New Player Here Have Some Questions

17 replies to this topic

#1 SteelGuardian

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 16 posts
  • LocationNortheast PA.

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:55 PM

Hey Folks, As the title states i am new to this game. I am coming over from world of tanks after 9k battles. i decide to take a long break again saw sidestrafes video on youtube and decide to give this a try.
1.Other than the forums where are the other places i need to go to for guides and tutorials?
2.Is there people who will help train me if i need it?
3.do clans relie on stats when recruiting? and is there a mode similar to WoT clan wars?

#2 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:04 PM

I haven't played WoT but from what I can tell you

1) Yes - Mechspecs (I think) and Smurfy for mech builds
2) Several! Just about anyone who consistently posts in this area in fact
3) That one... I have no idea. :unsure:

#3 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:07 PM

View PostSteelGuardian, on 13 October 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

Hey Folks, As the title states i am new to this game. I am coming over from world of tanks after 9k battles. i decide to take a long break again saw sidestrafes video on youtube and decide to give this a try.
1.Other than the forums where are the other places i need to go to for guides and tutorials?
3.do clans relie on stats when recruiting? and is there a mode similar to WoT clan wars?

1- Smurfy, like Shar Wolf suggested, is a good idea.
2- Feel free to add me in-game (Social Tab, bottom right-middle of the screen)
3- Some do, others are casual. I don't play WoT but community warfare is coming up and it may bear similarities to it in the style of clan v/s clan.

My threads (which aren't popular but are good):

Edited by DavidHurricane, 13 October 2014 - 03:13 PM.

#4 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:26 PM

Please check out my channel: http://www.youtube.c...tNUCKmcC0Q7pKJQ

I've got tutorial for the entire UI, show and tell for all the weapons. I've got some maps and mech guides too.

#5 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:32 PM

Every clan I've been a part of was very open and welcome to both new and experienced players.

There are units that focus on competitive play, and I don't think they are in the habit of taking on brand new players, but most units are happy to have anyone and are willing to help you learn.

I'm not familiar with WoT Clan Wars, but MWO will be adding a Community Warfare mode which will feature faction vs faction, fighting for control of territory on the star map, and a new game mode.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:36 PM

(War Thunder is better than WoT).
That said...
1. Youtube for tutorials and guides. Search "MWO tutorial (guide) (topic you need it on)" Example: "MWO Tutorial First Mech."
2. There are many people including myself who will.
3. This depends on the guild. It is best not to use "Clan" as the nickname for them. "Units" are the name we use. A "Clan" is a canon set of factions invading the Inner Sphere (known universe).

The types of guilds currently out there..
Faction Unit: This is a guild that claims itself allied to one faction for maximum loyalty point rewards in Community Warfare (nearing the end of its second phase of development).
Mercenary Unit: A unit for hire that will work for any Faction unit as well as its own interests.
Clan Unit: A guild that is aligned with a specific Clan (Wolf, Ghost Bear, Jade Falcon, Smoke Jaguar).
Clan Loyalist: A guild that is the Clan version of a merc unit.

Honestly a unit that you will really enjoy playing with won't care about your stats, as high stat players tend to not be team players. They will instead look to your ability to play with a team.

#7 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:39 PM

1- Youtube. Though pretty much every tutorial video there, is linked somewhere in here. Also check out the training grounds section on the website, those tutorials are old, but most are still valid.

2- Pretty much anyone in this forum section, myself included.

3- Point of clarification: Clans here refer to a specific faction (the game is divided into 2 major factions, with their own subfactions). The main 2 factions in the game are the Inner Sphere, lead by several houses (Davion, Kurita, Marik ... etc.), and the Clans invading the Inner Sphere they are named after animals in most cases (Clan Wolf, Clan Ghost Bear, Clan Smoke Jaguar ... etc.)

If you are using the term to refer to gaming "clans" we usually call them corps in here. Such as merc corps, and so on, and so forth.

However, pretty much all player groups don't care about stats. The competitive teams do, though.

Yet, if you are new, pretty much everyone will want you to play with them, since they can help you master the game, and learn from the ground up.

In this game corps and teams prefer new players since they don't have any bad habits that they need to shake off.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:46 PM

On the "Clans" topic... I made this a while ago. It should help clarify what "Clans" are (as opposed to Units / Guilds).

Lots of little vids on the subject.

#9 Bulletsponge0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:52 PM

Welcome to the game!

