- - - - -

New Player + Ping Issue

19 replies to this topic

#1 AgarethPT

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:53 AM

Hey everyone,

I'm a new player of MWO and new to the genre online. My past experience with Mech related destruction and mayem was Armored Core - Master of Arena, Mech Commander (which is a RTS as you guys probably know) and some Mech Tactics I no longer remember the name but enjoyed A LOT. This was all back in the PSX 1 good ol'days, over 15 years ago (15 years ago.... dang :o).

Anyway..... got here because a coworker told me about the game and I thought: What the heck.... I guess I'll give it a try.

With something like, 10 games, I'm enjoying the experience so far but one thing is bugging the heck outta me: the MASSIVE ping. I seem to always be arround 150 and 250 ms which in a game you need to shoot moving stuff that shoots back at you usually ends up in weird misses (because you're SURE you hit) and just as weird hits (because you're sure you evaded an enemy shot).

So, my main questions are: How will this affect my gaming experience? Does the game have some way to deal with this (some do)?

More about me:
I'm HIGHLY competitive :angry: (game face on :P ), I live in Portugal, I'm 40 and I hope to blast you all to smitherins ingame any time soon :lol:

If some one could get back at me on the ping issue I'd apreciate it.

#2 Chrithu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:37 AM

Well the game does something called "Hit State Rewind" (short HSR) to mitigate high latency. Simplified what it does is on the server rewind everything to the time at which you shot and then simulate things synchronized from there to see if and what you did hit.

This systems works well for pings up to 200 if they are stable. If your ping time is changing a lot (high jitter) or is above 200 you may see a lot of misses depending on the weapon. Ballistics and Pulse lasers seem less affected than Lasers and PPCs. Most noticeable it becomes when trying to hit fast moving targets (120 kph+).

I play from germany wit a ping between 115 and 140 usually and don't have any noticeable problem with hitting apart from the fast moving lights, when I use normal lasers.

My suggestion to you is to do some research and do what you can to make sure from your end that your ping is stable. With a ping varying in a range of 100ms (between 150 and 250) you are likely to see hit registration issues.

Oh and by the way:

Welcome to this fabulous community.

Edited by Jason Parker, 14 November 2014 - 03:40 AM.

#3 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:44 AM

You could try using VPN (virtual private network???) services. Those should reduce your ping by 30 odd.

I don't use that though (costs money :mellow: ) and still do ok at 200-300 ping. HSR helps somewhat. In addition, some people shoot ahead to hit targets (i forget what they call it. Don't use that either, can't figure out how far out i need to shoot with such high ping).

There might be other factors such as gpu or cpu bottling your performance, i'm not that familiar with those though.

#4 Motroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Locationmost likely gone

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:51 AM

Actually there is no global server structure. It's a shame and one of the reasons holding this game back and preventing the playerbase from growing. Especially a lot of the old folks know the latencies are ridiculous and wont let themselves being fooled with pings from 100 upwards.
Like you said, triple digit pings on real time shooters are a bad joke because they mess the game up for high pingers and low pingers alike. No amount of HSR (host-state rewind - a technique for lag compensation) or any other fancy stuff can make up for this. Pings range from 10-60 (NA/CDN) to 100-130 (EU) or 150-160 (RU) to 250-300 (AUS/NWZ) all on one server and in one game. Go figure..or just imagine CS or QA with pings ranging from 10-300 ms. Servers back in the day would have dropped highpingers anyways because they mess up the performance for ALL players.
You can play the game from Portugal for fun, I play it from Austria and am having fun. Performance and connectivity is much better at EU nights or NA primetimes when the real highpingers from Australia dont drag the performance down.
The game suffers from a lot of packetloss issues and lags but can be played for fun at nights from EU.
From a competetive point of view its not even worth to mention if your not in NA/CDN. MW:O just hasn't been released outside of NA/CDN as long as we play on their servers with 130ms ping. I guess the small playerbase doesn't allow for NA/EU/Asian servers atm because the matchmaker would have a really hard time then.
So hope for a steam release after Community warfare hits and wait for EU servers. At the moment it's nothing more than kidding around in the internetz because so much damage doesn't apply. (Don't let yourself being fooled by the red reticle flashing for damage feedback, this is only clientside. Much of this info doesn't even get to the gameserver)
I've been here since '12 and have done more than 16k drops because I love the underlying game mechanics so much and my hitreg/user input reg serverside averages at 60-70%. Worse in the afternoon with Aussies and Russians and way better at night in NA primetime. Overall it is really pathetic.

