177 replies to this topic

#161 Virlutris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:13 PM

Updates Include:

- Added Sun Spider
- Cleaned up Invasion/Origins/Resistance Hero release date info
- Tweaked some explantory text

#162 Alternate Aubergine

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:24 PM

Why must the Awesome pack be so expensive :( :( :(

#163 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:13 AM

View PostAlternate Aubergine, on 07 January 2018 - 10:24 PM, said:

Why must the Awesome pack be so expensive :( :( :(

Sadly, because the forum vote picked a mech for the Champion variant that comes with an XL stock. When the price adjusts, it's a flat 25% more than the stock version, regardless of changes to the loadout.

It's the single biggest issue in pricing these things.

Voila! Too-expensive mech bundle! Now in Cataphract and Awesome varieties because we have champagne taste and a beer budget!

:(

#164 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:24 PM

Added Flea to "Champion We Need ..." listing

Edited by Virlutris, 09 March 2018 - 09:30 PM.

#165 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:12 PM

Added Hellfire to the "what they need" listing.

OP needs a rebuild. Most of this information remains useful, but I think the state of games and mech bundles is diferent today than it was when I started this.

No rush though. The world won't end if I don't get around to doing more than updating the lists ;)

#166 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:28 AM

New Champions, special-ninja-delivery for the new Solaris divisions:

OSR-1V - MC 2660 - D6
ASN-101 - MC 1720 - D5
UZL-3P - MC 3840 - D7
BSW-S2 - MC 2995 - D4
MDD-C - MC 5490 - D2
RGH-1A - MC 2945 - D3
NSR-9P - MC 6300 - D1

That'll mean some more updates for the OP, at a later date.

#167 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:21 PM

Prepping for a major overhaul of the OP, but before that, updating the "... Could, But Don't ..." list with the 7 chassis that received heroes with the Solaris patch.

Also adding some gift store links and some Smurfy links that hadn't made it into the listing yet.

Edit,:

After updating "maybe pricing" for 7 new chassis in the "Could, But Don't" list, I noted an abnormally low price for the Bushwacker Champion (C). Normally, they add 25% to the base price of the stock loadout for the variant. In this case, I think the Champion (C) is actually cheaper than the stock version. Posted Image

Now, I'm not complaining if they did it on purpose, but I think this was more likely a mistake. I'll go back and review them all later, for thoroughness' sake.

Edited by Virlutris, 25 April 2018 - 08:39 PM.

#168 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:00 PM

View PostVirlutris, on 18 April 2018 - 08:28 AM, said:

New Champions, special-ninja-delivery for the new Solaris divisions:

OSR-1V - MC 2660 - D6
ASN-101 - MC 1720 - D5
UZL-3P - MC 3840 - D7
BSW-S2 - MC 2995 - D4
MDD-C - MC 5490 - D2
RGH-1A - MC 2945 - D3
NSR-9P - MC 6300 - D1

That'll mean some more updates for the OP, at a later date.

Quick-and-dirty conversions at the conventional rate of a 25% price hike:

OSR-1V, MC 2,185*1.25 = MC 2731.25 at standard price hike
Result: listed price above is MC 71.25 lower than standard rate, appears underpriced.

ASN-101, MC 1,375*1.25 = 1,718.75
Result: listed price above is MC 1.25 higher than standard, within reasonable margin for rounding up/down.

BSW-S2, MC 3,385*1.25 = 4,231.25
Result: listed price above is MC 846.25 lower than standard, by a significant margin
--> even lower than the stock build MC price by more than a mechbays' cost.

UZL-3P, MC 3,070*1.25 = 3837.5
Result: listed price above is MC 2.5 higher than standard, but within reasonable margin for rounding up/down.

MDD-C, MC 4,390*1.25 = 5487.5
Result: listed price above is MC 2.5 higher than standard, but within reasonable margin for rounding up/down.

RGH-1A, MC 2,065*1.25 = 2581.25
Result: listed price above is MC 363.75 higher than standard, overpriced by more than a standard mechbay.

NSR-9P, MC 5,040*1.25 = 6300
Result: exaclty correct for listed price above

Hmmmm.

Edited by Virlutris, 26 April 2018 - 08:42 PM.

#169 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 08:27 PM

Added Vulcan to "... Could, But Don't ... Yet" listing, refreshed some of the OP's text for current state of the game and community.

#170 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:31 PM

Added Flea (at some point, without posting about it ... oops), Incubus and Champion.

It's interesting to me that the Kit Fox and Summoner still don't have Champion (C) variant loadouts.

Them's old mechs now. Like, 2014 old. There are some more from 2014 and 2015 that still don't have them either. It's safe to say we're due for these.

Edited by Virlutris, 11 July 2018 - 02:34 PM.

#171 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 27 September 2018 - 11:15 AM

Wow, excellent work on this, and excellent job keeping it up-to-date. As a former tech writer, I greatly appreciate the list of edits!

As I was browsing, it looks like the by-chassis spoilers lose some formatting. Starting with Cicada, the Subtotal line shows the HTML for underlining and not the underlining proper.

This is a great resource!

#172 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:46 PM

View PostJables McBarty, on 27 September 2018 - 11:15 AM, said:

Wow, excellent work on this, and excellent job keeping it up-to-date. As a former tech writer, I greatly appreciate the list of edits!

