58 replies to this topic

#21 HlynkaCG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 06 December 2014 - 01:06 PM

If you like SRM brawling I'd recommend something like this standard engine Can-opener build for the 6R

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f3efee8013349d.

Otherwise if you're going to use the AC5s commit to the AC5s.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f5452b7619be4d3

I ended up selling off my 6K after I mastered it but this is the build that I ran

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2cf20c806400eae

#22 Temptis

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:57 AM

View PostHlynkaCG, on 06 December 2014 - 01:06 PM, said:

I ended up selling off my 6K after I mastered it but this is the build that I ran

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2cf20c806400eae

Heretic!

WVR-6K

Alpha until it gets to hot than just use the LPL only until you get a chance to cool down again

#23 Crotch RockIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 583 posts
  • Locationchewing his lower lip

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:26 AM

No, you need less engine and more Wub.

WVR-6K

#24 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:40 AM

Lots of cool builds in this thread. I'd like to add, however, that you should keep in mind the Wolverine can do -very- well as LRM boat. Especially since the griffin only got a lousy +5% missile range, the 7K was my LRM medium of choice during the Victor challenge.
Yes, boo, hiss, LRMs. Especially when you need to farm c-bills, this is very efficient: the head hardpoint can mount a very useful TAG that gets a 15% range boost, and with all your tubes situated on the shoulders, you can spit out 30 LRMs per volley without exposing too much of your mech's body.

Meanwhile, the new quirks are making me seriously consider buying the 6K again...

#25 CuriousCabbitBlue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:02 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4c965e4265835e0

#26 Nori Silverrage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 332 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:49 AM

Hows the hitbox/survivability on these? I like how they can fit a STD without giving up too much, or a XL for more speed. Very versatile which is nice.

#27 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,804 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 07 January 2015 - 01:50 PM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 05 December 2014 - 03:09 PM, said:

Why would you do that and not take advantage of the LPL quirks? They're silly good, as shown here:

Because its way too slow for my taste. I also dont build mechs according to ther quirks as that makes the game dull to me.

#28 Big Tin Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:28 PM

View PostDONTOR, on 07 January 2015 - 01:50 PM, said:

Because its way too slow for my taste. I also dont build mechs according to ther quirks as that makes the game dull to me.

105 kph is too slow? I run mine with 3 lpl and a xl 325. If you chose to build and ignore quirks, well then do what you like.

#29 Mirumoto Izanami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:00 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...02d408b97685d42

What I run for the Wuberine. I have a thing for small pulse lasers.

#30 Kahadras

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:05 AM

I just run the 6K with 3 LPL. If the right arm goes then I'm pretty much useless but it can put out an amazing amount of damage for a medium mech and is probably my favourite ride at the moment. It's a nice blend of firepower and mobility but the issuses that come with an XL engine and all of the mechs firepower concentrated onto one arm makes it rather fragile despite having a decent amount of armour.

#31 Perrywinckle

Rookie

• Warrior - Point 1
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:56 PM

I was reading through this thread and was tweaking the various builds to try and get something that would suit my play style. Figured I'd ask you guys how good of an idea I have going here. I like the speed the 'Mech has (at least in comparison to my laser Centurion), and was wondering if amping up in that department was worth it. Or is speed not really worth it for, what I've been playing as a mid-close range 'Mech? I just have the WVR-6R right now, but the amount of fun I've been having with it so far makes me want to pick up the other variants for sure.

WVR-6R

or

WVR-6R - Faster

#32 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:03 AM

Considering that you're giving up a heat sink you don't really need and only half a ton of ammo, I'd say it's worth it, if you already have the engine. Otherwise, I'd rather go for more jump jets. The Wolverine can jump ridiculously high - use that.

#33 Colonel Clunge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 104 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:12 AM

View PostCrotch RockIt, on 11 December 2014 - 06:26 AM, said:

No, you need less engine and more Wub.

WVR-6K

Cannot agree more - the 3LPL 6K kicks ass!! This is my highest kill mech by far. Almost always get over 400 damage and have gotten close to the fabled 1000 damage on a couple of occasions (and I am only an average pilot). The key to this build is to use your corners. Peak round, fire all three LPLs and duck back. The recharge rate is awesome and I've taken down Assaults solo on occasions due to the strong torso twist and speed of the wubverine!

Try it - you will not be disappointed!

