Destructiod Cw Article

141 replies to this topic

#81 Chuck B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 253 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:36 PM

I pretty much agree with the article. While its nice that CW came early (sort of) and its more then I expected from PGI its still an MVP. Two maps, only one of which is "good" (Sulfur)the other is just horrible (Borial). The buggy and incomplete chat/lobby system making it hard to tell weather your in an active or dead planet.making Que time stupid There is no real faction vs faction, Only IS vs Clan. I as a Marik shouldn't be able to defend a Davion planet being attacked by .... hell anyone. or defend a Kuritan Planet from the Clans.. and if I did I shouldn't get Marik loyalty points for those Defense's.. and on the topic of Defense. I loath the amount of (counter)attacking im having to do.. at this point I have counter attacked more then defended while on defense.. WTF!! if I wanted to be the attacker I would have chosen that...Frankly I see CW in its current form and lack of maps (an age old complaint at this time) to get boring really quickly . I'm pretty much over it at this point because of the attacking while que'd to defend issue.

#82 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:01 PM

this guy is going to feel ******** cuz these problems will be fixed in a few months

#83 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:05 PM

View PostTennex, on 17 December 2014 - 06:01 PM, said:

this guy is going to feel ******** cuz these problems will be fixed in a few months

These guys conveniently overlook positive progress, so naw, he won't change his tune.

Has the butthurt forum brigade conceded anything? So why would he?

#84 KharnZor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:07 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 17 December 2014 - 07:05 PM, said:

These guys conveniently overlook positive progress, so naw, he won't change his tune.

Has the butthurt forum brigade conceded anything? So why would he?

They sure do, Bishop Kurita :D

#85 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:19 PM

View PostKharnZor, on 17 December 2014 - 07:07 PM, said:

They sure do, Bishop Kurita :D

I kill you.

#86 Lindonius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:21 PM

Good article.

#87 Lone Ranger

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 5 posts
  • LocationWilliamsburg, VA USA

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:28 PM

View PostVandul, on 17 December 2014 - 12:03 PM, said:

Poorly written and steeped in butthurt angst. .25/10

Actually, the article was well written. More to the point - a lot of people feel this way. Not a few, a lot.

I like the game, like many of you I have played quite a bit, and enjoyed the first opening salvos in CW. I have made some nice friends, had a lot of nice fun games over TS, etc. And we all want this to work.

But the CW mechanics quickly became boring, the lobby insane, and PGI still has this massive map creation failure. They still do not stretch the CryEngine system - hell the old dos-based gaming in Win 3 still had tank farms blowing up, hovercraft and aircraft being shredded and buildings collapsing, but not here with one of the best game engines around. We have limited maps in the normal warfare, and two maps, maybe four in CW - when hundreds are needed . . .? And the continuous use of simple map features to ensure the tactics stay stale and repetitive. No open cities, huge farmlands, no need to develop tactics, flanking and minor objectives. Just the repetitive mountainous area with a few choke points and high ground.

Partly this is because not enough people are playing and paying. I doubt that PGI can afford more than 3 or 4 full time developers on the game. Really can't blame the developers because even really good ones can only do so much with limited resources. But again, that is PGI's own fault in many, if not most ways with an abysmal track record. But lay some blame at the feet of the faithful for insisting they keep to the lore - which may make it impossible to fulfill the dreams of a true MMO game or attract a new breed of player - especially younger - under 40 maybe :<) - more numerous ones.

Great game, some great ideas, nice implementation, but still falling far, far short of current game standards, and a far cry from a tactical and strategic winner in an crowded field of games. And looking at how long it is taking teams to form up in CW, they are already losing the battle to keep revenue coming in. Yes, some will keep playing MWO, even I. But don't expect much more than what we have.

#88 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:51 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 17 December 2014 - 07:19 PM, said:

I kill you.

(don't kill me, plz. unless we're in a match, then you may try)

#89 Alek Ituin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,525 posts
  • LocationMy Lolcust's cockpit

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:58 PM

Heh. I bet this same writer tries to suck Blizzard's d*ck through the internet every time they do so much as wipe their arses with your money.

Despite the fact WoW had the worst launch in the history of gaming. For f**kin reals here, that launch is the standard against with all horribad launches are measured. Blizzard even knew their sh**ty old servers couldn't possibly begin to handle the number of players they had, and didn't care. And yet, "gaming journalists" only sing Blizzard's praises (I've not seen many articles written on WoW that don't, honestly).

Games go through a development process every time something new is added. Bugs crop up, features might not work, and things don't ever go as planned. But they get fixed, just like PGI is going to fix up CW. It might not look like much now, but it'll probably turn out great once it's ironed out.

Edited by Alek Ituin, 17 December 2014 - 09:59 PM.

#90 Lindonius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:07 PM

View PostLone Ranger, on 17 December 2014 - 09:28 PM, said:

Actually, the article was well written. More to the point - a lot of people feel this way. Not a few, a lot.

