25 replies to this topic

#1 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:18 AM

I would like to see the fog increased somewhat on the new map. When it was thick it was challenging. While the map is expertly done, most of the challenge in nailing someone is gone. Yes it is easier to play, but the Hide-and-go-Kill element is gone.

#2 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:18 AM

Didn't they just reduce it?

#3 Mitsuragi

Legendary Founder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 311 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationOUT OF BOUNDS

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:27 AM

View PostBrody319, on 02 December 2014 - 08:18 AM, said:

Didn't they just reduce it?

Yes, but OP wants some of it back.

@OP it was reduced because everyone turned on heat vision as soon as the match started, which made the fog pointless.

#4 Roadbuster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:27 AM

View PostKalimaster, on 02 December 2014 - 08:18 AM, said:

I would like to see the fog increased somewhat on the new map. When it was thick it was challenging. While the map is expertly done, most of the challenge in nailing someone is gone. Yes it is easier to play, but the Hide-and-go-Kill element is gone.

No.

When it was thick, people just used heat view. No challenge, just less color.
And there is so much cover where you can hide that it doesn't make a difference if there is fog or not, imho.

#5 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:28 AM

whats the sense? people would juts run thermal view all day and thats all.

Unless dusk or dawn there is often no fog in swamps at all.

#6 A big brave boulder of meat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 177 posts
  • LocationOakdale, Minnesota

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:35 AM

I like it now as I don't feel the need for thermal as much. Nice to see things clear for a change seeing most of the maps already have sight hindering weather elements.

#7 bobF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:39 AM

Fog is one of the classic environmental conditions going back to the Virtual World BT pods, so if you're not down with fog, you're just bad.

I know, it's "really" because you have to use heat vision.

K.

#8 Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 684 posts
  • LocationCocoa Beach, FL

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:44 AM

View PostTrollvomiT, on 02 December 2014 - 08:35 AM, said:

most of the maps already have sight hindering weather elements.

You must have access to some exclusive DLC map packs. Name 2 maps that have weather elements that hinder sight. You can't use Viridian either... since you were happy the fog was taken out because "most maps" have weather related sight issues.

Edited by Moonlander, 02 December 2014 - 08:45 AM.

#9 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:44 AM

I would love if it was super heavy and heat vision didn't work. Would make the map much spookier and threatening when you don't know if the enemy is nearby.

#10 Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 684 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:45 AM

View PostbobF, on 02 December 2014 - 08:39 AM, said:

Fog is one of the classic environmental conditions going back to the Virtual World BT pods, so if you're not down with fog, you're just bad.

I know, it's "really" because you have to use heat vision.

K.

People just have to have their way. If they can't see 1000m across a map, it's not fair.

#11 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:46 AM

The fog was kind of cool, but having my hundred ton death machine get stuck on every twig is not so awesome. I guess it's part of the strategy of the map, though - it's definitely got a more "advanced" feel to it: you have to be really aware of your surrounding while lining up the shot, and constantly thinking about an escape route should things go pear-shaped.

For the fog, I'm with Brody up there - it would be cool if the fog had an ambient temperature that was close to that of the mechs, making heat vision useless and making the map much more claustrophobic and "brawly."

#12 Roadbuster

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:12 AM

View PostMoonlander, on 02 December 2014 - 08:45 AM, said:

People just have to have their way. If they can't see 1000m across a map, it's not fair.

Uhmm.... :blink:

View PostMoonlander, on 01 December 2014 - 05:44 PM, said:

I just want everyone to know that I got 3 new 1080p monitors because of Black Friday being so gud. WELL, APPARENTLY... thermal vision is amazing with a good monitor. I can officially see across a map with it. Like Frozen City... dat blizzard no gud now.

View PostMoonlander, on 01 December 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:

Before, I could barely make out targets using thermal who were 400-600m away. Now, I can clearly see targets across the map when on high ground.

View PostMoonlander, on 01 December 2014 - 10:38 PM, said:

I could actually use Thermal for long range and mechs stick out very good. It's not just faint... it's bright white.

:ph34r:

Also, thermal sometimes causes my framerate to drop down to ~15fps which is very annoying if you can't see 100m without it.
It's a known problem, but it still happens. So, for me, every map where I don't have to use thermal view is great.

#13 Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 684 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:17 AM

View PostRoadbuster, on 02 December 2014 - 09:12 AM, said:

Uhmm.... :blink:

:ph34r:

Also, thermal sometimes causes my framerate to drop down to ~15fps which is very annoying if you can't see 100m without it.
It's a known problem, but it still happens. So, for me, every map where I don't have to use thermal view is great.

Look at the date when I got my new monitors. At least a week after the changes to the map. Even back then, if you look hard enough, you can find posts that I hated the change to the fog. A for effort tho.

#14 AlexEss

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:17 AM

View PostMoonlander, on 02 December 2014 - 08:44 AM, said:

You must have access to some exclusive DLC map packs. Name 2 maps that have weather elements that hinder sight. You can't use Viridian either... since you were happy the fog was taken out because "most maps" have weather related sight issues.

Frozen city
River City night
sort of Forest colony

So ok most is perhaps a overstatement but it is not unheard of.

#15 Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 684 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:20 AM

View PostAlexEss, on 02 December 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:

Frozen city
River City night
sort of Forest colony

So ok most is perhaps a overstatement but it is not unheard of.

Oooh, I wasn't aware that night time was actually weather. I'll have to keep an eye out for those forecasts.

#16 AlexEss

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:26 AM

View PostMoonlander, on 02 December 2014 - 09:20 AM, said:

Oooh, I wasn't aware that night time was actually weather. I'll have to keep an eye out for those forecasts.

Well for all intents and purposes it is... Seeing how no map really have changing weather or day/nigh cycle.. But it does not matter.. you asked to have two maps named and i gave you two,,, Even if the weather effect on Forest colony is very low in impact.

I guess i could bring up the haze on caustic too if i would like to play your game of being overly picky...

#17 Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 684 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:28 AM

View PostAlexEss, on 02 December 2014 - 09:26 AM, said:

Well for all intents and purposes it is... Seeing how no map really have changing weather or day/nigh cycle.. But it does not matter.. you asked to have two maps named and i gave you two,,, Even if the weather effect on Forest colony is very low in impact.

I guess i could bring up the haze on caustic too if i would like to play your game of being overly picky...

Overly picky is just as bad as over exaggerating... amarrite? For the record, night isn't weather.

Edited by Moonlander, 02 December 2014 - 09:28 AM.

#18 Shae Starfyre

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:28 AM

I think they should reduce night and thermal vision down to 270m, bring the fog back, and let's get busy.

#19 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:29 AM

View PostBrody319, on 02 December 2014 - 08:44 AM, said:

I would love if it was super heavy and heat vision didn't work. Would make the map much spookier and threatening when you don't know if the enemy is nearby.

If they implemented true heat textures, the world would look very different. It's just a "lightness" map, and when a mech heats up, it gets brighter. That is why you still see the exact textures on rocks, water, snow, as you would without heat vision. they just go greyscale and look darker.

In the bog, you would have a very difficult time differentiating the trees and branches and roots that stick up from the water, and it would almost be worse to be in thermal vision because you would not have as good depth perception.
But instead when you shoot the ground and it leaves a black mark, it isn't hot in thermal, it's a black blob because thermal isn't thermal. it's brightness vison.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 02 December 2014 - 09:32 AM.

#20 Blakkstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 249 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:36 AM

It's better now. You can actually appreciate the color and detail on the map instead of immediately hitting thermal. I was also getting all sorts of weird lighting glitches (like shimmering rocks and pop-in) that have improved since the change.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users