3Rd Cent: Cn9-Al Or Cn9-D?

20 replies to this topic

#1 Xione87

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:15 AM

So, like many people I recieved a Centurion CN9-AH recently. I also have a CN9-A from earlier. I enjoy both these chassis and I want to buy a 3rd Centurion so I can master the lot.

But which Centurion to buy... I could use some advice there.

The CN9-AL recently got LPL, ML and missile quirks. I'm reasonable with energy boating mechs so this seems the safe choice. I'm thinking something like this: CN9-AL
Downsides: most of my weapons are in a single location, once it's gone I'm down to 2 ML on a XL engine... Plus I can't reasonably fit SRMs into this build without sacrificing the ML's or speed.

I wouldn't even consider the CN9-D normally when I already have the CN9-A, but... that 40% reduced LBX-10 cooldown is very tempting. I guess it would look more like this: CN9-D
It has a nice SRM punch, LBX for critting and MLs as backup and a high max speed as well. But to fit the SRMs I have to downgrade from artemis to reg. missiles and that just feels wrong...

So, are you guys running any similar loadouts? What can you tell me about these variants? Am I missing any great loadouts?

And I'd really love to hear from people running the CN9-D with a LBX since the quirk pass :)

#2 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:17 AM

go for the AL, just ditch the XL and protect that side as much as you possibly can, and you will do well, all pulse lasers are strong now.

#3 Summon3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:22 AM

dood cn9-D all the way semiauto shotgun is sooooo fun, pick your targets wisely and begin shredding

#4 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:27 PM

I'm grinding mine.. I was playing with the SRM/LBX/ML but still unlocking it just feels sluggish.. For now i dropped the SRM's, and added an LRM15, with radar dep. I will see how this goes, as a bit of a Mid ranged brawler 300-500.. (i have ranged modules for ML's)

I do wonder if maybe skip the LBX to, and go AC-10, and remove artimis from the SRM 4's.. Sure you do loss out on 20%, but pin point is still pretty darn strong at that point, even from range.

I also pondered doing AC-5, 2ML, LRM-20 with art, or stay at 15 with BAP

Edited by JC Daxion, 05 November 2014 - 06:26 PM.

#5 Dazzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 216 posts
  • LocationSpain next to Gibraltar

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:24 PM

remeber with a XL on the CN9-AL when you lose the Large plus arm they is a good chance you lose the torso too and thus are a dead duck.... so either reconfig to use a stanard or just live with it (which I do) . But I do love the D , I have been playing my wang with a XL for a long time , now the D is like a turbo charged vertion :o) but you do burn the ammo quick.

#6 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:03 PM

Tried this out with the new quirks, haven't had a bad match yet.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...287b269e77ab5b9

Last match of the night, on Tourmaline Desert (tied for second hottest map in the game with Caustic Valley), 3 kills (all solo kills), 2 kill assists, 9 spot assists, 6 component destructions, 490 damage, and not one overheat. And this is without the mech being Elited.

I haven't used the D, so I can't really give any recommendations, I can just say that the AL is a viable choice.

For what its worth, when I do get my D, this is what I plan on running:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...557540fa4abe6ef

A lot of ammo with a LPL for high damage with low burn time for fast hit and run attacks.

Edited by MarsAtlas, 05 November 2014 - 10:30 PM.

#7 TengilingKeras

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:29 AM

All these people talking about their wang and D's makes me feel dirty...

#8 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:04 AM

I have all the centurions and between the D and the AL i'm not sure which i like most. The speed of the D is nice but the 300 engine is just a little too big for my liking so i've dropped it down to a 255 XL added a machine gun and put in an ASRM6 and a ASRM2 and added a little more ammo and upped the armour a bit. Keeping the LB-10x as i get on really well with that weapon and it has a quirk now.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0927f98fe153f87

The AL on the other hand if your got at spreading damage on arguably the best mech in game still able to do that put an XL in the AL and two large pulse lasers in the right arm (because of quirk), two medium in ctr and and an SRM6 in the left. That works quite well. Just a note try and keep the engine rating as close to 250 as possible.

