How To Atlas-As7-S?

75 replies to this topic

#21 Cold Cash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:24 PM

Yeah i dont think people get my build, it can play fine as a std atlas brawler however with the low tonnage lrm5's and and enough ammo, i treat it like its a 1000m shotgun.
Im neither afraid to brawl or stand at range if the situation warrants it. Thats the important thing you need to be able to read the situation.
At 190m+ ranges the lrms are used just like a ballistic since heat isnt so bad and i use a 9by9.
It also gets more kills and affects the game more positively than a pure brawler build.

Im also happy to sacrifice myself if the situation needs it, to many people these days are all about themselves to the detriment of teamplay.

Edited by Cold Cash, 08 December 2014 - 01:26 PM.

#22 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:21 PM

If you LRM in an Atlas, you're either:

Trolling a challenge event.

or

Have no clue.

Avoid 4xLRM5. You need 6 +Artemis to make it work and one AMS negates about 95% of your damage. LRM5 is essentially wasting tonnage. Leave it for the Catapult A/ KTOs.

Atlas is the brawler. The S is for 'up close and personal'.

You should never be the first mech, nor the last. You should be in the middle beating on mediums and wounded heavies. TEAMWORK saves the Atlas.

HIDE in the crowd ! BULLY those smaller or outnumbered ! You are NOT the Hero, you simply cant do it alone.

Dont shootout versus other assaults. Maybe vs a Victor cuz he likely has an XL engine and similar weapons. Warhawk if you can get his RT.
Stalker will out range you, so will Clans. Banshee E will out dakka you. Banshee M will out maneuver you.

http://metamechs.com/mwo-tier-lists/

Atlas DDC = Atlas S in most cases.

Dont rely on ECM as a crutch. Learn where and when to move. Dont worry about the enemy knowing your damage, they will go for your RT first in any case, twist as needed. Dont go solo and dont stick out in the crowd unless the enemy is going down

I mainly pilot lights. Scariest Atlas to solo is the one with its SRMs

#23 ShadowbaneX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 08:09 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 08 December 2014 - 07:21 PM, said:

Dont worry about the enemy knowing your damage, they will go for your RT first in any case, twist as needed. Dont go solo and dont stick out in the crowd unless the enemy is going down

I mainly pilot lights. Scariest Atlas to solo is the one with its SRMs

This is why I like the AS7-S. If they do go for my RT they're eating an SRM4 volley every half second they try for it...and my AC/20 for as long as it survives. As I said above, 4 SRM4s with the AS7-S' quirks and a cooldown module and you can chain-fire them non-stop...well, until heat becomes an issue. Regardless of the heat, it gives the Atlas a much needed 2nd punch to it's AC/20.

#24 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 08:31 PM

I've had some success with a 3x5 + 1x10 LRMs, 2MPL for zombie justice, TAG, and an AC20. March with your team while shooting LRMs at targets of opportunity; I have them grouped in 4 and 5, with 5 chain fire and 4 group fire. Then, if you smell weakness and think your team will follow, charge in with AC20 blazing and use the MPL to carve off stripped components. Good vs everything but fast lights, and can threaten even them with a lucky AC hit or LRM+TAG if they fail to manage their distance from you properly.

Had a 700 damage game a minute ago with this, top of team and tons of fun. It was like being an atlas in the old days, when it was feared. Skirmished for a little bit with LRMs, messed up a Mist Lynx and Nova which my allies pursued and killed, then bum-rushed the main enemy force (they were in a bad position, hiding behind the island on Forest Colony Snow) with my AC20 blazing. Bam, Hellbringer down by both STs, boom, Timber Wolf down by coring and a little well-timed MPL love, shazam, I don't even remember what the last mech was because it was kind of a blur at that point, but it bit it too, just in time. Turned around and had the last of my CT armor stripped by a Dire Wolf, TAG'd him, he died, TAG'd another light, (Adder, I think?) and he died too. Was down to my TAG and MPLs after that DW hit. Dual Gauss + lasers or something, winged my ST or I'd have died on the spot. Amazed I kept my arm with the TAG on it, frankly. Very lucky that the damage spread there.

