Please Turn Off The Reward You Get For Firing From Behind A Teammate!

39 replies to this topic

#21 Screech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:06 AM

Stop clogging your teammates guns...

See it works both ways.

#22 Felio

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:20 AM

View PostOne of Little Harmony, on 24 October 2014 - 10:17 PM, said:

At least for me, a lot of the time when I hit someone is because of the long fire time of weapons now. When you start the shot you're in the clear, when you've finished your team mate has walked into the line of fire.

When this happens, I move my crosshair to the dirt or the sky. Why wouldn't you?

#23 KamikazeRat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 711 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:01 AM

View PostScreech, on 25 October 2014 - 07:06 AM, said:

Stop clogging your teammates guns...

See it works both ways.

(im sure you posted this as a joke, but you're getting flamed a bit anyway as an exemplar of all the "get out of my way" crowd)

because i can't see your crosshairs...you can.... walking into a stream of bullets and lasers is one thing, but when you pull the trigger, and im in the way...i had no idea you were planning on firing at whatever what on the other side of me. i can't read your mind...i can anticipate the actions of those in my crosshairs better than i can anticipate the actions of those with crosshairs floating around me out of my direct field of view.

scenario: me and two lancemates crest a hill we are met with a direwolf on the other side....teammate to my left one to my right...i see cover from said direwolf....i turn left to go into cover, teammate on my left decides to fire on direwolf and sweeps me across the back....who's fault is it? should i have just stayed in my firelane and took the brunt of a direwolf so that i didnt "cross the streams" or do i do what is tactically sound and find cover and move to flank the wolf? there is no time to communicate "im going to go left" my atlas does not have turn signals.

Edited by KamikazeRat, 25 October 2014 - 08:06 AM.

#24 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:34 AM

View PostDaZur, on 25 October 2014 - 05:57 AM, said:

Not pointing finger at you OP but a point to add to the discussion...

Some players might try "not" walking in front of other players line of fire?

I team shot probably a dozen players last night as the morons jumped in front of me trying to steal the kill... It was both hilarious and frustrating at the same time. :rolleyes:

I have been guilty of crossing the stream myself. I don't complain when it happens. it was MY fault after all.

#25 Mothykins

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts
  • Locationilikerice is my hero.

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:23 AM

• Play Locust.
  • Be peeking over the edge on HPG
  • Suddenly, lasers and red and ow
  • Turn around to see what was happening, as all that's on radar over there is blue
  • Friendly Timberwolf jammed right against me firing lasers into my back
This is not uncommon. At least he wasn't like the last fellow, who put a Gauss round through my back.

#26 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:48 AM

I agree that it CUTS BOTH WAYS

Last night on Mining, in my DDC, I'm in a position, firing on multiple enemies up on a line of buildings, the enemy, and us are basically exchanging fire along a firing line. I've have been in firing position, and firing my weapons at targets of availability for several minutes. Basically playing "whack a mole" at this point. I am on the extreme right end of our "line".

Well, here comes a "friendly" Jager, walking up from my left, and proceeds to PARK RIGHT THE F*CH in front of my mech. There was probably 50 meters of "unclaimed" ground on my left he could have stopped in. BUT NO, this *ssh*t had to stop in front of me, and just sit there. When he takes a few rounds of fire from the enemy, he moves slightly left of me. Ok, fine, now I can fire again, so I zoom back in and start shooting again. Then, while I'm zoomed in, this same *ssh*t in the Jager, moves back into my way and takes a load of LPL's and an AC20 round up his dirt chute.

It didn't kill him, but I knocked a whole bunch of sh*t off his mech.

He then had the nerve to turn his mech towards me, still blocking me, and say "thanks" in team chat.

I didn't even bother to respond to this f-tard. I mean, what's the point, it wouldn't do any good. I'm sure he'd be the first one to scream for team damage penalties as well.

It cuts both ways mechwarriors.

I do try to mitigate any team damage when I can, even if someone runs across my guns while I'm firing, which happens often, I try to jerk the crosshairs out of the way. But it doesn't always happen in time. And I too, have been the guy in the light or medium that's been swept or hit from behind. I don't say anything most of the time, especially if I'm the one that has been moving/underway/cutting across the fire line.

But if I can, I try to pull back, and make sure I go BEHIND the guy firing on my right or left, if I need to relocate, instead of just crossing in front of him.

