Too Many Lrms?

432 replies to this topic

Poll: Too many LRM boats? (502 member(s) have cast votes)

Are there too many LRMs present in typical games?

1. Yes (183 votes [36.45%])

Percentage of vote: 36.45%

2. No (242 votes [48.21%])

Percentage of vote: 48.21%

3. Yes, but only during challenges. (77 votes [15.34%])

Percentage of vote: 15.34%

Which way do you consider best to handle LRM over-usage?

1. Nerf LRMs (decrease speed/damage, or increase heat) (55 votes [6.29%])

Percentage of vote: 6.29%

2. Usage dependent on line-of-sight (130 votes [14.86%])

Percentage of vote: 14.86%

3. AMS rewards (to attract more players to use it) (256 votes [29.26%])

Percentage of vote: 29.26%

4. Reduce BAP range (harder to counter ECM) (81 votes [9.26%])

Percentage of vote: 9.26%

5. Improve AMS (group damage, lower hp per missile, etc.) (131 votes [14.97%])

Percentage of vote: 14.97%

6. Adjust LRM flight trajectory (147 votes [16.80%])

Percentage of vote: 16.80%

7. Increase minimum range (17 votes [1.94%])

Percentage of vote: 1.94%

8. Further active countermeasures (PPC hit lock disruption, new modules/equipment besides ECM) (58 votes [6.63%])

Percentage of vote: 6.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#421 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:58 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 07 December 2014 - 10:56 AM, said:

Sorry... My expectation is that MM is assembling people in groups with not too dissimilar Elo's. So, when I see people not playing up to what should be their theoretical 'average level of play', it is upsetting.

Like when watching your kid 'half ass' doing anything. "You know you can do better, stop screwing around!" Is the typical refrain I heard as a kid when I was slacking, and I hear from many parents when 'challenging' their kids to better, even today.

And when I continued to slack off, and when parents see the same in their kids today, the 'terseness' from parents, coaches, and teammates would rise.

Maybe my brain IS wired wrong, I just don't get the attitude that would accept losses under those kinds of circumstances.

Now, I understand that when EVERYONE on the team is trying their hardest and you still lose, there shouldn't be any 'hard feelings'. I get that, I accept that, I'm good with that.

However, RARELY do I lose a match without seeing 2 or more people NOT playing incredibly bad, or obviously screwing around... I can't understand an attitude that would accept losing under those circumstances as being 'ok'...

Dude, seriously?

Pizza Day is Friday, has been for the last 50 years...

Cut that **** out...

My Son's school has Pizza Tuesdays... Lunch ain't what it used to be buddy!

#422 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:59 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 07 December 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

My Son's school has Pizza Tuesdays... Lunch ain't what it used to be buddy!
Woah...

Your kid goes to school at the CIA?!?!

Talk about government education...

#423 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:02 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 07 December 2014 - 10:59 AM, said:

Woah...

Your kid goes to school at the CIA?!?!

Talk about government education...

LOL You have no idea what my legacy is capable of Sir! B)

#424 Slow and Decrepit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 525 posts
  • LocationBelen, the Mosquito Capital of NM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:26 AM

I have switched over to playing LRM boats due to the horrible hit reg. Right now LRMS are the only thing that don't seem to be affected by it. People are going to use whatever works for them. Pug matches seem to go to the side that has more LRM boats. I really wish that the very poor hit reg would get fixed, because I really hate the LRM fest. Firestarters are very hard to kill right now. You can nail them with just about anything except missiles, and they just go about killing anything in their sight. I think once the hit reg gets fixed, you will see a drop in the current LRM fest...

#425 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 12:45 PM

@beleneagle Guass rifles have perfect hit registration, ontop of being the most powerful weapon in the game.

I hit a firestarter with dual guass its gone... or has lost a arm if i screw up my shot.

#426 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:22 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 07 December 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:

LOL You have no idea what my legacy is capable of Sir! B)
Obviously I need to get a thicker tin foil hat...

#427 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:25 PM

View Postzortesh, on 07 December 2014 - 12:45 PM, said:

@beleneagle Guass rifles have perfect hit registration, ontop of being the most powerful weapon in the game.

I hit a firestarter with dual guass its gone... or has lost a arm if i screw up my shot.
This made me laugh...

If hit registration were perfect, I'd be done with the Guillotine Achievement already.