#25 WarGruf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 301 posts
  • LocationNorth Wales (DropShip)

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:32 PM

I didn't look at the other posts to be fair, I saw your loadouts and crindged o_0

Your almost there 4ML, AC20, 3 SRM 4 and 1 LRM 5 works really well for me but that has modules for LRM cooldown, Srm4 and AC20, Radar Dep and Target info installed ;)

Other wise your probably playing it wrong being a brawling mech... You cant tank at range and have to use the cover thats on the map. If you dont play regularly with people in a group its ok or PuG land but I would hold back for aout 4-5 Minuites or so unless you see a good flank oppertunity.

P.S. STD 350 works well with almost Full armor :ph34r:

#26 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:36 PM

Ragnarok

I use this to great effect. Take advantage of those SRM4 quirks, you'll do wonders.

#27 Attish

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 28 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:58 AM

Personally I used this AS7-S build to master it.
With the BAP u can aid your teammates behind u (before hellbringer came out), it can surprise ddc`s, and other lone ecm mechs in a brawl ;)
The SRM-s can open armor fast enough and the LBX can seek those crit for quick destruction :D

#28 UndeadEdd

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:53 AM

View PostInspectorG, on 08 December 2014 - 07:21 PM, said:

If you LRM in an Atlas, you're either:
Trolling a challenge event.
or
Have no clue.

Or you already have 2-3 brawler Atlases, 2 of them very similar to the proposed SRM4/6 build of the S variant and just want something different.

#29 Nehkrosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 772 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 07:04 AM

4 Mlas, 4 SRM4s, AC20, biggest engine, and AMS.
bout 3 tons for each weapon system.
and practically full armour cept the legs.
done.

#30 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:40 PM

View PostUndeadEdd, on 09 December 2014 - 06:53 AM, said:

Or you already have 2-3 brawler Atlases, 2 of them very similar to the proposed SRM4/6 build of the S variant and just want something different.

That too.

Could go all Wub Boar's Head...

#31 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:46 AM

View PostInspectorG, on 09 December 2014 - 05:40 PM, said:

That too.

Could go all Wub Boar's Head...

I can't get the Boar's Head to feel good to me at all. Should have named that thing "Buyer's Remorse."

#32 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:47 AM

View PostTim East, on 10 December 2014 - 04:46 AM, said:

I can't get the Boar's Head to feel good to me at all. Should have named that thing "Buyer's Remorse."

Well, you can rename mechs now, so it's not too late.

#33 UndeadEdd

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:57 AM

View PostTim East, on 10 December 2014 - 04:46 AM, said:

How about this: BOAR'S HEAD ?
With both ac20 modules and an MPL range module.

#34 BoldricKent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 251 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:21 PM

My entry in assault class...AS7-S. I had few horrid matches, but last two made me think this might work, dispatch most of heavy lance on my own, still i think there is some room to improve (havent done basic yet). Weapon gropings are MLs, Srms,
and ac20 tied with LPL, heat is manageable, srm ammo is a bit short, and its slow. I feel best in JJ mediums.
I have D-DC in hanger,collecting dust 2xLPL,Ac20,2xSSRM2... so next question would be, which should be 3rd Atlas ?
I appreciate any constructive input...thx.

#35 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:51 PM

Well, first off you've got half a ton you're not using so at bare minimum if you take nothing else form this post, drop 1 point of armour from each leg and add half a ton of SRM ammo to your LT.

If you want to go further, if heat is "manageable" drop 3 heat sinks, add endo steel, upgrade your engine to a 330 standard, add a ton of srm ammo and then replace the heat sinks in the engine. So all told for the loss of two heat sinks and some c-bills you upgrade your engine, and you get an extra ton of SRM ammo.

