• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:58 AM

View PostMaster Pain, on 10 December 2014 - 04:21 PM, said:

I will never be in the front with my KGC. The rest of the team runs away from me so fast, they must think my mech has leprosy.

Leprosy.(sung to the tune of Yesterday)
That old rotten man just touched my knee.
Now my flesh is falling off of me.
Oh, I think I got leprosy.

Suddenly
I'm just half the man I used to be.
There are pieces coming off of me.
Yes, leprosy came suddenly.

Why'd my arm fall off?
I don't know, no one will say.
I know something's wrong,
'cause my leg just walked away (without me.)

Yesterday,
I could always lounge the time away.
Now my bed is in a slimy way,
Oh, leprosy's ruined my day.

Why did I get cursed
with this rot? I need to hide.
I'm sure I'm diseased
for my spleen fell out my side. (ooooohhhh.)

Leprosy
has become a big problem for me.
All my friends now run away from me.
Oh how I hate this leprosy.

#62 kapusta11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:00 AM

Lol PUGs wonder why no one follows their favorite strategy:
Posted Image

#63 McHoshi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:01 PM

Posted Image

#64 Rokuzachi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 511 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:08 PM

No point in being up front when;

- Everyone backs up away from you when the engagement begins, leaving you to die
- Everyone charges ahead of you as the engagement starts, blocking your guns and eating hits that you intended on taking
- Everyone stands around with a finger up their ass and lets you die as you push, and then waddles around single file to do the same because how could this possibly go wrong?
- Everyone is shooting you in the back because they don't realize that their mech has arms that fire from further out to the side than their torso weapons

#65 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:39 PM

Completely disagree. Assaults cant tank for a damn. Assaults like the King Crab also dont have the speed to get out of a bad situation once they commit. So having assaults go in first makes no sense, because if the rest of the team doesnt also commit, the assault cant uncommit and just dies. It makes far more sense to send the assaults in once the whole team decides to commit.

TTK would have to be increased considerably for assaults to fill any kindve tanking role.

Edited by Khobai, 10 January 2015 - 07:48 PM.

#66 Xmith

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:12 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 11 December 2014 - 04:58 AM, said:

Leprosy.(sung to the tune of Yesterday)
That old rotten man just touched my knee.
Now my flesh is falling off of me.
Oh, I think I got leprosy.

Suddenly
I'm just half the man I used to be.
There are pieces coming off of me.
Yes, leprosy came suddenly.

Why'd my arm fall off?
I don't know, no one will say.
I know something's wrong,
'cause my leg just walked away (without me.)

Yesterday,
I could always lounge the time away.
Now my bed is in a slimy way,
Oh, leprosy's ruined my day.

Why did I get cursed
with this rot? I need to hide.
I'm sure I'm diseased
for my spleen fell out my side. (ooooohhhh.)

Leprosy
has become a big problem for me.
All my friends now run away from me.
Oh how I hate this leprosy.

You don't have Leprosy. You arm was shot off by a teammate behind when you pushed.

#67 Zoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:42 PM

This is actually a very common misconception. It's really heavies that need to lead the charge, with assaults coming in close behind. They have the armor to withstand a few volleys and the speed to get into cover again if they're taking focus fire.

You want your assaults coming in once you know exactly where the priority targets are so they can take care of them quickly. If you do it right, most of the other team will be shutting down before they can put enough damage into the assault lance to destroy them.

EDIT:

The DWF has 30% more armor than the TBR but the TBR moves about 70% faster. This means the TBR is going to have a much easier time staying alive under focus fire because it can actually avoid some shots.

Edited by Zoid, 10 January 2015 - 08:46 PM.

#68 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:47 PM

Clan Engine-speed-coordination is OP.

Plz Nerf.

All those IS mechs with the different engines and speeds need new Quirks.

Its ruining CW.

THX

#69 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:05 PM

Picked up a Crab and yeah its pretty frustrating.
- Get left behind every time, often with some loudmouth right up front whinging about being spread out, obviously no clue what a top speed of 50 and grinding to a halt on any incline means. If the team is drawn out in a line then slow down! They are at full throttle.
- When you do charge in nobody follows up the rush, I am drawing the whole enemy teams 2 alphas (which is death in about 4 seconds no matter what armor and torso rolling) and they are in overheat, I die, look at the rest of the team and they havent moved, still playing peekaboo from cover. If they had swarmed they could have feasted on the overheated enemy team without getting shot at, but no, that was a waste.
- Get to the group and wait exposed for peekaboo enemy to expose himself. When he does teammates jump out of cover and block my big boom of damage so they can pew-pew 10dmg with 2 small lasers and machine guns. Reflexes become about avoiding shooting teammates in the back with 60dmg (instant light/med death) rather than shooting the enemy.

People need to understand how terrible mobility is. Think of Assaults as a semi mobile turret, you need to bring the fight to them. If they do sacrifice themselves to a charge then you only have a couple of seconds to take advantage of that, if most of the team doesnt follow through it is for nothing.

