182 replies to this topic

#41 Savage Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:34 PM

Does this include a quirk swap between Raven 2X and 4X? Because their quirks only make sense if you swap them around.

Medium Pulse lasers on the one with 2 energy hardpoints and large pulse lasers on the one with 4 energy hardpoints?

#42 Revorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:42 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 02 December 2014 - 06:46 PM, said:

Community Warfare Phase 2 - Open Beta - The explanations are plentiful in the many posts you have read, you all know what it is. As the title states this will be an Open Beta release and will certainly have known issues when it is released.

Special Note on CW Phase 2 Open Beta: At some future date we will remove the Open Beta tag and even rename and re brand the entire thing to something more fitting. It should also be noted that with Open Beta releasing so close to the Christmas break that it is likely there will be some hot fixes that week and even the possibility of downtime on CW as we patch issues that are exposed by the large live population base.

Released Dec 16th patch.

In my opinion, your going the rigth Way, we all know, Launches never going smooth, but too many Devellopers are tryed to tell us the opposit. So +1 for being realistic and transparent. Good Comunication. Good Job. Kepp up the Line. :)

Edited by Revorn, 02 December 2014 - 10:43 PM.

#43 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:17 PM

View PostRevorn, on 02 December 2014 - 10:42 PM, said:

Launches never going smooth, but too many Devellopers are tryed to tell us the opposit. So +1 for being realistic and transparent.

On the other hand, giving developers permission in advance to launch shoddy and incomplete work isn't really a better alternative.

What we should be striving for is quality work delivered on time. We should remember that CW is effectively two years late.

So I'm not prepared to tolerate in advance a lot of bugs. I'll accept balancing issues as being legitimate, because it's hard to get balance right in the design stage. Bugs, on the other hand, are minimizable through proper commitment to quality control, and testing.

In any case, I am looking forward to finally seeing CW after all this time.

Edited by Appogee, 03 December 2014 - 12:03 AM.

#44 headclot

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:26 PM

View PostAppogee, on 02 December 2014 - 11:17 PM, said:

On the other hand, giving developers permission in advance to launch shoddy and incomplete work isn't really a better alternative.

What we should be striving for is quality work delivered on time. We should remember that CW is effectively two years late.

So I'm not prepared to tolerate in advance a lot of bugs. I'll accept balancing issues as being legitimate, because it's hard to get balance right in the design stage. Bugs, on the other hand, are avoidable with proper commitment to quality control, and testing.

In any case, I am looking forward to finally seeing CW after all this time.

Atleast it wont be Assassins Creed: Unity. Just saying...

#45 GreyNovember

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:34 PM

Does this mean the K2 will be getting PPC quirks, as is proper for a stock?

#46 DragonsFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 655 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:50 PM

Bugs, on the other hand, are avoidable with proper commitment to quality control, and testing.

This statement is simply untrue. As soon as you implement multiple lines of code into any project, let alone multiple developers working on various branches, your chances at defects happening skyrocket. The unfortunate reality is that while a large number of these defects are discovered and squashed prior to a release, some won't be exposed until they see conditions that can't properly be recreated outside of a test environment.

#47 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:55 PM

View PostDragonsFire, on 02 December 2014 - 11:50 PM, said:

The unfortunate reality is that while a large number of these defects are discovered and squashed prior to a release, some won't be exposed until they see conditions that can't properly be recreated outside of a test environment.

A small number. But proper testing should make it relatively minimal.

#48 Lucky Noob

• The Sovereign
  • The Sovereign
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:55 PM

Community Warfare Phase 2 - Open Beta - The explanations are plentiful in the many posts you have read, you all know what it is. As the title states this will be an Open Beta release and will certainly have known issues when it is released.

YAY i got into Open Beta weeeeeh.

And yes i was going trough CB and OB with you, so i know we will have alot of Fun with all the Bugs we will find, and there will be Chaos

Posted Image

But we will go trough with you <3

Edited by Braddack, 02 December 2014 - 11:56 PM.

#49 KalTorak18

• PipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 46 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:56 PM

I'm very excited to see CW. I'm less excited about quirk fixing, but I'm trusting you're doing it for improvement reasons and not just crowd pleasing. I'm even more excited about the hitbox updates for the clan mechs. This might make the Lynx less of a chore to play. Thank you!

Bugs, on the other hand, are minimized with proper commitment to quality control, and testing.

FTFY.

I can tell you've never written software. It's very hard to see all the edge cases on in house testing environments. Also, it has a beta tag. Expect bugs or wait until they lift the beta tag to play in it.

#50 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:57 PM

View Postheadclot, on 02 December 2014 - 11:26 PM, said:

At least it wont be Assassins Creed: Unity. Just saying...

Assassins Creed Unity is what happens when developers - usually, pushed by publishers - decide they can get away with sloppy development and poor quality control, and that customers will just suck it up and live with it until they finally get the product they paid for.

I've noticed that the 'agile development' methodology is now being used as an excuse for a 'release it and patch it' mentality.

I don't think we should accept poor quality software any more than we would accept cars whose wheels fall off as they leave the showroom.

Edited by Appogee, 03 December 2014 - 12:04 AM.

#51 Revorn

• The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:58 PM

I agree with you at that. But to get devlivering on time, you need to be realistic, on what you can manage with your Crew first and dont tell us Fary Tales. So i like this evolution of Comunication.