#36 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:57 PM

This is how I built mine:

4x MLs, 4x LRM5s, 1 AC20, moves fast enough that you're not left alone to fend for yourself.

AS7-S

If you want, you can drop a heatsink (if you're good at heat management) and add more armor to the legs (I run 3 instead of 4 in the engine).

You can help out the team as they move into position by keeping that constant barrage of LRM5s up (chainfire, but watch to see if they have a lot of AMS - if they do, hold off until they're running out of ammo on it), and then when things get close, you're a brawler with the MLs and AC20. Pretty fun build.

#37 BoldricKent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 251 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:33 AM

Thx, ShadowbaneX, those are excelent suggestion,the speed bump is quite big...always thought endo isnt assult class thingy.

#38 sC4r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 475 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 13 December 2014 - 05:07 AM

this is my most successful build
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b36fe53d6bf6c7c

it isnt very good for pug you really need to be in party for it to work , as some pointed out for atlas there is no S so once you push you gotta commit and you can be almost 100% sure you will die so you gotta make the most of it while you can

the burst on this is quite devastating... pretty much fire and twist
just make sure you dont get caught by some long ranger or you are practice target :)

as an alternate that works if you want some long range http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ecf87b63bcd6022 or instead of ams and lrm put in 2LLs and heatsink->you still remain very effective brawler but with some long range abilities

#39 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 07:23 AM

View PostBoldricKent, on 13 December 2014 - 04:33 AM, said:

Thx, ShadowbaneX, those are excelent suggestion,the speed bump is quite big...always thought endo isnt assult class thingy.

You're welcome. I hope it helps.

Endo or Ferro isn't normally an assault thing...at least if you want your mechs to be heat efficient. Double Heat Sinks eat too much space. The counter is that if you fit a large enough engine you can get some back, but you sometimes really have to SimCity it.

I run mine with a STD 325, 2 LLs, 2 MLs, AC/20 (4t), 4 SRM4s (4t). It's post #9 back on the first page if you want to take a look. It's only got 13 DHS, all in the engine, and you cannot* alpha with this mech

The LLs are for targets at range. You could upgrade them to ER's if you really want to (the heat difference isn't that large), but once things get in close, I'm not using them.*

The MLs are only there as back-ups. I usually only fire them if I've lost my AC/20.

Lastly, chain fire the SRMs. First because Ghost Heat. Second, if you have Fast Fire and the tier 5 cooldown module for them you can shotgun the SRMs. Just hold down the fire button for them and watch as an endless stream** of SRMs rip in to things. Feel free to punctuate this with AC/20 fire.

*these are more guide lines than rules really. You can alpha strike once or twice with this thing, but save it for things that have REALLY annoyed you. That annoying Locust comes around a corner. Give it everything. 82 point alpha strike to the face. Watch it crumple to the ground then walk over it's slagged corpse as your heat slowly ticks back down. I will fire the LLs in close or the MLs before losing the AC/20 if I'm trying to pick out a single section when it's in the red.

**well, heat permitting. I think you can fire for 17 seconds before overheating, or 13 if you're firing AC/20s at the same time...but with a salvo every half second, that's 16 DPS for just the SRMs and you can maintain that for 17 seconds...that's 34 salvos non-stop.

Edited by ShadowbaneX, 13 December 2014 - 10:09 PM.

#40 Walluh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 682 posts
  • LocationLovingly stroking my Crab Waifu

Posted 13 December 2014 - 05:02 PM

View PostSillen, on 07 December 2014 - 03:26 AM, said:

Atlas brawling is for the other variants, the -S wants to rain the pain

No Atlas wants to rain the pain.

Ever.

Stop boating LRMs on Atlai. Backup LRM is fine. Boating is never, ever fine.

Edited by Walluh, 13 December 2014 - 05:03 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users