There should be a mechanic in this game encouraging everyone to pilot all 4 classes so they get a better understanding of what it is like for teammates.
Eg. Master/elite an assault and you unlock 10% armor boost in all classes. Master a light and you unlock 10% speed boost in all classes.
At the moment the game only encourages you to grind 3 of the same mech.

#70 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:13 AM

PUG wise only my AS7-D-DC has ever had any luck with a head on push at the enemy and surviving. My guess is it's the ECM that makes it possible. Especially it's magnetic like force that gets people to follow me around regardless of what I am doing.

#71 L3mming2

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:59 AM

to the opening post i have masterd my KGC-000 i have 430 matches in it (all pugs) and my victory loss ratio in it is 1.5 so i assume i can say (for my build atleast) https://www.mechspec...ac5-xl360.8099/
that the idea of using a high (constant fire) DPS machine with a huge CT that has to face the enemy constantly to keep its guns on target (those guns have a full damage range of over 600m btw) to lead the pouche becous it has 20 ore 30 more armor points on its front torso (with it cant use to torso twist) and on top of that if he stays alive will probably dish out more than 2s the dps of any other mech wile not having to worry about heat is somthing i would declare tacticaly unwise...

the idea that no assaults should use standard engines and all assaults are made for leading the puch and tanking the damage is not always tru.. (its just given a bad name by those lrm boot xl engine atlas "******" builds...)

#72 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:04 AM

View PostL3mming2, on 11 January 2015 - 06:59 AM, said:

to the opening post i have masterd my KGC-000 i have 430 matches in it (all pugs) and my victory loss ratio in it is 1.5 so i assume i can say (for my build atleast) https://www.mechspec...ac5-xl360.8099/
that the idea of using a high (constant fire) DPS machine with a huge CT that has to face the enemy constantly to keep its guns on target (those guns have a full damage range of over 600m btw) to lead the pouche becous it has 20 ore 30 more armor points on its front torso (with it cant use to torso twist) and on top of that if he stays alive will probably dish out more than 2s the dps of any other mech wile not having to worry about heat is somthing i would declare tacticaly unwise...

the idea that no assaults should use standard engines and all assaults are made for leading the puch and tanking the damage is not always tru.. (its just given a bad name by those lrm boot xl engine atlas "******" builds...)
To narrow minded short sighted players it does. But having an LRM50+ I can call on to rain even MORE damage on someone I am brawling is sweet!

#73 Mirumoto Izanami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:10 AM

View PostZoid, on 10 January 2015 - 08:42 PM, said:

This is actually a very common misconception. It's really heavies that need to lead the charge, with assaults coming in close behind. They have the armor to withstand a few volleys and the speed to get into cover again if they're taking focus fire.

You want your assaults coming in once you know exactly where the priority targets are so they can take care of them quickly. If you do it right, most of the other team will be shutting down before they can put enough damage into the assault lance to destroy them.

EDIT:

The DWF has 30% more armor than the TBR but the TBR moves about 70% faster. This means the TBR is going to have a much easier time staying alive under focus fire because it can actually avoid some shots.

AGREED

#74 Sahoj

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunjin
  • 268 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:21 AM

I typically only play my assault mechs when I'm on coms in group queue and my teammates hold the other assault slots so we can move in concert.

Trying to assault-mech in pugs is a headache.

#75 L3mming2

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:57 AM

ps a tactic i have used with my KGC-000 build on alpine peaks in skirmish when you spown on the side where its a gentel slope to the top of the montain (build https://www.mechspec...ac5-xl360.8099/) the other side takes the top rideg first as usual, the team starts extangeing long range fire the other team is rige humping lrm's.. you know the situation.
wat do i do in my 100 ton 64,2 kph 4 UAC5 (390 rounds) mech, i cant rige hump due to low alpha en bulet speed, i'm a prime lrm target, my team is pined down.. i go right and go (wile hugging the mounten flank) all the way around to the steep side to the plase where you can get up the flank of the mountain. (allone) (note; my build is exstreemly good at killing lights the big engine in combination with the good torsionspeed and the 4 UAC5's with chainfire maco let me shoot the legs from under a light running at full speed, somtimes even at a distance of 500 meters its hilarious. it ames a bit like a fire hose with a bullet koming out evry 157ms only when they are with 3 ore more i am in real troble)
now i go up and open up my (if no jam's 31.85 dps) on a enemy mech rear center torso, kill (most times the enemy team has not reacted even by now it has only been 2-4 seconds) take second one same tactic, if u get luky you can even kill him to but they will probably get wats going on by now, you finish the second mech (hope offcorse u dont get a full jam :P) you now retreat a bit back down the slope, here u are coverd from most lrm fire from the top (your weapons are arm monted and can shoot up at very steep angels so in this position if u are a bit lucky some enemy mechs ruch after you get blokt by your mech from desending more thean half and u can shoot your guns at them wile they cant return fire (realy fun to do this :P) they also serve as a shield vs other mechs still on top, then some enemy mechs jump down to flank me from below. in there eagernes to get me they split there team in some on top, some below some dead :)
by now your team (unles they are realy ********, this has not yet hapend to me .. yet) will have seased the opportunity to pouche up the slope overwelming the remaining enemy and having a gr8 position over the enemy in the valy.
in most of the games this pouche came fast enof for me to even survive the game...

