20517 replies to this topic

#4521 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:11 PM

View PostMaverick01, on 25 July 2013 - 08:46 PM, said:

As a news agency reported on Sarah's 'Mech inside PGI's office, it looks like a possible spoiler of a future design by Flying Debris. I have to say it looks like the Wolverine!

http://www.cbc.ca/pl.../ID/2398278247/

Posted Image

Awesome. I am sold. I would die to see all the drawings in that office, probably for a lot of other mechs too (Griffin, Zeus, etc,.) I would love to be in the managerial position to say, "I think you need to change this, I think you need to adjust that, yes, that looks okay."

This is clearly the Wolverine and based on one of the Dougram mechs. The Dougram design style is to have a gun or missile pack on the shoulders, which by the way, are absent from Gundam and Macross designs. The shoulder packs went to being part to a number of original Battletech designs like the Hellbringer and Summoner. Dougram also had weapons attached to the forearms, as opposed to hands holding guns, like in Gundam and Macross.

Early Battletech did suffer artistically from having so many design themes being mismashed in the same universe. In anime, a mech series often displays a strong unified design theme, and you are not going to mistake a mech from Gundam to a mech in Macross. Battletech would have certainly benefited from design rules that would have given artistic consistency, such as one laid by Gene Rodenberry for Star Trek, stating that ships must have two engine nacelles, and the front of the nacelles must have a clear line of sight to the front (similar to ramjet propulsion).

#4522 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:15 PM

View PostOrkdung, on 25 July 2013 - 03:45 PM, said:

Excellent point.

I'd love to see Troops too. So much potential with each Houses beautiful uniforms.
You could purchase Mech hunter teams in fire-teams of 5 with SRMs.
They'd be great for holding objectives too. Give you a few extra precious seconds.

Posted Image

Love that artwork, especially the fact that it got the historical Chinese Dao right (the sword). That is actually how daos from the Han Dynasty looks like all the way to the Jin and Shi Dynasties, straight, katana like with a ring pommel on the bottom, not the kung fun broadswords we see in the movies.

I only wish the artwork to have a bit more of the Mao era propaganda posters look, then it would be absolutely perfect.

#4523 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:17 PM

View PostAnjian, on 25 July 2013 - 10:15 PM, said:

I only wish the artwork to have a bit more of the Mao era propaganda posters look, then it would be absolutely perfect.

Xin Sheng was about returning to ancient Chinese culture, not the communistic one.

#4524 Tezcatli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:23 PM

View PostAnjian, on 25 July 2013 - 10:11 PM, said:

Awesome. I am sold. I would die to see all the drawings in that office, probably for a lot of other mechs too (Griffin, Zeus, etc,.) I would love to be in the managerial position to say, "I think you need to change this, I think you need to adjust that, yes, that looks okay."

This is clearly the Wolverine and based on one of the Dougram mechs. The Dougram design style is to have a gun or missile pack on the shoulders, which by the way, are absent from Gundam and Macross designs. The shoulder packs went to being part to a number of original Battletech designs like the Hellbringer and Summoner. Dougram also had weapons attached to the forearms, as opposed to hands holding guns, like in Gundam and Macross.

Early Battletech did suffer artistically from having so many design themes being mismashed in the same universe. In anime, a mech series often displays a strong unified design theme, and you are not going to mistake a mech from Gundam to a mech in Macross. Battletech would have certainly benefited from design rules that would have given artistic consistency, such as one laid by Gene Rodenberry for Star Trek, stating that ships must have two engine nacelles, and the front of the nacelles must have a clear line of sight to the front (similar to ramjet propulsion).

Gundam has several designs with over the shoulder weapons. Including missile launchers. Just had to say... >.>;

#4525 Scrawny Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 574 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

View PostMaverick01, on 25 July 2013 - 08:46 PM, said:

As a news agency reported on Sarah's 'Mech inside PGI's office, it looks like a possible spoiler of a future design by Flying Debris. I have to say it looks like the Wolverine!

http://www.cbc.ca/pl.../ID/2398278247/

Posted Image

Loving the design on that hand-gripped gun, was expecting something like this when I read the Battlemaster was announced. Also, where does this set us for the predicted overall count for each weight class? : l

#4526 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:41 AM

Holy crap in a *******!
Posted Image
In case you didn't noticed, Alex uses both the Unseen and the Reseen as reference for the new, "Unreseeen" mech.

And this is the Reseen below.

View PostB3RZ3RK3R, on 25 July 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

Also, where does this set us for the predicted overall count for each weight class? : l

That's a tough question. I don't know... I don't know...

Edited by Odanan, 26 July 2013 - 04:36 AM.

#4527 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:47 AM

I'm really interested in how will it's cockpit be made. Hopefully it will look interesting from inside... the Victor, while having an interesting shape of a cockpit from outside, ended up with generic look from inside and it didn't have that "I'm inside a small room piloting a giant ******* mech" feeling I love about mechs like Jenner, Atlas, or Trebuchet.

#4528 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:01 AM

So, let's review all predictions: instead of 1 new Medium mech, we will probably get 2 (Wolverine and Griffin). That leaves room for 2 new light mechs, 1 new heavy mech and 2 new assault mechs.

Firestarter AND Urbanmech!!
Banshee AND Cyclops!!

PGI, would you marry me?

#4529 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:34 AM

It is safe to say, if you want to make a prediction for a possible candidate in the Assault or Heavy category, the mech will needs to have at least 64kph. I suspect this has to do with the larger maps PGI projects in building in the near future. The Banshee, Cyclops and Zeus do fit that qualification for Assault.

#4530 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:45 AM

View PostAnjian, on 26 July 2013 - 04:34 AM, said:

It is safe to say, if you want to make a prediction for a possible candidate in the Assault or Heavy category, the mech will needs to have at least 64kph. I suspect this has to do with the larger maps PGI projects in building in the near future. The Banshee, Cyclops and Zeus do fit that qualification for Assault.

Banshee AND Cyclops! (sorry Zeus, but I think the Orion can do your job)

#4531 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:48 AM

View PostOdanan, on 26 July 2013 - 03:41 AM, said:

Holy crap in a *******!
In case you didn't noticed, Alex uses both the Unseen and the Reseen as reference for the new, "Unreseeen" mech.

And this is the Reseen below.

That's a tough question. I don't know... I don't know...

Not to burst anyone's bubble (because I would love to see the Wolverine in the game as well), that may have been filmed as Project Phoenix was being developed and they had not yet decided which mechs to include.

So I will be optimistically hopeful for now. :)

#4532 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:41 AM

View PostBelorion, on 26 July 2013 - 04:48 AM, said:

Not to burst anyone's bubble (because I would love to see the Wolverine in the game as well), that may have been filmed as Project Phoenix was being developed and they had not yet decided which mechs to include.

You don't pay for quite an ammount of work hours just to end up scratching most of the it...

And this was definitely filmed recently. They even stated it already raised almost 50k, which I cna't exactly pinpoint due to difference in time between here and NA, but happened around yesterday.

Edited by Adridos, 26 July 2013 - 05:42 AM.

#4533 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:48 AM

View PostAdridos, on 26 July 2013 - 05:41 AM, said:

You don't pay for quite an ammount of work hours just to end up scratching most of the it...

And this was definitely filmed recently. They even stated it already raised almost 50k, which I cna't exactly pinpoint due to difference in time between here and NA, but happened around yesterday.

True that. I watched the video. They were there specifically to interview the staff about Sarah's mech.

On a different note. That specially painted concept art is the PP version of the mech. If you look at all the images here:https://plus.google....762003975772161 you will notice that the green ones have different geometry. The green Battlemaster is missing the large shoulder ridges. The Locust head is different. The Thunderbolt shoulders are different. The Shadow Hawk has less railing on the joints... etc.

The profile of the green Battlemaster fits the one that was up before the silhouette got changed just prior to the Battlemaster art reveal.

#4534 3rdworld

• 3,562 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:21 AM

For lights, you should consider

Mongoose - 25 tons
Hermes - 30 tons

Hermes is probably the more iconic of the 2 but they are both at a tonnage where there is only a single mech that has been announced.

#4535 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:33 AM

View PostBelorion, on 26 July 2013 - 05:48 AM, said:

True that. I watched the video. They were there specifically to interview the staff about Sarah's mech.

On a different note. That specially painted concept art is the PP version of the mech. If you look at all the images here:https://plus.google....762003975772161 you will notice that the green ones have different geometry. The green Battlemaster is missing the large shoulder ridges. The Locust head is different. The Thunderbolt shoulders are different. The Shadow Hawk has less railing on the joints... etc.

The profile of the green Battlemaster fits the one that was up before the silhouette got changed just prior to the Battlemaster art reveal.

Like the Founders, the Phoenix mechs will have different geometry.

#4536 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:34 AM

View PostOdanan, on 25 July 2013 - 07:35 PM, said:

Hey, Orkdung, thanks for sharing the MWO Chess link... I tough nobody cared about that...

Haven't seen that before.... I am now following it. Since the DL links don't work, I copied the whole post. :)

#4537 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:39 AM

View Postcdlord, on 26 July 2013 - 07:34 AM, said:

Haven't seen that before.... I am now following it. Since the DL links don't work, I copied the whole post. :)

I wanted to remake all images with screenshots of the actual variants in game... but it looks like the MWO Chess wasn't quite a hit. ;)

#4538 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

Also, from the Orion thread (and the same video as the Wolverine art)...
Posted Image
(courtesy of Druidika)

View PostFishhawk, on 26 July 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

So is it going to be Lady Death or Theodore Kurita/Aleksandr Kerensky's ... My vote is for the latter since we have a "Dragon Slayer" ... Maybe it'll be called the "Fox Hunter" ...

Though, the original build of Kerensky's Orion didn't have the LRM launcher; it was replaced with a Snub-Nose PPC (which can be exchanged for a Standard or ER PPC in the MWO version by moving one FF critical to free up the space and dropping one ton of Gauss Rifle ammunition to free up the tonnage).

However, the gray-and-red color scheme shown in the screenshot matches that of the 11th Legion of Vega, which was Theodore Kurita's unit while he was on Marfik and piloting the rebuilt (as a standard ON1-K loadout) form of Kerensky's Orion (which he named "Revenant") at the beginning of the Fourth Succession War.
(The story of Theodore and the Revenant, which was destroyed in the Fourth Succession War, is told in the BT novel Heir to the Dragon.)

By contrast, the 'Mechs of the Tortuga Fusiliers are bainted black with blue trim while the 'Mechs of the Death's Consorts (which aren't formed until Paula Trevaline's release from imprisonment in 3064) are painted bone grey with black trim.
Additionally, it seems (from this source) that Paula Trevaline's personal Orion, before her capture and imprisonment in 3042, was an ON1-K that was painted green.

Additionally, the Lurch (piloted by Yvonne Morticia of Team Banzai) would presumably be painted black with yellow trim (the unit's colors), which also doesn't quite match what is shown in the video (unless the video coloring or the lighting in that room is slightly off ;)).

So, from the screenshot, I would guess that the Orion pictured (assuming it is the Hero Orion) would seem to be Theodore Kurita's Revenant (or perhaps some homage thereto), or possibly the Lurch or some other as-yet-unknown Orion.

Your thoughts?

Edited by Strum Wealh, 26 July 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#4539 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 26 July 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

Your thoughts?

They should hire you.

So my guess is for the Revenant: two heroes in one.

(tough the both sinister Orions Lurch and "Lady Death" would be fine too)

Unless PGI really makes this Orion useless, I'm definitely buying the hero.

#4540 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

The painting scheme really reminds the 11th Legion of Vega.

Posted ImagePosted Image

PS: you are a lore master, Strum.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users