I like the game, like many of you I have played quite a bit, and enjoyed the first opening salvos in CW. I have made some nice friends, had a lot of nice fun games over TS, etc. And we all want this to work.

But the CW mechanics quickly became boring, the lobby insane, and PGI still has this massive map creation failure. They still do not stretch the CryEngine system - hell the old dos-based gaming in Win 3 still had tank farms blowing up, hovercraft and aircraft being shredded and buildings collapsing, but not here with one of the best game engines around. We have limited maps in the normal warfare, and two maps, maybe four in CW - when hundreds are needed . . .? And the continuous use of simple map features to ensure the tactics stay stale and repetitive. No open cities, huge farmlands, no need to develop tactics, flanking and minor objectives. Just the repetitive mountainous area with a few choke points and high ground.

Partly this is because not enough people are playing and paying. I doubt that PGI can afford more than 3 or 4 full time developers on the game. Really can't blame the developers because even really good ones can only do so much with limited resources. But again, that is PGI's own fault in many, if not most ways with an abysmal track record. But lay some blame at the feet of the faithful for insisting they keep to the lore - which may make it impossible to fulfill the dreams of a true MMO game or attract a new breed of player - especially younger - under 40 maybe :<) - more numerous ones.

Great game, some great ideas, nice implementation, but still falling far, far short of current game standards, and a far cry from a tactical and strategic winner in an crowded field of games. And looking at how long it is taking teams to form up in CW, they are already losing the battle to keep revenue coming in. Yes, some will keep playing MWO, even I. But don't expect much more than what we have.

Good post. I suspect that the main reason for the sudden upturn in developmental progress is due to the epic fail of Transverse. MWO is now PGI's only bread winner and they've realised they now have to put up or shut up. They're visibly trying to do so but for most of the old guard it's too little, too late.

The article pretty much sums up how most level headed BT fans feel about the whole MWO saga, and I'd like to suggest that most of the negative reactions in this thread are knee jerk reactions from players who are perhaps a little too emotionally and financially invested in the game to be able to accept the truth.

Edited by Lindonius, 17 December 2014 - 10:13 PM.

#91 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:02 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 17 December 2014 - 07:19 PM, said:

I kill you.

I bit my tongue for days, it had to happen lol :P

#92 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:21 AM

Posted Image

#93 The Boz

• 1,317 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:15 AM

Sad article is sad.

#94 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:51 AM

Well, thats why i give acrab about what all those news pahges write, they mostly write nonsense that even is wrong or just probably coming up in their mind. Objective written articles hardly exist anymore, and so most are worthless. The only way to figure the truth out is to test the stuff on your own.

#95 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:44 AM

That's not an article. That's just one of the many posts ripped out from the MWO forums and pasted on that website. :lol:

#96 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:53 AM

Huh...I always wondered what Vass did for his "day job". Now we know. ;)

#97 Tolkien

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:58 AM

The article makes some good points, but to be fair to PGI it has only been 2 years of delays, not 3. PGI had told us CW was coming 5 different times over that two year window and while I'm glad it's finally out the current state is a big letdown. Exactly as the author of that article says - disappointing.

I'm not bothered at all by having to pick a house, but like the author I am very bothered by all the roadblocks between playing with your friends of the same faction or side of the invasion who just happen to be spread over 4 or 5 different units. Want to fight against the clans? Well you can't do that unless you're in the same unit... not just the same faction, the same unit. Want to join a unit? Well you need a contract... wrong contract length, can't join unit....

Additionally the lack of drop lobbies is inexcusable - we have to guess where action is happening, sync drop with/against our friends and *hope* we get a match against them within the coming hour!?

I hope PGI does the right thing and puts in planetary drop lobbies like we had back in 2001, and lets us basically have control over our own matches and events. What are they afraid of? That we will farm a soft currency in a game where you can't transfer soft currency between players? Seeing them make the same mistakes again and again since 2012 is disheartening.

For some reason they seem to keep putting up roadblocks to communities/teams that have existed for decades running events. First with having to sync drop to run them, then with Pay2Lobby, now back to sync drop to run them in CW.

Edited by Tolkien, 18 December 2014 - 08:34 AM.

#98 Axeface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 655 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:07 AM

Absolute truth.
I didnt back this game, but if I had...
The people that backed and are happy with what has happened over the years... I... just... don't... understand.

"It's in beta guys!! It's gonna be so amazing just you wait, but while you wait, heres another mech pack and a cockpit doll!"

Edited by Axeface, 18 December 2014 - 07:11 AM.

#99 Logan Hawke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 504 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:23 AM

As long as positive progress keeps being made I'll come along for the ride, and vice versa. It's why I left right after the Pheonix pack got released and came back after the clans were released.

PGI is still not very good at this and have more learning to do, but they have a number of good guys trying hard in their crew so I don't have any hard feelings anymore now that they're visibly working and making progress.

#100 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:27 AM

your blog sucks

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users