33 replies to this topic

#1 Mazikar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 400 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:47 PM

This game has just done what so many of us have asked, given mechs BUFFS. Of course there were a few nerfs, but buffs were the name of the game.

PGI - stick to this way of thinking. Buff to fix before nerf. Nerfing brings working things to the level of broken things. Thank you for fixing mechs that were hard to get to work, so many of my favorite mechs just got more awesome, and that makes me very happy. (I love Hunchys and Dragons... and now I have found I also like Wolverines).

Fellow mech pilots - encourage this and offer a better fix than " I just got killed by a AC 20 Hunchback and I was in a Atlas and that's not fair, make the AC20 hurt less its cheating." Say something like; "The armor in the Atlas is a bit thin in the left torso or against ballistics, may we please have reactive armor?" You see what I am saying, rather than a muddled down game where mechs are different in looks alone we are starting to see mechs for different play styles and that is a very good thing!

This is a big step in the right direction.

#2 Kaeb Odellas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:05 PM

It's easier to nerf 1 big example of an overpowered mech than buff every other mech in response, so nerfs have their place.

Edited by Kaeb Odellas, 05 November 2014 - 08:06 PM.

#3 Turist0AT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:10 PM

+1

Im happy. Even dropped my crusade against ghost heat. Keep it up.

Edited by Turist0AT, 05 November 2014 - 08:11 PM.

#4 Mazikar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 400 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:20 PM

One thing though... even after all the awesome buffs... the Awesome is still not awesome for a assault mech, squishy very squishy almost as if the extra armor isn't there. I have always wanted the AWS-9M to be a workable PPC mech but its still not the best choice given that it takes a assault spot, I have a couple heavy mechs that do PPC better and are much more survivable.

Lets work on this. Why is the 9m so squishy? (btw I have 90% armor in the front and I still drop front armor in a fight faster than my Dragon would... scary.)

#5 mindwarp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 250 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:38 PM

The AWS suffers by being a big target mostly. Previously, it was known that the AWS was squishy and an easy kill so it got focussed. Now it gets focussed because it's easy to hit and actually a threat. Not really sure what PGI can do about that. The PPC variants also suffer from needing to face tank the enemy. I guess the only real solution is to be faster on the trigger and more accurate than the enemy. A 30pt alpha is still scary no matter what you drive and an AWS can throw out a lot of those alphas.

#6 The Boz

• 1,317 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:09 PM

OP needs to be introduced to the concept of power creep.

#7 TwentyOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 477 posts
  • LocationI pay more to use less water. Cali.

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:33 PM

View PostLotharian, on 05 November 2014 - 10:20 PM, said:

One thing though... even after all the awesome buffs... the Awesome is still not awesome for a assault mech, squishy very squishy almost as if the extra armor isn't there. I have always wanted the AWS-9M to be a workable PPC mech but its still not the best choice given that it takes a assault spot, I have a couple heavy mechs that do PPC better and are much more survivable.

Lets work on this. Why is the 9m so squishy? (btw I have 90% armor in the front and I still drop front armor in a fight faster than my Dragon would... scary.)

I am doing great in my 9M lately. I love firing 3ERPPC like a pseudo dualgauss and eating lights with it. IMO if the mech had +30 armor to all torso's that would make it very solid as a chassis.

#8 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:37 PM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 05 November 2014 - 08:05 PM, said:

It's easier to nerf 1 big example of an overpowered mech than buff every other mech in response, so nerfs have their place.

Posted Image

#9 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:41 PM

Bringing us Inner Sphere loyalists up to Clan levels of gameplay.

I still think the clans need some more attention. Even quirked up IS mechs are not as good I think, so another pass at balancing out the clan mechs (hopefully something bad happens to them when they lose a side torso, like spiking their heat to 101%, and going into a non damaging shutdown).

#10 Chrithu

• Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:41 PM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 05 November 2014 - 08:05 PM, said:

If that's so easy then why did every nerf to date hurt so many builds the nerf was not targeted at that we needed the quirk system???

Obviously it is anything but easy to just nerf a select set of mechs/variants/builds.

#11 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:42 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 05 November 2014 - 11:37 PM, said:

Posted Image

Timberwolf, based on the Catapult chassis with Marauder arms attached to it.

Remember when the Catapult head hit box was really big, and they died often to headshots? Maybe enlarge the head hitbox of the Timberwolf?

#12 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:52 PM

View PostJason Parker, on 05 November 2014 - 11:41 PM, said:

If that's so easy then why did every nerf to date hurt so many builds the nerf was not targeted at that we needed the quirk system???

