42 replies to this topic

#1 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:39 AM

Is the nova.
They should look into giving it some quirks with the IS mechs.
Runs hot as hell itself, and is forced into energy focused builds.
I've seen one or two ballistics, but it doesn't help enough. You alpha you die in most cases, and when you are trying to kill the enemy, that's a huge pain in the ass for a medium. Also its hit boxes need some work. Its got a snoz like the dragon but with less armor. Give it a CT boost, and a decreased heat generation for medium lasers.

#2 SaltBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:45 AM

Suckoner may be worse. This mech is in dire need of Endo steel.

#3 NovaFury

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 386 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:47 AM

Silly Brody, clan mechs aren't allowed to get any love.

#4 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:51 AM

I agree.

If you are running a Nova Prime (12 ERMLasers), then you should be able to fire a grouping of 6 at least 3 times before hitting the redline. I could see only being able to fire a group of 3 right after that unless you give the mech a chance to cool.

That seems only fair for a mech like this. It has that many lasers for a reason.

#5 Shadow Magnet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 429 posts
  • LocationLake Constance, Germany

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:02 AM

I don't know if that would be a good idea, but because the default Nova has so many cMLs, I would give it quirks so it has reduced heat generation and improve heat reduction, but lasers have a huge cool down increase - so you need to fire 3 of the 12 cMLs each time, having 4 weapon groups. Basically like you already do if you want to want to avoid ghost heat.

If a mech has so many laser hard points, it should be able to utilize them in a reasonable way.

#6 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:24 AM

Hey, it's called the No Va for a reason...

#7 AlexEss

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:35 AM

I think the nova, much like the laser hunchback is a clear case of play smarter. They both have more firepower then they can efficiently use. Just look at them as spares for when the crits start to cripple you. A way to stay efficient all they way to the end.

Trust me.. there is nothing more annoying then having my YLW lose the AC to a few lucky crit´s.. That big ol arm sitting there like a limp noodel., Not even properly shot off. Nova... No such problem. =)

silver lining and all that.

#8 arkanis

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:38 AM

View PostNovaFury, on 23 October 2014 - 01:47 AM, said:

Silly Brody, clan mechs aren't allowed to get any love.

What's the point of buffing both clan and IS mechs simultaneously? That's called power creep

#9 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:00 AM

Imho I would do the following:

general quirks:
break and acceleration buff of +10%
(its such a fat medium, and not even a fast medium, this quirk would help to compensate for the horrible hitboxes)
CERML heat generation -15% OR + 10% heat dissipation (this does not toally redo the E-weapon nerf, but should bring the prime variant back to a usable degree). Because lets be honest, "trial" an unskilled Nova, why should a new palyer ever think this emch is useful? he won't. you need to be quite skilled and experienced Pilot to manage that kind of heat.

remove all negative quirks on the current prime arms.

Give the NVA S arms: E weapon cooldown 10% (because they need to have some real advantage over the prime arms to be used.)

Give the NVA B arms arm the above + addionally +5degree pitch and yar angle.

also somethign I would not consider to use, but may be interetsign would be -80% overheat damage. This would allow a pilot to alpha even all 12 CERML and take relatively low overheat damage. Still such an Alpha from 0heta will make the mech a sitting duck for around 30 seconds. So no serious pilot would do this actually as a normal standard tactic. But yte it would help newbies who accidently overheat to cook them selves to a horrible degree. Becaue atm there is no stock mech than can nearly burst himself by a single alpha like the NVA prime.

#10 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:08 AM

View PostAlexEss, on 23 October 2014 - 02:35 AM, said:

I think the nova, much like the laser hunchback is a clear case of play smarter. They both have more firepower then they can efficiently use. Just look at them as spares for when the crits start to cripple you. A way to stay efficient all they way to the end.

Trust me.. there is nothing more annoying then having my YLW lose the AC to a few lucky crit´s.. That big ol arm sitting there like a limp noodel., Not even properly shot off. Nova... No such problem. =)

silver lining and all that.

HBK can use all his E points without overheating. Nova can't.

View Postarkanis, on 23 October 2014 - 02:38 AM, said:

What's the point of buffing both clan and IS mechs simultaneously? That's called power creep

No, point of the buffs were to balance IS mechs atm, mostly those who are even within IS standards crap. And this should be done with CLanners as well, because there are clanners that are heavily underused by being a lot more worse. Yet you will find pilots doing good in them. But this is not making the mech better as how it is just inferior. Summoner and nova are great examples. Adder maybe too.

