suggestion.

Suggestion about the Hero Mechs Quirks for Inner Sphere.

Increase all Hero mechs Quirks more 10% ( Except the ones wich is far beyong 20 or 25% )

Suggestion about the Champion Mechs.

Add a special cammo and color.

Increase Quirk more 10% ( If a mech is a champion version of a regular one, it isnt fair he carries an equal challenge for their name?! )

PS: On this suggestion, the idea is make the Champion mechs something more attractive.

Suggestion about the Community Warfare.

Add Calliope turrets to the gates. ( Only gates )

Add NPC AI based units such as the classical.
Example: Tanks, helicopters, jeeps, Missile trucks.I hate League of legends but the system would fit here just fine.
I mean, non-playable units making script-based paths and engaging enemy in the acceptable range.

Exclude ghost-drop and add Match-making just like in the Public Matches for CW. ( This would make the game fair, more easier to organize and much much more faster to find a room with players )

Add Faction soundtracks in the beginning of the battle. ( For this one it would be nice for every territory counts the controlling faction, not the planet )

Suggestion about the Single Player version.

Single player and co-op missions against AI.

About the comm inside the missions, the mechwarrior 4 and mercenaries have a very simple and efficient.

Only the persons voices with the radio-like quality.

Add a boss mech hero like to the players fight in the end of each mission.

Suggestion about the Customization system.

Add unit symbol in mech armor when the player join a unit.

Add faction symbol in mech armor when the player join a faction.

Add both symbols in the same mech armor.

Fully customizable patterns like: Make your own cartoon and put in the mech armor.

Add warhorn with voices in different languages such like: Owned, I got you on this one, Die Die Die, Hahahahahaha.

Increase the size for some cockpit itens ( Some are so small i cant even see them in my cockpit )

Well, so far i can think only in this ones but soon ill post more.

Thanks.

#187 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:49 PM

View PostYuri Kovalesky, on 12 May 2015 - 01:52 PM, said:

Suggestion about the ECM mechs for Inner Sphere.

1- Stalker STK-3Fb
Sarna says: This Royal variant of the Stalker was introduced in 2705 and carries a Guardian ECM Suite in the center torso, upgrades the large lasers to extended range versions, and adds Artemis IV fire control systems to the LRM-15s that replace the Jackson LRM-10 launchers. The SRM-6 racks are gone, and the standard heat sinks were replaced with seventeen double heat sinks. Surviving examples of these variants left with Aleksandr Kerensky during Operation Exodus. BV (2.0) = 2,029[5]

2- Wardog

Suggestion about the mechs for Inner Sphere.

1- War dogProduction Year 3052[1]
PS: Did you noticed how IS lacks on 75 tons mech so far? I do.

2- BushwackerProduction Year 3053[2][3]

3- Uziel

Production Year 3065[3]I know this one will take a little to appear but stil, a suggestion.

Suggestion about the Hero Mechs Quirks for Inner Sphere.

Increase all Hero mechs Quirks more 10% ( Except the ones wich is far beyong 20 or 25% )

Suggestion about the Champion Mechs.

Add a special cammo and color.

Increase Quirk more 10% ( If a mech is a champion version of a regular one, it isnt fair he carries an equal challenge for their name?! )

PS: On this suggestion, the idea is make the Champion mechs something more attractive.

Suggestion about the Community Warfare.

Add Calliope turrets to the gates. ( Only gates )

Add NPC AI based units such as the classical.
Example: Tanks, helicopters, jeeps, Missile trucks.I hate League of legends but the system would fit here just fine.
I mean, non-playable units making script-based paths and engaging enemy in the acceptable range.

Exclude ghost-drop and add Match-making just like in the Public Matches for CW. ( This would make the game fair, more easier to organize and much much more faster to find a room with players )

Add Faction soundtracks in the beginning of the battle. ( For this one it would be nice for every territory counts the controlling faction, not the planet )

Suggestion about the Single Player version.

Single player and co-op missions against AI.

About the comm inside the missions, the mechwarrior 4 and mercenaries have a very simple and efficient.

Only the persons voices with the radio-like quality.

Add a boss mech hero like to the players fight in the end of each mission.

Suggestion about the Customization system.

Add unit symbol in mech armor when the player join a unit.

Add faction symbol in mech armor when the player join a faction.

Add both symbols in the same mech armor.

Fully customizable patterns like: Make your own cartoon and put in the mech armor.

Add warhorn with voices in different languages such like: Owned, I got you on this one, Die Die Die, Hahahahahaha.

Increase the size for some cockpit itens ( Some are so small i cant even see them in my cockpit )

Well, so far i can think only in this ones but soon ill post more.

Thanks.

Dude, what are you doing? This is not the thread for this. If you posted here by mistake, then you should find the appropriate place to post all that because it will be lost. If otherwise, please stop trolling. This is supposed to be a serious feedback thread.

