• The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 01 December 2018 - 03:47 PM

Clearer picture.

Posted Image

That looks like a turbocharger to me. If that's the case, that could also be a plasma cannon. Which means... tech jump?!

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 01 December 2018 - 03:48 PM.

#19862 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 01 December 2018 - 03:57 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 01 December 2018 - 03:47 PM, said:

That looks like a turbocharger to me. If that's the case, that could also be a plasma cannon. Which means... tech jump?!

A Supercharger, if ever added to MWO, will probably not alter the mech's geometry like most internal items. It being a plasma weapon is something I hadn't considered but I still think it's too ambitious to expect another timeline jump so soon. I'm guessing it's just an AC/2 or AC/5 recessed deep into that pod.

#19863 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 06:33 PM

It's been revealed:

Name: Corsair
Faction: Pirate
Tech: Inner Sphere
Type: Battlemech
Tonnage: 95

It's a lot heavier than I expected.

#19864 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 07:19 PM

Posted Image

#19865 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 01 December 2018 - 07:47 PM

I wonder if the Corsair is going to be a true FrankenMech and exhibit different overall arm/torso geometry for each configuration. For example, the Corsair 5T having big humanoid arms for those 6B hardpoints, instead of one humanoid arm and one salvage arm "stub". The actuators seem to reflect that.

If they actually go full-on FrankenMech with this thing it could become a very interesting and unique addition to MWO. If they are putting that level of effort into it, I could see why there was no November mech announcement, as it would require quite a bit of art team effort to make happen.

On a side note . . . Alex said he's developed a soft spot for pirates, now . . . so Brigand in the near future? I'd rather have a Mongoose, but the Brigand would still be a very welcome 25t addition to the game (and a very worthwhile pirate mech for MW5 use).

#19866 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 11:19 PM

4 AMS. They know how to please me.

#19867 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 01:15 AM

View PostSereglach, on 01 December 2018 - 07:47 PM, said:

On a side note . . . Alex said he's developed a soft spot for pirates, now . . . so Brigand in the near future? I'd rather have a Mongoose, but the Brigand would still be a very welcome 25t addition to the game (and a very worthwhile pirate mech for MW5 use).

The Brigand would have been the far more sensible addition to MWO and it's FCCW-era setting than yet another retcon (however plausible or implausible one may judge that retcon to be...).
But MW:5 über alles, I guess.

#19868 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 02 December 2018 - 01:31 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 02 December 2018 - 01:15 AM, said:

The Brigand would have been the far more sensible addition to MWO and it's FCCW-era setting than yet another retcon (however plausible or implausible one may judge that retcon to be...).
But MW:5 über alles, I guess.

That's a good point, its a pre-Clan Invasion IS assault 'Mech they can add to their MW5 roster. Likewise I wonder if we'll get a weapon-ised "Loader King" too...

#19869 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 02 December 2018 - 02:41 AM

The MW5 teaser:

Only in September, 10th? :(

#19870 xVLFBERHxT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 698 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 03:36 AM

View PostOdanan, on 02 December 2018 - 02:41 AM, said:

The MW5 teaser:

Only in September, 10th? :(

At least the MW5 Victor has his proper kneecaps. MWO can not even do that properly. It seems PGI does not care any longer about our game. But who cares, because I am starting to care less and less about our game too (shrugs)...

#19871 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 11:47 AM

View PostOdanan, on 02 December 2018 - 02:41 AM, said:

The MW5 teaser:

Only in September, 10th? Posted Image

The demo they showed was actually pretty impressive (even if Russ is a HORRIBLE pilot with a joystick). Full mission run with everything functioning, from briefing to debriefing (even with a salvage screen). If they're going to honestly and sincerely use between now and September 10th to finalize the game and polish, it could do wonderful things for PGI. HBS already showed that Battletech can be a wildly successful franchise, still. PGI can't afford to blow this. I fully approve of them taking the time to get it right.

It'll be even better if they actually honor their word of having 100% modding support. I hope they touch on that during the Q&A today.

EDIT2: Very end of the Q&A - Russ stated modding is going to be 100% supported, as well as having Steam Workshop support for people using Steam.

View PostxVLFBERHxT, on 02 December 2018 - 03:36 AM, said:

At least the MW5 Victor has his proper kneecaps. MWO can not even do that properly. It seems PGI does not care any longer about our game. But who cares, because I am starting to care less and less about our game too (shrugs)...

Honestly, I see MWO as having 2 purposes in the future.

1: Engine migration at or shortly after MW5 release, to provide the multiplayer element to the game and unify the two games (making their workload not only less, but also unifying content). People will play MW5 for single player and co-op, while MWO will function as the competitive multiplayer element. Besides, the gameplay looked so much better in MW5, along with a solution to pinpoint aiming . . . the reticle was actually moving with the mech sway. The Engine migration seems like an absolute necessity and inevitability.