I can be good in both adder and Nova, but SCR or kitfox have just undeniable advantages that makes them superior. Summoner? I would sa theoretical too, but I never piloted it since I don't actualyl like it or what you can make out of it. Its in all ways an inferior TBR except maybe hitboxes. But they don't equalise the tbr'S superior weapon tonnage available.

Edited by Lily from animove, 23 October 2014 - 03:09 AM.

#11 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:37 AM

View PostBrody319, on 23 October 2014 - 12:39 AM, said:

Is the nova.
I've seen one or two ballistics, but it doesn't help enough. You alpha you die in most cases, and when you are trying to kill the enemy, that's a huge pain in the ass for a medium. Also its hit boxes need some work. Its got a snoz like the dragon but with less armor. Give it a CT boost, and a decreased heat generation for medium lasers.

As far as I know, Quirks were created so that they could buff IS 'mechs instead of nerfing Clan 'mechs even more (remember their goal is for an all-IS team to have an even chance of beating an all-Clan team in a 12 vs 12 match). Following this logic, Clan 'mechs would never get Quirks.

#12 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,950 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:51 AM

Nova is what I like to call "Garbage with potential"

After the Laser nerf for clans, Nova pretty much lost any edge it had as a powerhouse laserboat.

It can't load up efficient alternatives on Ballistics or Missles, all it has is ERML or smalls which are equally inefficient.
Nova is stuck with ERML, heavier energy weapons make poor choices on efficiency because lack of ES or FF to add in DHS, you still choke for heat.

Its got paper arms, paper legs, low hardpoints, and its huge for a medium.
Its a brawler meant for close/medium range, or for snapshotting around cover.

And its "GO TO" weapon the ERML has to be reduced down to 6 total just to be managable.

Half the time I can't even use that, so I go with 4 ERML, 2 smalls, and 4 MG and a L1-TC, which is about as much as it can use and keep running in a fight.

Nova desperately needs some Energy based quirks bonuses just to be anywhere near viable.

If the Quirk bonuses effectively got ERML down to around 5.2-5.35 heat & ERMPL down to 5.6-5.7 heat, as well as smalls in an efficient bracket, that would be just about perfect IMO.

Just about any other Clanmech can do what the nova does and do it better.

And now with the Stormcrow out that can put mixed weapons or even purely as an energy boat in a much more efficient way with a stronger profile and speed, It drives the Nova even farther down the ladder.

For mediums, its a clear choice on the competitive aspects of it, Stormcrow and many of the IS medium mechs including the SHD & HBK just do it better and not by some small margin.

Edited by Mister D, 23 October 2014 - 04:25 AM.

#13 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:55 AM

Is the nova.

12 ER MEDIUM LASERS 60 heat 36 heat dissipation. The heat is working as intended.

#14 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:35 AM

Is the nova.

PLus its a 50t mech with the speed of a 75t.......

Clans should get a universal quirk of locked heatsinks give 10% more heat dissipation...fo sho...idk how many the Nova has locked on it, but it would help the Whorehawk alot.

#15 Macksheen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:57 AM

Nova would do well with, instead of a quirk pass, maybe a few new omnipod options. Some of what it suffers from is due to the odd mix of weight and space you have to deal with (on top of the less than awesome hit box)

Adder could probably use a bit of joy too.

#16 Pale Jackal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 786 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 05:01 AM

View Postarkanis, on 23 October 2014 - 02:38 AM, said:

The point is that we want IS mechs to perform on par with top tier Clan mechs. Similarly we want weak Clan mechs to perform on par with strong Clan mechs.

#17 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 23 October 2014 - 05:04 AM

View PostPale Jackal, on 23 October 2014 - 05:01 AM, said:

The point is that we want IS mechs to perform on par with top tier Clan mechs. Similarly we want weak Clan mechs to perform on par with strong Clan mechs.

:huh:
Posted Image

#18 arkanis

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:28 AM

View PostPale Jackal, on 23 October 2014 - 05:01 AM, said:

So you want a nova that performs as a timber instead of a role for it.

Edited by arkanis, 23 October 2014 - 07:29 AM.

#19 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:30 AM

View PostSaltBeef, on 23 October 2014 - 01:45 AM, said:

Suckoner may be worse. This mech is in dire need of Endo steel.

Nah, JJ buff was enough to make it highly useful again. Doesnt need endo.

#20 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,950 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:12 AM

That heatscale though.. oof. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users