#5 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 14 November 2014 - 05:30 AM

Motroid, where do you find that % for userside vs serverside hitreg?

#6 Chrithu

• Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 November 2014 - 05:53 AM

View PostAno, on 14 November 2014 - 05:30 AM, said:

I think he' stalking about the accuracy % that is shown in your personal stats page (Profile -> Stats). That has only so much to do with hit reg. It simply shows how many of your shots did hit a target as a percentage.

And you can hardly assume that you hit 100% and thus this percentage would somehow reflect on how good hitregistration worked.

#7 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:01 AM

I'm playing from europe and I don't see any issues with my ping of 100 - 110.

As long as your ping is stable HSR should work fine. If your ping is jumping a lot, HSR will come to it's limits and have problems. Ping spikes, caused by other network traffic for example, can have the same effect.

So the less programs you have running at the same time as MWO and accessing your network bandwidth, the lower will be your problems.

#8 AgarethPT

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:06 AM

Hey..... I really apreciate all the feedback on the matter even though MOTROID... : «[color=#959595]Especially a lot of the old folks know the latencies are ridiculous and wont let themselves being fooled with pings from 100 upwards.»[/color]

OLD FOLKS?? :angry: C'mon.. I'm not THAT old... am I?? :huh:

:lol:

Regarding my connection, I have a pretty good one. I'm on fiber optics 100Mb but I do play on wi-fi. I have a really nice wi-fi adapter and I am able to, for example, play League of Legends with a steady 50 to 60 ping. That's on wi-fi....
Because I'm on wi-fi I always expect (and I'm fine with) some degree of increse in ping but nothing comprable to what I've seen so far in MWO. 250 ping in a game you have to shoot stuff moving arround on the screen can be nerve wreaking :)

Regarding DRAGNIER1's remark about hardware botlenecking my game: I am also expecting that to some degree but hardware related 'lag' usually hapens in highly concentrated areas of players and/or visual effects. I'm on an older rigg with low RAM (2Gb) but the old boy still holds his own against the bigger, badder toys out there:

C2Q Q8300
2Gb RAM DDR2 1066Ghz
Asus HD7770 2Gb GDDR5
To prevent any heat related issues with the CPU I upgraded the stock cooler a long time ago.

I know the rigg is hurting for 2 more Gb of RAM but I'll be selling it shortly to help finance the new rigg and DDR2 1066 HyperX RAM is expensive as ****

Anyway, to be honest, I still didn't witness any 'weird stuff' I can relate to high latency or anything like that. I just noticed the higher then usual ping and decided to ask you guys, that have a lot more games then I do, how bad it is.

Thanks for all the information. I'll be seeing you guys ingame :)

#9 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:12 AM

View PostAgarethPT, on 14 November 2014 - 06:06 AM, said:

C2Q Q8300
2Gb RAM DDR2 1066Ghz
Asus HD7770 2Gb GDDR5
To prevent any heat related issues with the CPU I upgraded the stock cooler a long time ago.

I know the rigg is hurting for 2 more Gb of RAM but I'll be selling it shortly to help finance the new rigg and DDR2 1066 HyperX RAM is expensive as ****

To be quite honest with you, your rig is hurting for a CPU replacement as well. Don't bother with the 2 GB of DDR2 RAM. Save a little more and get yourself a new CPU, Mainboard, RAM and probably power supply.

The C2Q Q8300 is showing it's age with MWO. It will provide you playable FPS but this game is heavily bound by the CPU and with a faster, more modern one you would probably have notable gains in performance.

#10 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:28 AM

welcome, if you havent , go to the download page claim then activate the free day of premium time that stacks with your cadet bonus.

#11 AgarethPT

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:30 AM

View PostEgomane, on 14 November 2014 - 06:12 AM, said:

To be quite honest with you, your rig is hurting for a CPU replacement as well. Don't bother with the 2 GB of DDR2 RAM. Save a little more and get yourself a new CPU, Mainboard, RAM and probably power supply.

The C2Q Q8300 is showing it's age with MWO. It will provide you playable FPS but this game is heavily bound by the CPU and with a faster, more modern one you would probably have notable gains in performance.

