BattleMech Balance

20517 replies to this topic

#19761 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:49 PM

Would have bought the Canis. Need me some Ballistic options for a Clan 80 tonner. Oh well, wallet saved, glad some people are happy at least.

Shame this almost confirms we're not seeing any IS OmniMechs any time soon, with all the IICs & "Classic" chassis that are no doubt going to come over the next year or so. Oh well, money saved is good, too.

#19762 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 07:10 AM

Curiously, the Mech is released in February... Charger/Hatamoto is released in December.
So what happens in January?

#19763 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:17 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 04 October 2018 - 07:10 AM, said:

Curiously, the Mech is released in February... Charger/Hatamoto is released in December.

Vacations?

#19764 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:43 AM

I suppose it's to give them time for their employees to have Christmas break or something.

#19765 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:24 AM

Posted Image

#19766 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:25 AM

Wasn't this months announcement supposed to be a double one?

#19767 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:37 AM

View PostHorseman, on 04 October 2018 - 09:25 AM, said:

Nope. That was just wish thinking of the community.

#19768 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:46 AM

View PostHorseman, on 04 October 2018 - 09:25 AM, said:

From what I see, I think they are going to go for a 4 IS classic pack for Mech 'Con 2018. Stinger/Wasp, Crusader, Longbow pack or something along those lines since those are the most anticipated classics that will rake in cash for PGI. My prediction is that they are saving the Rifleman IIC for November (really hope I'm not jinxing this since I've been waiting for this mech since the announcement of the Clans), since they did a double IS pack last month and/or something got changed in the development cycle after the HG dispute was out of the way.

It would also explain the lack of a ballistic variant that isn't a hero for the Warhammer IIC, since it might encourage people to buy the Rifleman IIC 2 in the standard pack since it's a ballistic boat. Just a theory.

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 04 October 2018 - 09:50 AM.

#19769 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:15 AM

Curiously, the Mech is released in February... Charger/Hatamoto is released in December. So what happens in January?
Good question. Hopefully something major with the game's code.

#19770 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:17 AM

View PostOdanan, on 03 October 2018 - 06:28 PM, said:

Crusader next month?

From your lips to Alex Iglesias ears, man.

That would be a wallet opening of epic proportions. And I'm not even that into missle mechs.

#19771 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 October 2018 - 11:10 AM

I'd only be happy with the Longbow if we get a variant based on the NAIS

#19772 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 04 October 2018 - 01:07 PM

I was expecting the Turkina, but I am more than fine with the Warhammer IIC as well.

I've updated the poll for most wanted assault

Next up Wasp/Stinger double pack. Let's see if I'll guess anything right. Last time that happened was with the Fafnir release, and that one was pretty obvious.

#19773 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 06:48 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 04 October 2018 - 08:43 AM, said:

I suppose it's to give them time for their employees to have Christmas break or something.

That's possible considering the Charger/Hatamoto might be more labour-intensive than a regular single Mech.
On the other hand, they have released many Mechs in January: Warhammer (2016), Bushwacker (2017), and Piranha (2018).

So it is surprising that there is no release in January 2019.

View PostOdanan, on 03 October 2018 - 06:28 PM, said:

Crusader next month?

Not sure. They may want to hold certain Mechs back for MW:5, i.e. Crusader, Wasp and Singer. I mean the Crusader is such a popular design that PGI would have released it already, unless they have a special plan for it (or are not allowed to release it).

However, I think it is likely that the next IS Mech will be another SW-era unit. Perhaps one of the Ost-Mechs (popular enough but not exactly stars), or an SLDF-Mech.

Actually there are many interesting SL-units like the Excalibur or the Lynx. The Shootist may seem a bit bland at first, but it was in MechCommander 2 and it can carry an AC/20 with an XL engine. Combine that with two Snubs and you get a fast and deadly Mech.

#19774 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 05 October 2018 - 08:31 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 05 October 2018 - 06:48 AM, said:

Not sure. They may want to hold certain Mechs back for MW:5, i.e. Crusader, Wasp and Singer. I mean the Crusader is such a popular design that PGI would have released it already, unless they have a special plan for it (or are not allowed to release it).

As much as I'd like them to do the Crusader, I'd like them to do it in a way that makes sense for the era that MWO takes place, like fixing the HGR so that it works with isXL engines, so that variants like the Crusader CRD-8S. That to me is the definitive Crusader variant.

That being said, I'm glad that they included the 1A5 Charger, that thing is going to be a beat-stick with a LFE and UAC/20.

Lastly, I'm over the moon to see that they putting in the Warhammer IIC, almost enough to want to come back to MWO.... only reason I logged in, was I got the e-mail showing my favorite variant beat-stick (WHM-IIC-4) was going to be in.

