• 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

Id love to get that Initiate Mech!!!

#3122 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

View PostYoseful Mallad, on 31 March 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

Id love to get that Initiate Mech!!!

Whenever a mech has anything resembling a religious name, it's from the Jihad era...

Initiate... well, you got it by now.

#3123 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,204 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

View PostAdridos, on 31 March 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

Whenever a mech has anything resembling a religious name, it's from the Jihad era...

Initiate... well, you got it by now.

And if it has an Egyptian God name, it is from the Fed Com Civil War...

#3124 Ens

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

And if it´s named ZEUS, its awesome! ;)

#3125 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

Given the designs picked, we should rename this thread: COMMUNITY DESIGN THREAD: WHOEVER WINS, WE LOSE

heh

#3126 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

So... since we've pretty much been through and back again all of the Assaults in trying to determine which might be BattleMech 20, what about the other weight classes? Which (Inner Sphere) Heavy or Medium would/should we expect to be next?

#3127 Joe Mallad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 31 March 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

So... since we've pretty much been through and back again all of the Assaults in trying to determine which might be BattleMech 20, what about the other weight classes? Which (Inner Sphere) Heavy or Medium would/should we expect to be next?
(lights) Assassin, Javelin or Wolfhound
(Mediums) Crab, Wyvern or Witworth
(Heavy) Black Knight, Champion or Quickdraw
(Assault) Banshie, Victor or King Crab

#3128 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,204 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

View PostYoseful Mallad, on 31 March 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

(lights) Assassin, Javelin or Wolfhound
(Mediums) Crab, Wyvern or Witworth
(Heavy) Black Knight, Champion or Quickdraw
(Assault) Banshie, Victor or King Crab

- Assassin = only 3 variants, but a good choice (fast jumping medium.
- Javelin = a jumping Commando? few variants, but much better 30 tons mech than the Spider.
- Wolfhound = great TT mech, bad MWO mech (few variants, all the same).
Conclusion: I would prefer the Firestarter = one of the most common mechs in Ineer Sphere, available to all houses, with lots, I mean lots of variants.

- Crab = like the Wolfhound, bad MWO mech. Use a Laserback instead.
- Wyvern = use a Blackjack instead.
- Whitworth = the Trebuchet is better in everything.
Conclusion: I prefer the Clint = not the greatest mech but exactly what we need in the Medium weight: fast and jumping (and with lots of variants).

- Black Knight = the mech of choice of unimaginative people. Like the Wolfhound (and like all Laser boat) it is a great mech but it sucks in MWO. All variants have the basically same number and location of energy hardpoints. Come on!
- Champion = Dragon.
- Quickdraw = good mech but with few and not varied variants.
Conclusion: Guillotine or Grasshopper would be better choices. They are almost identical in loadouts but Guillotine looks better.

About the Assault mechs, read the OP for detailed comments. I would choose two of the three: Banshee, Zeus and Victor.

#3129 Lonestar1771

• 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

WHAT! NO PANTHER!

#3130 jay35

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:42 PM

Really hope we get the Zeus, just so we can get the Stacy as a hero mech, using that X variant model which has those awesome-looking fins on it, and a Leonidas variant as another potential hero mech. Only challenge would be canon-breaking to get the X variant prior to 3070. =\
But yeah, the visually-pleasing X variant is the sole reason I want the Zeus.

#3131 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

Disclaimer: Some 'mechs picks are "just because." I also already understand the chance of seeing Unseen/Reseen are nil, but this is for fun/discussion sake.

LIGHT:

Mercury - The reason the Clans have their OmniMechs is because of the lore of this little guy. It's as light as a Commando except it's base speed is MUCH faster, though with MW:O caps it'll be just as fast as any other light 'mech. It's base variant mounts at least 4 energy hard points, and gives the devs an excuse to try to figure out how to fit MASC into the game (although I'm unsure of MASC's reintroducton into the IS.) However, most of it's variants are carbon copies so it'd have to go the way of the Spider and be given extra hardpoints.

