Destructiod Cw Article

141 replies to this topic

#121 TehSBGX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 911 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:24 PM

Sooooo am I the only guy here that thought the article was just meh?

#122 KharnZor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:40 PM

View PostTehSBGX, on 18 December 2014 - 05:24 PM, said:

Sooooo am I the only guy here that thought the article was just meh?

Its good food and ammo for the haters tho eh

#123 Rhaegor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 301 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL, USA

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:44 PM

CW is awesome.

#124 R Razor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:48 PM

View PostRhaegor, on 18 December 2014 - 05:44 PM, said:

CW is awesome. CW has the potential to be awesome once some balance issues on both the map and the mechs involved are resolved and the ability to win easily is removed and actual tactics become a requirement.

Fixed that for ya.

#125 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:04 PM

View PostLindonius, on 18 December 2014 - 03:18 PM, said:

I think it's too late though. Thinking about demographics, non-battlech fans.....There were quite a number of them around during closed beta who just liked stompy robots = gone. Casual BT fans, people aware of the franchise, probably played the previous games but not really hung up on the IP = gone. Islanders, big BT fans who have stopped supporting the game due to PGI's development issues and awful community management = these are the ones that might come back if PGI really do pull their collective fingers out. And finally we have the obsessive hardcore fans, who will lap up anything with the BT label on it, regardless of quality. These are the guys who have kept this game alive so far, but they're not enough to maintain it forever.

So the Islanders might come back but that's it. The quality of the product isn't good enough yet to float on steam if they want new players, and I don't think the hardcore Gold's and the trickle of returnees will be enough to keep it alive.

What's this you say...... new mech pack out.... "shut up and just take my money PGI!" :ph34r: :lol:

#126 Leconte

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:38 PM

View PostRhaegor, on 18 December 2014 - 05:44 PM, said:

CW is awesome.

I'll agree when the best strategy to win isn't "Ignore enemy, tunnel vision to generator"

#127 Lone Ranger

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 5 posts
  • LocationWilliamsburg, VA USA

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:52 PM

View PostLeconte, on 18 December 2014 - 06:38 PM, said:

I'll agree when the best strategy to win isn't "Ignore enemy, tunnel vision to generator"

Pretty much says it all.

Give me maps, maps, more maps, large maps, city maps, large prairies, rolling hills, forests, swamps, on a scale at least two to three times what they have been producing. Make me work for the tactics, not recreate the same thing over and over again.

#128 doKtor kALT

• PipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 31 posts
  • LocationSteel City

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:15 PM

View PostKharnZor, on 18 December 2014 - 05:40 PM, said:

Its good food and ammo for the haters tho eh

I'd argue that it is more of a realistic article when looking at the current state of MWO. But some of his comments were simply him being a ****, i agree on that.

What people seem to misunderstand is, that it is PGI which needs to redeem themselves and not the journalists, which have to "waste" their time with checking out the game.
The game simply does not offer enough content in the gameplay department, most specifically, good maps, proper gamemodes for example, nor does the technical base live nowhere close to a CryEngine 3 product up.

I still want to like this game and play it more, but there are so many things wrong, while the cash shop asks for absurd amounts of money, if you want to choose to support the developer, that i'd rather spend my time differently.

#129 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:42 PM

Normally, when I look for a review, I like to read something that actually reviews something.

Writing about past mistakes is all well and good, but 90% of that article was the author whining them into a coat he could wear. After reading it all I had was a sense that the writer had fashioned himself a nice coat of "**** reviewer trying to get internet points from bitter people +4".

#130 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:25 PM

This one sure got places.

http://www.pcgamer.c...tical-mech-sim/

I'll just leave this here.

#131 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:30 PM

View Postelismallz, on 17 December 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

That article taught me what it feels like to be a petulant child.

Yea, agreed

wasn't so much a review as it was an opinion piece

#132 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:34 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 19 December 2014 - 12:25 PM, said:

And this relevant how?

Oh, I'm sorry... I didn't see how you were attempting to continue the castigation over past transgressions... :rolleyes:

I'm beginning to think you're a woman...

No man is capable of clinging to being wronged for this length of time and still be incapable of forgiving or forgetting. :huh:

Edited by DaZur, 19 December 2014 - 12:41 PM.

#133 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:18 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 19 December 2014 - 12:25 PM, said:

I'll just leave this here
Posted Image

#134 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:29 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 17 December 2014 - 04:33 PM, said:

While I generally have fun playing MWO, I can't help but agree with most of what was said in the article. Honestly I was expecting a hell of alot more from CW. Part of the reason I thought they kept delaying and delaying was because they were legitimately working on this amazing new game addition that was just going to knock our socks off complete with dozens of maps and a real, living battlefield type of feeling. However what we got here really seems like something that any competent developer could have put out in two month, especially consider the core game has already been in place for a long, long time. Honestly what we have, isn't 2-3 years worth of effort guys, not by a long shot and your fooling yourself if you believe PGI actually put a major effort into this.

Except that PGI didn't spend 2-3 years on this. They spent exactly as long as you mentioned, a few months. I don't think anyone has claimed otherwise.

The rest of the two years were taken up with necessary and heavily demanded precursors to CW, not CW itself.

This includes stability, performance, UI2.0, private matches, unit creation, the balance problems we were constantly ragging about, new matchmakers, Clans, rewards system, quirk system, bugs galore, DX11, backend support systems like the test servers, non-rendering game version, and internal telemetry tools, reconnect feature, 64-bit client, and constant maintenance on mechs and maps, as well as a few targets of opportunity like TrackIR, AMS/ECM toggle, and new modules.

