BattleMechs

115 replies to this topic

#1 speedy mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:10 AM

So the Ice Ferret hit the battlefield yesterday and I was very happy with it. I found the speed to be a nice refresher to the clans and man can it torso twist, I often was able to spread LOTS of damage with it. Of course the big hold back is a lack of tonnage to work with but I found a nice feel with 2 mls and 2 srm4art (2t I think).

So I ask those who actually piloted there's to add there input (if you didn't even try it then sush)

Overall I think this mech will have a niche roll but still it's fun to run in pop someone and gtfo

Just my 2 cents what's yours?

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:12 AM

Surprisingly tanky, but meh firepower. I think I'll enjoy them, but they're not going to be competitive.

#3 NextGame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:13 AM

Its extremely limited and is worse than pretty much all other mechs that perform the same role that I can think of due to its large size and lack of firepower.

#4 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:16 AM

Makes a fantastic sniper with CERPPC + 2 ERMLs. The mobility makes it something like a bigger harasser spider.

It makes a nice hit and run brawler with 2 ASRM6 + 3 ERMLs. Fly in, hammer a back or 2, fly out.

It is a light mech nightmare with 4 ERMLs + SSRM4 + CAP. Jenners REALLY hate you in this build...

All those above are maxed armor...

#5 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:17 AM

Ice Ferret, idk why, but this is the first time the IS name almost sounds better...Fenris......

Cuz Ice Ferret makes the mech sound quite and cuddly....not deadly and dangerous...

#6 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:20 AM

I think there were plenty of pilots out there that don't know how to use the speed yet. Saw plenty standing still.

First time I played against 2, had a friend with me and both of us thought we did a lot more damage than actually registered (I did 50, expected closer to 200), but that could have been many other factors. Didn't notice any issues like that after that first match.

On a side note, when are we getting the "Ice Ferret Challenge" videos going?

#7 Riverboat Sam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 209 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:26 AM

I like it. The speed is nice. I always seem to loose track of things in the heat of battle an suddenly find myself alone with four enemy mechs. In any other Clan mech my options are to die running away or suicide charge. With the IF, I actually have the speed and agility to run away for once. It also climbs hills like a mountain goat, so JJ's aren't that missed.

Yeah, it can't carry a lot of weapons but neither can a Kitfox and I like that mech too.

#8 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:31 AM

A lot of fun.

Speed and maneverability, it's very difficult to hit when properly piloted.
Radar depr. it's a must, of course.

Great support mech. I'm loving it.

These are my easy builds, so far.

4 er-ml + srm4 (short, mid range; COD maneuver vs assault/heavies; hit an run. etc)

2erLL + er-ml long range.

Er-PPC + 2 er-ml

This mech reminds me my shadowcat/strider in mw3. :wub:

#9 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:32 AM

I played around 20 matches last night with the 3 models, but mostly the Prime variant to get the basics unlocked. I've fiddled around with several different builds, but I've come to the same conclusion with all. It's easy to disarm, and needs distance.

I tried 4xERML but found it lacking in survivability and power. I switch it over to 4xMPL and found that the power increase helped, but being close with this mech lowers it's lifespan dramatically.

The most successful builds for me are probably 2xERLL and 1xLPL, 1xMPL. Add a DHS to help with cooling, or a CAP for countering ECM. It really needs distance to do enough damage with it's limited hardpoints, so perhaps an ERPPC will be a good fit. I just don't see it doing enough damage with it.

It feels like it needs buffs. I'm not sure what, but some kind of quirk to make it more competitive. Right now it's Tier 3-4. A Stormcrow is simply a better choice ton for ton.

Edited by Greenjulius, 05 November 2014 - 07:34 AM.

#10 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:36 AM

View PostGyrok, on 05 November 2014 - 07:16 AM, said:

Makes a fantastic sniper with CERPPC + 2 ERMLs. The mobility makes it something like a bigger harasser spider.

It makes a nice hit and run brawler with 2 ASRM6 + 3 ERMLs. Fly in, hammer a back or 2, fly out.

It is a light mech nightmare with 4 ERMLs + SSRM4 + CAP. Jenners REALLY hate you in this build...

All those above are maxed armor...

HEY Those are MY builds!!!!

