Eating My Words About Ice Ferret Nom Nom

61 replies to this topic

#21 Delas Ting Usee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 548 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:37 PM

All in all...imo...it's a crappy mech. Tier 5.
If you guys can do well with it then more power to you.

#22 Greenjulius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:01 PM

View PostDelas Ting Usee, on 04 November 2014 - 09:37 PM, said:

All in all...imo...it's a crappy mech. Tier 5.
If you guys can do well with it then more power to you.

I'm not opposed to that. I really want to love it, but the lack of tonnage hurts it so much. Speed can't make up for it; It needs some serious quirks.

#23 RavenKnight86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 205 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:26 PM

Yeah 9.5 tons of free space isn't much to work with.

#24 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,881 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:42 PM

I am throughly enjoying my Ferrets or would be if the MM would put me on a team that can win once in a while.

Variant C: 7 Losses, 1 Win
Variant A: 8 Losses, 5 Wins

Solid 33% win rate for the night so far. About the worst night I have had ever.

#25 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:51 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 04 November 2014 - 10:42 PM, said:

5:8 W/L - Prime
6:4 - A
1:0 - C

It has been rough tonight. I can't get good games. It's... The most ineffective mech I've ever run unless I run 2xERLL. The Kitfox did it better with ECM.

My KDR with the Kitfox is significantly better.

I take it back. This mech can have good games but only if you play it like a bad Raven. The only perk is has is speed, and that has it's limits. It's arm dependent, and loses the ability to fight too easily.

Edited by Greenjulius, 04 November 2014 - 11:01 PM.

#26 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,881 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:30 PM

View PostGreenjulius, on 04 November 2014 - 10:51 PM, said:

5:8 W/L - Prime
6:4 - A
1:0 - C

It has been rough tonight. I can't get good games. It's... The most ineffective mech I've ever run unless I run 2xERLL. The Kitfox did it better with ECM.

My KDR with the Kitfox is significantly better.

I take it back. This mech can have good games but only if you play it like a bad Raven. The only perk is has is speed, and that has it's limits. It's arm dependent, and loses the ability to fight too easily.

It isn't the mech, trust me. In almost every match I played tonight with my Ice Ferrets, I was in the top three performers on my team however, there just isn't much you can do when each match, your team is losing 2-3 mechs within the first 2 mins of the match and the rest just go over like dominoes.

I really cannot complain at all about the Ice Ferret especially since I think it is 10x better than a Nova, Overall, considering how badly my teams getting stomped over and over and over and over and.....well you get the idea, my damage output was pretty good. Additionally this mech really does soak amazing amounts of damage. Also the maneuverability is amazing and it climbs like a mountain goat.

#27 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:05 AM

Definitely underestimated this mech, yeah. Now the big question: Did we also underestimate the Mist Lynx?

View PostRavenKnight86, on 04 November 2014 - 10:26 PM, said:

Yeah 9.5 tons of free space isn't much to work with.

Similar problem as the Summoner and Warhawk, really. Not a lot of free space to work with, but that doesn't make them bad mechs. It just really limits the number of viable builds to a small handful. But those builds are still alright.

And as opposed to the Summoner and Warhawk, the Ice Ferret actually has Endo, so you're not wasting space on a pointless upgrade (FF). You're getting your money's worth.

#28 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:05 AM

I got 5 matches in with it yesterday before work. 2 wins, 3 losses. Nothing special there. 7 kills, 3 deaths... :blink: Well, ok, it seems the Ice Ferret and I get along so far.

#29 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:23 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 November 2014 - 08:07 PM, said:

you can run a Ghetto D, but I would prefer the arms to be synced. Though If I could slap D arms onto an A, I would probably run 4 ER Smalls and 1 LPL in the torso

You can't run LPL in the CT. I had to double check my vision @ smurfys and in game to make sure I wasn't hallucinating.

#30 Fishbulb333

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 392 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:24 AM

I'm really liking the ice ferret so far, way better than I was expecting, sure it's never gonna put out timber/dire wolf damage numbers, but it does its' job nicely.

What I like even more is the seemingly huge number of people who have jumped into one with no basic unlocks, refined loadouts or practice with the chassis, underperformed, then hopped on to the forums to declare it dead on arrival. Good stuff guys, keep it up, hopefully we can get this "tier 5" thing locked in before clan's quirk pass and it'll get some extra, arguably unnecessary buffs.

:ph34r:

#31 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:58 AM

View PostFishbulb333, on 05 November 2014 - 01:24 AM, said:

I'm really liking the ice ferret so far, way better than I was expecting, sure it's never gonna put out timber/dire wolf damage numbers, but it does its' job nicely.

