58 replies to this topic

#41 Chrysato Bahrudin

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 26 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconis Combine

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:41 PM

I run Low armor on legs and left arm, Two LPL's, MD in the head, and ASRM 6. The large pulse laser and energy quirks on this mech make it a nice harasser and brawler. I would post a smurfy link but it's down right now lol XO

#42 Bawbagzz

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 46 posts
  • LocationThe 45%

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:31 AM

The Wubverine is for the nerfhammer.Redoing it's quirks to LL.......sigh "golfclap".

#43 Dredges

Rookie

• The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:57 AM

View PostBawbagzz, on 14 February 2015 - 06:31 AM, said:

The Wubverine is for the nerfhammer.Redoing it's quirks to LL.......sigh "golfclap".

Yeah this has annoyed me no end. Spent a lot of time, effort and cbills mastering the Wolverine to run a 3LPL... now its changing to LL's? The wolverine is meant to be a fast-striking harrasser, not a sniper. LPL's and a decent engine allow it to flank easily and nip in and out with a decent amount of damage. With the new quirks, it seems they want to turn it into some sort of long range sniper. *shrug* thats not particularly a bad thing, but there are better mechs for that.

I have tried out a TDR-9SE as a LPL replacement. The WVR lives longer, does more damage over the course of a match, and gets more kills.

Speed and manouverability really do pay off with the WVR...

Edited by Dredges, 15 February 2015 - 02:47 AM.

#44 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 February 2015 - 02:11 AM

Since nobody has mentioned it yet, GMan's build for the WVR-6R is always great.

WVR-6R (2x AC5, 3x SRM2, XL250)

It's a lot of fun because it's a suppression machine. Keep up the constant stream of AC5 and SRM2 and most enemies you face will back down and try to get away from you. Hang around with the assaults and add your firepower to theirs, plus with the stream of SRM2's you can get lucky and snipe some kills if that's your thing. That said, it's a bit hard to play because it's a brawly build running an XL, but it's good practice for armour rolling and carefully choosing your engagements. I recommend giving it a go at some point.

#45 Kahadras

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 127 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:48 AM

Yeah this has annoyed me no end. Spent a lot of time, effort and cbills mastering the Wolverine to run a 3LPL... now its changing to LL's?

Same here. Spent time and effort to get the 6K to where I wanted it and now I have to spend more time and effort to get the c-bills together to bring it into line with it's new quirks. I hope this isn't going to become a 'thing' where we get a merry-go-round of quirk changes every few months. It could get very annoying very quickly.

#46 Colonel Clunge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 104 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:25 AM

View PostDredges, on 15 February 2015 - 01:57 AM, said:

Yeah this has annoyed me no end. Spent a lot of time, effort and cbills mastering the Wolverine to run a 3LPL... now its changing to LL's? The wolverine is meant to be a fast-striking harrasser, not a sniper. LPL's and a decent engine allow it to flank easily and nip in and out with a decent amount of damage. With the new quirks, it seems they want to turn it into some sort of long range sniper. *shrug* thats not particularly a bad thing, but there are better mechs for that.

I have tried out a TDR-9SE as a LPL replacement. The WVR lives longer, does more damage over the course of a match, and gets more kills.

Speed and manouverability really do pay off with the WVR...

Totally agree with this. Massively pissed off that I spent months getting my arse handed to me on a plate by Timbies and Stormcrows and then just when you get something that's capable of competing they nerf the **** out of it. Obviously the bleating from the pay to win Clanners gets heard - after all PGI will want to look after those muppets that supply them with most of their profits.

I also don't agree that the Wubverine is OP. It still takes skill to do well in. You need a lot of situational awareness as all your firepower is in one hardpoint and if you don't protect that right arm your are effectively completely toothless.

Glad I spent all those c bills getting LPL modules now....

Not sure I want to go back to the days when Clanners steamrollered over everything........

#47 Kahadras

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:16 AM

I also don't agree that the Wubverine is OP. It still takes skill to do well in. You need a lot of situational awareness as all your firepower is in one hardpoint and if you don't protect that right arm your are effectively completely toothless.

Yup it's a pretty big disadvantage to the design. There have been plenty of games where I've seen a 6K on the other team and just gone straight after the right arm. Once that falls off then the mech has effectively been taken out of the game. I've also finnished plenty of games with my 6K missing it's right arm.

:(

#48 Nori Silverrage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 332 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:23 AM

I love my Wuberine, but I think this build will be a lot of fun.. It'll be faster with slighly higher range and a larger alpha.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5decb3239e9985b

Also, it wasn't nerfed because it was OP or anything. PGI decided to change it to make it more closely match it's stock build which has large lasers.
I'm guessing one of the other Wolverines will be getting large pulse quirks since it comes with a large pulse stock.

#49 Colonel Clunge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 104 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:39 AM

View PostNori Silverrage, on 17 February 2015 - 08:23 AM, said:

I love my Wuberine, but I think this build will be a lot of fun.. It'll be faster with slighly higher range and a larger alpha.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5decb3239e9985b

Also, it wasn't nerfed because it was OP or anything. PGI decided to change it to make it more closely match it's stock build which has large lasers.
I'm guessing one of the other Wolverines will be getting large pulse quirks since it comes with a large pulse stock.