2: It provides the mech side content engine for MW5. They can release packages for MWO, as they always have, and then every collector's edition (or better) of a mech pack for MWO could include a DLC code to add that chassis to your MW5 game. Mech packs would fund MWO enough to keep it going while also supplementing constant DLC material for MW5. At the same time mechs are made for MWO, if you don't want to buy a collector's edition mech pack for MWO, they can be sold at $5-10 per chassis, as direct-purchase DLC in MW5. Win-win money model for PGI.

EDIT: First question of the Q&A - Russ already hinted at more news on a "technology update" (aka engine migration) between now and MW5 release . . . requires securing things like a license extension and some external assistance to make it happen. He didn't outright say it, but already hinted at the future of MWO is to unify it with MW5's code and better technology.

Edited by Sereglach, 02 December 2018 - 01:13 PM.

#19872 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 02 December 2018 - 02:32 PM

View PostSereglach, on 02 December 2018 - 11:47 AM, said:

Honestly, I see MWO as having 2 purposes in the future.

1: Engine migration at or shortly after MW5 release, to provide the multiplayer element to the game and unify the two games (making their workload not only less, but also unifying content). People will play MW5 for single player and co-op, while MWO will function as the competitive multiplayer element. Besides, the gameplay looked so much better in MW5, along with a solution to pinpoint aiming . . . the reticle was actually moving with the mech sway. The Engine migration seems like an absolute necessity and inevitability.

2: It provides the mech side content engine for MW5. They can release packages for MWO, as they always have, and then every collector's edition (or better) of a mech pack for MWO could include a DLC code to add that chassis to your MW5 game. Mech packs would fund MWO enough to keep it going while also supplementing constant DLC material for MW5. At the same time mechs are made for MWO, if you don't want to buy a collector's edition mech pack for MWO, they can be sold at $5-10 per chassis, as direct-purchase DLC in MW5. Win-win money model for PGI.

EDIT: First question of the Q&A - Russ already hinted at more news on a "technology update" (aka engine migration) between now and MW5 release . . . requires securing things like a license extension and some external assistance to make it happen. He didn't outright say it, but already hinted at the future of MWO is to unify it with MW5's code and better technology.

This, so much this. ^

PGI, please read this.

#19873 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 11:14 AM

View PostOdanan, on 02 December 2018 - 02:32 PM, said:

This, so much this. ^

PGI, please read this.

Well, you tend to be able to get PGI's ear on twitter, etc. You could always poke them with a link . . . see what they say.

#19874 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:33 PM

I am so offened... they make this WH40K killer kan knock off instead of my Stone Rhino!!!! For shame...

Edited by Grus, 03 December 2018 - 12:34 PM.

#19875 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 02:00 PM

View PostGrus, on 03 December 2018 - 12:33 PM, said:

I am so offened... they make this WH40K killer kan knock off instead of my Stone Rhino!!!! For shame...
Why would they make the Stone Rhino, for their anual PGI original mech?

#19876 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 02:01 PM

View PostOvion, on 03 December 2018 - 02:00 PM, said:

Why would they make the Stone Rhino, for their anual PGI original mech?

The Stoned Rhino would sell somewhere around 83954% more mech packs than the Corsair. It would probably be a lot more viable in-game too.

#19877 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 03 December 2018 - 06:00 PM

I know it's free... but I really don't want that free Corsair hero stinking up my mechbay. >_>

The extra WHM-IIC, however, I'll gladly take.

#19878 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 06:08 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 03 December 2018 - 06:00 PM, said:

I know it's free... but I really don't want that free Corsair hero stinking up my mechbay. >_>

The extra WHM-IIC, however, I'll gladly take.

I wish they'd let us sell off mechs like that, even if it doesn't refund any resources other than the mechbay.

#19879 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 06:59 PM

View PostFupDup, on 03 December 2018 - 02:01 PM, said:

The Stoned Rhino would sell somewhere around 83954% more mech packs than the Corsair.

Yeah, but then I believe almost any other canonical Mech would sell better, even the less well known units. (And ironically, some of them would have been better for the pirate background they apparently wanted).

Russ has even admitted that the Roughneck was a commercial failure, and I doubt the Sun Spider did any better. I really wonder why they think it will be different this time.
Perhaps it is just part of Alex's contract that he is allowed to release one of his own creations per year. If that's the case, good for him.

#19880 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 03:58 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 03 December 2018 - 06:59 PM, said:

Yeah, but then I believe almost any other canonical Mech would sell better, even the less well known units. (And ironically, some of them would have been better for the pirate background they apparently wanted).

Russ has even admitted that the Roughneck was a commercial failure, and I doubt the Sun Spider did any better. I really wonder why they think it will be different this time.
Perhaps it is just part of Alex's contract that he is allowed to release one of his own creations per year. If that's the case, good for him.
Or maybe because they like battleteh and are doing well otherwise they're happy to take a dip and offset their costs some to make something of their own for the franchise each year?

Edited by Ovion, 04 December 2018 - 06:31 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users