Posted Image

Thank Heavens Paul is off the balance team.

Edited by El Bandito, 05 November 2014 - 11:52 PM.

#13 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:54 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 05 November 2014 - 11:37 PM, said:

Posted Image

YOu guys won't be happy until the clams are just dropping pearls on your heads.

#14 Chrithu

• Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:56 PM

View PostKain Thul, on 05 November 2014 - 11:54 PM, said:

No they just all conspire against you and want to see your favorite mechs nerfed just for the pleasure of seeing you burn in rage.

Never having piloted one I say the Timbers are fine. Doesn't take longer than any other Heavy to kill.

#15 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:57 PM

It is not about the Clams--it is just about the Cheatwolf.

#16 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:01 AM

View PostJason Parker, on 05 November 2014 - 11:41 PM, said:

Obviously it is anything but easy to just nerf a select set of mechs/variants/builds.

Easy. They nerfed them wrong.

It's not vindictive anti-Clan hatred that makes people want to see Timberwolves knocked down a peg. The Timberwolf is just better than any other heavy mech in the game, and better than most Assaults. I'd love to see buffs for all of the underperforming Clan mechs too.

#17 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:17 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 05 November 2014 - 11:57 PM, said:

It is not about the Clams--it is just about the Cheatwolf.

Show the devs on the paper doll where the bad wolf touched you

Posted Image

cheatmechs..........lol. I laugh whenever I see that **** in game too. I've seen a lot of people rage after matches about "OP clan cheatmechs" even if they lost by failing to capture points in conquest.

#18 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:27 AM

Bandito, when saysing cheatmech, tell all the other JJ-hitbox bug users out as well :

Firestarters
Spiders
and so on, we all know the drill

Basically anything with JJ´s in it seems to confuse HSR about the position of any given jumping mech´s hitboxes and it´s a very common sight on battlefields to see mechs in infights permanently tapping their JJ´s to use that .

Objectivity an such trivial things, I know it´s hard ...

Pfff ...
*shakes head*

#19 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:28 AM

View PostKain Thul, on 06 November 2014 - 12:17 AM, said:

Show the devs on the paper doll where the bad wolf touched you
cheatmechs..........lol. I laugh whenever I see that **** in game too. I've seen a lot of people rage after matches about "OP clan cheatmechs" even if they lost by failing to capture points in conquest.

Devs already know. I am willing to bet another set of nerfs is in store for the Timbie. I welcome it, since only then I will be able to buy and pilot it in good conscience.

View PostRad Hanzo, on 06 November 2014 - 12:27 AM, said:

Bandito, when saysing cheatmech, tell all the other JJ-hitbox bug users out as well :

Firestarters
Spiders
and so on, we all know the drill

Basically anything with JJ´s in it seems to confuse HSR about the position of any given jumping mech´s hitboxes and it´s a very common sight on battlefields to see mechs in infights permanently tapping their JJ´s to use that .

Objectivity an such trivial things, I know it´s hard ...

Pfff ...
*shakes head*

It is not just about the JJ cheat. The Timbie is still heads above any other mechs with its trifecta of mobility/firepower/durability. Ask those experienced pilots about which one mech they consider as closest to being OP, they will point you to the Timbie. Sure, you can keep denying it, since everyone have their own view, but I doubt PGI will let the Timbie reign for too long since it is coming out in C-Bills soon.

Edited by El Bandito, 06 November 2014 - 12:31 AM.

#20 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:32 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 06 November 2014 - 12:28 AM, said:

Devs already know. I am willing to bet another set of nerfs is in store for the Timbie. I welcome it, since only then I will be able to buy and pilot it in good conscience.

More clam nerfs are coming I'm sure. However, they can't nerf the Timberwolf by itself because it is what it is. Heavy 'mechs tend to be the best in this game and at 75 tons it is at the top of that heap and packs a 375 XL and 28t of pod space. Can't do anything about it unless they want to break far away from lore for one 'mech and one 'mech only and for what?

Because a handful of butthurt cryhards just can't stfu about it even after their beloved 'mechs get 50% cooldown's on AC 20s and a bunch of other goodies.

I guess its also time to nerf all the 35t IS light 'mechs that can go 150-170kph, mount ecm and/or JJs and still carry cool running weapon loadouts with decent alpha strikes. After all, they are the outliers in that weight class. You know, fairness and all.

The reaction to the "S" pod changes were quite sad....a bunch of rejoicing over nothing. Later on when the D or its pods become available the same builds will be back.

Edited by Kain Thul, 06 November 2014 - 12:34 AM.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users