I agree with you, 100% :) . Like I said on my previous post, I'll be selling this rigg shortly to help finance the new one.
No point in keeping older riggs arround. A lot of people will have use for this , used, less expensive computer and I'll make good use of a better one too. Recycling ftw :)

Since you brought up the subject, what would be more important for MWO? Raw preformance per core (intel) or more cores (AMD)?

Edited by AgarethPT, 14 November 2014 - 06:31 AM.

#12 Sandtiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 262 posts
  • LocationVernal Utah

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:35 AM

View PostEgomane, on 14 November 2014 - 06:12 AM, said:

Ego,
I'm glad I caught you on this topic. I have a slick gaming rig that I use. I myself have high ping issues. I have a dedicated 12mb upload & download speed. Any suggestions how I could lower mine? *crosses fingers* Any help would be greatly appreciated. =]

Bloomfield 12 core liquid cooled processor
64 GB Ram 1833
Dual Nvidia 780 GTX Titan Graphics Cards
Asus Rampage Extreme Republic of Gamers Motherboard
3 terabyte solid state drives

Hey..... I really apreciate all the feedback on the matter even though MOTROID... : «[color=#959595]Especially a lot of the old folks know the latencies are ridiculous and wont let themselves being fooled with pings from 100 upwards.»[/color]

OLD FOLKS?? :angry: C'mon.. I'm not THAT old... am I?? :huh:

:lol:

Regarding my connection, I have a pretty good one. I'm on fiber optics 100Mb but I do play on wi-fi. I have a really nice wi-fi adapter and I am able to, for example, play League of Legends with a steady 50 to 60 ping. That's on wi-fi....
Because I'm on wi-fi I always expect (and I'm fine with) some degree of increse in ping but nothing comprable to what I've seen so far in MWO. 250 ping in a game you have to shoot stuff moving arround on the screen can be nerve wreaking :)

Regarding DRAGNIER1's remark about hardware botlenecking my game: I am also expecting that to some degree but hardware related 'lag' usually hapens in highly concentrated areas of players and/or visual effects. I'm on an older rigg with low RAM (2Gb) but the old boy still holds his own against the bigger, badder toys out there:

C2Q Q8300
2Gb RAM DDR2 1066Ghz
Asus HD7770 2Gb GDDR5

Anyway, to be honest, I still didn't witness any 'weird stuff' I can relate to high latency or anything like that. I just noticed the higher then usual ping and decided to ask you guys, that have a lot more games then I do, how bad it is.

Thanks for all the information. I'll be seeing you guys ingame :)

Welcome to the game my friend! Look me up if you ever need a battle buddy ~Grins.

#13 AgarethPT

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:35 AM

View PostSandtiger, on 14 November 2014 - 06:32 AM, said:

Ego,
I'm glad I caught you on this topic. I have a slick gaming rig that I use. I myself have high ping issues. I have a dedicated 12mb upload & download speed. Any suggestions how I could lower mine? *crosses fingers* Any help would be greatly appreciated. =]

64 GB Ram 1833

:blink:

Can I please ride your Veyron with you?? :P

#14 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:10 AM

View PostAgarethPT, on 14 November 2014 - 06:30 AM, said:

Since you brought up the subject, what would be more important for MWO? Raw preformance per core (intel) or more cores (AMD)?

Right now MWO prefers Intel CPUs, preferable an i5 for it's four cores. AMD CPUs need a considerable overclock to compare to Intel for this game.

View PostSandtiger, on 14 November 2014 - 06:35 AM, said:

Ego,

64 GB Ram 1833

WOW, sounds like a beast to me.

Your connection bandwidth has nothing to do with your ping. Your hardware isn't responsible either (at least not to an amount that would be really noticable).

A ping is the time a specific package needs to be send to the server and until the server response comes back to you. This can be influenced by many factors.
Most common are routing (a problem mostly lying with your service provider and the ones who own the routers inbetween you and your target) and package loss (could be caused for various own reasons).