#27 ManOpeace

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:02 AM

I deal team damage mostly when I am in a brand new mech and I'm not used to where the guns and lasers are all at.

Other then that, its when I'm looking at the enemy, and fire my lasers. Half way through my lasers I have one or more teammates jump through it like kids through a lawn sprinkler.

If I could just click my laser button a second time to shut them down and start the cooldown (and more importantly stop the extra heat) that would be soooooooo nice.

#28 Hillslam

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationWestern Hemisphere

Posted 25 October 2014 - 02:33 PM

Obviously it cuts both ways.

As an assautl that tops out at 60kph I will tell you 90% oft he time for me its from people who fire from behind me and NOT me walking into their LOS. They've been hiding behind me all game. I lieterally have to wipe my a$$ along a wall for 200meters to get these clingers off. Then the core my right rear torso....

It was bad before but the point is these new rewards are encouraging TOO close of formations. And rear FF is going up bad.

Edited by Hillslam, 25 October 2014 - 02:39 PM.

#29 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:55 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 25 October 2014 - 08:34 AM, said:

I have been guilty of crossing the stream myself. I don't complain when it happens. it was MY fault after all.

There's a big difference between "Maneuvering in the heat of battle" and wandering into someone's field of fire and "Jumping recklessly" into someone's field of fire hell bent on claiming a kill at any cost... :rolleyes:

You and I both know the proper response for either scenario is to "check fire" as it's the person firing's responsibility to clear his firing line before pulling the trigger. That said, in MW:O the worst that happens is some schmuck gets cored and has to start another game... Real life has real consequences.

#30 Xtrekker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 865 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:04 PM

Yeah, I think I'm done for the weekend. Just made three drops and in two of them I died primarily to friendly fire.

First, Crimson Straight, in the tunnel. Two Atlases from my lance push the tunnel, I follow for support in my JM6-S. Misery comes in behind. After some exchange the Atlases push through while the Misery sits back sniping from behind everyone. I'm pinned to the wall. I look to the Stalker, who is hanging way back isn't pushing forward. I fall in behind the Atlases, then clear slightly to the right to bring the 20's to bear on an exposed target. Boom, the entire right side of my mech is gone. I think I died to some random small arms fire immediately after, so he didn't get the TK. Thanks Misery.

It happens.

Second, beginning of match on HPG, a Jenner cruises in close as we enter the main array. My lance has pushed through already, and another lance is a ways behind us. I go for the Jenner in the JM6-S again (different load out this time), get a couple of shots in before he skitters off. Boom. WTF, my rear CT is gone, cored out. I turn around and find a lone Timberwolf. I just stare at him for the longest time, trying to convey "Really?" About a minute later I engage a Stormcrow, and a nearby Firestarter grazes my backside, and I pop. 168 damage and a two minute game.

This is for the birds. It's been a long while since I've taken any significant friendly fire (I'm very careful about crossing lanes, etc.), so 2/3 is enough for me to say eff it for the tourney.

#31 KamikazeRat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 711 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:10 PM

View PostXtrekker, on 25 October 2014 - 09:04 PM, said:

Yeah, I think I'm done for the weekend. Just made three drops and in two of them I died primarily to friendly fire.

First, Crimson Straight, in the tunnel. Two Atlases from my lance push the tunnel, I follow for support in my JM6-S. Misery comes in behind. After some exchange the Atlases push through while the Misery sits back sniping from behind everyone. I'm pinned to the wall. I look to the Stalker, who is hanging way back isn't pushing forward. I fall in behind the Atlases, then clear slightly to the right to bring the 20's to bear on an exposed target. Boom, the entire right side of my mech is gone. I think I died to some random small arms fire immediately after, so he didn't get the TK. Thanks Misery.

It happens.

Second, beginning of match on HPG, a Jenner cruises in close as we enter the main array. My lance has pushed through already, and another lance is a ways behind us. I go for the Jenner in the JM6-S again (different load out this time), get a couple of shots in before he skitters off. Boom. WTF, my rear CT is gone, cored out. I turn around and find a lone Timberwolf. I just stare at him for the longest time, trying to convey "Really?" About a minute later I engage a Stormcrow, and a nearby Firestarter grazes my backside, and I pop. 168 damage and a two minute game.