Panther - Why not have the Panther after putting the Dragon in game? Has enough variants to vary it up a bit, and while it might be slow (which is usually anathema to light mechs in MW:O,) it has a really strong punch for it's size while carrying jump jets. It's an alternative to the all laser boating Wolfhound, but only by so much.

Possible Hero Mechs:

Minobu Tetsuhara, friend of Jaime Wolf and founder of the Ryuken, originally piloted his family's Panther, a mech nicknamed Katana Kat. Later he would switch to a Vindicator, and later still he would pilot a Dragon. Katana Kat would pass to his brother, Fuhito Tetsuhara, who used it successfully during the Fourth Succession War.

Tomoe Sakade, wife of Theodore Kurita, used a Panther during her early career, up until its destruction during the Fourth Succession War.

Wolfhound - As Odanan said, awesome mech in TT but would need some love for MW:O as all it's variants are laser boats. Still, the Wolfhound is definitely a favorite in universe and out, and I'd personally love to see this little 'mech make it into MW:O. It's fast enough to be as fast as the rest of the lights while still mounting great armor and weaponry, and Alex's concept art would probably be mind blowing (like all the others are.) I've been a fan of this 'mech for a VERY long time, and it's my favorite for next light to be included...but I'd be happy that it got in at all down the road. Also...

Possible Hero Mechs:

Daniel Allard, who received one of the prototypes in 3028 after the destruction of his Valkyrie in 3027. Originally a stock WLF-1 model, it was later upgraded to WLF-2 standard and finally with Clan-tech weapons salvaged from the Battle of Luthien. Allard continued to pilot his Wolfhound even after rising to overall command of the Kell Hounds up until his death on Graceland in 3069 during combat against Clan Jade Falcon.

Phelan Kell, son of Morgan Kell, also piloted a Wolfhound while serving with the Hounds until his capture by Clan Wolf in 3049. After being dissected and studied by Clan scientists, when Phelan was granted full warrior status Khan Ulric Kerensky authorized the reconstruction of his Wolfhound to become the aforementioned Wolfhound IIC variant.

MEDIUM:

Clint - Having to agree straight up with Odanan with this one. Fast, jumps, and has a lot of variants. I like it much better then the alternatives (unless we get the Unseen/Reseen, covered later.) Another 'mech I'd like to see Alex tackle, visually.

HEAVY:

Axman - Forget a second that it's got a melee weapon, which pretty much nullifies this mech just by that virtue. Or don't, and just read on anyway for the fun of it! It's kinda slow (but that's fixable,) and it carries jump jets. Has a decent amount of variants (one with ECM!!!) and pretty much any Mechwarrior knows this Battlemech, in universe and out. Could always go the route pictured below to fit it into the game.

Spoiler

Possible Hero Mechs:

Adam Steiner piloted a AXM-2N variant at the opening of the Clan Invasion. [3] The 6X variant was developed primarily in the hopes of pandering to the Archon's use of the Axman during the Clan Invasion.

Information is ammunition, baby!

Guillotine - I'd prefer this over the other non unseen/reseen Battlemechs. Old Star League design with decent variants (though, not super varied,) mounts jump jets, and would just look cool redone.

ASSAULT:

Hatamoto-Chi - Because Space Samurai. I'm drawn to this 'mech aesthetically. While I really want this or the Cyclops to be the next Assault, I'm doing it purely off of how it looks because it's variants don't vary at all. It's a cooler looking Thug, and has a lore link to the Charger that's kind of interesting.

Possible Hero Mechs:

HTM-27T Hatamoto-Chi Daniel - Personally awarded by Coordinator Takashi Kurita to Sorenson’s Sabres commander Daniel Sorenson in the lead-up to the War of 3039, the 'Mech Daniel received was a bridging design between the early field-test HTM-26T and the later production HTM-27T. Dropping two tons of armor and outfitted with a bulkier and less refined Endo-Steel chassis, enough weight was saved to mount a pair of experimental Luthien Armor Works developed LB 10-X AC prototypes in it arms and a pair of Telos SRM-4 launchers in its chest. A ton of reloads for each SRM launcher and four tons of autocannon reloads in its CASE protected side torsos kept the 'Mech in the thick of battle.

Cyclops - This 'mech needs a redesign visually from Alex, and it'd be a good solid choice for the next Assault due to it's weight and decent variants (though, many are almost identicle but that can be padded out.) Good candidate for ECM on another Assault, and is often seen as another strong command style mech. This is the 'mech I want to see above all others as the next Assault.

Possible Hero Mech:

General Ariana Winston, Commanding Officer of the Eridani Light Horse between 3045 to 3060, piloted a modified Cyclops which featured a dual-cockpit for command and coordination purposes. She is perhaps best known for assuming command of the reborn SLDF's Task Force Serpent after Morgan Hasek-Davion's assassination and leading the bloody campaign to destroy Clan Smoke Jaguar on their homeworld of Huntress, though she was killed during the effort.

(This Hero 'mech would be SO amazing! I'm a lore junkie, though.)

RESEEN/UNSEEN:

Valkyrie - Small, fast, can jump, and has a number of variants. Can't do much with 30 tons and it really ends up being another Spider, but we need some new takes on these old Unseen so we can get over all the hooplah once and for all. I've always liked the Valkyrie, and in the end the light field is covered with anything unique already with what's in game...it's mostly preference at this point and I'd prefer to see this.

Ostscout - It's a pod with legs, but hoping Alex would change that (as he has done so awesome for so many 'mechs.) I've liked this 'mech in table top and prefer it over Ravens for various reason, not all due to their performances. This 'mech really wouldn't survive MW:O due to it's paltry and bad variants as electronic warfare is important...but not nearly as powerful as it is in TT.

Phoenix_Hawk - This damn machine has more variants then you can shake a stick at. Lower end of the weight scale for Mediums, but it's got it all where it counts. It's a real workhorse medium and a 'mech I'd dearly love see get a redesign. Especially because of...

Possible Hero Mech:
Shin Yodama piloted a Phoenix Hawk for much of his early career in the DCMS, including the Clan Invasion.

Wolverine The Wolverine is a beast of a Medium 'mech. It's THE Medium 'mech, and it lives up to it's name tenfold. It would also **** off them vatborn Clannerds to get killed by one. :) It's got everything, speed, armor, the weaponry to take on anything, and has a good number of variants. Of all the Mediums out there, I want this more then anything else and I'd die a happy Mechwarrior. I'd also kill to see Alex redesign it, oh yes.

Not to mention...

Possible Hero Mechs:

Salome Ward piloted a Star League-era Wolverine for nearly her entire career, from her early adventures with the Kell Hounds to the Battle of Luthien.

(For the uninitiated, this is Phelan Kell's mother.)

Thunderbolt - Lives up to it's name, it's basically an A-10 walking. Varied armament and quite a few variants, this would be one of my favorite Unseen to be added to the game (behind the Wolverine, if it REALLY came down to it.) I'd love to see a redesign even though I love the original look...but I know it can't really stay that.

Possible Hero Mechs:

TDR-5S-T Thunderbolt Tallman - The personal ‘Mech of Bremond DMM commander Leftenant-General Mary Tallman during the DCMS's Third Succession War invasion of Galtor III, only the large laser remains, with the rest of the standard weaponry replaced with a brace of four medium lasers in each side torso. The remaining weight and space is devoted to eight additional heat sinks. BV (2.0) = 1,447[25]

Warhammer - I don't even have to write a description. I really don't. But I'm going to anyway! Probably the most iconic Battlemech in all of Battletech, the Warhammer is the machine most people first think of (unless they're dirty Clanners,) and is basically the face of Battletech for most of us. It has a good spread of weapons, it sits at 75 tons making it a good weight to allow for customization...and well it's the bloody Warhammer! It's not like one of the two most deadliest pilots in all of the Inner Sphere pilots it or anything and is the most high profile pilot, even above Kai Allard-Liao (who's technically in game already.)

