Halloween Tournament.

62 replies to this topic

#1 KraftySOT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:47 AM

Bring on the Lurms and Metabuilds. My war.....struggling to get Mechbays.

#2 Mothykins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts
  • Locationilikerice is my hero.

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:06 AM

What to run, what to run...

Vintage Cheese K2, with twin ERPPC and Gauss?
Locust 1V, with Machineguns and Tag?
Jester with Tag, Small Lasers and PPCs?

The Huggin I'm buying in about fours hours?

#3 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:08 AM

With the point system, anything thats good, is good. Going to start out with the Raven, its halloween after all, and see if I can nab prizes every game. Failing that, its Splathawk time. If the LRM brigade comes out in force, I guess ill have to LRM, but hopefully that wont happen till tonight/tommorow afternoon.

#4 Mothykins

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts
  • Locationilikerice is my hero.

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:10 AM

View PostKraftySOT, on 31 October 2014 - 08:08 AM, said:

With the point system, anything thats good, is good. Going to start out with the Raven, its halloween after all, and see if I can nab prizes every game. Failing that, its Splathawk time. If the LRM brigade comes out in force, I guess ill have to LRM, but hopefully that wont happen till tonight/tommorow afternoon.

I have a Stalker That I could LURM up just for you.

#5 Quxudica

• Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:13 AM

How do you know if you qualified?

#6 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:29 AM

View PostQuxudica, on 31 October 2014 - 08:13 AM, said:

How do you know if you qualified?

Go to this page: http://mwomercs.com/tournaments and it'll tell you how many games you've played that had a qualifying score. Keep in mind, the event doesn't start for another 30 minutes (from the time of this post).

Also - there's no need to rely on "meta builds" or LRMspam. With this event's scoring system, 30 points should be pretty easy to achieve in virtually every game.

Here's the formula: (kills) + (kill_assists × 2) + (spot_assist × 2) + ((damage - friendlyfire_damage) ÷ 15) + (cbills_earned ÷ 10000) + (xp_earned ÷ 100)

Edited by DEMAX51, 31 October 2014 - 08:29 AM.

#7 Quxudica

• Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:31 AM

View PostDEMAX51, on 31 October 2014 - 08:29 AM, said:

Go to this page: http://mwomercs.com/tournaments and it'll tell you how many games you've played that had a qualifying score. Keep in mind, the event doesn't start for another 30 minutes (from the time of this post).

Also - there's no need to rely on "meta builds" or LRMspam. With this event's scoring system, 30 points should be pretty easy to achieve in virtually every game.

Here's the formula: (kills) + (kill_assists × 2) + (spot_assist × 2) + ((damage - friendlyfire_damage) ÷ 15) + (cbills_earned ÷ 10000) + (xp_earned ÷ 100)

Thanks for the info, I read the page when I saw the event on the launcher but I didn't realize that's where your score was shown and also didn't realize it wasn't quite started yet.

#8 Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 684 posts
  • LocationCocoa Beach, FL

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:31 AM

I never do well with "meta" builds or LRMs... I just might make a Stalker into a LRM boat since everyone else will be... but meh, I never do well with them. I'll just run my normal builds for the most part tho... I do well with them!

#9 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:41 AM

Well if you want to make SURE you get a prize every game:

*tag and narc, just like cbill farming, a 300k game is 30 points
*light mechs and ERLL, hit everything, 12 assists x 2 is 24 of your points. All you have to do then is make more than 60k, which you did, with assists
*LRMs, hit stuff, get stuff
*use your x2 xp, 3,000 xp is 30 points
*if you win premium time right off the bat, youre in luck, that makes it easier to get

You dont have to do these things to get the prizes, but if youre space poor, theres some simple steps.

What to do if youre getting rolled?

FARM CBILLS. Stick with the mechball, even if youre losing, running away isnt getting you prizes, kills aint worth much but kill assists and XP and cbills still are. Keep getting that proximity, lance formation, etc right down till youve been rolled over. If youre lucky, you still got a couple assists, 2 or 3, 450 damage, 600 xp, and 100k cbills. Just enough to scrap in over 30 points.

Of course if you have premium time, this is a slam dunk "get a roll every game" event for you.

What to do about the LRM nightmare?

Raven 3L is your answer. ECM spider or Kitfox too. Even a DDC is good. If you dont have one, stick with the people who do. Stay in cover. Farm the cbills. Every 10k is something else you dont have to do. Conquest is gonna be good pay for this event. More xp and cbills up for grabs in that gamemode. Also less likely be the one getting LRM spammed, and plenty of 'lone wolves' that run off in every direction for you to LURM.

Edited by KraftySOT, 31 October 2014 - 08:43 AM.

#10 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:47 AM

View PostMoonlander, on 31 October 2014 - 08:31 AM, said:

I never do well with "meta" builds or LRMs... I just might make a Stalker into a LRM boat since everyone else will be... but meh, I never do well with them. I'll just run my normal builds for the most part tho... I do well with them!

There's really no reason at all to change up your playstyle for this event. 30 points under this scoring system is easy-peasy.

Example: 0 Kills, 4 Assists, 300 damage, 0 spotting assists, 80,000 c-bills earned, 600 XP earned = 42 points (well more than the 30 points you need, and those numbers are pretty easy to average).