To see if you have routing problem you can run a command prompt and insert:
tracert mwomercs.com
You will recieve a result page like this
C:\>tracert mwomercs.com

Routenverfolgung zu mwomercs.com [192.99.109.192] über maximal 30 Abschnitte:

1	<1 ms	<1 ms	<1 ms  fritz.box [192.168.178.1]
  2	 6 ms	 5 ms	 5 ms  217.0.119.235
  3	 9 ms	 9 ms	 6 ms  87.186.235.182
  4	11 ms	11 ms	11 ms  217.239.40.234
  5	 *		*	   12 ms  fra-1-6k.de.eu [94.23.122.153]
  6	15 ms	14 ms	15 ms  sbg-g2-a9.fr.eu [91.121.128.82]
  7	15 ms	14 ms	14 ms  37.187.36.155
  8	 *		*		*	 Zeit&#252;berschreitung der Anforderung.
  9   106 ms   105 ms   105 ms  mwomercs.com [192.99.109.192]

Ablaufverfolgung beendet.

To see if you lose packages along the way you can run the following command:
ping mwomercs.com -t

This will give you a continous ping on the MWO servers until you end it with a press on ctrl+c. It will look like this (let it run for while between 30 seconds to a minute):
C:\>ping mwomercs.com -t

Ping wird ausgef&#252;hrt f&#252;r mwomercs.com [192.99.109.192] mit 32 Bytes Daten:
Antwort von 192.99.109.192: Bytes=32 Zeit=106ms TTL=56
Antwort von 192.99.109.192: Bytes=32 Zeit=105ms TTL=56

Ping-Statistik f&#252;r 192.99.109.192:
	Pakete: Gesendet = 12, Empfangen = 12, Verloren = 0
	(0% Verlust),
Ca. Zeitangaben in Millisek.:
	Minimum = 105ms, Maximum = 107ms, Mittelwert = 105ms
STRG-C
^C
C:\>

If you end up with lost packages something can be wrong along the whole line. It can be on your end, it can be routers inbetween and it can be at the recievers end. In that case, all you can do is run diagnostics on your network card and, if you have one, private router and, if that comes up empty, ask your provider to do the same with the line.

The only ways to lower ones ping are:
- disabling of all other network accessing programs (sometimes it's some software or driver coming with the network card, I often hear something like this for the drivers of Killer network cards)
- moving physically closer to the target

There is no trick to quicken the speed a package travels through the internet. Phyiscal distance takes time and every hop over another router as well. You can force it on another route, that might be shorter then the one it is normaly using, which essentially is a variation of moving closer, by using a VPN connection to an exit point near the servers. Most of those cost money and there is no guarantee that they will actually improve your performance.

Edited by Egomane, 14 November 2014 - 07:11 AM.

#15 Vlad Striker

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:37 AM

Ping 200--250 ms is not a problem, you can perfom well. Tactics rules.

#16 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,677 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:02 PM

For the record, the devs have said that if the target reticle flashes red, it is a confirmed hit by the server. It is not clientside. Now how much damage it registers (in the case of a laser beam, or two shots fired at once) is debateable.

#17 Motroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Locationmost likely gone

Posted 14 November 2014 - 05:00 PM

View PostAno, on 14 November 2014 - 05:30 AM, said:

Sorry but I cant track the info down to the point where it gets too laggy since I am no IT expert, although I know it can be done easily by tracing the signal.
My rig is fine: CPU: i7-4790 @ 3,6 Ghz; 16GB RAM - GPU: GeForce GTX 770
IT connection from my side also because I am lucky to live next to the university which is attached to the backbone: A stable dedicated 16Mb up and download. So everything is fine on my part.
Nevertheless is the overall connectivity and online performance very poor at times in MW:O.
Only dedicated NA, EU and Asia servers can put an end to this since it is just elemental physics. Latencies from 10-300ms in one game will ALWAYS cause problems on gameservers.

#18 Sandtiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 262 posts
  • LocationVernal Utah

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:18 PM

View PostAgarethPT, on 14 November 2014 - 06:35 AM, said:

:blink:

Can I please ride your Veyron with you?? :P

All Aboard! I did treat myself. Every four to five years I buy a new rig with the latest and greatest. This was last years model. I love tax returns~Grins

View PostEgomane, on 14 November 2014 - 07:10 AM, said:

Right now MWO prefers Intel CPUs, preferable an i5 for it's four cores. AMD CPUs need a considerable overclock to compare to Intel for this game.

WOW, sounds like a beast to me.

Your connection bandwidth has nothing to do with your ping. Your hardware isn't responsible either (at least not to an amount that would be really noticable).

