Should Modules Be Cheaper But Fixed To The Mech?

79 replies to this topic

#1 Gauvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:49 AM

Should modules be cheaper but fixed to the mech after they are installed? This idea was floated during the 11/13 Town Hall meeting. Two methods of removal were briefly mentioned. One, modules are destroyed when removed. Two, modules survive removal but doing so costs MC. Note that they are not mutually exclusive.

I really, really, like this idea (if both removal options are available). I don’t believe most modules give a benefit equal to their current cost, and with a large number of mechs in the hangar playing the “hunt the module” game is anti-fun. I would definitely invest more in modules under this system than I do now, and feel they provide a more fair value.

#2 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:50 AM

10 c-bills. Dat my top dorror!

#3 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:52 AM

I like the idea about making them cheaper and fixed to the mech as long as you can still pay the Full price for a "non fixed" version.

If you make them only fixed all it will do is make people stay with the same mechs. Right now when i buy a new IS mech i already have to buy dhs and endo right away.

#4 Viges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:56 AM

No, not really, just cheaper :D

#5 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:01 AM

They would probably set the prices so that over time you'd actually have to pay more because of outfitting so many mechs. Module juggling is tedious, but at least they're yours forever once you buy them once.

#6 Kirkland Langue

• Bad Company
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:02 AM

I think that I hate the idea simply because the idea reminds me how much I hate PGI.

Sure, the idea "sounds" good - but what's likely to happen is that they add in the fixed ones for 50% of the cost.. and once people start liking the idea they yank the replaceable ones - then it becomes another pay-wall: using MC to remove those Modules.

#7 Shadow Magnet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 429 posts
  • LocationLake Constance, Germany

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:04 AM

Before they do something like this, PGI should add a "utility module" category and slot and put those modules like Improved Gyroscope, Hill Climbing and the other movement modules into that.

And MC to remove modules: absolute no-no!

Edited by Shadow Magnet, 18 November 2014 - 09:05 AM.

#8 Jacob Side

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 390 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:04 AM

No. I don't like the fixed idea at all. What if I want to change out my large laser out for some mediums but I'm stuck with a large laser cooldown 5 ?
Just a bad idea.

Modules are supposed to be top tier stuff they should cost it.

Edited by Jacob Side, 18 November 2014 - 09:05 AM.

#9 Dulahan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 361 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:06 AM

They should just flat out be 'cheaper' - not fixed to a mech at all. They're already the hardest, most grind intensive thing to get in the game through GXP. Adding a cost that is more than a MECH is ridiculous.

They're already so powerful they're considered necessary for competive play. Seismic? Radar Dep? Yeah, the latter especially is a HUGE investment of time just to get.

While the Range and Cooldown modules have reached the point of being genuinely useful and game changing - especially combined with Quirks!

#10 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:17 AM

Does it matter really how its done? I have to have 3 chassis to get a Master slot. With some modules expensive (6 mill.) I buy (for some mechs) just one, then transfer them as needed. If they were a 3rd cheaper, I would only buy 2 more and then be done (with that set).

So Buy and Transfer (CW will cause issues here), or Buy and Mount permanently but destroy upon removal - boo on this one (or MC remove and swap - booo also btw)

If I need modules, C-bills will be needed in any case (MC for modules is already needed if you don't play a boatload to get the GXP required to finalize.

#11 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:26 AM

I don't like this idea at all, unless they are REALLY cheap. Like 100,000 cbills or less.

My favorite idea so far has been to make them expensive (cbills and GXP) to unlock them. Once they are unlocked, you can buy them for a relatively low price to actually equip on a mech. Basically the initial investment is like RnD for your techs to come up with it, then it is relatively easy to add it to a mech.

I honestly wouldn't even mind if there were just a way to find them among all your mechs.

#12 KamikazeRat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 711 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:28 AM

i like the concept, but fear how it would actually be implemented....

i'd like to see it closer to Artiemis/endo/ff/dhs....cbills to put on, cbills to take off. refund for all the modules floating around, and bam. there ya go.