This is for the birds. It's been a long while since I've taken any significant friendly fire (I'm very careful about crossing lanes, etc.), so 2/3 is enough for me to say eff it for the tourney.

yeah, its pretty bad if you're in an assault or slow-heavy....try switching to a lighter mech (mediums or fast-heavy is what i've been doing) and people won't try to steal your kills as much, so you get less TKing

EDIT: also...play conquest...it plays alot better now with the cap timers changed, and alot of the people going for weekend event are probably going to stick to skirmish/assault

EDIT2: can't spell to save my life.....

Edited by KamikazeRat, 25 October 2014 - 09:12 PM.

#32 Xtrekker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 865 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:23 PM

View PostKamikazeRat, on 25 October 2014 - 09:10 PM, said:

yeah, its pretty bad if you're in an assault or slow-heavy....try switching to a lighter mech (mediums or fast-heavy is what i've been doing) and people won't try to steal your kills as much, so you get less TKing

EDIT: also...play conquest...it plays alot better now with the cap timers changed, and alot of the people going for weekend event are probably going to stick to skirmish/assault

EDIT2: can't spell to save my life.....

Probably good advice, thanks.

#33 Hillslam

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:25 PM

I dont think its being driven by the tourney so much as the new reward system. This started then.

Friendlies hiding in the backs of the assaults has really gotten out of hand.

#34 xxREVxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 428 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:32 PM

View PostHillslam, on 24 October 2014 - 08:53 PM, said:

My arms and rear side torsos cannot take the friendly fire much longer.

thanks

ahahahahahahaa!! Now THAT'S fookin funny!! Too true...but funny! Thank you, Hillslam! :lol:

#35 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:32 PM

Then cure it by eliminating the kill reward and just stick with damage done and assists for the next competition.

#36 Xenon Codex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Over the Rainbow

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:37 PM

Yeah, there definitely needs to be some highlighting of friendly fire. As it is now the targeting reticle turns red for BOTH enemy and friendly hits. It really needs to be a different color for a friendly hit with a big warning message on the HUD. A verbal chastise from Btch'n Betty would also help curb the enthusiasm.

The new rewards are definitely acerbating the problem, but I don't think removing them is the answer. People are getting too close and not minding their firing lanes, especially for their arm mounted weapons which can be tricky, and just need some positive reinforcement to play smarter.

Edited by XenonCx, 25 October 2014 - 09:41 PM.

#37 Xtrekker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 865 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:38 PM

View PostXenonCx, on 25 October 2014 - 09:37 PM, said:

Yeah, there definitely needs to be some highlighting of friendly fire. As it is now the targeting reticle turns red for BOTH enemy and friendly hits. It really needs to be a different color for a friendly hit with a big warning message on the HUD.

The new rewards are definitely acerbating the problem. People are getting too close and not minding their firing lanes, especially for their arm mounted weapons.

How about a big warning in team chat? That would be fun.

#38 Hillslam

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:07 PM

Dont remove them - push out a min distance for the reward to reward smart distances.

instead of this "smell the butt of the assault" crap we got going now.

#39 Screech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:43 AM

View PostKamikazeRat, on 25 October 2014 - 08:01 AM, said:

(im sure you posted this as a joke, but you're getting flamed a bit anyway as an exemplar of all the "get out of my way" crowd)

Mostly just kidding. I do feel, however, if you are constantly getting hit with FF it is most likely your own fault. Also if you are constantly getting "your" kills "stolen" you are most likely a bad shot.

I am sure people will argue and claim they are awesome everyone else sucks and I know nothing.

#40 Hillslam

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:05 PM

View PostScreech, on 26 October 2014 - 07:43 AM, said:

Mostly just kidding. I do feel, however, if you are constantly getting hit with FF it is most likely your own fault. Also if you are constantly getting "your" kills "stolen" you are most likely a bad shot.

I am sure people will argue and claim they are awesome everyone else sucks and I know nothing.

I cross the line of friendly LOS. We all make that mistake.

I don't complain about it. I'll even apologize in chat.

But when I'm standing still in a barn door of an assault, and have been for the past 10 secs? Yeah... there's no excuse for a sudden alpha to my Left Rear Torso. (except the Jager who was peeking out from behind me and just saw a squirrel). There is ALOT of hiding behind friendlies going on post-patch.

Like I said: scrape my a$$ along a wall for a couple dozen meters usually gets em off. But they'll return right back the moment I take one step forward.

Edited by Hillslam, 26 October 2014 - 07:06 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users