#21 Stijnovic

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 63 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:18 AM

View PostVrbas, on 23 October 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

Is it just me or was the sound design way better back in closed beta and earlier versions?

I agree that the sound design in those videos seems better. I remember when I first saw MWO back in closed beta, I was really impressed by the weapon effects (impacts, fire, smoke, etc). Now I'm not sure if it changed or that I just got used to it. I don't know what happened to the sounds. I do very much like the sounds for the clan weapons though!

However, I think that the sounds are quite fine, but the sound mixing is bad. It is just a cacophony of lasers, impacts and explosions but it gives you no information. I would like to have a better, deeper stereo image so you can hear the sound of footsteps and engines in the distance. Also i would like to be able to hear lasers melting through my armor, hear on what side this happens (where the shot came from, front/back/left/right) and hear a slightly different sound when it gets through the armor and starts damaging the internals. Also component-specific sounds for critical hits.

#22 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:30 AM

Best thing for the lazors was that things become darken - after a knife to knife you need some time to get the "view" working again - but that was great fealing.

Not to mention the good old HUD bug....get a shut down - and after that you had no cross hair - and without time to shut down and repower - you had to fight with that.

Yeah and thats it fighting in closed beta was some how more intense - TTK was longer - heat was a bigger concern - and with no instant convergence and lag shield from time to time - i can remember that i was exhausted after a fight.

#23 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:51 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 24 October 2014 - 03:30 AM, said:

Best thing for the lazors was that things become darken - after a knife to knife you need some time to get the "view" working again - but that was great fealing.

Sure, when it worked. Wasn't as fun when your screen decided to go all dark for no reason.

Not to mention the good old HUD bug....get a shut down - and after that you had no cross hair - and without time to shut down and repower - you had to fight with that.

You could of course get the no-HUD bug from the get-go as well - my personal record is three kills in a no-HUD Centurion :)

Yeah and thats it fighting in closed beta was some how more intense - TTK was longer - heat was a bigger concern - and with no instant convergence and lag shield from time to time - i can remember that i was exhausted after a fight.

Closed beta fighting was in many ways better than today, yes. And as you say, no DHS is one reason for that, as is delayed convergence.

With a proper heat system (lower cap, increased dissipation, scaling heat penalties) and some sort of fix to instant convergence (my current favourite solution is forced chain-fire; just remove alpha strikes altogether), we could have that intensity back.

#24 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:53 AM

View Poststjobe, on 24 October 2014 - 03:51 AM, said:

With a proper heat system (lower cap, increased dissipation, scaling heat penalties) and some sort of fix to instant convergence (my current favourite solution is forced chain-fire; just remove alpha strikes altogether), we could have that intensity back.

sure - but our top tier "skill" crowed will never allow that

#25 kapusta11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:09 AM

View Poststjobe, on 24 October 2014 - 03:51 AM, said:

With forced chainfire, how are you going to balance 2xAC20 vs 2xLL+4xML, with former you make separate 2 shots while with latter you need 6 seconds to fire all your weapons in the first place. Wouldn't it be better to set a damage cap for weapon groups with a chainfire acting like a tool to prevent people from using macros? Said damage cap can be adjusted with modifiers that address weapon's mechanic or range. That way you would address alpha damage alone without affecting other variables.

#26 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:26 AM

View Postkapusta11, on 24 October 2014 - 04:09 AM, said:

With forced chainfire, how are you going to balance 2xAC20 vs 2xLL+4xML, with former you make separate 2 shots while with latter you need 6 seconds to fire all your weapons in the first place.

Sorry, it was a parenthetical remark so it wasn't fleshed out. With forced chain-fire you wouldn't have to wait until the previous weapon has stopped firing - so you could conceivably have two weapons firing at the same time (lasers with longer than 0.5 beam time, which is pretty much all of them).

And the point of it all is that getting hit by an AC/20 should be more damaging than getting hit by 4xML - because those 20 damage hit all in one place instead of in 4 different places.

So it's okay that it takes just 0.5 seconds to fire off 2xAC/20 while it'd take 3.5 seconds to fire 2xLL + 4xML.

A timeline example:
0.0s: LL1 fires (1 LL firing)
0.5s: LL2 fires (2 LL firing)
1.0s: ML1 fires, LL1 stops firing (1 LL + 1 ML firing)
1.5s: ML2 fires, LL2 stops firing (2 ML firing)
2.0s: ML3 fires, ML1 stops firing (2 ML firing)
2.5s: ML4 fires, ML2 stops firing (2 ML firing)
3.0s: ML3 stops firing (1 ML firing)
3.5s: ML4 stops firing (no weapon firing)

If there's need to fire more than six weapons "at once" (6+ MLs would have overlapping cooldowns), one can cut the chain-fire delay down to 0.25 seconds - keeping in mind that this would mean having four MLs firing at the same time again, although stacked a bit.

