#16441 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:24 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 23 May 2017 - 05:55 PM, said:

What makes you think it has chances? I am asking because I want it to have chances... The Spartan is my number two assault (after the Fafnir) and it fits my wish for a cavalry Mech. Also I have a soft spot for those rare, almost museum piece-like relics of the Star League. It is one of the Mechs I would buy with real money without hesitation.

It's a mech with good variants, interesting looks, and fills a role (cavalry assault) we don't have in the IS at the moment (same role the Charger would fit, so we probably can't have both).

The drawbacks are: it's very rare (not much of a problem because King Crab and Annihilator are equally rare) and quite unknown mech (wasn't in any basic box or videogame).

#16442 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:33 PM

View PostOdanan, on 23 May 2017 - 06:24 PM, said:

It's a mech with good variants, interesting looks, and fills a role (cavalry assault) we don't have in the IS at the moment (same role the Charger would fit, so we probably can't have both).

The drawbacks are: it's very rare (not much of a problem because King Crab and Annihilator are equally rare) and quite unknown mech (wasn't in any basic box or videogame).

Variants are pretty much the same across the board, but other than that I agree. I would like to point out that its rarity - it is even rarer than King Crab and Annihilator - is a virtue in my book. You are part of an a truly small group of privileged people allowed to ride this precious relic of a better time. There are only 12 of them in the ComGuard, 7 in the WoBM, and half a dozen others in extremely lucky Merc commands. And you can be one of them.

#16443 MightyBolamite

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:12 PM

Question: is it okay to start pulling Mechs from TRO: 3067 for speculation?

#16444 Virlutris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:43 PM

View PostMightyBolamite, on 23 May 2017 - 08:12 PM, said:

Question: is it okay to start pulling Mechs from TRO: 3067 for speculation?

That might be a jump too far, just yet. We haven't quite gotten 3060 yet, technically ...

Edit:
Then again, rampant speculation is what internet forums are for. Why not?

Edited by Virlutris, 23 May 2017 - 08:52 PM.

#16445 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:00 PM

View PostVirlutris, on 23 May 2017 - 08:43 PM, said:

That might be a jump too far, just yet. We haven't quite gotten 3060 yet, technically ...

Edit:
Then again, rampant speculation is what internet forums are for. Why not?

The uzl and the 90t is Mech that looks like a turkey are from the tro 3067.
But i expect they make it safe and stick with the mw4 mit chs

#16446 Virlutris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:01 PM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 23 May 2017 - 09:00 PM, said:

The uzl and the 90t is Mech that looks like a turkey are from the tro 3067.
But i expect they make it safe and stick with the mw4 mit chs

My inferior knowledge of lore is hereby acknowledged and corrected.

#mistakesweremade

#16447 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:03 PM

View PostVirlutris, on 23 May 2017 - 09:01 PM, said:

My inferior knowledge of lore is heresy

Ftfy
:-)

#16448 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:18 PM

What makes you think it has chances? I am asking because I want it to have chances... The Spartan is my number two assault (after the Fafnir) and it fits my wish for a cavalry Mech. Also I have a soft spot for those rare, almost museum piece-like relics of the Star League. It is one of the Mechs I would buy with real money without hesitation.

One of its (few) pilots also had a role in the FCCW, Precentor Dag Kesselring. He commanded the 66th Division and died fighting Peter Steiner-Davion’s forces on Tharkad. Unlike the pilots of..., well you know already. Posted Image

To make it work in MWO, however, PGI needs to give it a good agility. This Mech depends on its mobility, at least it should, running down lighter foes and escaping equals. With good agility, the Spartan would be a credible threat on the battlefield. It would not be a game changer, but quite alright in the hands of a cavalryman.

To some extent, you can try it out with the Zeus already. And until we get the Spartan, the new Zeus hero will be my assault cavalry Mech. (Which was graciously gifted to me! Thanks for that!)

Um, yeah, as I said, it is my favourite Mech. I know about its variants, and having four canonic variants – albeit without much variety – is a good thing. Also we have a fully canonical hero with a crucial role in the FCCW: Precentor Raymond Irelon. If it had not been for him and his 244th Division defecting to Victor, the civil war would have ended in his first battle. Sure, he likely piloted a stock Excalibur (though this was never confirmed), but that does not stop PGI anyway. (And before you say it, of course I know about Cernunnos).

