17 replies to this topic

#1 Prussian Havoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationShenandoah, PA

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:42 PM

[Edit: enjoying this game so much, I stood up an distinct Inner Sphere account. Having already invested in "Prussian Havoc" money sufficient purchase both Clan Packs, it was decidedly cheaper to buy some MC and the Resistance pack for my new account. This Thread and my thoughts here hold true despite my Icon change.]

My Mercenary Unit continues to debate from which House to accept our initial contract. Further information on House intentions with regard to Mercenary Reception, Staging, Integration and. Onward Movement is required for us to make an informed decision as CW approaches.

While Community Warfare could devolve into a chaotic free-for-all, it doesn't necessary need to be without Joint House/Mercenary "purpose, direction and motivation." Will House Steiner (as I hope) lead the way in exploring House/Mercenary cooperation during the initial phase of CW?

Different Houses will provide their Mercenary Cohorts better, worse or no Leadership.

While House Steiner forces are the right and proper centerpiece of the Commonwealth's efforts, does House Steiner have a plan to attract and retain Mercenary Units? No, you can't offer us C-Bills, but providing a forum (a persistent forum thread in conjunction with a TeamSpeak Meet and Greet) for Joint planning in the near term, could go quite a ways toward coalescing this unique CW combat multiplier - House/Mercenary Coordination and Synergy.

Given the parity of Mercenary Mechs and certain of our pilots, it would be unfortunate for House Leadership to ignore or marginalize Mercenary Commanders in the run up to CW.

Transparency and participation in planning efforts prior to Community Warfare combat for Planetary Control Zones could prove essential to assuring coordinated House coverage of PGI's soon to be identified Combat Windows for each world in conflict.

I look forward to witnessing which House forums ignore or perhaps even malign Mercenary Units who for at least a time, will fight and win, drop and perish for a Cause not their own.

Sectors may be one and lost, Worlds set aflame in Submission or liberated to Freedom as a direct result of House efforts to gain and maintain good Mercenary relations.

Your thoughts on Mercenary Integration?

[Edit: enjoying this game so much, I stood up an distinct Inner Sphere account. Having already invested in "Prussian Havoc" money sufficient purchase both Clan Packs, it was decidedly cheaper to buy some MC and the Resistance pack for my new account. This Thread and my thoughts here hold true despite my Icon change.]

Edited by Prussian Havoc, 09 December 2014 - 10:50 AM.

#2 Moku

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:53 AM

You probably missed this post a few lines down about the Steiner Communication Hub (Run by the LCAF). There are several independent units sharing the same housesteiner.com teamspeak server. http://mwomercs.com/...-hub-is-online/

You also can work with the Skye Rangers Brigade (Skye Rangers of Terra) which is a multi-unit group and has an active chain of command. http://mwomercs.com/...gade-wants-you/

All you undecided mercenary corp units should just do what your gut tells you. Don't expect validation from other players or expect anyone to provide you with a purpose, direction, or leadership. You'll just get your butt hurt.

Fight for Steiner if you like the lore, cbills, and mechs.

Good Luck.

Moku 10SR

Edited by Moku, 11 November 2014 - 02:57 AM.

#3 Prussian Havoc

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationShenandoah, PA

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:12 AM

View PostMoku, on 11 November 2014 - 02:53 AM, said:

...Fight for Steiner if you like the lore, cbills, and mechs.

Good Luck.

Moku 10SR

Great Advice, thank you!

A fine and true Steiner reception... if my intention was to join a TeamSpeak server or fall under the command of the Skye Rangers of Terra I would be high-tailing it over there.

But those are not my intentions, Noble Moku.

Generating Dialogue, Discussion and Discourse on the Topic of House Steiner, its evolving Mercenary Cohorts and the next Phase of PGI's Community Warfare is instead my purpose in this thread.

On these same PGI Forums some Elements are just a couple days out from holding a worldwide TeamSpeak Council of War in anticipation of next months (possible) CW experience.

Now the Steiner "flavor" of preparation in anticipation of CW will be rightfully unique, I hope this thread will compel some useful comment and serve as a waypoint for those Mercenaries who like myself are in the business of evaluation Houses for potential employment.

I have no doubt House Steiner will field a first rate Commonwealth Armed Force.

I similarly have no doubt there are a number of Steiner-affiliated Mercenaries whom are Mercenary in name only because their Commanders Allegiance is to Hesperus.

