#21 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:08 AM

View PostJozefK, on 17 October 2014 - 06:57 AM, said:

And i thought that WG and Gaijin are greedy.

I'm playing this game for over a month now and all what i have seen PGI is doing is trying to maximize profit. Every single change is aimed at making players desparate to visit the shop. No improvements on other fields whatsoever.

Quirks - basicaly PGI has figured that players are not motivated to buy many mech variants because they can simply reconfigure the one they have. With quirks, they will make your gameplay less variant and therefore you will need to obtain new variants.

EDIT: wow looking at the replies, so many people completely missed the point.

Posted Image

Someone certainly missed the point.

Please tell me how these will limit your customization.

#22 KraftySOT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:08 AM

View PostOogalook, on 17 October 2014 - 07:08 AM, said:

I responded to this in my previous article, basically to the effect that weapon buffs weren't the only way to go about making bad 'mechs useful again. I also mentioned in the OP that the old system would have been more acceptable: that of splitting the 25% extra awesome between a general family buff and a specific weapon buff, so that more adventuresome builds would benefit from the new quirks.
http://mwomercs.com/...09#entry3817509

You mean like blanket energy weapon bonuses seen on the Hunchie?

Do you even read the information available before making asinine posts?

#23 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:10 AM

View PostOogalook, on 17 October 2014 - 06:46 AM, said:

Please back me on this. PGI, for the first time in a long while, has rustled the hell out of my jimmies. They need to spread the benefits of the quirk system to apply to multiple builds of the same 'mech in order to keep customization alive. Even if the devs just reduced the buff to a smaller margin (perhaps 15%?) other builds could be reasonably run. When you approach 20% increased firepower, the above effect of essentially enforced loadouts comes into play.

Sorry, but I for one am SOOOO glad your jimmies are rustled. It's about time that mechs get a bonus for equipping what they are SUPPOSED to carry or at least fitting their archetypal design.

#24 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:11 AM

As to the title I say to say

GREAT NEWS !

#25 JozefK

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:11 AM

So let's see at what Russ has written as a main reason for quirks:

By focusing the quirks per variant in a specific way we feel we can achieve a higher degree of success with the quirks while increasing the variety of mechs on the battlefield.

From the gameplay point of view, number of different mech configurations will stay the same (at best). You are not getting any new mech configrations with the introduction of quirks. There will be more mech variants in use that's for sure.

For the player it means that instead of experimenting with a single purchased mech he will have to purchase several mechs. SIngle mech is becoming less variable.

#26 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:13 AM

View PostLukoi Banacek, on 17 October 2014 - 07:06 AM, said:

OP the only person this hurts customization for is the min maxer who only runs the best meta for a mech available already who might want to finally run a HBK etc...but lets face it...a min maxer isnt likely running them anyway.

You are confusing min maxer to a scrub who likes to stomp in OP mechs in the public queue ;)

#27 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Lets try a little fun and games.

My Banshee 3E, has 1 AC/20, 2 Large Pulse Lasers, and 2 Medium Pulse lasers.

Its considered tier 3...so itll get 15% bonuses.

Do I care what the bonuses are? No.

Will I switch my loadout? No.

Why?

Because 53.6 pinpoint alpha. It already destroys most mechs in the game in a single hit. It destroys the other half in 2, or 3 hits. Unless youre adding negative quirks (they arent) nothing you do to my build, will convince me to change it. Im not going to mount AC5s, or PPCs, or Large Lasers...I could care less.

So I know for a fact its not limiting customization, because its not limiting mine. It does nothing to change my good build.

Itll be just as great as it was before.

Unless some mech gets a huge bonus to its CT armor and structure...I could give a ****.

Whats good about quirks is that it might convince me to buy a second mech.

#28 Mothykins

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts
  • Locationilikerice is my hero.

The Awesome is a great example of doing this right though.

And in general, buffing what it comes with stock is great, as it means the mech you purchase can actually function as the 'mech you purchased. Stock loadouts are actually workable, which is great.

That said, If the Locust 1V still gets an ERLL buff I WILL flip my ****. I put down money for a teeny tiny Machinegun boat with a single Medium or Small Laser. Not a ERLL Mini sniper. I: They where going on about trying to fit them into stock roles, but that is legit trying to make the thing fit what Meta players Think it Should fit.

And for gods sake, there had best be PPC buffs on my K2. I I'm getting tired of having to run a Boomcat.