The fact that anyone can say ANY weapon in this game has 'perfect' ANYTHING is just funny.

I doubt you meant to be as 'extreme' as your words indicate...

#428 Amethyst Blade

• PipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:46 PM

Getting the Kit Fox C arm with it's ECM and Triple AMS is a great anti-LRM boost. I love that 'Mech and have equipped all my Kit Foxes with it. Standing beside a Dire Wolf with AMS, we were showered in LRMs and barely got hurt. Our direct fire responce was brutal however.

And I play an Awesome missile boat. ECM and AMS are a pain but I do enough damage.

I think LRMs and PPCs are in good state.

Mark Charke

#429 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:48 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 07 December 2014 - 03:25 PM, said:

This made me laugh...

If hit registration were perfect, I'd be done with the Guillotine Achievement already.

The fact that anyone can say ANY weapon in this game has 'perfect' ANYTHING is just funny.

I doubt you meant to be as 'extreme' as your words indicate...

well as close to perfect as any weapon... .asin hits almost never fail to do damage... lasers often do no damage atall... along with other weapons.

I mean occasionaly, like once a month ill fire a guass rifle into an open component and it wont fly off....

With lasers on a daily basis ill alpha into a open cherry red ct and do nothing.

#430 Slow and Decrepit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 525 posts
  • LocationBelen, the Mosquito Capital of NM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 05:05 PM

Yes I've noticed that as well. I'm running it on a few of my builds. I wish it didn't have the stupid charge mechanic that it does. If anything the PPC's should have it because it takes time for the capacitors to charge...

#431 ZippySpeedMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 356 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Dropship Earth

Posted 07 December 2014 - 05:17 PM

No LRM spamming is/ was excessive....

The only reason we see a decrease currently is due to the current pulse laser meta builds, or the "Age of WUB" as I like to call it...

Once the pulse lasers get reigned in (especially the current pure small pulse builds), you see people drift back to the LRM's...

#432 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 05:27 PM

View PostZippySpeedMonkey, on 07 December 2014 - 05:17 PM, said:

No LRM spamming is/ was excessive....

The only reason we see a decrease currently is due to the current pulse laser meta builds, or the "Age of WUB" as I like to call it...

Once the pulse lasers get reigned in (especially the current pure small pulse builds), you see people drift back to the LRM's...

Nah its the hellbringers a few games with 4 ecm mechs non the enemy team and lrms suddenly feel more useless then a flamer.

View Postbeleneagle, on 07 December 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

Yes I've noticed that as well. I'm running it on a few of my builds. I wish it didn't have the stupid charge mechanic that it does. If anything the PPC's should have it because it takes time for the capacitors to charge...

Is op with charge mechanic.. without it... way way way op.

Edited by zortesh, 07 December 2014 - 05:29 PM.

#433 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 07 December 2014 - 05:35 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 06 December 2014 - 10:40 AM, said:

No.. Close support is not a relative term. SRMs are for close support LRMs are for when you want to reach out and touch someone. Its why they have a 1000 meter MAX range now. So you DON'T HAVE to be 300 away to use em.

You are trying to impose your style on a weapon system. Don't It's not your place to dictate how Weapons are supposed to be used unless you design them. However it is right in the name of Long Range Missiles, as to what their use is.

OK Joseph, this is absolutely ridiculous. You're not looking at the weapon. You're looking at the name. Your entire conclusion is basically "It says long in the title, so I shouldn't use it close."

Seriously!

LRMs are utterly worthless at their border range. You can just waltz out, outside of 1,000. Furthermore you can't TAG to tighten the group, crack ECM, or maintain the lock from there.

As a result, the optimum range for the things is between about 400m and 750m. You want to try to keep some distance from close range weapons (hence you want to be well above your minimum range), but you really, really want to be close enough that the target will not be able to just hop behind the closest hill and ignore everything you just fired.

If anything, their true strength is being indirect; even when you have LOS, since your shots can sail right over allies in big mobs.

PS: Amusingly (and likely unintentionally) this isn't too terribly far off from BattleTech. Just like all weapons there, they get harder to aim the further you are away, with the absolute optimum LRM shot being 7 hexes - inside SRM range. So this is nothing new.

PPS: In BattleTech the LRM is outranged by a dozen guns too. The "long" in the name means very, verry little.

Edited by Victor Morson, 07 December 2014 - 05:40 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users