Stock Voip, Why Not ?

General

225 replies to this topic

#201 Quaamik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:41 AM

VoIP vs Command Wheel - why are they mutually exclusive?

It would not take much code to tie 12 keys to chat. The translations would be harder, but could be done at least into the 3 - 5 most common in game languages.

As for Nickles vs Whales - I'd probably qualify somewhere in between (having spent upwards of $150 so far). I'm sure I'm not the only one in that range who plays solo and would like VoIP.

#202 Quaamik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:59 AM

I actually dropped in the group que for the first time a week ago. No comm / no tea speak.

It was fun, great group of people.

But this last weekend we constantly got our a$$ handed to us. The teams we went up against obviously had comms, and were able to coordinate targeting. We could not, no matter how fast we tried to type.

Individually we were competent, but as a group we were cannon fodder. With VoIP many teams like that would be more competitive and more would form. Without it, the choice is to either go to team speak or rarely drop as a group.

After that experience, I have zero interest in CW. That won't change unless there is in game VoIP or I invest the effort to figure out team speak and hook up to it. I have better things to do than spend 10 minutes getting ready to launch into a group drop only to die 1 minute into the game (as soon as I'm targeted) and, 5 - 7 minutes later see my team lose 2 -12.

#203 Imofexios

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:47 AM

We getting VOIP!?
Awesome! Was about time :D
But really MWO should have voip for more tactical gameplay and fun -.-

#204 MarineTech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 09 November 2014 - 11:59 AM

I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but I will echo the sentiment. Due to some of the caustic little crybabies running around in this game, I have no interest in using a general VoIP chat for solo PUG games.

If I want to team up and communicate, I'll hop into a group with my own unit and use our Teamspeak server.

#205 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:05 PM

View PostMarineTech, on 09 November 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but I will echo the sentiment. Due to some of the caustic little crybabies running around in this game, I have no interest in using a general VoIP chat for solo PUG games.

If I want to team up and communicate, I'll hop into a group with my own unit and use our Teamspeak server.

No one wants you to give up any of that. But give those who want the option the chance to use it.

It will not harm group players and in fact has nothing to do with group players but it seems they are the most resistant to something that has no impact on them.

Why is that? Makes one wonder..

#206 Psydotek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 745 posts
  • LocationClan 'Mechs? Everywhere? GOOD!

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:07 PM

I've said it before...

Just copy what Valve has done with Team Fortress 2 and Counterstrike. Easy to use AND easy to mute individual players.

#207 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 03:18 PM

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 09 November 2014 - 12:05 PM, said:

No one wants you to give up any of that. But give those who want the option the chance to use it.

It will not harm group players and in fact has nothing to do with group players but it seems they are the most resistant to something that has no impact on them.

Why is that? Makes one wonder..

Mud, look back a few posts ago-I did give one "possible" way we could be harmed, I personally feel it's a pretty serious way as well to be honest. It would come about only if PGI bungled the voip-but I can't see a way we wouldn't lose the casual chat we have now though, so whatever PGI does units will lose out slightly-and we are not talking about any "advantages" either.

Though judging by the ignorant replies I've gotten today in chat, when asking "any lrms?" I'm not sure voip will help.....

#208 CatintheHat

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:56 PM

Wouldn't the game engine MWO uses have most of the coding for VOIP? That seems to be the case with a lot of other game engines.

#209 RalphVargr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationTureded, Lanth Subsector, Spinward Marches

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:44 PM

I started my own, rented, TS server for our RPG social/group (table-top), and our online games. Ralph's Poodles now have a place to land. It was pretty easy, and cheap.

Problem is, it's by invitation only. Casual players should have the option from selecting VOIP servers from inside the game, then forming a group drop.

#210 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:13 PM

In every game that has in game VOIP the first thing I do is shut it off.

What would be more useful is quick voice commands. Even that can be abused but it isn't nearly as bad as VOIP would be.

#211 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:36 PM

We actually had a solution called C3 at one point. It was pretty good, but the problem was that it wasn't integrated into the game - aka, you had to open C3, login to C3, then form a group in the game, and it'd sort you into a room on C3.

It was supposed to eventually be fully integrated, but that never happened. I don't know if C3's still in the options.