#188 Yuri Kovalesky

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 40 posts
  • LocationKentaris IV

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:50 PM

View PostNightmare1, on 12 May 2015 - 02:49 PM, said:

Dude, what are you doing? This is not the thread for this. If you posted here by mistake, then you should find the appropriate place to post all that because it will be lost. If otherwise, please stop trolling. This is supposed to be a serious feedback thread.

Sorry wrong topic.

Forgive me.

#189 Lunatic_Asylum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 600 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:01 PM

View PostYuri Kovalesky, on 12 May 2015 - 08:50 PM, said:

Sorry wrong topic.

Forgive me.

Guys, maybe we should forgive Yuri! Maybe he deserves an absolution...

#190 Yuri Kovalesky

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 40 posts
  • LocationKentaris IV

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:17 PM

View Postlunticasylum, on 12 May 2015 - 09:01 PM, said:

Guys, maybe we should forgive Yuri! Maybe he deserves an absolution...

Already made mine.
Really sorry about that.
Couldnt hurt if people read and like mine.

http://mwomercs.com/...e-improvements/

#191 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:37 AM

View PostYuri Kovalesky, on 12 May 2015 - 08:50 PM, said:

Sorry wrong topic.

Forgive me.

Sure, no prob! :)

#192 Karborus

Rookie

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:56 AM

I am sure it has been said before my post, but I feel that there should be a setting that makes this game easier for those individuals (like myself) that have any level of color-blindness. I find that it is very hard to play and be any level of successful when it is extremely difficult to see any mechs until they are right in front you. I do not suggest a easy mode, rather some setting that can even the playing field for everyone visually.

#193 Aethelred Kell

• PipPip
  • The Spear
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:37 AM

I am a very new player to MWO (Less than 2 weeks of time since I started) and I have several observations.

#1.) The "Training Ground" bit when you first load into the game is SADLY lacking. Simply walking and clicking the right and left mouse buttons to fire is NOT enough. Altering Weapons group, Spreading Damage by Twisting, Various ways to "Kill a mech" (Legging, CT, Head, XL Engine for Side Torso'ing), Night and Heat Vision.

#2.) There is no icon to denote a new player in game what-so-ever. The game tracks your first 25 games already so how hard would it be to add a *N or (N) to them to denote New Pilot. Even adding it for team-mates only during the "Readying Up" screen would at least show them who might need some direction and leadership. (It might also SLOW the "Why are you wasting a mech slot with that piece of junk" comments that I have gotten periodically in public games.)

#3.) The game never broaches the factions, Planet Maps, or CW in any sort of way. A New Player has no idea that CW exists as far as I can tell unless they get onto the forums seeking It or stumble on it by accident. I still have not picked a faction because I am honestly still not sure whether there is even a purpose TO joining a faction at this point. This is especially true since I haven't formally joined a group yet and I understand that groups can actually pick factions for their pilots when they accept contracts....so does my individual choice even matter (If I had made a choice). I literally don't know because the game didn't bother to teach me ANYTHING about this entire portion of the game.

#4.) Have the game give us 1 Mech after our 25 games are completed out of the trial pool (Maybe the one we used the most or had the highest game score in) and then teach us how to modify it in the mech-bay. This gives us our first real mech and allows the game another useful teaching opportunity.

Edited by Aethelred Kell, 13 May 2015 - 11:43 AM.

#194 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:52 PM

View PostKarborus, on 13 May 2015 - 08:56 AM, said:

I am sure it has been said before my post, but I feel that there should be a setting that makes this game easier for those individuals (like myself) that have any level of color-blindness. I find that it is very hard to play and be any level of successful when it is extremely difficult to see any mechs until they are right in front you. I do not suggest a easy mode, rather some setting that can even the playing field for everyone visually.

Wrong forum thread. This is for Mentorship System Suggestions. Try creating a thread in Feature Suggestions. Best of luck!

View PostAethelred Kell, on 13 May 2015 - 11:37 AM, said:

I am a very new player to MWO (Less than 2 weeks of time since I started) and I have several observations.

#1.) The "Training Ground" bit when you first load into the game is SADLY lacking. Simply walking and clicking the right and left mouse buttons to fire is NOT enough. Altering Weapons group, Spreading Damage by Twisting, Various ways to "Kill a mech" (Legging, CT, Head, XL Engine for Side Torso'ing), Night and Heat Vision.

#2.) There is no icon to denote a new player in game what-so-ever. The game tracks your first 25 games already so how hard would it be to add a *N or (N) to them to denote New Pilot. Even adding it for team-mates only during the "Readying Up" screen would at least show them who might need some direction and leadership. (It might also SLOW the "Why are you wasting a mech slot with that piece of junk" comments that I have gotten periodically in public games.)