But anyway I am looking forward toseeing CW after all this time as well. :)

Edited by Revorn, 03 December 2014 - 12:00 AM.

#52 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:59 PM

View PostKalTorak18, on 02 December 2014 - 11:56 PM, said:

I can tell you've never written software.
Actually, I have. I don't code any more, but I am a VP of one of the world' biggest software development companies.

Thanks for playing, next contestant please.

View PostKalTorak18, on 02 December 2014 - 11:56 PM, said:

Also, it has a beta tag. Expect bugs or wait until they lift the beta tag to play in it.
I would usually agree with you, except that, as we have seen through the history of MWO's development, PGI just use the Beta tag as an excuse for not getting things done properly or on time.

That is, they don't Beta software in the way that Betas are intended to be done.. with segregated production vs Beta populations.

Edited by Appogee, 03 December 2014 - 12:29 AM.

#53 KalTorak18

• PipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 46 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:01 AM

View PostAppogee, on 02 December 2014 - 11:59 PM, said:

I'm now the VP

Ah, management. That explains everything.

#54 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:07 AM

View PostKalTorak18, on 03 December 2014 - 12:01 AM, said:

Ah, management. That explains everything.

Yes, I got promoted because I personally delivered quality product on time, and then led teams to do the same, and now I task others to do the same, for the sake of our customers.

(redacted)

View PostRevorn, on 02 December 2014 - 11:58 PM, said:

I agree with you at that. But to get devlivering on time, you need to be realistic, on what you can manage with your Crew first and dont tell us Fary Tales. So i like this evolution of Comunication.

Me too. I give PGI a lot of credit for finally seeing the light and reversing their previously short-sighted anti-customer approach.

But I don't want to go overboard and pre-accept that shovelling poor quality work out the door "on time" constitutes success, either, as some would do out of the sheer joy of potentially finally having PGI deliver CW after two years of deception and broken commitments.

---

Net of all of the above though is that I am seeing the glass more than half full, giving PGI a fifth chance, spending even more money on the game, and eagerly looking forward to the launch of CW.

Edited by Appogee, 03 December 2014 - 12:41 AM.

#55 KalTorak18

• PipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 46 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:30 AM

View PostAppogee, on 03 December 2014 - 12:07 AM, said:

Yes, it means I was too smart to stay a coder forever. That included ensuring I personally delivered a quality product on time, and then led a team to do the same.

You, on the other hand, make incorrect assumptions, and when they are pointed out to you, you then try to defend them by selectively dismissing the counter facts put before you.

I doubt I'll be seeing you at the board room table any time soon.

Haha, it seems I may have hit a nerve. No hard feelings, man (right? Another assumption!), I was just trying to make a joke with my second comment. In my original post, I was cautioning you to look at PGI's side of things, but if you are who you say you are, fair enough! You are entitled to your own opinion and are probably informed on the development process. Not that I don't believe everything I read on the internet, of course. Which, I mean, obviously I do. :D

In any case, I look forward to your update PGI. Sorry to take up thread space with a tangential conversation.

Edited by KalTorak18, 03 December 2014 - 12:30 AM.

#56 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:40 AM

View PostKalTorak18, on 03 December 2014 - 12:30 AM, said:

Haha, it seems I may have hit a nerve. No hard feelings, man (right? Another assumption!), I was just trying to make a joke with my second comment. In my original post,
I'm sorry, I took it personally and apparently over-reacted to a joke. I've deleted the harsh part of my response. Apologies for making it in the first place.

View PostKalTorak18, on 03 December 2014 - 12:30 AM, said:

I was cautioning you to look at PGI's side of things, but if you are who you say you are, fair enough! You are entitled to your own opinion and are probably informed on the development process. Not that I don't believe everything I read on the internet, of course. Which, I mean, obviously I do. :D
I understand - lots of people make lots of claims on the internet, and it's hard to sift the truth from the imposters. I value my privacy and security, and always keep my personal life and work life very separate, so I won't say further on this.

Edited by Appogee, 03 December 2014 - 12:44 AM.

#57 EarlGrey83

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:45 AM

Hard to believe that after years of waiting I will finally play some CW next week.

No problem if it will be buggy or unbalanced, I will beta-test the hell out of it. :D

#58 Daimuddah

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 17 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:53 AM

Im missing UI 2.5

#59 Ren Kurogane

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 175 posts
  • Location10.4.2 401

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:57 AM

CW phase 2 aside...(don't shoot me for this... :P), if i choose 4 different clan faction skins, i can change the default invasion skin on my clanmechs with whichever clan faction skin and whenever i like? Unlike unlock-1-paintjob-for-1-chassis system we have now?

oh my....please...make....it....true... :wub:

#60 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:02 AM

"Further into the future the faction skins will be retrofitted to work with all Wave 1 mechs."

1. Will this be free for Wave 1 mechs to those who own the Wave 1 package, or will it cost us extra?
2. Will this include availability on the Invasion variants?
(not specifically about the skins)
3. Would it be possible to just choose 1 faction content multiple times? Such as being able to just choose multiple Wolf content and have the multiple cockpit items. (cause lets face it, I'm in Wolf, I'll never use the other Clan's content)

Edited by MauttyKoray, 03 December 2014 - 01:02 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users