But there are any number of truly Mercenary Units which will ultimately be swayed to your House's (or Marik's) service based at least in part on the level of coordination, preparation, invitations to planning TS's, pre-drop Open Merc/House Drop Nughts etc.

Let's face it PGI is not currently capable of going "All In" and providing an initial immersive Community Warfare experience. However those of us so inclined can look to wicker together a uniquely expansive CW experience...

...and if our feelings get hurt in the process (as you warn against, Noble Sir) then we'll just need to close out efforts with recalcitrant Houses and move on with those more open to an similarly expansive CW experience.

Edited by Prussian Havoc, 11 November 2014 - 06:18 AM.

#4 Arturus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSummer, Skye Federation

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:08 PM

Prussian,

Moku provided some great, spot on advice...if you want a clearing house/conglomerate of various Steiner units and related mercs, the HUB is a great place to start. The Skye Rangers (of Terra) (SRoT) is more a single Brigade, lore based single unit set in the Skye March in of Steiner space. SRoT and the and HUB have been starting to communicate again in preparation for the CW but our layout and setup are from quite different perspectives.

But as Moku said...best bet is follow your gut :)

Good hunting!

#5 Prussian Havoc

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationShenandoah, PA

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:54 PM

View PostArturus, on 11 November 2014 - 07:08 PM, said:

Prussian,

Moku provided some great, spot on advice...if you want a clearing house/conglomerate of various Steiner units and related mercs, the HUB is a great place to start. The Skye Rangers (of Terra) (SRoT) is more a single Brigade, lore based single unit set in the Skye March in of Steiner space. SRoT and the and HUB have been starting to communicate again in preparation for the CW but our layout and setup are from quite different perspectives.

But as Moku said...best bet is follow your gut :)

Good hunting!

I agree and thank you, you both have great advise.

Moku's hard work and efforts at coalescing at the LyranMerc Community is quite excellent (http://lyranmercs.enjin.com)

I also revisited my profiles on both the Lyran Commonwealth HUB and Skye Rangers of Terra. Both remain resourceful third-party sites.

However as Community Warfare Phase 2 approaches, there is now an opportunity to take these disparate, third party Centers of Lyran Influence and generate further discussion (or not...) here on MWO's forum.

While CW efforts can indeed remain dispersed across Lyran sites, I am curious what weight of Steiner planning and interest emerges here on PGI's website.

The Armored Fist of Steiner has an opportunity here. An opportunity that many Sons of the Commonwealth are already vigorously pursuing and all eagerly anticipate. These heroic efforts will eventually approximate a cogent Lyran mobilization to Community Warfare... I hope to contribute to this process and as is appropriate represent my Unit in the attendant discussions.

Coordination for combat representation and thenmonitoring all Theaters of Community Warfare (across the 48 worlds / 528 combat sectors likely to be in contention at any one time, given 2 worlds per Faction Boundary and 11 combat sectors per world) will take a uniquely significant effort... on a micro-scale my Mercenary Unit is preparing to synthesize this process in order to make informed Mercenary contract decisions.

House Unification efforts by high profile House Units are already underway elsewhere in the Inner Sphere. This evidence of coherent House emergence beyond disparate Units and sites is a primary consideration for my Unit's evaluation of prospective House employment.

Edited by Prussian Havoc, 11 November 2014 - 10:57 PM.

#6 CimaGarahau

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 147 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWesternmost Germany

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:10 PM

Trust me, Prussian Havoc, the Lyran Commonwealth is a economical might and also in political terms stable. You will get paid and you also will get paid well.

Edited by Eclair Farron, 11 November 2014 - 11:10 PM.

#7 Ltd McQuarrie

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:55 PM

View PostEclair Farron, on 11 November 2014 - 11:10 PM, said:

Trust me, Prussian Havoc, the Lyran Commonwealth is a economical might and also in political terms stable. You will get paid and you also will get paid well.

True fact here!

#8 Prussian Havoc

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationShenandoah, PA

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:56 PM

View PostEclair Farron, on 11 November 2014 - 11:10 PM, said:

No doubt... but if PGI intends (as has been discussed) to use House contracting terms as a means of shifting the Mercenary "Market" to "in-need" Houses and away from strong and stable Houses then Steiner will not have the lore-based advantage of paying Mercenary well...

...all any House truly has at its own discretion is the preparedness (or not) of its internal community and whatever structures and collaborations it has set up with Independant Mercenary Unit Commanders.

And THIS is a purpose of my OP, determining how House Steiner stands with regard to these two key contracting variables.