#11 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:48 AM

View PostKraftySOT, on 31 October 2014 - 07:47 AM, said:

Bring on the Lurms and Metabuilds. My war.....struggling to get Mechbays.

Should we all have Franken Camo on for this? :huh:

And of course I am working 10s this weekend! <_<

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 31 October 2014 - 08:50 AM.

#12 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:57 AM

Sigh.

Look, people, if it's going to be fought in the Solo Queue...you'd best prepare to fight with Solo Queue tactics.

First of all, there are no "teams." There are loose conglomerations of people placed on the same side of a conflict. Noone coordinated who was going to bring what. Certain things that tend to be organized between teammates in a lance/star/company beforehand simply will not happen. This is one of the primary reasons for the one sided roflstomps.

ECM and Counter ECM: Guess what. Normally, in the Solo Queue, the team with the most effective ECM wins. By "effective," I mean "the ECM that stays with his team and maximizes the number of mechs in his bubble" as opposed to "the most elite CoD sniper ever" or "the ECM guy with the most LRMs." If you want ECM, the only way to guarantee you'll have it is to bring it.

Same with Counter-ECM. If you're in a Clan mech and you don't have an active probe, you're an idiot. 1 ton, 1 slot and it makes ECM go away. Then your teammates will see the red triangle (assuming you know how to lock targets). Your teammates tend to be scraped from the bottom of the barrel most of the time because the matchmaker uses them to average out Elo scores between teams. Assuming you know how to lock targets, your team will flock to the red triangle like lemmings. Try not to lock the squirrels...they'll chase them with Dire Wolves.

I don't know what the current meta is in the group queue, but in the solo queue...it's lurms. Lots of lurms with all the bells and whistles. You see, new players can't aim. That's why they go for "fire and forget" systems so much. Oh, I should have mentioned this before...you WILL be playing with new players. The statements from PGI that they were lowering new players' Elo scores so they will not be in general population.....yeah, that worked about as well as every other thing they've ever tried. Perhaps, maybe, Paul hit the matchmaker with his football bat so hard in the last round of nerfs that it doesn't know what it's doing. I don't know, but you will see them.

That being said, expect to hear "lock targets please" a lot and don't expect them to do anything but follow the herd and make it rain. They don't bring TAG, UAVs, NARCs or anything else. They don't have modules. They can't build mechs (we still see a lot of LRM boat DDCs without ECM). I know it doesn't sound that bad, but that's going under the assumption that you're only going to have one or two of them on your team. You'd be surprised. The rule of thumb in the solo queue is "the better you are, the more you have to carry." I know some of those Group guys have seriously high Elos by this point. They're probably going to end up with at least 3 or 4 nosegoblins every single match, just to even them out.

Oh well, it is what it is. Enjoy your stay. See what we have to deal with every single day. Granted, this weekend is going to be like any other event...more of same, just a lot more of it. Good luck.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 31 October 2014 - 08:48 AM, said:

Most of mine are going as pirates.

#13 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:57 AM

View PostDEMAX51, on 31 October 2014 - 08:47 AM, said:

There's really no reason at all to change up your playstyle for this event. 30 points under this scoring system is easy-peasy.

Example: 0 Kills, 4 Assists, 300 damage, 0 spotting assists, 80,000 c-bills earned, 600 XP earned = 42 points (well more than the 30 points you need, and those numbers are pretty easy to average).

Yeah I should be able to manage that even after the twelve pack.

#14 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:01 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 31 October 2014 - 08:48 AM, said:

Lame, was hoping to see you around. I gotta play a concert tomorrow night, and theres festivities this evening, but im in grind mode...alllll weeekend.

And yeah the zombies are going to be groaning "Looooock...tuuuurgeeeeets....braaaaaaiiiinnnss" all weekend long.

View PostBilbo, on 31 October 2014 - 08:57 AM, said:

Yeah I should be able to manage that even after the twelve pack.

Just poured my first whiskey. Should be live now. Lets get this ON.

#15 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:02 AM

View PostKraftySOT, on 31 October 2014 - 09:01 AM, said:

Lame, was hoping to see you around. I gotta play a concert tomorrow night, and theres festivities this evening, but im in grind mode...alllll weeekend.

And yeah the zombies are going to be groaning &quot;Looooock...tuuuurgeeeeets....braaaaaaiiiinnnss&quot; all weekend long.

Just poured my first whiskey. Should be live now. Lets get this ON.

Unfortunately, I've a few hours before I'll be able to play in any sense of the word.

#16 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:02 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 31 October 2014 - 08:57 AM, said:

Most of mine are going as pirates.
Cap'n Jack Swallow! LOL

Pirates are good Sir!.

#17 Piney II

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:03 AM

For the sky shall be blighted with clouds of LRMs................. :D

#18 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:05 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 31 October 2014 - 09:02 AM, said:

Cap'n Jack Swallow! LOL

Pirates are good Sir!.

Actually, it's pretty much the skull and crossbones. They're all over the place on Clan mechs. I don't play my IS garbage anymore. :P

#19 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:12 AM

First match was a complete disaster...we capped the enemy base while killing nothing...I did 6 damage, 33k, 400k...rofl.

Damn you Funkadelic Mayhem!!!

#20 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:13 AM

View PostPiney, on 31 October 2014 - 09:03 AM, said: