115 replies to this topic

#41 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:35 AM

View PostRetroActive, on 05 November 2014 - 09:24 AM, said:

A similar thing happened to my Thunderwub last night. Two of my wubs were destroyed while wubbing, then I disco'd. When I reconnected my wubs were all back at full wub.

View PostRouken, on 05 November 2014 - 08:52 AM, said:

I've had it happen before. I lost the side of my Dire Wolf and could see that those weapons were destroyed. I disconnected a minute later and rejoined. I had the missing arms worth of weapons back.

Seems reproducible. If you can DC and rejoin quickly enough that it could be an exploit lol.

#42 Tynan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 277 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:36 AM

Finally had time to play two matches this morning, and have to say, I love it. It reminds me of a Cicada in many ways, and when you pilot it similarly -- as a mid-range, flanking harasser -- it excels. And it's quite durable for the speed.

The low pod space limits builds but combined with the pulse laser changes I'm really liking this thing.

#43 Trevor Belmont

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:39 AM

I destroyed number Ice Ferrets running my Firestarter S last night, no contest. They lack the mobility and firepower to handle certain lights.

#44 Tynan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 277 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:42 AM

View PostTrevor Belmont, on 05 November 2014 - 09:39 AM, said:

I destroyed number Ice Ferrets running my Firestarter S last night, no contest. They lack the mobility and firepower to handle certain lights.

I know the build I've been running would get torn up, but some of the pods have decent missile slots....I saw one with a pair of SSRM4. I don't imagine it would replace the SHD of Kintaro in terms of light hunting, but I'm guessing it could fend them off that way.

That said, though, the number of lights is so low right now you're better off rolling the dice and banking on one or no lights on the opposing team. When was the last time anyone saw a streakboat?

#45 Josef Nader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:43 AM

View PostDONTOR, on 05 November 2014 - 09:20 AM, said:

That may be the case pre Mastery, but once mastered it is VERY agile. I'm having plenty of success in a flanker brawler role.

I was gonna say that you're gonna be outperformed in turning battles by smaller mechs thanks to their inherently tighter turn radius (which is the brawling cicadas biggest issue) but then I remembered it twists like a hunchback. You'll be able to make up for poor turn speed with great torso twist.

That said, I still feel like you're just too big to really shine in CQC (not saying its not possible, just saying that I don't see it as the mechs happy place). It just seems like its happiest as a super fast harrier/light hunter as opposed to an IS Light mech-like striker.

#46 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:44 AM

View Postspeedy mechanic, on 05 November 2014 - 07:10 AM, said:

(if you didn't even try it then sush)

With the medium % hitting 60+ last night, I ran Assaults. lol

Maybe I'll get to try them next week.

#47 Trevor Belmont

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:46 AM

Don't get me wrong. I bought the Ice Ferret preorder with high hopes. Just after a few hours of playing it, it became obvious it's a lower tier mech and will never excel at anything (as is). There's nothing a 35 ton Firestarter can't do better in most cases.

Edited by Trevor Belmont, 05 November 2014 - 09:47 AM.

#48 Tynan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 277 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:46 AM

View PostJosef Nader, on 05 November 2014 - 09:43 AM, said:

I was gonna say that you're gonna be outperformed in turning battles by smaller mechs thanks to their inherently tighter turn radius (which is the brawling cicadas biggest issue) but then I remembered it twists like a hunchback. You'll be able to make up for poor turn speed with great torso twist.

That said, I still feel like you're just too big to really shine in CQC (not saying its not possible, just saying that I don't see it as the mechs happy place). It just seems like its happiest as a super fast harrier/light hunter as opposed to an IS Light mech-like striker.

The torso twist is amazing, and I think it's going to take some getting used to--you can effectively fire at mechs while running away from them, which is not a skill most of us have had a reason to cultivate.

Other than that, I completely agree. It's basically a Cicada, with all the good and bad that comes with that (I personally love the things, but it's definitely not for everyone)

#49 speedy mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:49 AM

View PostRussianWolf, on 05 November 2014 - 09:44 AM, said:

With the medium % hitting 60+ last night, I ran Assaults. lol

Maybe I'll get to try them next week.