Edited by Prussian Havoc, 11 November 2014 - 11:58 PM.

#9 CimaGarahau

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 147 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWesternmost Germany

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:06 AM

If it's a "Battletech based" game they (PGI) should consider the fact that the LC is an economical power.

Edited by Eclair Farron, 12 November 2014 - 06:06 AM.

#10 Prussian Havoc

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationShenandoah, PA

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:05 AM

View PostEclair Farron, on 12 November 2014 - 06:06 AM, said:

If it's a "Battletech based" game they (PGI) should consider the fact that the LC is an economical power.

And THAT is in part why my initial running estimate has House Steiner as the sure bet for a lucrative initial CW contract. Unfortunately I am concerned over just how powerful and numerous House Steiner's homegrown forces have become and how this will in turn be valued by PGI.

While I hope the Steiner largess when contracting Mercenary Units carries forth from Lore... PGI's efforts to balance faction forces just may preclude Steiner being in a position to use C-bill remuneration as an advantageous contracting variable.

Hopefully just as PGI provided some early quirk pass information, PGI will begin to parse out some of CW's House and Clan nuance and distinctiveness information.

Edited by Prussian Havoc, 12 November 2014 - 01:25 PM.

#11 Prussian Havoc

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationShenandoah, PA

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:24 AM

Last night during the PGI Community Warfare Town Hall, it was clarified that each Faction will have 20-levels of Loyalty Recognition.

Loyalty Point multipliers will be applied to all contracts greater than one month. Also that Phoenix Package Loyalty boosters will permit a gamer to begin at or near level 3. Mech Patterns are not likely to be part of Loyalty Recognition, but Forum and In-game Titles will be significant marks of Loyalty Achievement.

While I will vigorously pursue all levels of Loyalty Recognition available to a Mercenary, I don't consider it particularly fair to House MechWarriors or even attractive to me to begin creeping my way up House Steiner's Rank Structure (titles.)

Perhaps at some point House Mercenaries will gain a separate distinctive Loyalty Path.

#12 William Slayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 375 posts
  • LocationSchools out at the Coventry Academy...

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:38 PM

As a member of the Skye Rangers I have to say this is going to be lots of fun when CW finally hits the stage. Prussian, I feel like you are asking (besides C-bills) what can WE as players who have chosen to plant our flag with House Steiner offer a Merc Corp? It's true that we as Lyrans will be slightly hampered by having our "purse" taken out of our hands, but I can tell you that if you enjoy making the game feel like you are being offered the "best deal" for your services, you will find the level of organization in the Steiner camp to be high. LCAF and the Skye Rangers will be taking a front seat role when CW happens, and you and your mercenary company can be a part of a section of the community that will be highly active. This will be an exciting time... be a part of that excitement by joining us under the Steiner Fist!

#13 Prussian Havoc

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationShenandoah, PA

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:41 PM

View PostWilliam Slayer, on 16 November 2014 - 11:38 PM, said:

As a member of the Skye Rangers I have to say this is going to be lots of fun when CW finally hits the stage. Prussian, I feel like you are asking (besides C-bills) what can WE as players who have chosen to plant our flag with House Steiner offer a Merc Corp? It's true that we as Lyrans will be slightly hampered by having our "purse" taken out of our hands, but I can tell you that if you enjoy making the game feel like you are being offered the "best deal" for your services, you will find the level of organization in the Steiner camp to be high. LCAF and the Skye Rangers will be taking a front seat role when CW happens, and you and your mercenary company can be a part of a section of the community that will be highly active. This will be an exciting time... be a part of that excitement by joining us under the Steiner Fist!

I am certain there will be no end of House Steiner Glory and Victory once Community Warfare kicks off. But how will this martial prowess compare to the Houses arrayed against the Steiner Gauntlet?!?

...all this will factor into a recommendation to our coterie of Mercenary Unit Commanders.

And the key variables will be those that most closely impact Unit remuneration.

The key to lucrative contracts will be to win constituent matches (just like in the Public Queue.)

A contract could be modest or even perfectly identical to all other factions' contract terms... but if the prospective Employer/House is well-managed and well-led [more than just a disparate group of even large (say 800-gamers) Units] there is a greater propensity for House victories and thus more remuneration to go around.