View Postkapusta11, on 24 October 2014 - 04:09 AM, said:

Wouldn't it be better to set a damage cap for weapon groups with a chainfire acting like a tool to prevent people from using macros? Said damage cap can be adjusted with modifiers that address weapon's mechanic or range. That way you would address alpha damage alone without affecting other variables.

Better, I don't know. Different, yes.

Edited by stjobe, 24 October 2014 - 04:28 AM.

#27 siLve00

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:01 AM

View PostRedDragon, on 24 October 2014 - 01:48 AM, said:

Most things were better in closed beta.

Just look at the lasers, they looked really cool back then and had a feel to them. Not that boring light show we have today.

ppc´s ! all the time i use that weapon i must think about my daughter which plays with a blue stripeball in the garden.

but thats maybe just bc of the projectile speed.. mhm

Edited by siLve00, 24 October 2014 - 05:04 AM.

#28 CygnusX7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:06 AM

Those jump jets!

#29 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:07 AM

I haven't had a flashback in years... All the acid must finally be out of my system! :unsure:

#30 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:05 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 24 October 2014 - 05:07 AM, said:

I haven't had a flashback in years... All the acid must finally be out of my system! :unsure:

Tell me about yourself, Jeffrey.
Well, not much to tell.
I, um, I was one of the authors
of the port Huron Statement.
The original Port Huron Statement.
Not the compromised second draft.
Uh, and then I,
you ever hear of the Seattle 7?
That was me.
And, um, the 6 other guys.
Um, and then a music business briefly.
eah, a roadie for Metallica.
Speed of sound tour
Bunch of ********
Uh, and then, you know
A little of this, a little of that.
My career's slowed down a little lately.
What do you do for recreation?
Oh, the usual. Bowl, drive around.
The occasional acid flashback.

Posted Image

Edited by KraftySOT, 24 October 2014 - 06:07 AM.

#31 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:33 AM

What is most amusing about the Catapult video is the vision for LRMs that is made perfectly clear.

"Enemies will die without ever seeing you"

Seems to me that the source of some of the complaints about LRMs has been a design element since the game was conceived.

#32 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:35 AM

I think its because LoS targeting only is difficult to achieve in engine and theyre not going to bother with it.

#33 Thorqemada

• 6,377 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:40 AM

And at the end of the Hunchback Video we have the "Cockpit Glass Effects" we really wanted!

#34 Shadow Magnet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 429 posts
  • LocationLake Constance, Germany

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:33 AM

I reaaaaally love the AC20 air impact effect, wow! Why on earth they removed all this beauty? :(

#35 RetroActive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:47 AM

I thought this was funny from the Hunchback video-

Pros: Has a giant cannon on the shoulder.
Cons: Doesn't have 2 giant cannons.

#36 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:56 AM

When the Centurian gets hit at 1:17 in the catapult video there's a shock wave effect. I don't think I've noticed that effect anymore.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 24 October 2014 - 08:58 AM.

#37 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:01 AM

View PostAntharPrime, on 23 October 2014 - 02:04 PM, said:

Yeah, now it's all brown and bloom.
Posted Image

Shazam! Activate Lens Flare! :P

#38 Sprouticus

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationChicago, Il, USA

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:14 AM

I miss the old Terminator pulse laser sounds. The wubwub may be pupular, but it is kind of meh for me.

And for the graphics...I actually prefer what we have today on pretty much every level. It IS less dynamic, but it is better to play in IMO.

#39 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 03:00 PM

If there's any sound I miss, it's the "boom, groooowl" the autocannons used to have. That was wicked cool.

#40 Timuroslav

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 672 posts
  • Location米国のネバダ州のリノで住んでいます。

Posted 25 October 2014 - 03:11 PM

Actually, I like the sounds a whole lot more now, and the new maps as well.
There is a couple things I miss.
I miss how brawling was an endurance match. Now, everything is just Alpha Strike Twice, it's dead Alpha Strike Twice, it's dead Alpha strike.

In Closed beta and after open Beta you had to actually manage your heat in a heavy and Assault mech.
The Nitty Grittyness was pretty cool.

I still think we have a better product today.
remember How you had to scroll FOREVER waiting for you and your friend to Find your one Assault in the WAy Way Way Way back of Mechlab. ya I don't miss that.

I also don't miss the Jenner Wars of 2012. With their broken Jenner Hitboxes. Actually, I kinda miss the Jenner wars too. lol So many Light Mechs...
The Circle of Doom XD lol "NO DON'T C.O.D. of the JENNER YOU're NOT GONNA WIN!"

I don't miss how there was only 2 maps. Man, how I tolerated 2 maps I still don't know. Tourmaline is Amazing.

I do miss the multiple Readied mechs though.
I don't miss how Modules where useless.
Or the lack of Camo
or the Lack of Mechs.
Or the lack of Game modes.

Yea, I just miss Mech Select and the Jenner Wars.

side note: If you're caught in an explosion or if they're shooting lasers at your cockpit. You're not gonna see ****.

Edited by Timuroslav, 25 October 2014 - 03:14 PM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users