177 replies to this topic

#1 Virlutris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:52 PM

In-Client MC Mech Bundles include 3 mechs, the mech bays to hold them, 30 days premium time, and some include a vanity item for your cockpit.

These packs cost real money, unless you stockpile a lot of MC through free-to-play events. Otherwise, you have to purchase them directly through the Store or purchase MC with real money in order to purchase the bundles within the game client. (see link to Raggedyman's thread below)

These Mech Bundles are listed in the game client under the store tab. Click "Bundles." It's sortable Anglo-Alphabetically, or by price.

***** Disclaimer: Play some trial mechs before purchasing a bundle, ask experienced players (check these forums, log in to a public Discord or TeamSpeak server and ask in real time, etc), and generally figure out what kinds of stuff you enjoy playing with BEFORE purchasing bundles. No need to regret an impulse purchase when you can test drive some mechs and get input to be relatively well-informed at the start. *****

A few useful sites for deciding what to buy and how to customize the build:

Smurfy's MWO Reference (browser-based mechlab tool)
Web-Based Quirk Tables at Snafets (includes Omnipod quirk mix-n-match tool)
MetaMechs.com (optimized builds)
MechSpecs.com (anything goes, no builds barred)
NoGutsNoGalaxy.net Battletech and Mechwarrior Fan Community (look for MWO Mech Builds subforum, down the page)

Organization notes
Spoiler

Notes about chassis and variants, including Champions (C) and Heroes (H):
Spoiler

Performance Packs, including how they variants included relate to Champion, Hero, and other Special-bonus 'mechs from cash-only pre-order Packs:
Spoiler

On MC costs and Real money Costs:
Spoiler

I'm definitely open to feedback, and will update the OP with additions.

Please feel free to post your reviews of the In-Client MC Mech Bundles downthread.

Concerning OmniMechs:
Spoiler

On Updates and Reviews:
Spoiler

Edit History:
Spoiler

Without further ado, the packs follow with the MC cost breakdowns under the spoilers, and the Gift Store detail page linked in the header with its cash cost:

Locust (Light, 20 tons): MC 3,185 ($13 US in Gift Store)
Spoiler

Commando (Light, 25 tons): MC 3,810 ($15 US in Gift Store)
Spoiler

Spider (Light, 30 tons): MC 4,325 ($17 US in Gift Store)
Spoiler

Firestarter (Light, 35 tons): MC 4,350 ($17 US in Gift Store)
Spoiler

Jenner (Light, 35 tons): MC 4,715 ($19 US in Gift Store)
Spoiler

Raven (Light, 35 tons): MC 5,362 ($21 US in Gift Store)
Spoiler

Cicada (Medium, 40 tons): MC 5,795 ($23 US in Gift Store)
Spoiler

Blackjack (Medium, 45 tons): MC 5,035 ($20 US in Gift Store)
Spoiler

Vindicator (Medium, 45 tons): MC 4,990 ($26 US in Gift Store)
Spoiler

Centurion (Medium, 50 tons): MC 6,500 ($26 US in Gift Store)
Spoiler

Hunchback (Medium, 50 tons): MC 5,575 ($22 US in Gift Store)
Spoiler

Trebuchet(Medium, 50 tons): ($30 US in Gift Store)
Spoiler

Griffin (Medium, 55 tons): MC 6,010 ($28 US in Gift Store)
Spoiler

Kintaro (Medium, 55tons): MC 5,820 ($23 US in Gift Store)
Spoiler

Shadow Hawk (Medium, 55 tons): MC 5,750 ($23 US in Gift Store)
Spoiler

Wolverine (Medium, 55 tons): MC 5,747 ($23 US in Gift Store)
Spoiler

Dragon (Heavy, 60 tons): MC 6,550 ($26 US in Gift Store)
Spoiler

Quickdraw (Heavy, 60 tons): MC 6,415 ($26 US in Gift Store)
Spoiler

Catapult (Heavy, 65 tons): MC 6,970 ($28 US in Gift Store)
Spoiler

Jagermech (Heavy, 65 tons): MC 6,925 ($28 US in Gift Store)
Spoiler

Thunderbolt (Heavy, 65 tons): MC 6,610 ($26 US in Gift Store)
Spoiler

Cataphract (Heavy, 70 tons): MC 8,220 ($33 US in Gift Store)
Spoiler

Orion (Heavy, 75 tons): MC 7,470 ($30 US in Gift Store)
Spoiler

Awesome (Assault, 80 tons): MC 9,285 ($37 US in Gift Store)
Spoiler

Victor (Assault, 80 tons): MC 8,045 ($32 US in Gift Store)
Spoiler

Battlemaster (Assault, 85 tons): MC 8,705 ($35 US in Gift Store)
Spoiler

Stalker (Assault, 85 tons): MC 8,785 ($35 US in Gift Store)
Spoiler

Highlander (Assault, 90 tons): MC 9,320 ($37 US in Gift Store)
Spoiler

Banshee (Assault, 95 tons): MC 9,185 ($37 US in Gift Store)
Spoiler

Atlas (Assault, 100 tons): MC 10,265 ($41 US in Gift Store)
Spoiler

Chassis that could have a Mastery Pack, but don't. Yet.
Spoiler

What the remaining chassis need to have all the required components for a Mastery Pack.
Spoiler