Edit: it was actually a pretty big deal, and they had press releases about it.

http://www.businessw...Vivox%E2%80%99s

I have no idea why PGI didn't follow through with it.

Edited by Vassago Rain, 10 November 2014 - 11:38 PM.

#212 Fat Mark

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:44 PM

Nice racist quote there ...

sorry another part ofthiswebsit not workingwith my browser of choice ... the quotes system dosnt work iethe oh micrososoft hasdropped teball there ...

(The above text was typed in correctly my browser seems to hate this web site, translation below)

Oh sod it I can't be bothered, I'm going to install chrome ....

Edited by Fat Mark, 10 November 2014 - 11:48 PM.

#213 Ursh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:14 AM

View PostMarineTech, on 09 November 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

Ever consider that with the attitude you just displayed, you sound like a caustic crybaby?

#214 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:28 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 09 November 2014 - 06:44 AM, said:

Ok...work through this, man.

Would it be better for me to hit F6 and have it say "Enemy spotted" in English for you, in White-Knightese for Bishop Steiner, in Canadian for Paul AND have my icon light up on the radar OR......

Have me say "Ikkity Bikkity Bookity Bork" on VOIP? Let's face it, if you don't speak the language, it's all gibberish.

A command wheel, on the other hand, is a lot more useful. Granted, neither a command wheel or VOIP is going to magically make a group of 12 random people that are forced to put up with each other's incompetence into a team. A command wheel, however, is a lot more useful than a communications device that will force us to listen to Sandpit playing Miley Cyrus at full volume.

With all due respect - everyone navigates the game menus and mechlab, which are all in english. the forums are /mostly/ in english, and its kind of the language of gamers - plus youd be surprised how many europeans speak english (its somewhat embarrassing for us english speakers how few of us have a second language - my ex girlfriend was polish, had never been taught english at all, but yet was fluent, purely from teaching herself watching films/TV/playing online games) - and in every online game i ever played the few people that DIDNT speak english tended to group up together on their own channels on private TS/Vent...

I think language barriers would be MUCH less of an issue than you think.

Edited by Widowmaker1981, 11 November 2014 - 12:29 AM.

#215 Fat Mark

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:40 AM

with respect mean ... **** you ... always has always will.

#216 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:04 AM

Whole ton of excuses to protect farmers. " I group only and never synch into solo But I don't want to hear what I will never hear."

Sure hope your all seeing through the smokescreen.

#217 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:56 AM

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 11 November 2014 - 03:04 AM, said:

Whole ton of excuses to protect farmers. " I group only and never synch into solo But I don't want to hear what I will never hear."

Sure hope your all seeing through the smokescreen.

The inverse is equally perhaps even more so true matey. There is a lot of silly stuff from the solo guys too, in fact some silly stuff from both ends of it.
Time to ease that chip off your shoulder? It seems to be rather heavy.....

#218 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:05 AM

View Postkamiko kross, on 11 November 2014 - 10:56 AM, said:

The inverse is equally perhaps even more so true matey. There is a lot of silly stuff from the solo guys too, in fact some silly stuff from both ends of it.
Time to ease that chip off your shoulder? It seems to be rather heavy.....

I don't get how people still respond to this guy. He's got some crazy issue where a pre made touched him in a very personal place and it's never gonna change. Just put him on ignore like anyone you know exactly what they are going to say, like Heffay. Once you remove the lunatic fringe the forums don't seem so bad. ;)

#219 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:32 PM

View PostUrsh, on 11 November 2014 - 12:14 AM, said:

Ever consider that with the attitude you just displayed, you sound like a caustic crybaby?

Seriously? That's the best you can do with somebody that disagrees with you? Effectively "I know you are but what am I?"

Great argument.

Try harder Vanya.

#220 Sagamore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:01 PM

As a solo PUG player without able to commit to organized play on a regular basis, the few times I've been encouraged to group up (weekend challenges etc.) I've been very happy with communication among lance mates. It makes a huge difference:

"Help, I've got a few lights on me back in D3"
"Okay, returning to your position"

"Huge group at C3, don't peek"

"Focus Foxtrot, center is open"

These could probably be done with a command wheel but speaking is so much more natural.

At the very least, I would love to be able to communicate to my lance with VOIP and perhaps leave teamwide communication to company commanders and lance commanders to cut down the radio chatter.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users