CN9-AL at present:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3504cc75ae2b974

alternative loadout with LPL:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...58f8c4db562dddc

Edited by mad kat, 06 November 2014 - 04:07 AM.

#9 NeverMoose

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:58 AM

I had tons of fun running my D-irty Pirate build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a7ba3f21a448544

Keep circling and flanking, chase the light and beat the crap out of everything with exposed components. The LB-X fire rate on this thing is insane!
Best game so far: 3 kills, 880 damage

#10 Xione87

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:27 AM

Thanks for the comments guys, I've seen a couple of nice builds here I'd like to try out. I think I might just get both of these chassis eventually, but I'll probably buy the D first. After all, I've got plenty of energy boats to keep me entertained but not a lot of LBX sporting mediums.

Although I'll wait a few weeks or so, everybody and their mum is playing mediums at the moment due to the Iceferret ;)

#11 PitchBlackYeti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:23 PM

I know this topic is almost 2 weeks old but I'll throw my 2 cent(urion)s in anyway, don't shoot me please :) So here goes: I absolutely love the AL! Being non ammo-dependent is really nice in prolonged battles whereas with the new RoF of the CN9-D 4 tons of LBX ammo is a minimum. The D while fun, gets me killed far more often because to utilize the awesome RoF I can't torso twist properly which is kinda the point on Centurions. Plus the LBX is not that good of a weapon thanks to the damage spread, I've been more succesful with twin AC/5 on the D.

My fav loadouts of the AL:
2xLPL, 2xML, 2xSRM2, XL275
or
4xML, 2xSRM4, STD275

Oh and max the leg armor, people love to shoot at Centurion's legs when it's going fast.

#12 Brienne

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationFrog heaven

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:21 AM

Got CNE YLW, love it as much as the AL, which the mech i used the most, and still now..

AL Build: 2 LPL (quirks^^) + 2ML and standard engine.
Imho, CNE are designed for standard! Future zombie on the way, so no XL.
(XL on long range build, but is CNE best mech for this kind of tactic?)

#13 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:57 AM

I rolled out in my CN9-D the other night, first time since quirks and i was beginning think i'm gonna need another ton or so of lb10x ammo. The new ROF on the shotgun is incredible!

#14 xXDivoXx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 228 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:02 AM

Why Use Centurions /....when you have Trebuchet

#15 totgeboren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 357 posts
  • LocationUmeå, Sweden

Posted 20 November 2014 - 03:35 AM

View PostxXDivoXx, on 19 November 2014 - 06:02 AM, said:

Why Use Centurions /....when you have Trebuchet

Because many of us have gotten two Cents already (the -A and the -AH), so a third makes sense.

And then some of use like the Cent for various reasons.

The -D with a shotgun is really fun, but it's a bit of a one-trick pony. It's just a matter of keeping up constant fire and thus tanking with your face.
Before the quirks I ran it with 2 SRM6+A, 2 medlas and 2 mgs with an XL360, and that was a really fun loadout too. Too bad the quirks don't buff that build at all.

My -AL uses 2 LPL in the arm, 2 medlas and 2 LRM5s in the side torso, XL275. This was my favorite loadout before the quricks, so I didn't need to change anything after the quirks. An ok mech but with the quirks it is definitely a mech you can run without feeling like you are handicapping your team. The Lrm5s on chainfire with the missile cooldown quirk lets you keep up a constant shake (really, the LRMs are there for defence, as they can make your opponent miss that vital shot) while you do pinpoint dmg with the LPL. Don't use the medlas unless you really have to. Learn to love the Wub!

#16 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:56 PM

View Posttotgeboren, on 20 November 2014 - 03:35 AM, said:

The -D with a shotgun is really fun, but it's a bit of a one-trick pony. It's just a matter of keeping up constant fire and thus tanking with your face.

View PostPitchBlackYeti, on 17 November 2014 - 11:23 PM, said:

The D, while fun, gets me killed far more often because to utilize the awesome RoF I can't torso twist properly which is kinda the point on Centurions.