Edited by Virlutris, 06 March 2019 - 07:10 PM.

#2 Sonny Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 445 posts
  • LocationThe Motion Lounge

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:15 PM

Bought the Catapult pack and been satisfied with it. If you're a newbe like me that premium time really helps.

#3 Ayrmoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 541 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:25 PM

Nice job ;-)

#4 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:14 PM

Very nice work. I was thinking about writing a review of each pack, but quirks were coming. Now it's about time to think about again, I think...

#5 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:43 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 27 November 2014 - 07:14 PM, said:

Very nice work. I was thinking about writing a review of each pack, but quirks were coming. Now it's about time to think about again, I think...

A review for each pack would be a big help for folks. That's a great idea.

#6 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:55 PM

RVN-3L(C) being added today... That, Huginn and one of the others would make a nice (though costly due to RVN-3L(C) being 2937MC) new Mastery Bundle.

#7 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 775 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:39 PM

Thank You!

If You could put also MC price for each single mech (e.g. puling from Smurfy which pulls from the game, so we could see actual price e.g. when on sales) to see cost/benefit for each Mastery pack..., With a MC note for mechbays and premium time .. I love things complicated!

But appreciate Your effort very much!

#8 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 775 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:43 PM

Reasons for this request is something like, if I own some mechs I buy Mastery pack on sale and sell duplicate mechs for C-Bills.. and got empty mechbays and premium time and wanted hero/champ..

Edited by ExoForce, 28 November 2014 - 01:44 PM.

#9 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:47 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 28 November 2014 - 12:55 PM, said:

RVN-3L(C) being added today... That, Huginn and one of the others would make a nice (though costly due to RVN-3L(C) being 2937MC) new Mastery Bundle.

Probably:
RVN-2X
RVN-3L(C)
RVN-H

Definitely a workable combo for mastery!

And OP, very good work you have done there!

#10 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:10 PM

View PostExoForce, on 28 November 2014 - 01:39 PM, said:

Thank You!

If You could put also MC price for each single mech (e.g. puling from Smurfy which pulls from the game, so we could see actual price e.g. when on sales) to see cost/benefit for each Mastery pack..., With a MC note for mechbays and premium time .. I love things complicated!

But appreciate Your effort very much!

I was seriously thinking about doing that, but figured I'd ask folks later tonight if they wanted it. It makes a lot of sense to do so. I'll add it to the next big overhaul. I went ahead and added them.

Also, thanks for the heads-up on the patch notes, Terciel1976. I've added an entry for "Chassis that could have a pack, but don't. Yet." If it's got a champion, an hero, and at least one other variant, it's there until a Mastery Pack comes out for it.

I also added "Maybe Pricing" for the not-yet chassis. I used the most and least expensive remaining variants, added it all up and divided by half to arrive at 2 possible "Maybe Pack" prices. It's rough, but not recklessly so.

Edit: punctuation, additions

Edited by Virlutris, 28 November 2014 - 07:44 PM.

#11 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:39 PM

OP is now updated to reflect:

New RVN and SHD packs, fixes for pricing errors, and a new 3rd variant note

Moving the BNC out of the "What the remaining chassis need..." list, into the list for "Chassis that could have a Mastery Pack, but don't. Yet." Included "Maybe Pricing" for the two currently possible packs.

Enjoy! And feel free to post a review of any of the packs in this thread :)

#12 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:22 PM

March (2015) Roadmap says the GRF-1S(C) will arrive int he March 3 patch.

Updating OP with placeholders tonight, for the "Could-But-Don't-Yet" list.

Will update when MC price on the new champ is available. GRF-1S(C) listed in client store at MC 2,245. OP updated.

Edit 3/3: Added Griffin Champ price

Edited by Virlutris, 03 March 2015 - 06:43 PM.

#13 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:14 AM

Added Resistance Pack 'mechs under the spoiler button for "What the remaining chassis need ..."

