! ~ Rear View Mirror ~ !

81 replies to this topic

Poll: Rear view. (206 member(s) have cast votes)

Whould you want rear view mirror / screen?

1. YES. (157 votes [76.21%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 76.21%

2. NO. (26 votes [12.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.62%

3. Indifferent. (13 votes [6.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.31%

4. I got a better idea (Explain) (10 votes [4.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:26 AM

I'd just like rear firing weapons... when I hear MGs behind me... I want to shoot straight back with a SRM6 an trust the spread gods untl I can turn around.

#42 Dogstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:26 AM

I don't know if this has been suggested before but allowing the camera to move freely in the 3rd person view would also solve the problem of backing up. Thus in order to look behind you you would have to@

- press F3 to launch the drone
- hold right Ctrl
- move the camera

There's no way that would be an advantage in combat and should be supported by the existing engine/control limitations

#43 Jiyu Mononoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:44 AM

I think the close-up radar would be a lot easier when in combat, and actually may even be easier to use under duress.
- Also, if we migrate to a new engine.. well, who knows.
- I think your idea would be good for General purpose navigations thought... just sounds like a lot of steps if someone is shooting at you.

#44 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 11:03 AM

to be honest I was shocked when I first read this topic when it first showed up, because many have wanted something like this for a long time but have always been shot down ether venomous resentment or just people saying no.

So I am glad to see how much support this has gotten as we need something like this for a while.

#45 Dogstar

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:41 AM

just sounds like a lot of steps if someone is shooting at you.

That's kind of my point, it's not meant to be a combat aid, just a means of moving around less clumsily

Edited by Dogstar, 09 March 2016 - 10:41 AM.

#46 MasterW3

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:10 PM

this would be nice, make it a module, which uses a rear view camera... and displays it on a screen in the cockpit.
there, now one of your useless screens is now used.
OR add it is equipment into the head slot.

#47 GabrielSun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:58 PM

They have this already. It's called seismic. It was so OP they bludgeoned it into "only while you are stationary" uselessness.

#48 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:05 PM

this is not the same, the rear view would allow us to be able to watch what is behind us to allow us to ether avoid something such as a friendly or from getting stuck, good example would be from a match I had not to long ago, I was blasted to hell because I backed into a small piece of a hill that kept me from going any further, had I been able to see I would have been able to avoid that piece of a hill..

so please tell us again GabrielSun how this is the same thing as a Seismic sensors?

Edited by VinJade, 26 March 2016 - 08:07 PM.

#49 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 27 March 2016 - 06:45 AM

considering how most mechs are build this will have to be a camera screen (hopefully replacing the useless screens) however this Camera would be limited to a view strictly behind you so you don't bump into friendlies or that annoying piece of terrain and would have a limited peripheral view

Edited by KursedVixen, 27 March 2016 - 06:47 AM.

#50 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 04:13 PM

@Vixen
I agree, it should only allow us to see directly behind us.

#51 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:20 AM

And it should Not be a module.

mainly because I'm tired of Modules for things that Mechs have BY DEFAULT!

BAP AND CAP have seismic sensors and many other things to detect hidden mechs, it's essentially an addon Sensor computer like the targeting computer is an addon Target computer Deticated computers like a GPU in a modern computer, specifcally built to do one task.
I'm pretty sure Battlemech designers Including the clan would NOT be stupid enough to make a sensor system that detected enemies Only in front of them.

I won't get into more problems with this game as it would go off topic.

Edited by KursedVixen, 28 March 2016 - 01:25 AM.

#52 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:12 AM

@Vixen
I agree, the mechs should already come with basic Seismic sensors along with the review ability.
after all in the tt an Atlas had rear mounted Lasers and that meant you need to be able to see behind you to use them, or thinks like the Jag/Rifleman as they could flip their arms behind them to attack those behind them.

you see it in the books as well so this shouldn't even be needed to be asked for when it should have been a basic function on all mechs.

#53 Ghos7bearD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 351 posts
  • LocationGermany, Hamburg

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:16 AM

No.

Use your seismic sensors.

#54 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 01:16 AM

Norsfyr care to explain how seismic sensors can help you see what is behind you like hills, ect?

besides this option like seismic sensors are all mandatory part of the mech's sensor suite right from the factory.

#55 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:39 AM

See? I'm sorry I don't see anything behind me with a sesmic sensor, can you tell me what mech it is sneaking up behind me? I bet you 1 milliion c-bills that if you are alone with nobody whatching your back you will never know what mech or mechs are being you. a backup camera would allow you to indentify it the mech is a threat or not and see your allies who are silly enough to stand behind you so maybe you can go around them saving you valuble time that you'd other wise be killed in since your ally decided to make you an unwilling meat shield.

The very word Sensor, in itself describes what it does it does not allow me to 'see' the mech(s) behind me but to detect or sense them, not with my eyes, unless you have eyes in the back of your head you will never 'see a mech behind you, unless you have a backup camera.

Edited by KursedVixen, 29 March 2016 - 05:41 AM.

#56 Ghos7bearD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 351 posts
  • LocationGermany, Hamburg

Posted 29 March 2016 - 01:37 PM

A Battlemech have no rear mirror.

#57 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:59 PM

Norsfyr no they don't, they have rear view cameras which serve as 'rear view mirrors' and can be seen on a monitor so more or less the same thing just better features ;), and as I said before they are all standard on every mech just like seismic sensors are.

#58 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:44 AM

Whoops sorry didn't 'see' you 'back there.

yeah remove one of the blasted uselessly distracting screens, make it useful replace the kill screen if that is the most visible one I do not care.

Edited by KursedVixen, 30 March 2016 - 06:44 AM.

#59 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:46 AM

@Vixen
It's funny how we have to ask for what should be basic/standard on all mechs from the get go?
Seismic sensors, rear view ability, ect?

yet in order to get these basic functions we have to pay to get them in mods....

#60 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:37 AM

actually seismic sensor came with BAP CAp not the standard sensor suite but yes we shouldn't have to ask for standard equipment in a mech and if I recall the advanced zoom cost 1 ton in MW4, and may i add that night vision and heat vision is a joke in MWO? I can't see 100 meters in front of me with it on I'm better off going to fallout and taking the drug Cat eye than useing PGI"s excuse for night vision/heat vision.

look at this beautiful picture that is REAL night vision do you see a black sky No. Is your vision limited to less than 300 meters. No.

why do we get such crappy equipement I understand the heat vision thing due to sniping but night vision is CRAP

Edited by KursedVixen, 31 March 2016 - 12:43 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users