A ping is the time a specific package needs to be send to the server and until the server response comes back to you. This can be influenced by many factors.
Most common are routing (a problem mostly lying with your service provider and the ones who own the routers inbetween you and your target) and package loss (could be caused for various own reasons).

To see if you have routing problem you can run a command prompt and insert:
tracert mwomercs.com
You will recieve a result page like this
C:\>tracert mwomercs.com

Routenverfolgung zu mwomercs.com [192.99.109.192] &#252;ber maximal 30 Abschnitte:

1	<1 ms	<1 ms	<1 ms  fritz.box [192.168.178.1]
  2	 6 ms	 5 ms	 5 ms  217.0.119.235
  3	 9 ms	 9 ms	 6 ms  87.186.235.182
  4	11 ms	11 ms	11 ms  217.239.40.234
  5	 *		*	   12 ms  fra-1-6k.de.eu [94.23.122.153]
  6	15 ms	14 ms	15 ms  sbg-g2-a9.fr.eu [91.121.128.82]
  7	15 ms	14 ms	14 ms  37.187.36.155
  8	 *		*		*	 Zeit&#252;berschreitung der Anforderung.
  9   106 ms   105 ms   105 ms  mwomercs.com [192.99.109.192]

Ablaufverfolgung beendet.

To see if you lose packages along the way you can run the following command:
ping mwomercs.com -t

This will give you a continous ping on the MWO servers until you end it with a press on ctrl+c. It will look like this (let it run for while between 30 seconds to a minute):
C:\>ping mwomercs.com -t

Ping wird ausgef&#252;hrt f&#252;r mwomercs.com [192.99.109.192] mit 32 Bytes Daten:

Ping-Statistik f&#252;r 192.99.109.192:
	Pakete: Gesendet = 12, Empfangen = 12, Verloren = 0
	(0% Verlust),
Ca. Zeitangaben in Millisek.:
	Minimum = 105ms, Maximum = 107ms, Mittelwert = 105ms
STRG-C
^C
C:\>

If you end up with lost packages something can be wrong along the whole line. It can be on your end, it can be routers inbetween and it can be at the recievers end. In that case, all you can do is run diagnostics on your network card and, if you have one, private router and, if that comes up empty, ask your provider to do the same with the line.

The only ways to lower ones ping are:
- disabling of all other network accessing programs (sometimes it's some software or driver coming with the network card, I often hear something like this for the drivers of Killer network cards)
- moving physically closer to the target

There is no trick to quicken the speed a package travels through the internet. Phyiscal distance takes time and every hop over another router as well. You can force it on another route, that might be shorter then the one it is normaly using, which essentially is a variation of moving closer, by using a VPN connection to an exit point near the servers. Most of those cost money and there is no guarantee that they will actually improve your performance.

Sweet! I appreciate the help. I will check and see if this helps. Thank you soooo much! Woot!

View PostVlad Striker, on 14 November 2014 - 08:37 AM, said:

Ping 200--250 ms is not a problem, you can perfom well. Tactics rules.

Vlad, even with high ping I still get anywhere from two to six kills per match. You are correct my friend. Tactics Rule!

Edited by Sandtiger, 03 December 2014 - 07:17 PM.

#19 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:37 PM

One other thing to note about routes - if your provider changes their route structure or you have recently changed providers, flush your old DNS tables. Computers store DNS tables for faster routing out the gate, but this can sometimes be a hindrance if old DNS info is being used. Not sure about Windows 8 (.1) but for all previous NT based WIndows operating systems, go to a command prompt and type:

ipconfig /flushdns

Also, if using Windows 7, try this site:

http://www.speedguide.net/

Definitely download and use the TCP Optimizer. This should be one of the first things you should do with a new PC. Lot's of other great tools on this site for helping to diagnose and fix latency issues.

Oh, and Ego - it's packet not package. Just sayin'.

#20 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:01 PM

I used to play over wifi and would often desynch, sometimes for just a few seconds, sometimes long enough that I would be disconnected, when someone suggested that WIFI could be my issue I got some powerline Ethernet addaptors and suddenly my connection became far more stable, however with my approximate 110 ping I still have games where I feel that half my shots (usualy with lasers) not doing as much damage as they should.

also as you know the 2gb ram is a problem

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users