#14 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 12:53 PM

I really feel that the Hunchback mastery pack should include at least one AC20 variant. That is after all the purpose of the hunch, and while the Grid Iron has the gauss, the AC20 and gauss play quite differently.

Anybody else think this would be a good improvement?

#15 Anassi

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:53 PM

A review you want? A review you get.

Mastery Pack: Stalker

Included 'Mechs:
  • STK-M "Misery" Hero Mech
  • STK-3F(C) Champion Mech
  • STK-5M
Additional goodies:
  • Stalker cockpit statue
  • 30 days of premium time
  • 3 Mech Bays
Price: 8785 MC (approximately $40)

If you are looking to spend money on the game, the Stalker Mastery Bundle is one of the best places to spend it. You get three battle mechs, each of which is very good at what they do.
  • The STK-M "Misery" is widely regarded as one of the best, if not THE best hero mech in the game. It's unique feature is a ballistic hardpoint in the left side torso, making it the only Stalker capable of carrying a large ballistic. Most players chose to pick either a Gauss or an AC20. That in combination with the Stalker-typical high mounted energy hardpoints and a zombie laser make the Misery an absolutely freaking scary thing. It technically has one missile hardpoint in the right torso but that rarely if ever gets used.
  • The STK-3F is probably the most well-rounded of the bunch. It's quirks are nothing to write home about (the laser duration is nice though) but it is the Stalker with the best torso twist range. This makes it excel at pretty much anything you want - ranged sniping with ERLL or PPC, brawling with SRM6+ML, LRM-rain. Whatever you want, the STK-3F is good at it.
  • The STK-5M is the best missile mech among the Stalker chassis, simply due to the fact that it has five hardpoints. None of them carry particularly large tubes (2x10, 3x 6) but LRM buzzsawing still works very well. The mech has quirks for SRM6 and generic missile quirks, making it the best SRM brawler as well as a very good LRM boat. It can work as a laser boat too but other Stalkers (-3F, -4N, -5S) are better at it and it would be a waste of perfectly good missile quirks. It is also one of only two Stalkers (Misery being the other) with a zombie energy hardpoint.
Now, one caveat to the Mastery Bundle: The current best Stalker, the -4N, is not included and has to be bought seperately. The -4N has extremely good Large Laser quirks, making this thing probably the single best IS laser boat and an absolute beast at medium range fights. It's well worth the additional C-Bill investment and with the Mastery Bundle you already have enough Mechs to master it.

Still, the Stalker Mastery Bundle gives you great bang for your buck. It includes three very good mechs, including the best Hero in the game and is an excellent choice for investing MC.

I'll do a review on the Hunchback too some time soon.

Edited by Anassi, 21 March 2015 - 04:53 PM.

#16 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:55 PM

View Postgrendeldog, on 21 March 2015 - 12:53 PM, said:

I really feel that the Hunchback mastery pack should include at least one AC20 variant. That is after all the purpose of the hunch, and while the Grid Iron has the gauss, the AC20 and Gauss play quite differently.

Anybody else think this would be a good improvement?

Thanks for chiming in, I appreciate it!

TL;DR first: In my humble opinion, it's an improvement if it would sell more packs, because bringing in revenue is what these are designed to do. Would you buy one if it included a 4G instead of a 4SP? I'd personally consider it more with that change.

Longer-winded answer:

I got to thinking about this, and here's what I've got: I don't know, it depends.

I dunno if it'd be an improvement, not being a Hunchie owner. Depends in part on whether the -4G would definitvely outdo the 4SP in some important and valuable way, such that it became significantly more popular than any other Hunchie.

If I recall correctly, PGI built the Hunchie pack before the quirks made the AC20-toting, iconic HBK-4G super-extra-verymuch fun. I'd have to leave it for a long-time Hunchie owner or Founder to speak to the 4SP's popularity, but as I hear it that was a pretty popular go-to variant for a ong time pre-quirks for the way it's hardpoints and geometry played. Probably plays even better with quirks.

Value comes from a lot of things. Lore's the thing for some, fun troll builds are the thing that takes some of the pain out of grinidng for others (*cough* AC20 RVN-4X *cough*), and in-game performance return on the MC investment is the thing for others. When it comes to cash, people make decisions based on what's important to them personally.

As far as I can tell, these pack builds are a pure numbers game on PGI's end. After the hero and champion, they grab the next most played/owned variant at the time they build the pack.

Does the AC20 Hunchie belong in the list of most iconic variants for the chassis? Yes! The 4P Swayback probably belongs right next to it. However, Mastery Packs aren't designed around the lore. It's probably best that we remember that Mastery Packs are a numbers game, as in $$.