I know the feeling and would of ran some others as well but with all mastered clan mechs I said screw it I'll wait the time :)

#50 speedy mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:00 AM

View PostTrevor Belmont, on 05 November 2014 - 09:46 AM, said:

Don't get me wrong. I bought the Ice Ferret preorder with high hopes. Just after a few hours of playing it, it became obvious it's a lower tier mech and will never excel at anything (as is). There's nothing a 35 ton Firestarter can't do better in most cases.

A firestarter is no doubt a good solid mech but bear in mind a few things: it's the fastest CLAN mech we'll have in CW so it's got speed for then and also remember mech skills can really make a mech into its own (I'm assuming no one dropped a ton of gxp to master it just yet)

#51 Mitsuragi

Legendary Founder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 311 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationOUT OF BOUNDS

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:07 AM

View PostTrevor Belmont, on 05 November 2014 - 09:46 AM, said:

There's nothing a 35 ton Firestarter can't do better in most cases.

I think we're missing the point(s) here.

1) This provides a canon mech to Clan Wolf for community warfare. This is important because Russ clearly stated the clans could fight amongst themselves. If so, they may be restricted to canon chassis for those battles. Previously, they've clearly said they would limit mech availability to what a particular faction prefers, so in this way Wolf now has a medium mech.

2) This mech will be used in Community Warfare drop decks if the tonnage limit is set low so that people can take their Dire Wolves. It's not hard to imagine that PGI will force players to take less than max tonnage in every tier and since our choices in light are ~5 in difference there's no savings to be had there. That means you're pinching on mediums or heavies, and we all know we want our timberwolves. This is a perfect role for the Ice Ferret.

3) This is the fastest mech the clans have, to date, and is their only mech that can reasonably flank an enemy. Yes, it may take 2 or 3 of them to take down a heavy or assault depending on circumstance but the fact is that they CAN do it and do it quicker than any other clan mech. It doesn't hurt they pack more armor for their speed than most other mechs, so if you wanted them to flank and strip ECM without engaging the enemy that's doable. If they're caught they may even ESCAPE because they're more protected than usual for that weight.

4) No one would complain if this mech had ECM. You'd just call it a clan Cicada and move along. Sure, there might be a little QQ'ing here and there but let's face it: that's the comparison we're all thinking of in the back of our minds. I'd like to point out this is one of the few clan mechs that most variants have a CT weapon slot. You can even fit a ER-LL and continually harass from long range if that's your gig.

#52 Jetfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:20 AM

Dual ERLL and SRM 4 prime last night was pretty useful. Played like my X-5.

#53 Tynan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 277 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:22 AM

View PostJetfire, on 05 November 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:

Dual ERLL and SRM 4 prime last night was pretty useful. Played like my X-5.

I highly suspect anyone who managed to get good mileage out of any Cicada variant will do just fine with the IFR.

#54 Felio

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:28 AM

View PostGyrok, on 05 November 2014 - 07:16 AM, said:

Makes a fantastic sniper with CERPPC + 2 ERMLs. The mobility makes it something like a bigger harasser spider.

It makes a nice hit and run brawler with 2 ASRM6 + 3 ERMLs. Fly in, hammer a back or 2, fly out.

It is a light mech nightmare with 4 ERMLs + SSRM4 + CAP. Jenners REALLY hate you in this build...

All those above are maxed armor...

Liar, liar, pants on fire. Like, a blazing inferno.

#55 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:14 AM

It's a great trolling mech, but you have to play it like a Light to maximize its speed.

It feels like you can run it like a 3L w/o ECM... due to the low # of hardpoints. NARC+TAG seems to allow it to be more effective and as powerful (well, not quite) as one.

The ballistic arm is virtually unusable though unless you use some form of AC2 level of weapon... and then again, you wouldn't get much tonnage to do much else.

#56 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,537 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:36 AM

View Post1453 R, on 05 November 2014 - 09:03 AM, said:

The "oversized engine" thing everyone throws around for every Clan 'Mech ever is getting old. Not everything needs to go seventy klicks an hour.

The oversized engine is brought up because lighter mechs can run similar speed profiles and have more tonnage to play around with.
Running 129.6kph is best left to 35-40 tonners (35 tonners have .5 tons more with max armor, but 40 tonners have a huge breakpoint in armor, at least in TT). Only further leaving me disappointed the Ice Ferret was chosen over my Viper :(.

Edited by WM Quicksilver, 05 November 2014 - 11:40 AM.