"rules" i broke;
going on my own in a assault
flanking in a assault
puting a XL in a 100 ton mech

yet my wins/loss rate in my KGC-000 after 430 maches is 1.5 (i only play pug btw)

just to show there is more than 1 way to victory, and out of frustration vs those players who pouche you to go around a corner with 4 pre ammed mechs w8ing on you and when you then try to back up again cos your 4 uac5's have jamed they are standing right behind your legs so you cant, the frustration ....

Edited by L3mming2, 11 January 2015 - 08:02 AM.

#76 Shatterpoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 358 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:11 AM

Do you actually play assaults? you couldn't bring a 300t beast super mega ultra monster assault to a match without be ***** shitless by 4 lights in a couple of minutes.

In this game weight means nothing, class means nothing, mech means nothing. Let your lights/mediums bait a ******* mech around the corner and then brutalize them with huge weapons, that's what assaults are for here honestly..massive firepower, there is no tank massive enough to tank the lrm spam/AC spam/laser spam from a team focusing it.

You're just asking the assaults on your team to suicide themselves and hopefully soften the enemy enough for you to clean up.
This is not a proper strategy game despite what the CW players will tell you.

Edited by Shatterpoint, 11 January 2015 - 10:45 AM.

#77 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:29 AM

I've been sitting here, reading these posts and going over multiple decades of playing MW games online as well as another decade added to that for BTech and I just can't really remember when Assaults were the front line. Sure, plenty of times when the Assaults BECAME the line, but that was always due to everyone else falling back to them, coordinated feints to draw the enemy into the Assaults, or them being the last ones standing.

Assaults striding out in front of everyone else to be that front line...yeah...no...that's a waste, you just end up with dead Assaults who probably didn't get much damage into the enemy before they were torn apart by long range weapons and Lights playing proctologist.

Now, if you want to use Assaults as a killing line, then you need to coordinate with the entire team to have the Assaults get into position and have the Lights, Mediums and some fast Heavies harass the enemy and lead them INTO that killing line. That's how it actually works in real world tactics and that's what we did in BTech PnP games. Of course, this requires your opponents to NOT have the same plan, which if you are actually facing someone good, means you are both trying to bait the other team and no one's falling for it, which is when you learn that no plan survives first contact with the enemy and having back up plans(multiple, ALWAYS multiple!) and being extremely adaptable to the situation is your best weapon.

Study some battles of WW2, probably the only really big battles you'll find with lots of armored combat, the tactics used at that time are still used today and will probably continue to be used until some really huge paradigm shift alters how armored combat happens. Hells, just look at the tank battles, if you can call them that, in Iraq, see exactly how armored combat works in a more modern setting with missiles that can track and hit targets trying to hide...

In short, OP, before you tell us Assault pilots how to drive our coffins, learn something about tactics, otherwise all you'll get from most of us is a hearty 'kindly shut yer yap' response when you tell us to lead the way.

#78 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:27 AM

Assault mechs are the second ones in, or should be. The faster mechs, need to pile through (and leave the way open for the assault mechs...don't stop fffs), find cover and skirmish while the bigger mechs come in and start pounding, and taking the heat off the faster mechs.
Assault mechs are heavy firesupport for the most part.

Edited by Mavairo, 11 January 2015 - 10:28 AM.

#79 Foxtrot four eight

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:52 AM

Sorry, my assault is not going to draw aggro for you so you lights and mediums can run around and do what you like. I have been abandon too many times by the same guy who say's you assaults should assault. So it ain't gonna happen.

#80 Trashhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:21 PM

Proud owner of 3 King Crabs here.
Playing PuG only.
I am not the biggest fan of Assaults, I am somewhat better in Mediums or Heavies.

My 3 Crab have each a different Layout:
AC/20
U/AC5-Dakka
Gauss-Crab

I will try to push with the AC/20 one, snipe with the Gauss one (while advancing slowly, using cover), and the Dakka Crab for both, depending on the situation (mostly i use it for suppression tho).

If i am going to advance depends on the overall situation:
If my team is not following me, i will hang back, also, because what point is there to advance when no one will follow ?
I sometimes managed to persuade my team to follow my by simply telling them "Follow me if you want to die!", but it often does not get the message.

I think a major problem is, and ever will be, the lack of communication in the PuG games.
You simply can't type as fast as you can talk.
And often enough no one talks. AT. ALL.

From my point of view lack of communication is the biggest problem in PuG games;
followed by lack of a decent (intuitive) UI
and a good tutorial (one that teaches basic tactics).
(And, also, the maps and game-modes)

Disclaimer:
Everything above is just my opinion, based on my personal experiences and preferences.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users