75 replies to this topic

#61 pwnface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:18 PM

View PostSmokeyjedi, on 19 December 2014 - 06:03 PM, said:

If you are going to hold hands with your DDC lancemate or Hellbringer Lancemate this could work using someone elses ECM.......A big slow visable splat cat?? What would you do for the 450M a ERML has on you........or 700M+ that a ERLL has for range? thats a lot of unanswered pokes in the CT by the time they close the distance on you......oh wait, after they see this build i image they would stay you know 600M away where you are as scary as a fluffy bunny.

What If you are left behind? this build becomes dog food. Anyone stupid enough to decide to brawl with your face doesnt belong in a mech. What kind of team actually waits for the Atlas anyhow.......(must be nice)

Or you could just not stand out in the open and let people poke you? Use terrain to block line of sight, most maps have walls, corners, hills that will protect you from enemy fire.

If you are standing in the open trading long range fire with enemy mechs you WILL be losing trades. If you are getting shot at range in an Atlas find some cover! Almost every match will have a phase when mechs are in close combat, your job as an Atlas is to make it into the brawl with as much armor as possible.

One thing to remember, sometimes when you are pushing into a brawl the enemy team will have great focus fire and take you down first. This is largely unavoidable and is entirely worth it if your team is pushing with you and can take out 2-4mechs for your death. If you torso twist correctly you can tank a LOT of damage from the enemy team. Sometimes you won't have amazing damage numbers or kills because you got focused by the enemy, you should be totally okay with this if you spearheading the push allows your team to win.

Regarding getting left behind...
If you are running a STD350 engine you are fast enough to keep up with the group if you don't stop and smell the roses. If you are afraid of getting left behind, you should ask your team to regroup with you before you get stranded. Even in pug matches chat can be a great tool to help get your team coordinate, they might not always listen but at least there is a chance. Find the other assault mechs on your team and clump together with them, an Atlas is not a solo hero and requires support from the team.

#62 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:32 PM

View PostShadowbaneX, on 19 December 2014 - 07:52 PM, said:

Actually, you're wrong too...you're forgetting ghost heat. Still, the numbers actually say that the SRM6 is more heat efficient...which is strange.

Still, I'm actually kinda surprised at those numbers. Well, one, the DPS is so close together. 0.06 dps difference? Really rather surprised at that.

FLD I might consider arguing since a 24 missile swarm is massive unless you're actually touching the enemy mech quite a few missiles are going to miss. Add to that the 4 tons saved for an heat sink, an extra ton of srm ammo & some armour so you just don't get legged.

For those being snarky about "I'm still gonna use my non-artemis SRM4s, and chain fire them to minimize their effectiveness beccause I have fun," I have one thing to say to you:

This is a How To thread in the Guides section of the forums. If you are going to get offended because someone told you your build isn't optimal, you may be in the wrong place.

Edited by Void Angel, 22 December 2014 - 03:36 PM.

#63 ShadowbaneX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:44 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 22 December 2014 - 03:32 PM, said:

This is a How To thread in the Guides section of the forums. If you are going to get offended because someone told you your build isn't optimal, you may be in the wrong place.

I was operating under the assumption that chain firing SRM4s was optimal. The math was done, I was wrong, I shut up and starting playing instead of spamming the forums. That said, I still prefer doing it that way. So I'll run around being suboptimal with my chain-fired SRM4s and others can go around link-firing SRM6s...no epic Picard double face-palm required.

#64 Kai Allard Liao

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 109 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:58 PM

Atlas S?

Great Mech and doing good Torso Twist is only a Question of Piloting:

Most important is to use Nvidia Dawn, 4 Leaf Clover and Isobaric Speakers. Otherwise this Build will not work!

Edited by Kai Allard Liao, 22 December 2014 - 05:00 PM.

#65 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:00 PM

#66 Kai Allard Liao

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 109 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:16 PM

View PostShadowbaneX, on 22 December 2014 - 04:44 PM, said:

...no epic Picard double face-palm required.

He is only one more Troll, who think his Opinion is the one and only best.
He will learn it when he grows up - or die stupid.

Fact: There is not one universal best loadout for everyone. The best personally Loadout is the one, which works best with your individual way to play.

Edited by Kai Allard Liao, 22 December 2014 - 06:32 PM.

#67 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:43 PM

View PostKai Allard Liao, on 22 December 2014 - 05:16 PM, said:

He is only one more Troll, who think his Opinion is the one and only best.
He will learn it when he grows up - or die stupid.

Fact: There is no one universal best loadout for everyone. The best personally Loadout is the one, which works best with your individual way to play.

True. In this case the numbers do sorta pan out. Well, the DPS is very similar, but heat, or rather, heat per second, is in favour of the SRM6s.

#68 pwnface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:22 AM

View PostKai Allard Liao, on 22 December 2014 - 04:58 PM, said:

Atlas S?

Great Mech and doing good Torso Twist is only a Question of Piloting:

Most important is to use Nvidia Dawn, 4 Leaf Clover and Isobaric Speakers. Otherwise this Build will not work!