And take heed of everything the posters above me have said. When I first started they were a tremendous resource for me to tap into for assistance. I really can't add anything to what they tell you other than to listen to them. but feel free to add me in game too (your list will start out small, but each time you are in a group, you'll meet more people and your list will grow exponentially)

Oh, and a bit of a warning. The New Player Help section is the friendliest section of the forums. there is a lot of...say....negativity...in many other places here. Don't take the negativity too seriously, its the internet afterall. You'll quickly learn who is to be taken seriously, and who isn't.

#10 dr lao

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWashington state

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:04 PM

just a fast segestion save your C-Bill you get a ton of it the first 28 rounds I got a 30 day primium time so i made a ton of ash right away then pick your poison hope this helps.
sidestrafes video's rock I use one of his builds now all the time im an older player so sniping,capping covering Assault's is my bag.

]Posted Image

Edited by dr lao, 13 October 2014 - 04:04 PM.

#11 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:09 PM

View Postdr lao, on 13 October 2014 - 04:04 PM, said:

just a fast segestion save your C-Bill you get a ton of it the first 28 rounds I got a 30 day primium time so i made a ton of ash right away then pick your poison hope this helps.
sidestrafes video's rock I use one of his builds now all the time im an older player so sniping,capping covering Assault's is my bag.

]Posted Image

Slight correction: first 25 rounds.

#12 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:17 PM

1) Youtube videos by nogutsnogalaxy and sidestrafe are decent go-tos for what to do and what not to do. Th3b33f has a few good ones for builds on the wild side. And there are other videos posted on youtube by other mwomercs gamers that are rather good to watch.

2)Yes. Where you can find them I'm not sure but I'm guessing you've had a few offers already since your post.

3) Some do and most don't as far as I know. I'm still a freelancer/lonewolf but I have seen more than a few recruit offers given at the start (and the end of a few) sorties/battles/matches.

3.5)As it stands now there are only three pvp modes.

-Assault-
You have the option to seek and destroy the opposition to the last opponent OR head to their base, take out their turrets/defending troops and capture their base OR win the battle by your team having the higher amount of kills when the time runs out

-Skirmish-
You seek and destroy the opposition to the last opponent OR win by your team having the higher amount of kills when the time runs out

-Conquest-
You seek and destroy the opposition to the last opponent OR win by earning x750 resources through the five cap(ture) points OR win by your team having the most kills when the time runs out

#13 SteelGuardian

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 16 posts
  • LocationNortheast PA.

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:07 PM

View PostSpike Brave, on 13 October 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

Please check out my channel: http://www.youtube.c...tNUCKmcC0Q7pKJQ

I've got tutorial for the entire UI, show and tell for all the weapons. I've got some maps and mech guides too.

Subcribed to it thanks

View PostDavidHurricane, on 13 October 2014 - 03:07 PM, said:

1- Smurfy, like Shar Wolf suggested, is a good idea.
2- Feel free to add me in-game (Social Tab, bottom right-middle of the screen)
3- Some do, others are casual. I don't play WoT but community warfare is coming up and it may bear similarities to it in the style of clan v/s clan.

My threads (which aren't popular but are good):

will do David

#14 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:23 AM

Be sure to give any video tutorial that you find useful a like and a comment to show your appreciation for the person that made it. :)

#15 Creag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 419 posts
  • Locationadelaide Australia

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:39 AM

If some the players could add tea speak channels for some of common group channels so new players would have the chance to join groups for friendly drops. Then when not in a are able to ask Questions, which they will have plenty.

#16 SteelGuardian

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 16 posts
  • LocationNortheast PA.

Posted 14 October 2014 - 05:49 PM

View PostCreag, on 14 October 2014 - 12:39 AM, said:

If some the players could add tea speak channels for some of common group channels so new players would have the chance to join groups for friendly drops. Then when not in a are able to ask Questions, which they will have plenty.

If you are asking why i am not on ts asking my questions?
Simple i wasn`t ready to start playing i wanted to know more about what i am getting into yes TS would be faster but not when you don`t have access to a mic when your at work

#17 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:05 PM

There's a wiki. Kind of underdeveloped at the moment but its got some good details

http://mwo.gamepedia.com/Main_Page

#18 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:05 PM

Here are a few Teamspeak channels to go to:

Comstar NA : na1.mech-connect.com

Password: Mechwarrior

Comstar Europe: eu1.mech-connect.com

Password: Mechwarrior

Those two are the main public servers for MW:O for their regions.

Each House would have their own TS3 server listed on their forum (probably as a pinned thread)

For Example, House Davion's TS3 server is: ts50.bargainvoice.com:7345

No password. It's where most of the Davion pilots are, and also where most of the Davion units drop. So you can easily jump in with any unit you see there.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 14 October 2014 - 06:07 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users