I think you've explained a big part of why I keep getting seal-clubbed in my 9-D. Now, if you could explain how that's fun... :P

I have a lot of games where I get 2-digit damage scores, so I must be doing something horribly wrong with it.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f4a95652193f010

It looks like it will be quite a grind to master this mech, and I'm not sure I should bother when I've already mastered the 9-A, 9-AL, and 9-AH.

Edited by Liquid Leopard, 04 December 2014 - 03:15 PM.

#17 totgeboren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 357 posts
  • LocationUmeå, Sweden

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:12 AM

View PostLiquid Leopard, on 04 December 2014 - 02:56 PM, said:

I think you've explained a big part of why I keep getting seal-clubbed in my 9-D. Now, if you could explain how that's fun... :P

I have a lot of games where I get 2-digit damage scores, so I must be doing something horribly wrong with it.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f4a95652193f010

It looks like it will be quite a grind to master this mech, and I'm not sure I should bother when I've already mastered the 9-A, 9-AL, and 9-AH.

The only way you have of spreading damage while keeping up the shotgunning is to move really fast. I'm at work now and can't remember if I'm using an XL330 or 340, but it's something like that.
I think this is my current build
CN9-D

Just a shotgun, 2 medlas and 5 tones of ammo. I have yet to break 1000 dmg with this one, but I often break 600 dmg. The LBX cooldown module is a must.

As said, since you are facetanking you need to move fast to spread damage that way. I try to circle to the right, meaning most stuff hits my left side and thus my shield arm.

Also, if you are fast you can pick your prey. It's great at hunting lights because of the speed and fast-firing LBX, and it is good against Assaults because they are not fast enough to keep up with you (also all your pebbles will hit meaning you do lots of damage).

Duels against other mediums is doable (depending on how good they are), but you should avoid one-on-ones against enemy heavies, as they are fast enough to just core you.

If this constant face-tanking isn't your thing, this is what I used before the quirks to great effect.
Hit'n'run CN9-D

As the name implies it's a hit and run setup, flank, run in, deliver an SRM/medlas/machinegun blast, torsotwist to shield and run out. Never stop, always keep on moving (same goes for the LBX setup btw).
This one is pretty helpless at range, but with some clever use of your speed and terrain you can often close the distance. Radar Deprivation is a must though.

Edited by totgeboren, 05 December 2014 - 02:13 AM.

#18 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 08:59 AM

the CN9-AL is a completely misunderstood mech. Especially with the new LPL quirks. The AL is actually a better Yen Lo Wang. Yes, it loses out in engine rating but it makes up for it in firepower and range.

In a medium mech, you want to minimise your exposure as far as possible. The answer is FLD weapons. not DoT. Especially when the Centurion chasis has that built in shield arm.

This, is imo, how the AL should be run. FLD PPCs and SRMs as primary weapons with the range of PPCs for poking and no ammo dependence for your hardest hitting weapons. The medium laser can be swapped out for ammo but I like to keep it there to nail assists

#19 Flokoloko

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:05 PM

Hello!

I hope it is ok, if i post in this existing topic, but i have a similar question.

At the moment i own a Centurion Yen-Lo-Wang and a 9A(C) (Bought during Black Friday Sale for good price and good MC rates). But i can`t decide, which Cent i should buy next. Up to now, i was aiming for the 9D, but I`m not shure if it is worth the high price.

Actually i prefer the Yen-Lo-Wang (AC20, 2xMed Laser, Std 250), the AC20 is just more fun to me than the srm striker.

Which one should i choose, the AL, AH or D?

#20 LouisTerrin

Rookie

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:20 PM

View PostFlokoloko, on 08 December 2014 - 03:05 PM, said:

Which one should i choose, the AL, AH or D?

Since you own YLW, there isn't a huge point to getting AH. So to put it between D and AL, you have to decide if you like beamspam or shotgun spam. D builds tend to be more speed focused, while ALs tend to zombie. Both are good mechs. Take a hard look at their stats and see which style works best for you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users