Let's look at it this way... I scored 31st with 2835 points in the Mercenary Corps Faction (which incidentally would have placed me 14th over all under Steiner results) of the recent Challenge. My skill-set is typical of MechWarriors from my Unit. As we contract with a given House, for each Community Warfare match we enter, we will draw away a high level Enemy Team from the vast ranks of Enemies arrayed that night against our Employer... meaning each House Team's whose ELO falls below ours will face an Enemy one rung lower in skill.

Similarly, if I do my job well and assess the most capable (best organized, best positioned for aggregate High ELO victories) Inner Sphere House... House Units with higher ELO's than ours will "thin the Enemy horde" before the match maker kicks the remaining comparable-ELO Team over to us for a match

Additionally, once the most capable House establishes itself as greatly proficient at the highest levels, Enemies will learn there are easier foes to be had elsewhere in the Inner Sphere, siphoning off at least a modest number of mid to high-level Enemy teams to try their luck elsewhere.

Thus to the extent possible, our Unit would have positioned itself to not just best support our Employer, but having chosen the most capable Employer, we would have in turn have maximized our chance of drawing a relatively low-ELO opponent. This should lead to at least a modest chance of winning more matches... hopefully achieving performance-related bonuses under specific contract clauses. ("Performance Bonuses" will likely not be in Community Warfare on 16 DEC, but such clauses do make good sense and represent a tool PGI can use to further manage the Mercenary Market and bolster poor performance by certain Houses by giving them an edge in future Mercenary contract negotiations.)

...and in the business of Mercenaries, who live in the margins, a modest advantage could go a long way when it comes to recruitment, retention and crafting third and fourth Drop Decks (tactically tailored for certain Maps and to realize specific Unit synergies) complete with needed modules.

Edited by Prussian Havoc, 19 November 2014 - 02:55 PM.

#14 William Slayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 375 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 09:36 AM

Good points and here is my argument as to why House Steiner can fill those points that you are looking for in an Employer:

-Steiner consistently ranks near the top of each challenge. (We have Consistently good warriors, not Flash in the Pan pilots)

-We field one of the largest number of Players for the Houses (Example: If we set 300 planetary challenges, another House/Clan may only be able to respond with enough players to fight 150-200 of those challenges, meaning easy wins many times)

Thoughts?

#15 Prussian Havoc

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationShenandoah, PA

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:31 AM

View PostWilliam Slayer, on 20 November 2014 - 09:36 AM, said:

...Thoughts?

Excellent points and true to House Steiner's long and storied history of fielding numerous and highly skilled MechWarriors (very lore-tastic that it has worked out this way!)

Much can be said for taking that first week's contract with House Steiner and then exerting all influence to have fellow Mercenary Unit Commanders do likewise. If successful, House Steiner will build its existent edge in combat into a numeric overmatch capable of offering combat on all fronts with little regard for losses.

A true example of "Quantity having a Quality all its own!"

With overwhelming combat advantage House Steiner would likely outfight and outlast ALL rivals, winning world after world...

...for the duration of that first contract (latest CW update changes length of contracts to 7-days, 14-days, 28-days and permanent)...

...then, having set the market in motion, when PGI looks to implement highly advantageous contract terms for House Steiner's rivals, Mercenary Commanders can look to reap resultant bonus clauses elsewhere.

Of course, at that time it can be hoped that PGI affords House Steiner some local flavor in order to retain Mercenaries loyal to the Commonwealth: pricing incentives for Steiner Factional Mechs, etc.

#16 William Slayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 375 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:04 AM

Definitely a Win/Win for both of us then at the start! :D

Of course, then in the following months, our pilots can take the lessons learned from fighting along side the best Mercenaries, and apply them.... ;)

Now, if I can just get this darn game back up and running again... (computer issues)

#17 Prussian Havoc

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationShenandoah, PA

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:26 PM

A "Win/Win" will be realized if PGI can balance out contracting such that even when fighting for a loosing cause on a particular World (and no House or Clan will have such overmatching strength that they can be Victorious EVERYWHERE) that hard fought and well managed series of defensive actions can still net a House or Mercenary Unit an excellent return on their invested time and effort.

...a good case can be made that contracts for those Units that take the most difficult Defenses or Assaults should be all the more lucrative.

#18 Prussian Havoc

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationShenandoah, PA

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:51 AM

Edit to the original post: enjoying this game so much, I stood up an distinct Inner Sphere account. Having already invested in "Prussian Havoc" money sufficient purchase both Clan Packs, it was decidedly cheaper to buy some MC and the Resistance pack for my new account. This Thread and my thoughts here hold true despite my Icon change.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users