Ask The Devs 8 - Answers!

63 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:00 AM

Q: Is PGI aware that the canon laser firing mode is a burst of light over a fraction of a second as opposed to what we see in your many vids, a beam lasting up to two seconds long? [KageRyuu]
A: Yes, we are aware of this. It is done as a balancing mechanic. This was done to differentiate Laser and Ballistic weapons, as Lasers need to be held on target, yet Autocannons simply 'hit' an area. [GARTH]

Q: will LRM's fire duds at short range or otherwise be hard to use without lock-on? [SgtPaladin]
A: Yes, they already do in fact! If fired at (very) short range missiles will simply 'bounce off' whatever they hit, neither exploding nor doing damage. It looks really cool when it hits the cockpit. [GARTH]

Q: What is being done to combat issues where mechs become obsolete - for example in World of Tanks where you have rank 1 to 10 of tanks but really only ranks 8-10 are played and lower tanks are just seen as fodder. Is that a concern? [Trystane]
A: A very big concern for us was that Lighter 'Mechs would perform poorly against larger ones, and what we've done is make it so that each tier is equal to every other tier of 'Mechs - in this case, Light 'Mechs such as the Jenner pose a large risk to Atlas', and Hunchbacks are just as deadly as Catapults. You'll never run into a situation where you 'cannot damage' an opponent (other than losing all your weapons of course.) [GARTH]

Q: If a location is damaged to the point of wrecked, will heat sinks located there be destroyed as well as weapons? [Helvetica]
A: Absolutely - anything in a location (including the sides of an XL engine) can be destroyed. This is exactly why people put headsinks in their legs, for example. Where you put your ammunition, items and weapons is often as important as the weapons and items themselves. [GARTH]

Q: Will there be a ghost view or ability to watch the game through other players cockpits if you die in a match, or will you be stuck watching a blank screen until the game is over? [Rashhaverak]
A: Currently when dead you can watch through your teammates eyes, but you are limited to that. You can't, say, use a freecam. We find this is the best balance of still being involved in the match, but not allowing cheating to occur. [GARTH]

Q: Because of the Reboot, will NEW 'Mech designs be produced for MWO as it moves forward? [TimberJon]
A: I think every 'Mech fan ever has created their own 'Mech, and we'd all love to. That said, we have a lot of existing 'Mechs we can use first! [GARTH]

Q: What is the average landspeed velocity of an unladen Atlas? [Black Sunder]
A: Combine or Lyran? [GARTH]

Q: should we even bother asking questions if you guys are only gonna answer 2 of them out of hundreds each time? [Vashts1985]
A: Sure, the less people in the lottery the more likely people in it are to win ;D [GARTH]

Thanks for all your questions everyone, and I hope you got yours answered. If not, a new Ask The Devs will be up soon.
Cheers!
-The MechWarrior Online Team

#2 PerseusOne

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:02 AM

1st?? :rolleyes:

#3 Tanki

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:02 AM

No.

#4 Basilisk51

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:03 AM

Very nice can't wait to get in there. This game looks better and better

Basilisk51

#5 PirateNixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:03 AM

Seriously, first?

Nope. I'm not.

Edited by PirateNixon, 25 June 2012 - 09:04 AM.

#6 ScientificMethod

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 263 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:05 AM

So many of these answers made me so happy. Thank you Devs for making my day.

Will someone please shoot my cockpit with lrm's now? ...preferably from less than 200m...

Edited by ScientificMethod, 25 June 2012 - 09:05 AM.

#7 Chuckie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationHell if I don't change my ways

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

An Unladen Atlas.. thats pure gold :rolleyes:

#8 Atlai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:10 AM

I am now more knowledgeable, thank you Garth!

#9 NoSkillRush

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:16 AM

Thanks guys! can't wait =)

#10 Fresh Meat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 779 posts
  • LocationMannequin Republic

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:16 AM

Thanks for the observing answer, I am very happy about it.

Will we have a replay ability where we can free float?

Edited by Fresh Meat, 25 June 2012 - 09:24 AM.

#11 Brunhin Graywind

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:17 AM

Now that lasers are a two second burst, are we going to be able to have pulse lasers that have a shorter burst? Maybe only 1 second or so? Maybe with a higher heat cost

#12 Jost

• 1,172 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:24 AM

View PostBrunhin Graywind, on 25 June 2012 - 09:17 AM, said:

Now that lasers are a two second burst, are we going to be able to have pulse lasers that have a shorter burst? Maybe only 1 second or so? Maybe with a higher heat cost

Yes, there will be pulse lasers (per http://mwomercs.com/...-devs-1-answer/ )

Higher heat cost? Per TT rules, they're higher heat cost and higher weight - but we'll have to see how they handle the balancing in this game.

#13 BigJim

• 1,458 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:29 AM

[The office of Jimmage approves of the above communication]

Very nice! Glad to hear about the freecam decision, and I'm in wholehearted agreement on the laz0rs too.

Edited by BigJim, 25 June 2012 - 09:30 AM.

#14 Syddraf

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:30 AM

Q: What is the average landspeed velocity of an unladen Atlas? [Black Sunder]
A: Combine or Lyran?

that's pure win! completely made my day.

#15 Frollet

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSydney - Australia

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

watch out for thoes headsinks in the legs? thanks for the answers guys :rolleyes: i still want moar info xD

#16 Teirdome

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

Loving that you don't get freecam on death. Small changes like those help random teams when the organized ones are already going to have a huge advantage.

#17 Steven Dixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 621 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:41 AM

Personally I think that the PGIs change to lasers was a smart decision.

#18 TheHeater

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:04 AM

Brilliant.

#19 Isingdeath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

Well now that the answer to the unladen Atlas has been clarified. I have an even more important question will the Atlas carry Holy Hang Grenades and what will the count be set to if they are included. I would think that a count of 4 would be way out for game playability.

Edited by Isingdeath, 25 June 2012 - 10:07 AM.

#20 Vashts1985

• 1,115 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:36 AM

Q: should we even bother asking questions if you guys are only gonna answer 2 of them out of hundreds each time? [Vashts1985]
A: Sure, the less people in the lottery the more likely people in it are to win ;D [GARTH]

:rolleyes:

touche' salesman

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users