#3.) The game never broaches the factions, Planet Maps, or CW in any sort of way. A New Player has no idea that CW exists as far as I can tell unless they get onto the forums seeking It or stumble on it by accident. I still have not picked a faction because I am honestly still not sure whether there is even a purpose TO joining a faction at this point. This is especially true since I haven't formally joined a group yet and I understand that groups can actually pick factions for their pilots when they accept contracts....so does my individual choice even matter (If I had made a choice). I literally don't know because the game didn't bother to teach me ANYTHING about this entire portion of the game.

#4.) Have the game give us 1 Mech after our 25 games are completed out of the trial pool (Maybe the one we used the most or had the highest game score in) and then teach us how to modify it in the mech-bay. This gives us our first real mech and allows the game another useful teaching opportunity.

Bingo!

#195 Lunatic_Asylum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 600 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:19 PM

View PostYuri Kovalesky, on 12 May 2015 - 09:17 PM, said:

Already made mine.
Really sorry about that.
Couldnt hurt if people read and like mine.

http://mwomercs.com/...e-improvements/

Come on! It was a joke! It happens with all of us. :D

A mentorship system is not needed. A manual, on the other hand, would help. A person who would not take time to read one will not bother to be mentored either.

Edited by lunticasylum, 13 May 2015 - 09:21 PM.

#196 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:35 PM

View PostKyle Polulak, on 13 October 2014 - 01:18 AM, said:

Hey all,

I wanted to take the opportunity to raise a suggestions thread for a Mentorship system based around the game. I have often found that, since we are a team-based game: The guidance of a veteran player has frequently provided more of a direct benefit to new players than other systems, such as our tutorials and training grounds.

Try to keep in mind that some ideas may be easier to accomplish than others.
The more an idea may require of an engineer, designer, artist or other developers to accomplish and put into action, the more time it may invariably take to accomplish.

As such, any ideas which are readily achieved through tools already at our disposal such as the forums, account manager, and in-game with the present features would be equally if not more valuable here!

The first thing I can think of is dropping some bonus premium time to some of those who have stood as paragons of mentorship thus far in the New Player Help forum. Koniving and Redshift2k5 are the first on my list, feel free to nominate others for me to review. :)

PLEASE PGI Let us mentor new players without the need for active premium time.

I engage with a few dozen new players every month or so, and it would be so much easier for me to train them, and help them master the game if they could drop with me in a private lobby without the need for them spend real money, on a game they're not sure they'll be around for.

If we can get them to learn the game quickly, and start enjoying it, they are a lot more likely to stick around, and grow to become mentors themselves.

This is one of the few games out there where the community really helps build itself. Give us the tools to do it right, please.

I usually need nothing more than 10-15 minutes with a new player on voice comms to help them get started, and grasp the foundations of mech building.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 13 May 2015 - 10:37 PM.

#197 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:46 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...nd-new-players/

This is a good thread. I believe the combination of a tutorial & mentorship can vastly improve the new player experience.

#198 pyrocomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:57 AM

View PostEasyPickings, on 28 April 2015 - 04:29 PM, said:

Google is your friend (if not entirely grammatically correct):
Translation: possibly wrong with placing threads because there generally is online now complete mess !!!! and the proposal of my weapons of cluster {modified}, it is in the books in the game why not ??? and the second sentence is not an alternative system of air defense missiles with laser and without ammunition, so it will overheat little work, but it can be done up to a certain level of heat to completely work on unswitched air defense system and the opportunity to make the last push of a button to turn off sisemu defense when you need to it did not work all the time, when it is necessary and should not be as well off and on when the {t} e edited need

The initial post is completely grammatically incorrect to the level of messed word conjugations, inclinations... No comas and secntence structure. No wonder google was helpless against this. However, from the translation the original idea of the post about LASM is still gatherable.

#199 Túatha Dé Danann

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 June 2015 - 02:35 AM

View PostSirius Drake, on 13 October 2014 - 02:05 AM, said:

Yeah the 2 people Premium need for private matches is a problem when it comes to mentoring.
Maybe remove it at all.
I can not see the need for it at all to be honest.

+1 on that.

The biggest problem on helping out new players is, that you cannot train them in the Lobby without premium. We already have zero rewards while being in the Lobby which pretty much restricts the Lobby to either training or competetive atches, which you PGI might want to support instead of cutting it off.

Take away the Premium-time restriction from the Lobby system and see how people start to enjoy training!

#200 FroBanger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 183 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:20 PM

Cross Faction chat that all players in the game can both see and participate in. At this point the veterans of this game realize that ever new player that enjoys this game helps us all.

So make the chat able to be full screen where you can copy and paste helpfull links, helpfull builds for new players. Its got to be rough for new players to have a couple bad games and then try to navigate this website for help when their are no helpfull resources in game except faction chat, Which most of us can agree we usually only ever turn on when we need to fill out a group.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users