Ultimate Mech Discussion Thread

BattleMech Balance

20517 replies to this topic

#1321 Norris J Packard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

View PostMaverick01, on 24 December 2012 - 08:15 AM, said:

Will Santa Claus bring BattleMech 20 tomorrow?

Anyways, the Zeus would be the best choce for the next assault mech for MWO (fan favorite, awesome design, very iconic mech and many variants). The Banshee on the other hand has awful variants and is too similar to the Atlas. I would argue it SHOULD NOT be picked solely to fill the tonnage gap at 95 tons.

Posted Image

Ya, because what we really need after just having the Orion announced is its 5-ton heavier older brother.

No thanks - I'd like more variety and something that wasn't 80 tons.

#1322 Kargush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 973 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:03 AM

View PostSovietKoshka, on 24 December 2012 - 11:27 PM, said:

CRAB MECH!

4 reasons
1: Looks Beast!
2: Plays Beast!
3: Has over 3 Variants!
4: REPRODUCTION RESTARTS IN 3050!!!!!!!!!!

The Crab is uglier than I am.

Which is saying something about how ugly it is.

#1323 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:17 AM

We really, really need proper medium mechs. Faster ones, with jump jets. The current crop of Mediums is kind of bizarre, given we have none with JJ at all, but we've got not one but two Heavies with them.

#1324 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 25 December 2012 - 06:17 AM, said:

We really, really need proper medium mechs. Faster ones, with jump jets. The current crop of Mediums is kind of bizarre, given we have none with JJ at all, but we've got not one but two Heavies with them.

Cicada and Trebuchet both have jump capable variants (EDIT: Odanan reminds us that the Blackjack has them, too!). Also, CN9-D and a few other medium variants (mostly Trenchbucket and Cicada again,) can get up to really high speeds.

Edited by Jack Gallows, 25 December 2012 - 12:04 PM.

#1325 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

View PostJack Gallows, on 25 December 2012 - 09:55 AM, said:

Cicada and Trebuchet both have jump capable variants. Also, CN9-D and a few other medium variants (mostly Trenchbucket and Cicada again,) can get up to really high speeds.

Blackjack anyone?

#1326 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

(it's not fast but it's a natural jumper)

#1327 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

Ah yeah, forgot the Blackjack. Good catch, Odanan!

#1328 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

View PostJack Gallows, on 25 December 2012 - 09:55 AM, said:

Cicada and Trebuchet both have jump capable variants (EDIT: Odanan reminds us that the Blackjack has them, too!). Also, CN9-D and a few other medium variants (mostly Trenchbucket and Cicada again,) can get up to really high speeds.

What, which Cicada can mount Jump Jets? I don't see any with them in the MechLab, and the various tools don't show any of them as jump capable.

There are *lots* of Mediums in BT with jump jets. That's why I think it's so strange that none of our mediums have them. I expect us to get some (such as the Trebuchet) in the future, but I'm definitely of the opinion that it's pretty baffling that we have more Heavies with jump jets than Mediums. It's just plain wierd.

#1329 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 25 December 2012 - 01:15 PM, said:

What, which Cicada can mount Jump Jets? I don't see any with them in the MechLab, and the various tools don't show any of them as jump capable.

That variant's not in the game.

Still wishing for a Vindicator, but it will be a looong wait until the next medium announcement.

#1330 Phoenix Branson

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

The UrbanMech is one of the most cost-effective BattleMechs in the BattleTech Universe as they pack a punch and are ridiculously cheap. I hope we see the concept art announced for this beloved mech before the clans arrive...

Do you believe there will be another round of Inner Sphere BattleMechs after BattleMech 20? Rollin' the dice!

Posted Image

Edited by Maverick01, 25 December 2012 - 01:53 PM.

#1331 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

View PostAdridos, on 25 December 2012 - 01:26 PM, said:

That variant's not in the game.

Still wishing for a Vindicator, but it will be a looong wait until the next medium announcement.

See, this is what I'm saying. My whole point is that it's bizarre that none of the Medium mechs in the game have jump jets but there are a couple Heavy chassis' with them, when in general Medium mechs have JJ's far, far often than Heavies do.

I would have expected, in the early set of mechs, that most of the mediums chosen would feature JJ's on at least one of their variants.

Edited by Wintersdark, 25 December 2012 - 02:01 PM.