Please don't encourage people to run LRM atlas builds. You may have gotten 5 last hits in 1 minute but it doesn't prove anything. On top of that the kills you got were using BRAWLER weapons and not LRMs. You would have been able to kill those some mechs more quickly and effectively if you didn't gimp yourself with LRMs.

I can agree that the best personally loadout is the one which works best with your individual way to play as you so eloquently put it. The problem is that there is pretty definitive superior way to play an Atlas that doesn't include LRMs.

So sure, if you are having major FPS issues or can't hit the broadside of a barn with a shotgun or have a tendency to stand in wide open ground and eat long range fire or are just a bad player in general, please by all means continue equipping and throwing LRMs on your Atlas.

#69 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:56 AM

View Postpwnface, on 23 December 2014 - 09:22 AM, said:

Please don't encourage people to run LRM atlas builds. You may have gotten 5 last hits in 1 minute but it doesn't prove anything. On top of that the kills you got were using BRAWLER weapons and not LRMs. You would have been able to kill those some mechs more quickly and effectively if you didn't gimp yourself with LRMs.

I can agree that the best personally loadout is the one which works best with your individual way to play as you so eloquently put it. The problem is that there is pretty definitive superior way to play an Atlas that doesn't include LRMs.

So sure, if you are having major FPS issues or can't hit the broadside of a barn with a shotgun or have a tendency to stand in wide open ground and eat long range fire or are just a bad player in general, please by all means continue equipping and throwing LRMs on your Atlas.

Very much this,currently with the quirks some mediums,trebs and hunchy J will have better dps than LRM-Atlas.
If brawling is challenging(and it is with just the basics done,atlas is pretty sluggish) i recommend the "suprise atlas" strategy with SRM:s and AC20,stand behind a corner,let your team mates lure the prey to you,then BLAM,torsotwist,BLAM,coolshot,BLAM. If anything survives that,it has all the right to do so.

#70 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:25 AM

If I had a AS7-S, I would build it as follow,

AS7-S, http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0c018080f06e989

Edited by TheLuc, 04 February 2015 - 02:25 AM.

#71 FoxTrot05

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:30 PM

I was using my AS7 as my main reaper for this last challenge. I don't know how piloting it is going to change now that people aren't as blood thirsty anymore. I've used AMS, AC20, LPL, and SRM20(no-artemis). Now I am using AC20, LPL, and SRM24+A, after shaving the armor on my arms. The spread is tighter and now it's harder to get a partial hit, but I hope my aim improves and I get deadlier overall.

#72 Cyl3nc3 Kn1t3

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:48 AM

Let me sum up the Atlas here, Clan AC 2 4 shots me, and i get stuck on every twig in the game. I'd be good if I could move or shoot, but atm I just launch LRMs into the twig I'm stuck on on. Gauss rifle lol, my guass blew up my xl engine, ac 20 or any other viable weapon 10 seconds into the match, but it's cool cuz im 100 tons of rekt!!!!

#73 JunkyardJack

• PipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:08 PM

First off, never put XL in Atlas. 2nd, Torso Twisting is a skill that should be used on any 'Mech. Unless you stripped all the armor off the front of your Atlas or got shot in the back with no armor back there, you did not get killed by an AC 2 that fast. More often that not Pilots that are having trouble in a "Mech are not as aware of their surroundings as much as they would be in a chassis that they already feel comfortable in. Therefore, they don't realize they are getting shot by a number of other people. Also, if you are in an Atlas, any variant, you're going to get shot at. A lot. By everyone that sees you. That is your job. DO NOT put XLs in an Atlas. DO NOT put LRMs in an Atlas. DO NOT devote any significant tonnage to anything that you can poke with at long ranges. Get in an S variant.Throw in STD 350, AC/20 in the RT, SRM6+Artemis x4 in the LT, and MLs x2 in the CT. Lead the charge, use your size and surface area to spread damage. When you're 270m or closer, Alpha. If they were hurt, they're now dead. If they were fresh, they're now severely damaged. Your team will finish them off. This is a team based game. People that lone wolf in quickdrops in 'Mechs that are designed to be the spearhead of an assault team will always fail and pollute the forums with the phrases like "insert 'Mech name here is useless!".

#74 Kaptain

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:31 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2f6fbc725cd8b96

Multiple matches over 1000. One with 7 kills that was oh so close to that magic 8 number.

#75 JunkyardJack

• PipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:24 PM

View PostKaptain, on 25 January 2016 - 10:31 PM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2f6fbc725cd8b96

Multiple matches over 1000. One with 7 kills that was oh so close to that magic 8 number.

Damn dude, that Alpha. In my rant above I left out the part where the first time I took my newly purchased and outfitted AS7-S into battle, I had 5 kills, 5 assists and over 1000 damage. And lived. First time out ever. Sadly I can't find the screenshot, i know its around somewhere. But stories like mine and the yours are very common.

Side note, I personally am willing to sacrifice a little bit of that Alpha for a little better heat. my Alpha right now is about 82.

#76 GargoyleVine

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 81 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPismo Coast

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:32 PM

just build it as an Atlas to blow sh*t up an you be ok

put the biggest xl engine you can squeeze in there

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users