EDIT: also this wouldnt be bad.

View PostDarwins Dog, on 18 November 2014 - 09:26 AM, said:

I don't like this idea at all, unless they are REALLY cheap. Like 100,000 cbills or less.

My favorite idea so far has been to make them expensive (cbills and GXP) to unlock them. Once they are unlocked, you can buy them for a relatively low price to actually equip on a mech. Basically the initial investment is like RnD for your techs to come up with it, then it is relatively easy to add it to a mech.

I honestly wouldn't even mind if there were just a way to find them among all your mechs.

Edited by KamikazeRat, 18 November 2014 - 09:29 AM.

#13 Mirkk Defwode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 748 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:36 AM

View PostKamikazeRat, on 18 November 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

i like the concept, but fear how it would actually be implemented....

i'd like to see it closer to Artiemis/endo/ff/dhs....cbills to put on, cbills to take off. refund for all the modules floating around, and bam. there ya go.

EDIT: also this wouldnt be bad.

I'd prefer if they costed a lot less, then were destroyed if removed. No MC paywall. It'd be like the other upgrades. Though I'm not a fan of modules to begin with.

#14 Joe Mallad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:40 AM

I do not want them permafixed to the mechs. I could go for a slight drop in price but it would not hurt me if they were kept as is in price. What I really think needs to go is having to first unlock them with GXP even before we can spend C-Bills to buy them. Keep the high C-bills but get rid of the GXP unlock.

#15 VanillaG

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,115 posts
  • LocationIn my parent's basement

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:44 AM

View PostMirkk Defwode, on 18 November 2014 - 09:36 AM, said:

I'd prefer if they costed a lot less, then were destroyed if removed. No MC paywall. It'd be like the other upgrades. Though I'm not a fan of modules to begin with.

The MC for removal is if you did not want to destroy them when you removed them. So you could remove them which would destroy the module OR pay some MC so when you removed the module it would be added to your inventory instead of being destroyed.

#16 Catalinasgrace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 256 posts
  • LocationHudson, TX

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:46 AM

What is wrong with they way they are now??? Leave them be...

Are they a bit pricey? Yep, but they are not over the top crazy pricey by any means... I say leave them alone, just my opinion...

#17 Mirkk Defwode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 748 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:48 AM

View PostVanillaG, on 18 November 2014 - 09:44 AM, said:

The MC for removal is if you did not want to destroy them when you removed them. So you could remove them which would destroy the module OR pay some MC so when you removed the module it would be added to your inventory instead of being destroyed.

Yeah, I saw that. but for those concerned modules will end up behind a paywall, I'd say make it so it always burns them and MC isn't a consideration.

But bring the costs more inline with other customization options between the range of heavy weaponry and getting Endo or DHS.

#18 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:48 AM

modules are fine how they are

we just need a faster way to find modules and swap them onto different mechs

and obviously a refund for all bought modules once thats implemented. since you would no longer need duplicates of modules its only fair to refund players who bought duplicates.

module selection should be on the very top level of the UI... not buried inside the mechlab.

the module selection screen should also show you where all your modules/consumables are located and should allow you to quickly remove modules/consumables from any mech you own and swap them to a different mech.

Edited by Khobai, 18 November 2014 - 09:52 AM.

#19 Joe Mallad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:51 AM

I still say get rid of the GXP unlock. I don't have an issue saving and spending 6,000 C-Bills per module. But first having to get 15,000 GXP to unlock them before I can even buy them... Is a bit much IMO.

#20 Risko Vinsheen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 573 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:52 AM

Price reduction as they are now > Just keep them how they are > Fixed to the mech in any fashion.

They just need a small reduction in price. I don't own a single weapon module except the ones that came with my Clan pack for AMS and NARC because of how utterly expensive they are. They're weapon specific and yet cost more than some of the other generic modules. Even if just the weapon modules got a small price reduction I'd be happy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users