#19775 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:25 AM

Well it looks like we all agree the LBow needs the NAIS variant somehow. Question is, if it were announced, how would the NAIS be fit in? A PGI copy is obvious but where should it go in the pack? If the hero then ppl scream p2w.

#19776 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:56 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 05 October 2018 - 09:25 AM, said:

Well it looks like we all agree the LBow needs the NAIS variant somehow. Question is, if it were announced, how would the NAIS be fit in? A PGI copy is obvious but where should it go in the pack? If the hero then ppl scream p2w.

I love the NAIS version, but with out LAC/s, alternate ammo and C3 it'd be hard to do it right... That being said, if they did put it in, I could see it being a reinforcement pack add on rather than a hero, that way it's not locked behind a paywall, but not that common either.

#19777 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:04 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 05 October 2018 - 11:56 AM, said:

I love the NAIS version, but with out LAC/s, alternate ammo and C3 it'd be hard to do it right... That being said, if they did put it in, I could see it being a reinforcement pack add on rather than a hero, that way it's not locked behind a paywall, but not that common either.

Light ACs would be great for this game.

#19778 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 02:32 PM

View PostOdanan, on 05 October 2018 - 12:04 PM, said:

Light ACs would be great for this game.

Yes, yes they would be, a viable weapon system for mediums and heavier lights.... though they would be spammed by heavies and assaults with enough ballistic mounts...

I mean the LAC/5 is just awesome with these stats:

Heat: 1
Damage: 5
Tons: 5
Crits: 2
Optimal Range: 450m (max range 900m)
Ammo/ton: 35

Give it a speed of between 1250m/s and 1150m/s and I think it would be golden, as at best it would make it a little slower than the standard AC/5 while at worst being a little faster than the AC/10.

#19779 Kanil

• 1,068 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 03:05 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 05 October 2018 - 02:32 PM, said:

Yes, yes they would be, a viable weapon system for mediums and heavier lights.... though they would be spammed by heavies and assaults with enough ballistic mounts...

That should be preventable using existing mechanics.

Any heavy 'mech is going to be slot limited before it's tonnage limited on LAC/5s, so if LAC/5s do a bit less DPS than the standard ones, it'll probably make sense to run some/all AC/5s.

Alternatively, you could just ghost heat 'em at 3. Wouldn't harm most mediums, given that very few of them have more than 3 ballistic slots anyway, but would encourage heavier 'mechs to run the full sized AC.

#19780 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 05 October 2018 - 07:30 PM

View PostKanil, on 05 October 2018 - 03:05 PM, said:

That should be preventable using existing mechanics.

Any heavy 'mech is going to be slot limited before it's tonnage limited on LAC/5s, so if LAC/5s do a bit less DPS than the standard ones, it'll probably make sense to run some/all AC/5s.

Alternatively, you could just ghost heat 'em at 3. Wouldn't harm most mediums, given that very few of them have more than 3 ballistic slots anyway, but would encourage heavier 'mechs to run the full sized AC.

I agree that the mechs that could really boat them would be more crit starved than tonnage starved; and I don't think Ghost Heat would really be all that necessary. I think slight DPS nerfs vs standard ACs, combined with possibly restricting their TT ranges a bit more, would be the better way to go.

Regardless, LACs are just one of many more weapon systems that I'd like to see brought into MWO; and most of the weapon systems really don't need any more special geometry. I think the one major outlier would be Plasma Rifles (IS) and Plasma Cannons (Clan), but they could really use PPC geometry (since they're energy weapons) if needed.

View PostMetus regem, on 05 October 2018 - 11:56 AM, said:

It's not really that hard for PGI to create a LGB-13P variant based on the 13NAIS.

- C3 can just be removed, as its been done on plenty of other mechs. 1 ton saved
- Also remove the B-Pods, as has been done before. 2 tons saved
- Swap the STD 255 to an LFE 255. STD255 at 19 tons to LFE255 at 16 tons. 3 tons saved
- The 6 tons needed to do a conversion have been obtained.
- Then you can turn the 6xLAC5 into 6xAC2, convert the ammo, and leave everything else the same as the base 13NAIS.
- Of course you'd need to move the leg lasers into the torso locations, but that'd need to be done no matter what.

Then you have a Longbow with something like 6B, 3-4E (would depend on whether they inflate the 1E RT to 2E), ECM, and 1AMS for hardpoints. That'd give the IS 85 ton bracket a dedicated ballistic platform; and that is something the IS really doesn't have right now, and really could use. Better yet that it comes from a beloved Classic Battletech chassis; and it'd at least be SOMETHING until we got LACs (or maybe Mech Rifles) into the game.

32 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 32 guests, 0 anonymous users