So there has been plenty of work going on.

And while you might argue that CW deserved priority, practically everything on that list was highly demanded by different sections of the community. I mean, good luck arguing that any of that should have been second fiddle to making sure the basic gameplay worked properly.

It's a sophistry to suggest that CW took two years to code. The foundational gameplay, infrastructure, and stabilization were what took two years.

Edited by Rebas Kradd, 19 December 2014 - 01:30 PM.

#135 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:38 PM

The article isn’t an article, it’s clearly an editorial. The author is making no attempt to disguise his personal bias and shouldn't be held to any greater standards of objectivity than any random thread on this forum. On the flip side, it also shouldn't really have any more weight or impact than any random thread on this forum, either. Just ignore it.

I honestly fail to see the point in threads like this any more. One side sees, plain as day, that Piranha are a bunch of hucksters and vaporware pushers who’ve consistently, for years, failed to deliver on their promises only to finally implement a p!ss-poor excuse for CW, and can’t understand why anyone would defend what they see as being a blatantly, blind-deaf-dumb obvious example of a shoddy developer mangling a beloved franchise for a quick buck.

The other side sees a developer strapped for resources and inexperienced in their new field, forced to make it up as they go along. One which had, for years, been saddled with a pushy publisher that didn’t understand the property, the fanbase, or really much of anything except how to squeeze maximum short-term dollars out of a project they didn’t really like. They can’t understand why the crusty old “THREE YEARS AGO” codgers can’t see how much Piranha’s changed their tune in recent months or figure out why said codgers would rather torpedo the franchise altogether, watch it burn and die, than let go of their outdated, increasingly irrelevant grudge against Ye Olde Piranha.

Which side you’re on doesn’t matter anymore. Neither side is ever going to be able to sway the minds of the other. All it does is incite nasty arguments, name-calling, and shenanigans that nobody needs or wants. At this point, there’s really only one thing to ask yourself.

Do you want to play MechWarrior or hate Piranha?

If you’re truly unprepared to forgive Piranha for its previous sins, then put your dollars where your discontent is and leave. I did, for a while, back in the darkest days of 2013. Told Piranha outright that they could take their Saber Reinforcements pack and stick it up their bums, and left the game cold and unplayed for upwards of four months, until the company started showing me it was worthy of my attention again. Do that. Just leave for a while. Russ has specifically told folks that he totally understands if they can’t find it in their hearts to keep supporting Piranha after the Dark Days. Russ gets it, I get it, everybody gets it.

But if you’re still here? Still playing, still trying? Then clearly Piranha’s not so unforgiveable as all that after all. Play, enjoy, and when you come on the forums to blarch about how horrible a developer Piranha is and how much more amazing MWO could be if a proper developer had gotten ahold of it instead, just remember – ‘proper developers’ didn’t want MechWarrior, proper publishers turned it down over and over again, the industry at large considered it a dead franchise.

I’m back in the saddle, thanks to Piranha. We have our differences – I hate their monetization model even as I constantly fall prey to it – but they brought my game back. What else is there to really say?

Edited by 1453 R, 19 December 2014 - 01:39 PM.

#136 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:46 PM

I'm just going to leave this here:

Posted Image

#137 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:00 PM

View PostKharnZor, on 19 December 2014 - 01:18 PM, said:

I'll just leave this here
Posted Image

I seriously just shot Rockstar out my nose laughing... You owe me a keyboard! :lol:

#138 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:12 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 17 December 2014 - 10:30 AM, said:

Time to use PGI's favorite phrase--It is still in BETA!

I think the CW launch is going pretty well. That being said:

I wonder if the operators of these online games actually think anyone believes them about the beta thing. If you are accepting people's money, the game is launched. You can put "beta" on as many website graphics as you want.

Similarly, if you've pushed a patch to your live servers, it is obviously not in testing. You can say, "Hey, this isn't where we really want it to be in terms of quality, but we think you'd like it now rather than later. Please pardon the mess for the time being." Maybe the players will accept that, and maybe they won't. But you can't call it beta and be taken seriously. It is, by definition, false.

Edited by Felio, 19 December 2014 - 02:13 PM.

#139 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:16 PM

View PostFelio, on 19 December 2014 - 02:12 PM, said:

I think the CW launch is going pretty well. That being said: I wonder if the operators of these online games actually think anyone believes them about the beta thing. If you are accepting people's money, the game is launched. You can put "beta" on as many website graphics as you want. Similarly, if you've pushed a patch to your live servers, it is obviously not in testing. You can say, "Hey, this isn't where we really want it to be in terms of quality, but we think you'd like it now rather than later. Please pardon the mess for the time being." Maybe the players will accept that, and maybe they won't. But you can't call it beta and be taken seriously. It is, by definition, false.

That's not true. Components of a product can clearly be labeled as Beta, even if the product overall is live. Blender does this all the time, having features that are clearly identified as Experimental (aka Beta).

Edited by Heffay, 19 December 2014 - 02:17 PM.

#140 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:28 PM

View PostHeffay, on 19 December 2014 - 02:16 PM, said:

That's not true. Components of a product can clearly be labeled as Beta, even if the product overall is live. Blender does this all the time, having features that are clearly identified as Experimental (aka Beta).

I don't know anything about Blender, but experimental does not mean the same thing as beta.

Nvidia, for example, has beta drivers. You can download them if you want to, but you can also get the latest full release, and you are encouraged to do so.

There is no client we can download to run a previous version of the game. Even if we personally don't queue for CW mode, parts of it are integrated with the UI and other systems, and it is an inseparable part of the commercially released product.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users