What I like even more is the seemingly huge number of people who have jumped into one with no basic unlocks, refined loadouts or practice with the chassis, underperformed, then hopped on to the forums to declare it dead on arrival. Good stuff guys, keep it up, hopefully we can get this "tier 5" thing locked in before clan's quirk pass and it'll get some extra, arguably unnecessary buffs.

:ph34r:

Is it as good as a stormcrow? is it even close? if not, why would you take it?

#32 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:59 AM

It's just saddening to realize that you have less firepower than IS Lights...

It's not Tier 5, but it's nowhere close to a Tier 1. Maybe a Tier 3 mech or something.

Edited by Krivvan, 05 November 2014 - 01:59 AM.

#33 Fishbulb333

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 392 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:10 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 05 November 2014 - 01:58 AM, said:

Is it as good as a stormcrow? is it even close? if not, why would you take it?

Very different mechs & playstyles, wouldn't use a screwdriver to hammer in nail.. Not saying the ferret is definitely going to make the cut for my CW drops, but when you take IS lights out of the equation, your choices for scout/fast striker mechs become pretty limited. This, mist lynx, or settle for slower but better armed stormcrow or kitfox?

Being 40% faster is worth a lot more to me than some extra guns, if i'm trying to build a scout mech.

Also @krivvan, most of the builds im messing around with on the ice ferret today are around 40 firepower, which IS lights beat that? Just curious, I was never much of a fan of IS lights, apart from my trusty old founders jenner and the spider. (still my favourite mech).

#34 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:14 AM

View PostFishbulb333, on 05 November 2014 - 02:10 AM, said:

Very different mechs & playstyles, wouldn't use a screwdriver to hammer in nail.. Not saying the ferret is definitely going to make the cut for my CW drops, but when you take IS lights out of the equation, your choices for scout/fast striker mechs become pretty limited. This, mist lynx, or settle for slower but better armed stormcrow or kitfox?

Being 40% faster is worth a lot more to me than some extra guns, if i'm trying to build a scout mech.

Also @krivvan, most of the builds im messing around with on the ice ferret today are around 40 firepower, which IS lights beat that? Just curious, I was never much of a fan of IS lights, apart from my trusty old founders jenner and the spider. (still my favourite mech).

then use the mist lynx, its half the weight (and half the size, hopefully), has ECM and jumpjets, and is only a little slower.

Edited by Widowmaker1981, 05 November 2014 - 02:15 AM.

#35 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:21 AM

I started the post-patch matches trying the new pulse laser and evaporated several Ice Ferrets in my WarHawk (effect of new large pulse lasers is not so noticeable). I really tried running the Nice Try-et but with less pod space than my Kill Fox I just couldn't press the launch button in good conscience.

I'll go with Dontor and use it for Conquest only for now. Armed with a small laser and a pointy stick...

(or 2ML/1SL/2SSRM4(2t), BAP?)
(or 4ML/1SSRM6(1.5t), BAP?)

Anti-light sauve-qui-peut tactics only...

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 05 November 2014 - 02:28 AM.

#36 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:28 AM

View PostThe Great Unwashed, on 05 November 2014 - 02:21 AM, said:

(or 2ML/1SL/2SSRM4(2t), BAP?)

id go 3ML/2SSRM4 (1.5t), BAP or 3ML 2SRM6 (3.5t)

#37 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:38 AM

I'm doing cod maneuver with 4 er-ml+smr4, and it's pure fun.
It's not easy to hit me, at all.
It reminds me the ol'good time when I piloted shadowcat or strider in mw3 :wub:

I'm going to love this ferret!

#38 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:51 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 04 November 2014 - 10:42 PM, said:

I am throughly enjoying my Ferrets or would be if the MM would put me on a team that can win once in a while.

Variant C: 7 Losses, 1 Win
Variant A: 8 Losses, 5 Wins

I perfectly understand you. It's the effect of MM about our stormcrow, I think.
But the ferret is a good mech.

#39 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:53 AM

View PostFishbulb333, on 05 November 2014 - 02:10 AM, said:

More effective firepower. 40 firepower is including stuff like SRMs, Streaks, etc. A 30 alpha 6xML Firestarter-H is going to be able to do a lot more damage in general than an Ice Ferret would.

#40 Trevor Belmont

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:21 AM

I found the ice ferret to be very, very underwhelming. I usually play my Firestarter S, so in comparison it was slower, less hardpoints, no jump jets and less mobile.

Not impressed at all. Wish I hadn't wasted $$ on it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users