They ain't sellin' lore here, unless it accidentally lines up with the the popularity numbers that drive the Third Wheel variant for the pack. Ownership/Playtime numbers don't distinguish why a 'mech is popular, just that it is. Popluarity is what wins when it means more MC sales. ;)

I've yet to see PGI update a pack with a new Third Wheel, but I guess it might be possible that they'd consider it if folks march on their offices and demand a popularity re-count. Could the 4G win that third spot today? Dunno, PGI would have to answer that definitively enough to warrant the change, and then they'd actually have to make the decision to update the pack.

View PostAnassi, on 21 March 2015 - 01:53 PM, said:

A review you want? A review you get.

Mastery Pack: Stalker
Review
I'll do a review on the Hunchback too some time soon.

Solid :)

Forum cookies for you both, thanks!

#17 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 06:16 PM

View PostVirlutris, on 21 March 2015 - 05:55 PM, said:

Thanks for chiming in, I appreciate it!

TL;DR first: In my humble opinion, it's an improvement if it would sell more packs, because bringing in revenue is what these are designed to do. Would you buy one if it included a 4G instead of a 4SP? I'd personally consider it more with that change.

I actually bought the Hunch pack already, but I would have much preferred there was at least one AC variant. I did indeed check which variants were included in the pack before I bought it, so it's not like I bought it expecting dakka and got none; i was just pretty well shocked when I did check the variants included and saw the lack of AC.

While there is the Grid Iron for a variant with ballistics, well... gauss is nice and everything, but it doesn't play at all like an AC. And I guess my whole understanding of the Hunch - from a lore standpoint, sure, but mostly from seeing what variants people play - is that the entire purpose of the mech is to shoehorn a stupidly big cannon into a medium chassis.

Now, as to which it would replace, I don't know. I really disike the Grid Iron, but that's just cause I suck at playing it - the speed is soooo slooow, meaning that long-range sniping is difficult because sniping often means relocating to avoid incoming fire. The SP seems cool, but I havent played it as much as the P; while the SP is more brawl oriented than the P variant, Hunchbacks just don't seem to be survivable at the ranges where I can use SRM effectively.

The SP is just as slow as the Grid - 60 something kph - but since it is meant for closer range semi-brawling with the SRMs, that slowness isn't such a cardinal sin as it is for a sniper. The thing is also that the Hunchback is a primary target with a conspicuous profile and people shoot the right torso like mad, so low speeds can mean getting the right torso destroyed, negating the entire purpose of the Grid Iron. The SP at least has another SRM if the right torso goes down.

Out of the three, the P is my favorite by far because it goes 87 kph and has a ton of lasers, but while I enjoy it I really need to figure out a build that puts two LL or better yet ERLL in the top slots of the right torso, enabling engagement at range while also increasing firepower at medium laser ranges as well. Considering that the Hunch-P has those arm MLas as well, I would gladly drop a few of the 9 ML for the ability to hit a bit further, because when moving in so I can use the mediums I often take a few hits and it would be nice to be able to return fire to at least try to get them suppressed and taking cover.

Anyway I severely digress; I would definitely have bought the mastery pack sooner if it had an AC variant in it for sure. And I would bet others would do the same, so PGI might be able to make those extra dollars... or not, perhaps I'm wrong about that. Who knows, I can only speak for myself.

Cheers!

#18 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:28 PM

Normally mech owners would modify their mechs based off builds they create using smurfy. The usuall being DHS and Endo-steel. The extra weight gained is used to upgrade armour points, add weapons or change to a bigger engine for more speed.

Bigger engine not only affects speed, it affects twist speed as well. (just in case you don't already know)

#19 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:43 PM

View Postgrendeldog, on 21 March 2015 - 06:16 PM, said:

Now, as to which it would replace, I don't know. I really disike the Grid Iron, but that's just cause I suck at playing it - the speed is soooo slooow, meaning that long-range sniping is difficult because sniping often means relocating to avoid incoming fire. The SP seems cool, but I havent played it as much as the P; while the SP is more brawl oriented than the P variant, Hunchbacks just don't seem to be survivable at the ranges where I can use SRM effectively.

Cheers!

It's worth pointing out that there's not really an option of which to replace. These packs/bundles must come with the hero and champion. The Grid Iron and 4P are there for the duration. So the question really boils down to 4SP vs. the 4G or 4H. Looks like you'd make that trade. :)

Edit: clarity

Edited by Virlutris, 21 March 2015 - 11:16 PM.

#20 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:48 PM

Mastery packs are a great! If you want to spend some money on this game and get a great return on it buy a Mastery Pack!

Edited by k05h3lk1n, 21 March 2015 - 07:48 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users