#1332 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

Guess it shows how little I even play the Cicada. They'll add more variants in later, and it'll get the one with jump jets most likely. It still leaves both the Trebuchet and Blackjack able to jump, bringing the amount of jump capable 'mechs even except for Assaults. Centurion can't jump, nor can the Hunchback and those are you big hitters. Blackjack and Trebuchet for fast moving mediums. Diversity is the name of the game, every medium with jump jets, while nice, isn't required.

Besides, most of the good mediums that can jump are unseen/reseen, and no matter how much I love the Wolverine as my medium of choice, it's just probably not going to happen. I don't see them tackling the Reseen for a long time, if ever. I also don't expect to see many more Inner Sphere 'mechs before the Clans hit, still have to get the ones announced now in game.

'Mechs not in game: Highlander, Orion, Blackjack, Flea, Trebuchet, Jagermech, Spider, Unamed Assault number 5 (HATAMOTOOOOOOO!!). That's eight months of Battlemech releases if they stick to one 'mech a month (Spider in Jan, woop!) which means that'll take us directly into the Clans invading in earnest.They might/probably will bump their timetable up so that we've got a few months of actual live game before the Clans, but I expect that this is probably going to be it for IS 'mechs so they can focus on the Clans and their implementation. They have Sixteen Omnimechs to pump out when that happens (which I'm willing to bet they're already working on, in one stage or another right now,) assuming they're going to have all the base 3050 Omnis in game. Don't see them padding that with second line units.

That's a LOT of work, which is part of why I don't really expect to see any more IS releases, and if we do I bet it'll be slowed down DRASTICALLY. Which would be fine, we've got a good core amount of machines as is I feel.

Edited by Jack Gallows, 25 December 2012 - 02:10 PM.

#1333 Herodes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 340 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

This game absolutely needs more Crab and especially King Crab. I don't care about construction rules and restrictions. I just want my King Crab.
:D

#1334 Ens

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted Image

Edited by Ens, 25 December 2012 - 04:55 PM.

#1335 Lagfest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 362 posts
  • LocationIn a Mech

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

I'm making the call now:

1st place goes to: Devastator!
Posted Image
2 Guass, 2 PPC, 4 ML, 54kph

2nd place goes to: Rampage!
Posted Image
1 LBX/10, 1 LPL, 1 LRM 10 w/artimis, 3 SSRM/2, 2 ML, 1 Flamer, AMS 64 Kph (84 + MASC)

Edited by Lagfest, 25 December 2012 - 05:36 PM.

#1336 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:54 AM

View PostLagfest, on 25 December 2012 - 05:35 PM, said:

I'm making the call now:

1st place goes to: Devastator!

2 Guass, 2 PPC, 4 ML, 54kph

2nd place goes to: Rampage!

1 LBX/10, 1 LPL, 1 LRM 10 w/artimis, 3 SSRM/2, 2 ML, 1 Flamer, AMS 64 Kph (84 + MASC)

No and no.

While Devastator is time-wise, all its 3 variants are the same thing and it's just too good for MWO (it would make obsolete the Atlas and the Awesome).

The Rampage is not produced for centuries.

#1337 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:58 AM

View PostHerodes, on 25 December 2012 - 02:28 PM, said:

This game absolutely needs more Crab and especially King Crab. I don't care about construction rules and restrictions. I just want my King Crab.
:)

"Daddy I want a Squirrel"

Edited by Odanan, 26 December 2012 - 01:59 AM.

#1338 Herodes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 340 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:21 AM

King Crab is the coolest looking thing in the BT universe, it has the variants, it is different from the others .... I love it, I want it.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I will pay good Posted Image Posted Image for my King Crab in the game.

Edited by Herodes, 26 December 2012 - 04:23 AM.

#1339 Kain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationZenith-Jumppoint, Tukayyid

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:42 AM

View PostMaverick01, on 25 December 2012 - 01:40 PM, said:

The UrbanMech is one of the most cost-effective BattleMechs in the BattleTech Universe as they pack a punch and are ridiculously cheap. I hope we see the concept art announced for this beloved mech before the clans arrive...

I think if they made it only as a hero mech, PGI could earn a lot of MCs just because people wants to troll and to have fun with it, (8v8 urbanmech tournaments etc. :-))

and they already have the rough 3d model from the bobblehead...

Edited by Kain, 26 December 2012 - 04:43 AM.

#1340 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:15 AM

View PostThontor, on 24 December 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

So how would MWO's reticle system work with one arm having a lower arm actuator and weapons, and the other not having a lower arm actuator?

I may just be crazy, but I'd go for an additional targeting reticle. One for the AC/20, one for the lasers, and one for the torso. It'd be complicated, but I'd be up for that challenge.

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users