Besides lore, the Excalibur would finally offer an IS 70ton Mech with a 5/8-movement, i.e. 81 kph stock speed. It definitely brings something new to the table, especially if you are willing to use the high speeds. With the new weaponry, it can work. (Though it does have to be mentioned that it will not be capable of carrying an AC/20 unless PGI removes an actuator).
I always wanted to use a combination of UAC/10 and HPPC with rocket backup. I am pretty sure I could terrorize some players with that. Heck, I would even try out and LGR for maximum skirmishing.

The point is that one needs to be realistic, especially when it comes to your favourite Mech. I thought if someone understood to review a Mech level-headed despite fandom, it would be you. Posted Image
In TT games, the Excalibur is a killer if you can keep the distance. In MWO however, lots of factors are stacked against it, unfortunately so. If we are to push the envelope for the IS, the Excalibur would need mighty quirks. I do not like to say it, but there are currently better choices even in the cavalry Mech department.

But again, it is my favourite. I know it in and out, and I would buy it at once. I am just not campaigning hard for it, nor do I overestimate what it can do in MWO.

Ah thanks, you know how to keep your allies close. Posted Image

The funny thing is I actually do like it. My favorite in game mech is the Wubshee and so an 80t version would be welcome. :)

#16449 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:27 AM

To make it work in MWO, however, PGI needs to give it a good agility. This Mech depends on its mobility, at least it should, running down lighter foes and escaping equals. With good agility, the Spartan would be a credible threat on the battlefield. It would not be a game changer, but quite alright in the hands of a cavalryman.

Its the IS version of the Gargoyle - that guy is as mobile as some medium mechs and it need that mobility - because its already armed like them.
Maybe you should consider to drop the 400XL towards a 365-375 Light - with ES it would be able to mount 26tons of equipment.
Although builds would be hard....with 2 missile slots in the CT. Streak SRM4 at best - better to ignore and stay full energy.
maybe HPPC backed up by 3 Medium Pulse Laser - not much.

#16450 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:28 AM

View PostOdanan, on 23 May 2017 - 02:15 PM, said:

Well, the Phantom is ultra fast and has ECM, but I agree it doesn't offer many build options besides (small) boating of ER SLas or ER MLas.

Spoiler

When I look at these available stock variants, I see a heavier version of the IS Locust and want it even more. If they gave the variants with low amounts of hard points (I'm thinking of the Prime variant) some duration and heat gen quirks like a few of the IS lights have, that would be all the help it would potentially need. I don't have a TRO to check where exactly all the hard points are on each variant, but I would assume that a missile boat is an option on it as well if you mix and match omnipods. Post Skill Tree, the extra critical damage makes SRM variants look much more attractive. Its awesome speed will also help its survivability and I would love to have something like this running around in Scouting matches to run circles around the heavier IS mediums and counter the dam ECM Griffins.

Edited by SuperFunkTron, 24 May 2017 - 04:47 AM.

#16451 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:42 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 23 May 2017 - 10:18 PM, said:

The funny thing is I actually do like it. My favorite in game mech is the Wubshee and so an 80t version would be welcome. Posted Image

Well, the Spartan will be a fun Mech for some, and frustrating for others.

I just have a soft spot for it, and always had. It is a TRO:3058 Mech but it was actually introduced in Rhonda's Irregulars some years before that. When I saw it first I thought "this is what the Charger could/should have been".

It is curious that this Mech, despite its extremely low numbers, soldiered on. All 19 Spartans survived the Battle of Tukayyid, and it seems they were important enough to receive upgrades.
And since the Mech was held in extremely high regards by its owners, I think it is likely that there were other, unofficial modifications. That's a good basis for a hero Mech, especially as we know that Dag Kesselring was a bit of an eccentric man.

View PostKarl Streiger, on 24 May 2017 - 01:27 AM, said:

Its the IS version of the Gargoyle - that guy is as mobile as some medium mechs and it need that mobility - because its already armed like them.
Maybe you should consider to drop the 400XL towards a 365-375 Light - with ES it would be able to mount 26tons of equipment.
Although builds would be hard....with 2 missile slots in the CT. Streak SRM4 at best - better to ignore and stay full energy.
maybe HPPC backed up by 3 Medium Pulse Laser - not much.

Given that even standard Zeus variants can push the engine to the 390 rating, I would not go any lower with the Spartan. I'd probably go 395 or even stick with the 400. Obviously it will be undergunned doing so, but I do not see any other point in the Spartan but its speed and agility.

It needs a lot of tinkering especially with the new weapons, but I have ideas already like an XL400, LFF (near max, one arm stripped), 1x HPPC, 3x LPPC, and 2x SRM2.

