Psa: Before You Blame Your Teammates...

65 replies to this topic

#1 Errinovar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:56 AM

Seriously, at least make sure you performed well before you start ranting about your teammates in chat. If you only managed ~100 damage or less or were on the bottom of the team standings, you really have no business blaming your teammates for a loss. You are part of the problem at that point, lashing out at your team won't change that. And heaven forbid someone on your team is having a bad night or learning to pilot a new mech (or using a new loadout) etc.. because it happens to all of us. And you should avoid dropping your merc/clan name as some kind of credibility particularly if you performed poorly, because at that point not only do you look like a hypocrite, but it reflects very poorly on your merc/clan, too.

For those of you who rage, I think the best thing you can do for yourself is to take a step back and focus on your own performance. If you can honestly claim that you played flawlessly and made a big contribution to the team, then complain all you want. It won't help, but at least you won't look like a tool when you do it.

#2 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:58 AM

View PostErrinovar, on 19 November 2014 - 06:56 AM, said:

Seriously, at least make sure you performed well before you start ranting about your teammates in chat. If you only managed ~100 damage or less or were on the bottom of the team standings, you really have no business blaming your teammates for a loss. You are part of the problem at that point, lashing out at your team won't change that. And heaven forbid someone on your team is having a bad night or learning to pilot a new mech (or using a new loadout) etc.. because it happens to all of us. And you should avoid dropping your merc/clan name as some kind of credibility particularly if you performed poorly, because at that point not only do you look like a hypocrite, but it reflects very poorly on your merc/clan, too.

For those of you who rage, I think the best thing you can do for yourself is to take a step back and focus on your own performance. If you can honestly claim that you played flawlessly and made a big contribution to the team, then complain all you want. It won't help, but at least you won't look like a tool when you do it.

The folks making big contributions are generally to busy to rant. ^_^

#3 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:02 AM

i type to them,
so youre the cry in cryengine?

#4 GonaDie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationThe biggest party you have ever seen

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:02 AM

Yeah! I F...in hate those goons who say something like "ZOMG n00b team L2P T_T" before the battle is even over!

#5 LoneDragon

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • 32 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:08 AM

http://www.outofthef...apegoating.html

#6 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:10 AM

I usually just type, "we lose" and either spectate if we stand a chance of winning or quit if we are screwed entirely.....

#7 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:18 AM

I can't tell you how many times someone dies early starts ranting about how bad the team is and then, we end up winning. I love it when that happens.

I usually reply with 2 words at the end of the match, "You're welcome".

#8 AlmightyAeng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:20 AM

My favorites are when the guy who did 97 damage ******* and moans about how BAD his team is on ALL chat...and when I tell him to "Shut it, dead guy" he starts calling me a noob and raving about how bad I am.

Then we win...and I've done 6-9 times more damage than he did. And there's blessed silence.

Edit: I mean, I get it. Sometimes you're in a light, or even some mediums, and your side torso gets tagged by a huge alpha and you're out having done barely any damage.

But every time I see something 55 tons or bigger with less than 150 damage? Timberwolves? Direwolves? It makes me want to cry, and it DEFINITELY makes me reach for a bottle.

Edited by Ghost Badger, 19 November 2014 - 07:21 AM.

#9 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:22 AM

My general response when someone goes, "s*** team, " is to reply with, "u were on it."

#10 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:38 AM

I often tell the whiner to be quite, "I died before you, and I'm trying to watch us win this match!" B)

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 19 November 2014 - 07:39 AM.

#11 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:41 AM

I usually don't get upset if I'm out early, I have (finally) hit that level of situational awareness, that if I am off on my own without support it was intentional. I find it hard to spectate sometimes, but I but just remand myself just because we are all in the same Elo bracket, doesn't mean all mechs and pilots are equal, and some people drove down easy street to get here.

#12 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:50 AM

If I see somebody ranting like that early on in the match, I generally reply with "Oh yes (insert name here). Because YOU did just so much to help." 9 out of 10 times, you find out at the end of the match they did very little to help out.

#13 _Ares_

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:58 AM

I agree on that, but i do rant sometimes, specialy if i do 600+ DMG and all the others do sub 200 and 100. Happens a quite frequently :( .

#14 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:04 AM

View PostEscef, on 19 November 2014 - 07:22 AM, said:

My general response when someone goes, "s*** team, " is to reply with, "u were on it."

And usually, thats my biggest regret.....

#15 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,476 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:07 AM

Remember kids: The more you blame the team, the bigger your penis is!

#16 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:14 AM

While pugging, I've gotten used to half the team failing to get 200 damage. Grand majority of the matches are like that, for both teams.

I consider that doing very badly. I've also been grinding the Mist Lynx out for a couple dozen matches. I've been doing very badly in that PoS.

You can call the team out for being bad, even if you do badly yourself. Bad is Bad.

#17 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:17 AM

Well ... OP, how many games in MW:O ?
1000 ? 1500 ?

Play over 5k games and trust me, you WILL see pretty horrible things that call themselves human as well as "I R gut ply0r!" .

Honestly said, the amount of tactical apt people in this game is pretty lackluster, especially if you see that many (if not most) don´t even use TS .
So the amount of people opening/using a map or interpreting the signs on their minimaps correct is dismayingly low .
Pretty often I´m in the sad spot of last man standing vesus how many my team and I couldn´t eradicate and taking a look at the scoreboard afterward makes me doubt humanity in it´s entirety and wishing for the power to snuff it out albeit it makes for fun challenges sometimes (so we even were able to salvage something positive from this, horray ?!? ) .

Blame on !

#18 Mott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 887 posts
  • Location[MW] Ransom's Corsairs

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:18 AM

I do my best to offer encouragement, or shout out helpful warnings, etc.

But once in a while - usually with teams that cower under LRM rain without finding cover, breaking lock or charging until well after we're already losing 4-0 - the rage builds up in me and i just have to *****.

Once in a while the cowardly Assault or Timby pilot who is hiding behind his team, firing his med lasers at 700m+ distant enemies, or his lrm5s into a mountainside, while his team does their best and dies without 75-100 tons of prime mech meat gets an earful as well.

Sometimes terrible players just break me. There is no reason my 45-55 ton mechs should be regularly out-killing and out-damaging the OP heavies and Assaults - but I do, and it gets to be very frustrating.

#19 Sethliopod

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 217 posts
  • LocationInside the smoking wreck.

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:19 AM

As the vast majority of people I see verbally going postal, are among the top scorers on the team, I would call BS on the OP. But it seems you're giving the better players a pass.

That doesn't sit well with me, but I'm an idiot.
I still think better skill should go hand in hand with maturity and sportsmanship--I know, an idiot, right?

Edited by Sethliopod, 19 November 2014 - 08:21 AM.

#20 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:23 AM

Quid pro quo..

If you all rotate away from your assaults and let them die then they have every right to rant at you because your incompetence and inability to adjust tactics really did get them killed. Its on YOUR head.

Same goes if you blow someones leg or weapon arm off or TK (all happened to me in the last tournament) it really is your responsibility and yes you really are incompetent. Have the grace to at least apologise before being challenged. You do its nbd, you don't ... you deserve the response.

In other comebacks, if the person rants about their their last X teams being ****/noobs etc: "Amazingly you're the one commonality on them".

View PostMott, on 19 November 2014 - 08:18 AM, said:

I do my best to offer encouragement, or shout out helpful warnings, etc.

But once in a while - usually with teams that cower under LRM rain without finding cover, breaking lock or charging until well after we're already losing 4-0 - the rage builds up in me and i just have to *****.

Once in a while the cowardly Assault or Timby pilot who is hiding behind his team, firing his med lasers at 700m+ distant enemies, or his lrm5s into a mountainside, while his team does their best and dies without 75-100 tons of prime mech meat gets an earful as well.

Sometimes terrible players just break me. There is no reason my 45-55 ton mechs should be regularly out-killing and out-damaging the OP heavies and Assaults - but I do, and it gets to be very frustrating.

Ummh if you're in a WVR-6K, SCR, HBK-4G or any of the other currently OP mechs you really should be hammering stuff. Being a 45-55 ton mech really isn't an excuse in itself.

In general I think any aggressive team wins currently 9/10 if they move in a coordinated deathball.

Edited by Remarius, 19 November 2014 - 08:24 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users