As I was browsing, it looks like the by-chassis spoilers lose some formatting. Starting with Cicada, the Subtotal line shows the HTML for underlining and not the underlining proper.

This is a great resource!

These forums can get a little squirrelly sometimes, other times (and more likely) it's simply user error.

I'm overdue for the latest update(s), I'll have a look at that formatting quirk when I get under the hood. Feedback OP pls no nerf!

I'm way overdue for an overhaul of the OP. When its current state sufficiently offends my sensibilities, I'll make a move on it. :D

Edit to note: Summer has been busy. I need to plug in the Vapor Eagle, Charger/Hatamoto, and Warhammer IIC chassis. I'll do this from home where it's mess tedious than updating on mobile.

Edited by Virlutris, 11 October 2018 - 12:54 PM.

#173 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:25 PM

Updated to add Maple Eggo (Vapor Eagle), Hatamoto-Charger, and Whammy IIC.

View PostJables McBarty, on 27 September 2018 - 11:15 AM, said:

Sadly, this is the forum formatting gremlin at work.

When I try to fix it, it stubbornly resists. Finding a lasting solution's going to take more time than I want to spend right now, but (really, I mean it) thanks for the reminder.

Maybe I'll catch and slay the guilty gremlin when (if) I overhaul the OP.

#174 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 11:37 AM

Added Corsair to the listing for " "The Champion(C) We Need," or "The Champion(C) We Deserve?" "

#175 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 01:19 PM

Added Rifleman IIC to "The Champion We Need ..." listing.

#176 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 04 November 2020 - 05:02 PM

Hey everyone, it's been a minute. I thought I'd mention something that's never really been said, but seems pretty evident from the pattern of the various bundles and MechPacks.

The in-game MC mech bundles I describe in the OP are all done with mechs that either (1) weren't introduced via a MechPack model, or (2) were introduced via the Project Phoenix Pack.

I can imagine you saying "Wait, what?" Here's what, to the best of my understanding:

[ Eldar Vehts please correct me if I'm wrong, don't spend too much time adding detail though, please ;) ]

In the bygone days before the cyan HUD displays of ClanTech had yet to level their hostile gaze upon the maps that made up the MWO landscape before Mining Collective, mechs were introduced into the wild for in-game currency like MC and C-bills. No pre-paid packs or bundles chock-full of variants for a given chassis.

The Vindicator was introduced similarly, after a couple of the giant MechPacks, but to the best of my understanding was the last mech initially introduced that way. Heck, a lot of the mech chassis that are represented in the In-Game bundles were introduced in the open beta stage when they were still making pretty extensive tweaks to the gameplay.

After the Founder's Program, which included a variant of each of the original 4 mechs in the game (Aerstlas, Catapult, Hunchback, Jenner, with one special bonus-boosted mech, designated with an added (F) for "Founder"), most mechs were released into the wild as described above for in-game currency.

Eventually, PGI and their then-partners IGP (not kidding, really), chose to do something new and special, releasing 7 new chassis in the Phoenix Pack and its reinforcement pack (special boosted variants were designated (P) for "Phoenix"). There's still an achievement in the game for killing one of these, by the way. The ClanTech Wave 1 pack had a similar plan (special boosted variants were designated (I) for "Invasion), though it took it to the next level with gold mech variants (no, again, not kidding, these special boosted variants were designated (G), yes, for "gold").

The Vindy was released on the old model, then we had more of the multi-chassis packs with The ClanTech Wave 2 and three, Resistance 1 and 2, Origins, etc, until we got the Urbie in it's own special single-chassis package, and all the subsequent releases followed suit until a few of the later packs were doing double-chassis, though nothing like the early wholesale packs.

Okay, here's where relevance returns. PGI introduced those in-game bundles to monetize the earlier (Pre-Monster-Pack) mech chassis a bit more. You'll notice (if you do some digging) that there are bundles for the Phoenix Pack chassis. There was a promise of exclusivity made when those packs were introduced, kind of a "hey, this is special, it's part of the value" guarantee. PGI later floated a re-introduction of the Phoenix Pack (not gonna lie, I was interested) by polling the community to gauge what the original Phoenix Pack patrons thought. Reaction was negative enough, that PGI assented and left the Phoenix Packs alone. Now, in order to monetize them on similar lines, they used the in-game bundle system and here we are.

What we're left with after this rough-hewn history rendition is this:
Every mech chassis introduced before ClanTech Wave 1 (plus the Vindy) has one of these in-game-available bundles.

So far as I can tell, PGI decided that other chassis didn't need them, and/or there wasn't sufficient demand for newer chassis from the post-Phoenix MechPacks to get them.

With PGI valuating the MWO monetization model now that they've renewed the license with Microsoft, there's a good chance they're going to look at other-than-pack options to fund development. There's a high likelihood they won't spend dev time on more in-game bundles, but who knows? I've been wrong plenty of times before playing guess-the-play with PGI :)

#177 DV8EDD

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 07:37 AM

this is confusing stuff but good info. n ew guy here, reading up as much as I can before the gaming computer comes in.

#178 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 08:22 AM

View PostDV8EDD, on 31 January 2021 - 07:37 AM, said:

this is confusing stuff but good info. n ew guy here, reading up as much as I can before the gaming computer comes in.

Greetings!

If I may suggest something, always ask in this section before spending cash, MCs or C-Bills. It can save you a lot of money and effort.

New Player Help

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users