#57 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:42 PM

View PostWM Quicksilver, on 05 November 2014 - 11:36 AM, said:

The oversized engine is brought up because lighter mechs can run similar speed profiles and have more tonnage to play around with.
Running 129.6kph is best left to 35-40 tonners (35 tonners have .5 tons more with max armor, but 40 tonners have a huge breakpoint in armor, at least in TT). Only further leaving me disappointed the Ice Ferret was chosen over my Viper :(.

Yeah, but the main issue is that if it moved anymuch slower than it does, it wouldn’t be worth running over the Stormcrow in any case. While most will see that line and say “thus proving why the Ice Ferret is a horrible ‘Mech that should never have been created”, it still means that the big ol’ engine rating is, in fact, the only reason for the Ice Ferret’s existence. And, being fair, if the blasted thing had more hardpoints than a Summoner it would be perfectly serviceable, but as it stands there’s just not enough hookups for weapons. You can make it work, but it requires more effort than would have, say, the Viper.

Believe me man, I wish we’d gotten the Viper instead as much as anyone else, but the Clans need speed, and most Clan speed in this era comes from M.A.S.C. ‘Mechs Piranha can’t or won’t introduce because none of them can figure out how to make the Fire Moth not murder HSR. Our choices are, pretty much, the Ferret or the Viper, and since we have the one but not the other, we’re going to have to deal with it.

Wishing that it was slower than the Stormcrow “so we can put a proper armament on it!” solves absolutely nothing and would just make it categorically inferior to the Crow. As it is, the Ferret does have a clearly defined if somewhat narrow niche, and once I get mine ground out and get some time in it, I imagine I’ll figure out enough fits to make it do its job. If nothing else, it can carry a pair of C-ERLL and a pair of C-ERSL and basically be my CDA-3M Hunter-Killer without ECM. Which is a configuration I should try when I get home from work today, I suppose.

Still think it’s bloody criminal that they gave us the A instead of the D…nobody with a brain in their head is going to run ballistics on a ‘Mech with 9.5t pod space…

#58 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:18 PM

Well I initially have my doubts but I can absolutely definitely say it was worth every penny I spent on it. It is everything I always wanted in a light mech hehe.

Seriously though, it has amazing speed, agility, torso twist and climbing ability, is very tanky and slightly overlarge and is a little limited on your weapons load out but amazingly it just works and works well.

Even more amazing it my Ice Ferret Prime (I) has now became my top C-bill Clan earner with 18 matches and earning an average of 203k C-bills per match. My Stromcrow (I) by comparison has managed to only hit 180k C-bills average in the 28 matches I have tracked for it.

In any case, I love my Ferrets so far and what is even more important, not many others do so I am not going to have to worry about a nerf any time soon :D

One thing I wanted to add. It is a hit and run, flanker/striker type mech. You try to go strafing through the enemy like you would in the typical Spider, Jenner, Firestarter and you will likely get put down quick just because of its size. Instead, you stick near your party, pop out, fire, then torso twist like mad while getting back into cover. Wash, rinse, repeat. Honestly have had really good luck running MPLs because they fire quickly which allows you to duck back into cover quickly.

Currently averaging 371 damage and a 2.0 K/D in mine which isn't bad at all and this is before I managed to unlock speed tweak or the rest of its Elite Skills. An extra 13 kph and 2x to all basics is just going to make things better.

Edited by Viktor Drake, 05 November 2014 - 03:32 PM.

#59 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:35 PM

View PostFelio, on 05 November 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

Liar, liar, pants on fire. Like, a blazing inferno.

How is he a liar? Those are all viable, effective builds.

#60 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,537 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:41 PM

View Post1453 R, on 05 November 2014 - 02:42 PM, said:

Wishing that it was slower than the Stormcrow “so we can put a proper armament on it!” solves absolutely nothing and would just make it categorically inferior to the Crow.

I don't know that people are asking it to be slower than a Stormcrow, but it needs to run a smaller engine to be a more efficient. 45 tonners aren't an optimal tonnage in TT, but thanks to MWO's ability to mount engines outside the ones divisible by their tonnage, the 45 tonner can be better optimized; ergo this mech would be all around better if it had a 325 XL instead. That's honestly the biggest complaint and once again showing of the issues with the omnimech restrictions as opposed to the mech itself (if you couldn't tell, I think the omnimech restrictions have caused more problems than solved).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users