View PostKahadras, on 19 January 2015 - 04:05 AM, said:

I just run the 6K with 3 LPL. If the right arm goes then I'm pretty much useless but it can put out an amazing amount of damage for a medium mech and is probably my favourite ride at the moment. It's a nice blend of firepower and mobility but the issuses that come with an XL engine and all of the mechs firepower concentrated onto one arm makes it rather fragile despite having a decent amount of armour.

I drop the leg armour to keep that head ML for Zombie action - hate losing that right arm and being defenceless. But then I use an XL 290 not a 300.

#34 Perrywinckle

Rookie

• Warrior - Point 1
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:00 AM

As a new player in general, is it normal to plop an XL engine into a mech, particularly a medium? It could just be my exposure to the game (my only other mech is a centurion), but most builds I've seen tend to trend towards bringing an XL. Also, what's the difference between the two energy heavy wolverines? I could just be a newbie but they seem like they're essentially the same mech.

Oh, and what's a zombie?

#35 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:18 AM

Zombie = a mech with no arms and no side torsos that can still fight. Most mechs have no weapons in the CT and are called sticks. Zombies still fight, usually with a laser or two from their CT. And because XL engines go boom if you lose a side torso, you can only get to be a zombie mech if you run a STD engine.

The WVR-6K has some huge energy weapon bonuses that make running 3 Large Pulse Lasers on it a blast. It doesn't have jump jets, however, and only one missile slot (that nobody uses since the quirks hit).

The WVR-7K is more versatile, has jump jets, but doesn't have quirks as good as the 6K. It can work very well as an SRM brawler, LRM boat or even a varied support platform (I mastered it using 2x ERLL, 2x SSRM2, LRM10 & TAG - great fun to drive).

Both the 6K w 3x LPL (and 1ML in the head) and the 7K w SRM18 (plus 3x ML) can run STD275 for zombie mode. Alternatively they can mount higher rating XL engines (300-350). This makes them almost as fast as some lights, but increases their vulnerability. Driving a Wolverine with an XL engine requires at least some decent skills at torso twisting to spread incoming damage.

#36 Perrywinckle

Rookie

• Warrior - Point 1
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:49 AM

On that point, is a CASE worth taking on a mech using am XL? I was told by a friend that it was a pointless investment if you have an XL. From what I'm seeing the benefits of carrying an XL engine seem to outweigh the risks, since the zombie potential being gone seems to be outweighed by how useless the mech is without its right arm.

Is taking a higher rating engine on my 6K worth it, for a mech running 2x AC/5? From what I've seen so far from gameplay the speed of the wolverine is what keeps it alive in a brawl, but is that just because I'm "playing it wrong?"

#37 Kahadras

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:18 PM

I don't run my Wolverine as a brawler but I've got a big enough XL to allow me to do over 90 kph once I've unlocked the speed tweak skill. The XL gives me enough tonnage for lots of double heat sinks and plenty of armour. Mobility is important for medium mechs as we can't take the punnishment that heavier mechs can soak up. It also allows us to maintain optimal range for our weapon systems, flank slower enemy units and withdraw from a position if needs be.

#38 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:45 AM

No, CASE isn't really worth it on a mech with an XL engine. Just put your ammo in the head, legs and leftovers in the arms with the weapons.

As for the 2x AC5 WVR-6R, you don't need to be stupidly fast with it as you should not try to brawl at short range. Try to keep your distance at 5-600m and always keep moving. This way you can still do full damage while the enemy's short range weapons like medium lasers and SRMs will be useless. XL 275-300 is sufficient.

#39 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:13 PM

so...

is the wubbawubba-LPL-inyoface 6k tons'o'fun?

want one, thinking this
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f007427dba34d0f

#40 Porcorosso101

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 122 posts
  • LocationUK, Berkshire

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:49 AM

All three variants are fun, I got all three last night: However its my ugliest Mech:

6R - Great Dakka build - twin AC5 with almost same ROF as a AC2 if you get the cooldown module - 5 secs of non stop firing=around 60 pts of damage with low heat then fire some SRMs! . Remember to get loads more ammo. However all on the low right arm...

7K - Pulse and SRM brawler, works well with XL engines as it needs speed to get into range and run away. If you get arm blown off then you still have SRMs.

6K - Large Pulse Laser Supreme - just wub all day long. Get 2 or 3, you decide. Again all on low right arm...

Edited by Porcorosso101, 26 January 2015 - 05:12 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users