#29 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:14 AM

View PostOogalook, on 17 October 2014 - 06:46 AM, said:

The point of the quirk pass is to make less-used 'mechs useful again. The problem is that this quirk pass only benefits pilots on the condition that they give up their right to run whatever the hell they want. The implication that they must give up freedom for power is the maximum kick in the pants.

What in all that is Mighty and Holy are you crying about? No one is giving up anyone's rights.

Rights? Freedoms? Lighten up. It's just a video game.

#30 Oogalook

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 112 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:14 AM

View PostKraftySOT, on 17 October 2014 - 06:59 AM, said:

DIVERSITY.

Its not the end all be all of diversity...it seriously wll only increase the viable builds from ~12 to maybe ~18.

Thats still better than it is now. You people are dense.

You misinterpret my point. Though the awesome, in this example, was basically non-viable before the quirk pass and will be good again after, it can only be that good on the condition that the pilot only use the PPC spam build suggested by the quirks. The loss of diversity is within the variant: The pilot buys the 'mech, and then can do nothing reasonably with it other than the no doubt powerful PPC build, or else he can continue to suffer the same difficulties he did before the quirk pass by employing laser vomit and passing up the benefits of the weapon buffs.

#31 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:15 AM

View PostOogalook, on 17 October 2014 - 07:14 AM, said:

You misinterpret my point. Though the awesome, in this example, was basically non-viable before the quirk pass and will be good again after, it can only be that good on the condition that the pilot only use the PPC spam build suggested by the quirks. The loss of diversity is within the variant: The pilot buys the 'mech, and then can do nothing reasonably with it other than the no doubt powerful PPC build, or else he can continue to suffer the same difficulties he did before the quirk pass by employing laser vomit and passing up the benefits of the weapon buffs.

It doesnt matter.

If the customization of the mech before was 0.

And the customization of the mech now is, 1 viable build.

You have increased diversity.

#32 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:16 AM

I think by kill customization what he really means is greater variety and customization. o.O

#33 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:16 AM

View Postugrakarma, on 17 October 2014 - 07:13 AM, said:

You are confusing min maxer to a scrub who likes to stomp in OP mechs in the public queue ;)

Tomay-to Tomah-to hehehe.

#34 UnsafePilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:17 AM

You'll still be able to do every build with it that you could before. Don't min/max yourself into a corner if diversity is what you enjoy. Nothing is being taken away.

#35 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

No one was going to buy the Awesome, and then customize it.

It was a dead mech. A useless variant. No one piloted it. No one customized it.

If someone buys it now, and puts on DHS and Endo steel.

Now theres one reasonable customization option.

Diversity.

Its not a huge incease, as said, about ~12 builds, to ~18 builds.

Thats still an improvement.

#36 Mothykins

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts
  • Locationilikerice is my hero.

View PostJozefK, on 17 October 2014 - 07:11 AM, said:

So let's see at what Russ has written as a main reason for quirks:

By focusing the quirks per variant in a specific way we feel we can achieve a higher degree of success with the quirks while increasing the variety of mechs on the battlefield.

From the gameplay point of view, number of different mech configurations will stay the same (at best). You are not getting any new mech configrations with the introduction of quirks. There will be more mech variants in use that's for sure.

For the player it means that instead of experimenting with a single purchased mech he will have to purchase several mechs. SIngle mech is becoming less variable.

In that case, Economy Buff, so that folks can actually, you know, afford to do this? I've been bombarded with "Who needs more than four 'mechs?" and "This isn't Pokemon, you don't need them all" from other folks, but this move seems to encourage getting more 'mechs. I:

#37 JozefK

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:19 AM

Err, i think you are talking to the pigeons. I mean you argument is obviously logical. If they can't understand it, well it can't be helped :D

#38 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:19 AM

The quirk system, if anything, makes the game feel more like BattleTech because each mech will have a defined role and/or specialty. Customization is still there for minor tweaks, but the emphasis is on making each mech fill a specific role. This, to me, is in the spirit of BattleTech all the way.

#39 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:20 AM

Josefk....players already purchase multiple mechs to elite them. These quirks have no negative impact on that and in fact might encourage folks to buys m3chs they normally would avoid because they see a potential buff to using the semi-canon builds enhanced by these quirks.

There is no demonstrable downside to these quirk proposals thus far.

Also, I went outside earlier and noticed the sky is apparently not falling.

Where is Roadbeer these days...this needs a poll.

#40 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:20 AM

But it still doesnt change the mechs that are currently viable. Just because your Dual Guass Jager wont be getting a bonus to Gauss rifles...does not mean its not still a top tier build.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users