I'm intrigued now - that looks like it could pack quite a punch. And good point on the stock loadouts - from memory I thinks its the 7K that starts with an LPL but you can't get the 3 arm LPLs as it only has two arm energy hardpoints so not quite as good.

#50 Nori Silverrage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 332 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:01 AM

View PostColonel Clunge, on 17 February 2015 - 08:39 AM, said:

I'm intrigued now - that looks like it could pack quite a punch. And good point on the stock loadouts - from memory I thinks its the 7K that starts with an LPL but you can't get the 3 arm LPLs as it only has two arm energy hardpoints so not quite as good.

I think it'll be pretty fun. The laser duration quirk means it'll take 0.85s to get the full damage vs 0.7s for LPLs. You would want to fire it twos I think with each volley costing 10.5 heat. However, you can fire all 4 lasers if needed. I think you could do so about 4 times before heat becomes a issue.

Range will be 608m with the range module, or 562 without. Slighly further than the LPL.
Not counting cooldown modules overall DPS will be slightly lower with the LLAS, but the alpha will be slightly higher.

I can understand people's frustrations as I just got all three wolverines in the last month. But I really think they are moving the right direction with the latest quirk pass. Lots of mechs are getting more generic quirks instead of pigon holing them into certain weapons which should see us get more diversity. They are also scaling back some of their more insane quirks. I'm hoping we will see less -50% heat generation or cooldowns on mechs..

#51 FoxTrot05

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:18 PM

View PostNori Silverrage, on 17 February 2015 - 09:01 AM, said:

I think it'll be pretty fun. The laser duration quirk means it'll take 0.85s to get the full damage vs 0.7s for LPLs. You would want to fire it twos I think with each volley costing 10.5 heat. However, you can fire all 4 lasers if needed. I think you could do so about 4 times before heat becomes a issue.

Range will be 608m with the range module, or 562 without. Slighly further than the LPL.
Not counting cooldown modules overall DPS will be slightly lower with the LLAS, but the alpha will be slightly higher.

I can understand people's frustrations as I just got all three wolverines in the last month. But I really think they are moving the right direction with the latest quirk pass. Lots of mechs are getting more generic quirks instead of pigon holing them into certain weapons which should see us get more diversity. They are also scaling back some of their more insane quirks. I'm hoping we will see less -50% heat generation or cooldowns on mechs..

I hate to sound like one of "those guys" but if the clan weapons are going to weigh less and get other buffs, then IS weapons do need some insane quirks. Clan LPL have nearly twice the range. IS needs mechs that get stupid quirks, because IS have to fight superrior clan weapons.

I had to grind for my wubvorine and the XL300 engine took a while to grind, because of the sales, the engine was twice as expensive as the mech. I'm glad I didn't spend the money on LPL modules. I was thinking of picking up the other two mechs to master them, but now I'm not so sure if quirks are changing like this...

#52 Kahadras

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:22 PM

Well I've done the best I can. I've pulled off the 3 LPL from my 6K and replaced them with 4 LL. I've taken off the LPL modules and replaced them with LL ones. I'll take it out a few times over the next week and see how it performs.

#53 Dredges

Rookie

• The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:25 PM

Am I imagining it or did the GH drop back to 2 lasers? Or is it still 3?

#54 Count Zero 74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 733 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:28 PM

I just replaced the 3 LpL with 3 Large and filled the remainig tonnage with heat-sinks. After the first few matches I'd say it works quite well. Runs a lot cooler and the greater range is nice too.

#55 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:41 PM

lol...and I learn today while swapping in the LLs that I've been running my 6k at not full potential...never installed my LPL cooldown 5.....

with LL is just does'nt have the same feel

Edited by Bigbacon, 17 February 2015 - 03:48 PM.

#56 Porcorosso101

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 122 posts
  • LocationUK, Berkshire

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:24 AM

2 LPLs still works fine with this build, just add a better engine.

If i do have to go pure LL: Id rather use the Centurion AL as its faster, better hitboxes and has superior zombie mode eg 1 LL or 2 lasers in CT. Yes the wolve has better quirks but its all in that right arm...

Edited by Porcorosso101, 18 February 2015 - 05:25 AM.

#57 Colonel Clunge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 104 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 18 February 2015 - 06:04 AM

Here's a thought - maybe PGI are about to finally bring out the much asked for Wolverine Hero Mech - with LPLs!

Or am I being paranoid???

#58 THE ERASER

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:02 PM

Well I Can post some of my Wolverine Build that I Build before the Quirks existed but liked them very much.

WVR-6R Build 1:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cf0e9243f41c1ef

WVR-6R Build 2:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bd1c4cb4b94d1d3

WVR-7K Build:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1391d516f446727

WVR-6K Build:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d11429bbdf21c11

I like especially the WVR-6K, its a Fast skirmisher and a nice back opener. Heavy Battlemechs need only 1 alpha & second tab with the MPL.

Edited by THE ERASER, 19 February 2015 - 02:03 PM.

#59 Porcorosso101

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 122 posts
  • LocationUK, Berkshire

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:29 AM

I have the same 7K build as you - 1 LPL is very good with it

Ive now modded it to have 2 LPL, 1 ML and 2 SRM6s and al a 97 KPH, yes it runs hot but the DPS is awesome at long + close range. The 12.5% reduction in energy duration is cool, makes moving and shooting even better!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users