Joking :)

With those poor hardpoints and 8/9 tons, I guess we all are piloting the same builds :)

#11 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:37 AM

View PostBront, on 05 November 2014 - 07:20 AM, said:

I think there were plenty of pilots out there that don't know how to use the speed yet. Saw plenty standing still.

First time I played against 2, had a friend with me and both of us thought we did a lot more damage than actually registered (I did 50, expected closer to 200), but that could have been many other factors. Didn't notice any issues like that after that first match.

On a side note, when are we getting the "Ice Ferret Challenge" videos going?

Speed = distance traveled.

In MWO you use speed to A. Get somewhere faster or - B. For the mobility the bigger speed provides to rock in and out of cover faster.

If you are running around the map all willy nilly and that works for you, more power to ya.

But the purpose of the ice ferret is that of a modern sniper.

Shoot, re-position, shoot, re-position, each time you pop out making sure every shot you make counts. You don't even have to be that far away. You just have to be in a superior position that allows you to shoot first and then duck back behind cover.
That...is the best way to use the IFR and any mech for that matter. Unless you are actively dodging fire, easy up on the throttle and plant your shots. You will see your damage sky rocket.

#12 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:38 AM

With just a number of more hardpoints it could've gone from being a meh mech to being a very, very solid mech.

#13 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:39 AM

It's a suboptimal mech because of the GINORMOUS engine, which eats all available tonnage.

It will soon be outclassed in all but two ways by the Dragonfly; a 40 ton mech with more than 5 hardpoints, 8 JJs and 8.5 tons for weapons. It wins on 1 extra ton and armour.

As for performance, it's above terribad, but will never be classified as good.

#14 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:41 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 05 November 2014 - 07:39 AM, said:

It's a suboptimal mech because of the GINORMOUS engine, which eats all available tonnage.

It will soon be outclassed in all but two ways by the Dragonfly; a 40 ton mech with more than 5 hardpoints, 8 JJs and 8.5 tons for weapons. It wins on 1 extra ton and armour.

As for performance, it's above terribad, but will never be classified as good.

Posted Image

Reports of how horrible this mech is, are greatly exaggerated. I don't even have any skills completed on it.

#15 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:41 AM

Builds ive seen that are great:

2 SRM6 2 ML

3 SSRM4 1 SL

3 SRM4+ART 1 SL

2 SRM4 2 MPL

And all the little ferrets that are skirmishing at the edge of the brawls. Youre doing it right. All the ones I see running around like a light...get killed pretty damned fast. Its real easy to take their weapons from them...you really gotta protect yourself. But man they can get out and back in cover faster than a kitfox and hit alot harder with those SRMs.

#16 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:42 AM

Had about 10 matches in it. Its a fun mech with extremely limited customization capacity.

I managed to deal an average of 400 to 500 damage per match with around 7-8 kills so far. The build i'm using is 1LPL+2ERML+1ErSL+cap

#17 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:43 AM

Also I expect after people elite one, its going to get alot better. With that speed, anchor turn accel and deaccel all make a huge, huge difference.

You should be able to pop out and fire and get back in cover before a medium laser is finished with its beam duration, so you should be doing that. Pop out, do your 20-30 damage, take 10, rinse wash repeat.

And you gotta use that speed to get info on mechs, find ones you can tackle, and then tackling those. You can pick your engagement. Thats its main strength.

Edited by KraftySOT, 05 November 2014 - 07:45 AM.

#18 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:45 AM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 05 November 2014 - 07:41 AM, said:

Reports of how horrible this mech is, are greatly exaggerated. I don't even have any skills completed on it.

To be fair, people have done far better games than that in Locusts. A single game screenshot isn't really too much of an indicator of how good a mech is in general.

#19 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:46 AM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 05 November 2014 - 07:41 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's a robot with not enough tonnage, oversized engine, and anemic hardpoints.

It will never be good. At least it has Ferro+Endo.

#20 Josef Nader

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:46 AM

Its real good at making a modest payload count. Reminds me a lot of a really fast Dragon, and I've been having a lot of success playing it like one.

cERPPC/cERMLas/cSRM6 makes an excellent harrier/light hunter. I kite the hell out of anything bigger, and I'm a serious threat to anything smaller thanks to my superior armor and hard hitting ERPPC/SRM6 combo.

Is it gonna be super competitive? Probably not, especially because teams will want to fill their medium slots with SCRs. Is it a blast to play? Hell yeah.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users