#16452 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:44 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 24 May 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

Well, the Spartan will be a fun Mech for some, and frustrating for others.

I just have a soft spot for it, and always had. It is a TRO:3058 Mech but it was actually introduced in Rhonda's Irregulars some years before that. When I saw it first I thought "this is what the Charger could/should have been".

It is curious that this Mech, despite its extremely low numbers, soldiered on. All 19 Spartans survived the Battle of Tukayyid, and it seems they were important enough to receive upgrades.
And since the Mech was held in extremely high regards by its owners, I think it is likely that there were other, unofficial modifications. That's a good basis for a hero Mech, especially as we know that Dag Kesselring was a bit of an eccentric man.

Given that even standard Zeus variants can push the engine to the 390 rating, I would not go any lower with the Spartan. I'd probably go 395 or even stick with the 400. Obviously it will be undergunned doing so, but I do not see any other point in the Spartan but its speed and agility.

It needs a lot of tinkering especially with the new weapons, but I have ideas already like an XL400, LFF (near max, one arm stripped), 1x HPPC, 3x LPPC, and 2x SRM2.

I think the only thing that bothers me about the Spartan is it mounts the missiles in the CT. I do see potential for good hitboxes and first rate shield arms. It's body shape would also do well with volumetrics so it'd likely appear smaller than the Charger would with it's boxiness.

The Charger offers more build options but the Spartan would have better hitboxes/shield arms and volumetrics plus it looks more unique.

#16453 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:14 PM

I know what you mean. If the missiles were ST mounted we could go for MRM, and get hardpoint inflation. And hardpoint inflation is actually another problem. You cannot give it more missile hardpoints, for it has two in the CT already. Also adding more energy hardpoints to that one arm is rather pointless. And both ERPPC and TAG are in the LT, which means only one or two additional hardpoints there. In the end, I guess hardpoint inflation will be minor.
But due to the new weapons that should be not a great problem.

Geometry, I agree, is quite good. That left arm is literally a shield arm but you have to keep an eye on your right arm.

PGI would have to create some variants, though. There can be one based on the SPT-N3, replacing the C3i with something (ECM?); and the Mech is almost begging for MASC in another variant. Also a SW-era downgrade is possible (and quite canonical actually) with a 320 STD engine and perhaps an AC/5 instead of the PPC, ML instead of MPL, and so on.
And then the hero, Dag Kesselring. Although he was with ComStar, he was also Lyran to the bone and had good relations with the Royal Guards. I think it is likely that he got some Lyran hightech to pimp his Mech, like the HGR or a UAC/20 and a light engine. Of course this means lowering the engine's rating, but then Kesselring was perhaps more about piloting a rarity than adhering to the design philosophy of the Mech.

Just some blue-sky thinking. Posted Image

Edited by FLG 01, 24 May 2017 - 07:15 PM.

#16454 Metalaxe

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:08 AM

Yo this is Metalaxe of 502nd just showing off some fun matchs we have are unit. enjoy.

#16455 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:15 AM

View PostMetalaxe, on 25 May 2017 - 08:08 AM, said:

Yo this is Metalaxe of 502nd just showing off some fun matchs we have are unit. enjoy.

Might want to have this moved to Fan creation section....

#16456 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:55 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 25 May 2017 - 08:15 AM, said:

Might want to have this moved to Fan creation section....

Hey, we have an open borders policy here!
Except well, when there is music of dubious quality involved. Oh.

(don't mind the moderator working in the background. He is totally NOT moving the post to the K-Town Fan Creation section) Posted Image

Edited by Odanan, 25 May 2017 - 08:56 AM.

#16457 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:44 PM

View PostOdanan, on 25 May 2017 - 08:55 AM, said:

Hey, we have an open borders policy here!

Stop reading right there!
Wooo, Scorpion! I, basically, took the 3D model i had made some time ago (you can probably still find the thread in fan creations there. Buried by far superior works of such artists as jjm1 and Shinypants and Bishop Steiner) and painted over it with GiMP, added a bit more details, scratches and whatnots.
Probably not the most... Imaginative paint job, but i like it simple.
Posted Image

#16458 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:55 PM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 26 May 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

Posted Image
You show this. We see this:
Posted Image

Edited by Requiemking, 26 May 2017 - 12:56 PM.

#16459 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:57 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 26 May 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

You show this. We see this:
Posted Image

#16460 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip