#3961 Phoenix Branson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:38 PM

I tried and failed...

Maverick01, on 05 June 2013 - 05:46 PM, said:

Will we ever see the King Crab? I would love to see your artwork on that mech :)

Alex Iglesias, on 05 June 2013 - 06:10 PM, said:

Maybe, Maybe not

but i can say that I'd love to drive one myself someday

Edited by Maverick01, 06 June 2013 - 06:41 PM.

#3962 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 06 June 2013 - 12:08 PM, said:

For the Enforcer (as distinct from the later Enforcer III), those two are the only timeline-appropriate non-unique variants.
(There are then the "hero" variation of each variant, piloted by Daniel Waylen from McKinnon's Company.)

Though, the Crab gets by variant-numbers-wise thanks to the CRB-27 (basic/default variant, circa 2719), CRB-27sl (non-Royal Star League era variant, circa 2750), and CRB-20 (downgraded tech variant, circa 2810).
(The lower-case "b" in the CRB-27b designation indicated that the variant was exclusive to the SLDF Royal Divisions - the effective-totality of which left with Kerensky.)

Personally, I would expect either of the Dervish or Kintaro (to fill the 55-ton slot), or any of the Sentinel (well-rounded, weapon-wise), the Assassin (common in-universe, fast, and jump-capable), or the Vindicator (heavily-armed for a Medium 'Mech, iconic to the Capellans, and jump-capable) to be implemented before either of the Enforcer or the Crab.

Thoughts?

No Vulcan?

I would get behind the:

Dervish
Vulcan
Assassin
Vindicator
Crab

then the Sentinel, in that order. I would like the Enforcer, but as said, not enough variants, and tbh, too many 50 tonner already, nothing new to the table. Hatchetman is not really viable minus H2H, The Sentinel is not enough different from the Cicada to excite me, The Clint not enough variants, I think (and kinda a MEH design). Not as anti-Crab as CERTAIN parties here :) , but don't really see it bringing anything that the CN9-AL doesn't already do overall. A little faster, but that is it. And again, 50 tons. Don't think the Wyvern has enough variants. And pretty much the rest are Unseen.

The Dervish's only real "knock" is the people who fear it would obsolete their precious HBK-4SPs (it will, not enough reason to deny it... in fact, essentially what is being said is "it's too good, so let's NOT play it"). Fast, Great hardpoint spread and firepower potential. JJs.

The Vulcan has great mobility, JJS, good hardpoint mix, and a real unique profile that could present serious sniping challenges.

Assassiin is FAAAAAST and jumpy, and while limited has a decent set of hardpoints to compliment it's mobility. Potentially a big Spider with actual TEETH.

Vindicator is slow, but so are half the mediums. Otherwise you got JJs, decent heat management, good firepower and hardpoints and good armor.

#3963 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:29 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 06 June 2013 - 12:08 PM, said:

For the Enforcer (as distinct from the later Enforcer III), those two are the only timeline-appropriate non-unique variants.
(There are then the "hero" variation of each variant, piloted by Daniel Waylen from McKinnon's Company.)

Though, the Crab gets by variant-numbers-wise thanks to the CRB-27 (basic/default variant, circa 2719), CRB-27sl (non-Royal Star League era variant, circa 2750), and CRB-20 (downgraded tech variant, circa 2810).
(The lower-case "b" in the CRB-27b designation indicated that the variant was exclusive to the SLDF Royal Divisions - the effective-totality of which left with Kerensky.)

Personally, I would expect either of the Dervish or Kintaro (to fill the 55-ton slot), or any of the Sentinel (well-rounded, weapon-wise), the Assassin (common in-universe, fast, and jump-capable), or the Vindicator (heavily-armed for a Medium 'Mech, iconic to the Capellans, and jump-capable) to be implemented before either of the Enforcer or the Crab.

Thoughts?

I said the Kintaro is a strong possibility. As well as the Hermes II. I made the list to give us ideas. Obviously if the chassis doesn't have 3+ variants then it's out of the running.

View PostOdanan, on 06 June 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

Thinly armored: -do you know the mechlab?
Overengined: -always an advantage in this game.
Jumping: -is good to have that option.

I`m actually happy they picked up the Quickdraw instead of the Guillotine (which would look much better) or the Grasshopper.
About the Reseen, it looks like they won`t make it (at least not until after the Clans).

I have to agree with you here. But unless they buff SRM damage next patch the Quickdraw is going to be under gunned (with exception to the all energy variant).

View PostBishop Steiner, on 06 June 2013 - 07:00 PM, said:

No Vulcan?

I would get behind the:

Dervish
Vulcan
Assassin
Vindicator
Crab

then the Sentinel, in that order. I would like the Enforcer, but as said, not enough variants, and tbh, too many 50 tonner already, nothing new to the table. Hatchetman is not really viable minus H2H, The Sentinel is not enough different from the Cicada to excite me, The Clint not enough variants, I think (and kinda a MEH design). Not as anti-Crab as CERTAIN parties here :) , but don't really see it bringing anything that the CN9-AL doesn't already do overall. A little faster, but that is it. And again, 50 tons. Don't think the Wyvern has enough variants. And pretty much the rest are Unseen.

The Dervish's only real "knock" is the people who fear it would obsolete their precious HBK-4SPs (it will, not enough reason to deny it... in fact, essentially what is being said is "it's too good, so let's NOT play it"). Fast, Great hardpoint spread and firepower potential. JJs.

The Vulcan has great mobility, JJS, good hardpoint mix, and a real unique profile that could present serious sniping challenges.

Assassiin is FAAAAAST and jumpy, and while limited has a decent set of hardpoints to compliment it's mobility. Potentially a big Spider with actual TEETH.

Vindicator is slow, but so are half the mediums. Otherwise you got JJs, decent heat management, good firepower and hardpoints and good armor.

I tend to agree. I'd like to see the Vindicator, Sentinel, Kintaro and Hermes II. We'll just have to wait and see till next month for new concept art :(.

#3964 Morang

• 1,259 posts
  • LocationHeart of Darkness

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

Will be nice to see Medium Mechs with following properties:

Lower half of tonnage range (there are three 50-tonners already),
Has lower arm actuators (not a single mech in 35-45 tons range has them yet),
Has missiles (There are no missiles on lighter mediums besides The X5... I wonder why they excluded BJ-2).

From Master Unit List selection only Vindicator seems appropriate, if too slow. Variants are variable enough: has more energy-oriented (1R), more missile-oriented (1SIC) and with ballistic hardpoint added (1X). 1AA with better engine and jump jets can be included as well (1R with same weapons can be made viable against 1AA via more non-stock hardpoints or ECM addition).

#3965 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:40 PM

View PostMorang, on 06 June 2013 - 10:36 PM, said:

Will be nice to see Medium Mechs with following properties:

Lower half of tonnage range (there are three 50-tonners already),
Has lower arm actuators (not a single mech in 35-45 tons range has them yet),
Has missiles (There are no missiles on lighter mediums besides The X5... I wonder why they excluded BJ-2).

From Master Unit List selection only Vindicator seems appropriate, if too slow. Variants are variable enough: has more energy-oriented (1R), more missile-oriented (1SIC) and with ballistic hardpoint added (1X). 1AA with better engine and jump jets can be included as well (1R with same weapons can be made viable against 1AA via more non-stock hardpoints or ECM addition).

because it is not introduced until 3052.

#3966 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:28 AM

I hope for the Dervish, it's the only interesting thing in the medium class, one of the few decent 55 tonners and this because we already have 3x 50 tonners, 1x45 and 1x40.
I'd be rather disappointed not to see a 55 tonner, albeit the Dervish due to the QuickDraw intro, would be basically a 5 ton lighter mech with only missile/srm and energy hardpoints.

#3967 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:58 AM

The next medium should be a 55 ton mech, definitely!
The Kintaro is my first choice, but the Dervish is also nice and useful.

#3968 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:55 AM

View PostThe Birdeater, on 07 June 2013 - 02:58 AM, said:

I guess that Iglesias may redesign the Kintaro to make it much better looking, but imho the Dervish owns an overall much better design than the "***** I'm fabolous" Kintaro :P

#3969 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:45 AM

View PostThe Birdeater, on 07 June 2013 - 02:58 AM, said:

say no to RoboChimps wearing Hannibal Lecter muzzles!
Posted Image

instead.....
Posted Image

*this PSA was Brought to you by Bishop Steiner and the Alliance for Better Battlemechs. :)

#3970 Tkhaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:39 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 June 2013 - 05:45 AM, said:

say no to RoboChimps wearing Hannibal Lecter muzzles!
Posted Image

instead.....
Posted Image

*this PSA was Brought to you by Bishop Steiner and the Alliance for Better Battlemechs. :)

Let the best mech wins! :)

#3971 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:51 AM

To hell with it...
I'll join team "Robo Chimp", cause this thing got swag like a P**P! :) :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

A well redesigned Kintaro like this above beats the poptarting "Paddle-Johnny"!

Edited by The Birdeater, 07 June 2013 - 07:00 AM.

#3972 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:44 AM

As of right now the Kintaro adds more to the game then the Dervish does now that we know we're getting the Quickdraw. Either way we know we're getting at least 1 55 ton medium.

#3973 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:47 AM

I just looked at the Annihilator, my favorite mech of all time and noticed that it had way more variants than i thought it did this mech could absolutely make it into the game. Also they would probably make the arms one slot short of fitting 2 gauss rifles in the arms because that would be unfair. although you would be able to do 3 as in the variant specs.

#3974 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:55 AM

View PostButane9000, on 07 June 2013 - 08:44 AM, said:

As of right now the Kintaro adds more to the game then the Dervish does now that we know we're getting the Quickdraw. Either way we know we're getting at least 1 55 ton medium.

ehh... just what does the Kintaro bring particularly different from teh Dervish? (Aside from bad looks?)
Same speed, primary has the same basic hard points, just not nearly as well spread and balanced, and no JJ.
Of the available, only the KTO-20 is remotely differing in hardpoints, dropping the NARC for a Large Laser, so 3 Missile and 3 Energy. Big whoop.

It pretty literally does nothing "Johnny Paddlehands" can't do, AND little Johnny can jump.

#3975 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

They're very similar and both are too similar to the Trebuchet, unfortunately! ;)

I think one of them will make it into the game. The community loves the Dervish and its generally more popular, but that does nothing. I'm sure none of us have expected mechs like Spider or the unpopular "Quick down" in the past, right?

Yes, "Johnny Paddlehands" can jump, but exactly THIS could be its drawback, cause its nothing more than 5 ton heavier Trenchbucket, unfortunately. It could be a reason, why the devs opt for a 55 ton mech without JJ's. Who knows. I like both and i really hope that one of them will make it. Dunno why, but i think "Mr. Robo Chimp" needs a bit more love and Alex could do the job well. Also, i'm able to live without JJ's! Imo, JJ's shouldn't be the measure of all things in MWO! :)

Hey, i have an idea! They should give us both. We have already three 50 ton mechs. So where is the problem to give us two 55 tonners? :)

Edited by The Birdeater, 07 June 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#3976 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

View PostThe Birdeater, on 07 June 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

They're very similar and both are too similar to the Trebuchet, unfortunately! :wacko:

I think one of them will make it into the game. The community loves the Dervish and its generally more popular, but that does nothing. I'm sure none of us have expected mechs like Spider or the unpopular "Quick down" in the past, right?

Yes, "Johnny Paddlehands" can jump, but exactly THIS could be its drawback, cause its nothing more than 5 ton heavier Trenchbucket, unfortunately. It could be a reason, why the devs opt for a 55 ton mech without JJ's. Who knows. I like both and i really hope that one of them will make it. Dunno why, but i think "Mr. Robo Chimp" needs a bit more love and Alex could do the job well. Also, i'm able to live without JJ's! Imo, JJ's shouldn't be the measure of all things in MWO! :)

Hey, i have an idea! They should give us both. We have already three 50 ton mechs. So where is the problem to give us two 55 tonners? :)

I'd take both. All I'm saying is if you have 2 mechs, both 55 tons, both 86 kph, both carrying 4 Missile Hard Points and 2 Energy Hard Points, and one carries JJ, the other doesn't, why would I remotely want the one without? If I don't want to jump, rip em out. Both can carry the same armor, heat sinks, etc, and teh Dervish has it's hardpoints better distributed.

So just saying, if I had to choose just ONE, the Dervish wins big for me.

#3977 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

View PostThe Birdeater, on 07 June 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

That isn't even a question. We will eventually get all the mechs that are possible. Even then we will run out of mechs in about two years time so before then they will have to widen the net.

The great irony is that at some point there will be a section of the user population that will start complaining we have too many mechs. :)

#3978 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:00 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 June 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

I'd take both. All I'm saying is if you have 2 mechs, both 55 tons, both 86 kph, both carrying 4 Missile Hard Points and 2 Energy Hard Points, and one carries JJ, the other doesn't, why would I remotely want the one without? If I don't want to jump, rip em out. Both can carry the same armor, heat sinks, etc, and teh Dervish has it's hardpoints better distributed.

So just saying, if I had to choose just ONE, the Dervish wins big for me.

Agreed in every word.

BTW: The Trebuchet has only one variant with jump jets, so , comparing with the Trebuchet, the Kintaro is more similar.

PS: it looks like the devs are getting the most of the Classic Battletech Indroductory Box mechs, so the Dervish has an advantage here.

#3979 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:15 AM

if there using the CBIB, I'm waiting for the Zeus, Cyclops(the IS BloodHound-OH YEA!) and the melee monster the Banshee Posted Image

#3980 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

View PostOdanan, on 08 June 2013 - 03:00 AM, said:

PS: it looks like the devs are getting the most of the Classic Battletech Indroductory Box mechs, so the Dervish has an advantage here.

Some MWO mechs are not on the list. Flea, Raven, Blackjack, Centurion, Cataphract, Orion and Highlander as an example. There is still a chance for "Mr. Robo Chimp"! :P

76 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 76 guests, 0 anonymous users