Possible Hero Mechs:

*Natasha Kerensky piloted a jet black Warhammer while still serving with Wolf's Dragoons. (Who doesn't love the Black Widow?)

Colonel Donovan Fresnel of the 75th Royal Hussar Regiment became the first SLDF "Gunslinger" to achieve a draw against a DCMS Marauder in 2687 on the world of Minakuchi during an hour-long duel.

Tai-sa Yorinaga Kurita was a House Kurita warrior who gained notoriety for killing Ian Davion and battling mercenary Colonel Morgan Kell.

Edited by Jack Gallows, 31 March 2013 - 09:03 PM.

#3132 Skadi

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

You still need to add the Bane/Kraken to the list of potential clan mechs >.> it has enough varients available and its timeline appropriate. http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Bane

Edited by Skadi, 31 March 2013 - 09:07 PM.

#3133 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

View PostSkadi, on 31 March 2013 - 09:05 PM, said:

You still need to add the Bane/Kraken to the list of potential clan mechs >.> it has enough varients available and its timeline appropriate.

Except, the first Clan 'mechs are going to all be OmniMechs. Non OmniMechs aren't going to be seen until the first initial wave of Clan 'mechs are done, meaning the Kraken is going to have to sit a bit. Though after that, all's fair game right?

#3134 Skadi

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

View PostJack Gallows, on 31 March 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

Except, the first Clan 'mechs are going to all be OmniMechs. Non OmniMechs aren't going to be seen until the first initial wave of Clan 'mechs are done, meaning the Kraken is going to have to sit a bit. Though after that, all's fair game right?

do you have a link confirming this? havnt seen a dev post yet. (ive been around these forums awhile now, so no offense intended to you but I generaly don't believe most people on things like this unless they have a dev backing them)

Edited by Skadi, 31 March 2013 - 09:19 PM.

#3135 Lonestar1771

• 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

View PostSkadi, on 31 March 2013 - 09:05 PM, said:

You still need to add the Bane/Kraken to the list of potential clan mechs >.> it has enough varients available and its timeline appropriate. http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Bane

At the right angles it can be a really good looking mech.

#3136 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

View PostSkadi, on 31 March 2013 - 09:14 PM, said:

do you have a link confirming this? havnt seen a dev post yet. (ive been around these forums awhile now, so no offense intended to you but I generaly don't believe most people on things like this unless they have a dev backing them)

I think he meant in lore terms. Omnis were the vanguard (also iconic) so those are what's people expect to be introduced to the game first.

#3137 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:43 AM

View PostLonestar1771, on 31 March 2013 - 09:53 PM, said:

At the right angles it can be a really good looking mech.

Well, the mini is quite nice. As far as artwork representation goes, here's a fixed version:
Posted Image

#3138 Wieland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 755 posts
  • LocationKitzingen, Bolan Province, Protectorate of Donegal, Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:11 AM

According to that Interview Video from GDC there will be mechs only available through CW.

#3139 Colddawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 317 posts
  • LocationYork, Pennsylvania

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:15 AM

If anyone sees the Timber Wolf posted in the ISW news post.....

IT'S THE MARK IV!!!!! It won't be made until after 3100!!!! So calm your britches.

#3140 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:27 AM

View PostColddawg, on 01 April 2013 - 05:15 AM, said:

If anyone sees the Timber Wolf posted in the ISW news post.....

IT'S THE MARK IV!!!!! It won't be made until after 3100!!!! So calm your britches.

I don't recall it saying anything about a variant, and only alludes to being a mad cat.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook