#5301 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:13 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 30 September 2013 - 04:03 PM, said:

well, it's a rush job (pun only slightly intended) that will get properly fleshed out later.
Posted Image
Was thinking of making a Jihad era refit, with improved JJs, and 4 Clan Heavy Medium Lasers called the "Bird Eater".

I'm thinking a 40 pt alpha from one of these would be noteworthy.

DUDE! I'm speechless ... ;)
Now, you got me! The "rush job sketch" looks already AWESOOOME!
My own ZPH variant! Thanks a lot, Bishop!

#5302 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

View PostThe Birdeater, on 01 October 2013 - 07:13 AM, said:

DUDE! I'm speechless ... ;)
Now, you got me! The "rush job sketch" looks already AWESOOOME!
My own ZPH variant! Thanks a lot, Bishop!

Glad to oblige! I even made up some fluff for it, as being a production run based off of the personal mech of a former Smoke Jaguar warrior made bondsman and warrior again by Clan Wolf-in-Exile (helps they invented Improved JJs), who had been captured during Operation Bulldog fighting in a captured IS Tarantula. Once considered Solahma by the Jaguars as an aging warrior and part of the Generation that failed in the initial Invasion, this warrior proved his worth to his new Clan. When given a choice of mechs, he chose to rebuild his Tarantula, but as new technology became available continued to have it upgraded. The final model, as seen during the Jihad carries 4 Clan Heavy Medium Lasers, Improved Jumpjets and an experimental "Quad Turret" that allows the torso to twist like on a bipedal mech. The Turret is far from perfect currently, and anytime the CT takes a hit, the warrior must roll 2d6. On a 2 or a 12, the turret locks in whatever facing it was in at the time of the hit, and cannot be unjammed in the field. The new production model caries Inner Sphere ER Medium Lasers in place of the Clan Lasers, and does not feature the Quad Turret. All Models shipped to the Kell Hounds and Clan Wolf-in-Exile are shipped without lasers mounted, allowing them to mount the lasers of choice.

#5303 Shazarad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 525 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:43 PM

Wobbie mechs are terrible. Hope no game ever fields them or even mentions the Jihad ever.

CIVIL WAR ENDED, KATHERINES GONE, VICTOR WON, AND EVERYTHINGS LOVELY AND DANDY FOR THE REST OF TIME.

#5304 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

View PostShazarad, on 01 October 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

Wobbie mechs are terrible. Hope no game ever fields them or even mentions the Jihad ever.

CIVIL WAR ENDED, KATHERINES GONE, VICTOR WON, AND EVERYTHINGS LOVELY AND DANDY FOR THE REST OF TIME.

Yeah, unfortunately the whole utopia thing only works in Star Trek (and even then.....)

#5305 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:58 PM

The original idea that was told about how the Jihad was going to actually happen wasn't so bad. Wasn't nearly as convoluted as it is now.

That said, there was too much power creep/etc with how the entire game was handled post 3025. Too much tech too fast meant too many things were obsolete and made games last all of 10 rounds.

#5306 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:04 PM

View PostJack Gallows, on 01 October 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

The original idea that was told about how the Jihad was going to actually happen wasn't so bad. Wasn't nearly as convoluted as it is now.

That said, there was too much power creep/etc with how the entire game was handled post 3025. Too much tech too fast meant too many things were obsolete and made games last all of 10 rounds.

Yeah. Got to talk to Randall Bills at the Launch. And he agrees. Said in retrospect Jordan Weisman also feels Clan-Tech was not onyl too powerful, but poorly implemented and thought out by their own mythology. There have been rumors from Ekman that they might be taking a left turn as to how to implement Clan Tech.

#5307 AkalaOubli

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:18 PM

I'm all for a consistent timeline but admitting that these mechs are favorites and probably wont show up is like saying. "Yes we know this ice-cream flavor is a favorite, but we don't serve it because it wasn't invented in 1998 when we started." I understand why, and even fully understand from a balance standpoint. Lets be honest here, while a legit build the Uziel was a mean, mean, mean fighting machine. It was a absolute terror on the battlefield in skilled hands, but other mechs already serve it's purpose.

I return back the ice-cream analogy because I personally, am far less likely to stick around for a length of time if I know that some of my absolute favorite mech's wont even get a cameo. I mean sure they are broken according to our current tech, but I shouldn't have to do years of loyalty for you guys to go glance over at World of tanks for 30 seconds. Take a look at how they did things, the tech tree was brilliant. We have one sort of here anyway. Stalkers are basically a higher teir Catapult. They play like an omni mech already.

Stalkers practically play like clan tech used to, so yes balance will be a challenge. That being said we already have mechs that work and play a lot like clan tech. They work and play just like the most popular mechs you're stating wont show up. Take a look at the Yen Lao, it plays practically just like an uziel of the olden games. It's totally and completely a pain in the *** to knock over if it's upgraded. I've had an easier time swatting some of these clan mechs in non clan tech then our current generation stuff.

It's a shame to see some of the most iconic and favorite mechs simply be snubbed. Just like the ice-cream parlor from before. Our favorite flavors, while legit and tasty, are simply not around. So will I keep playing? Absolutely, I enjoy the game. Will I stick around for years to come? Probably not, unless I start to see some of my old favorites, the game just isn't the same.

I'm all for dev times, I get it you guys can't crank out all the mechs at once, but don't be the ice-cream parlor. At least give us something saying you'll take a look at some of the old favorite 'flavors' of mech. Realize you can implement them without a lot of fear, if you play your cards right. You wont even have to bend cannon.

Edited by AkalaOubli, 01 October 2013 - 03:19 PM.

#5308 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 01 October 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

Yeah. Got to talk to Randall Bills at the Launch. And he agrees. Said in retrospect Jordan Weisman also feels Clan-Tech was not onyl too powerful, but poorly implemented and thought out by their own mythology. There have been rumors from Ekman that they might be taking a left turn as to how to implement Clan Tech.

Indeed, and agreed. :(

Though, is it not a bit more than "rumor" when Ekman outright says that's what they intend to do? :lol:

#5309 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:06 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 01 October 2013 - 03:50 PM, said:

Indeed, and agreed. :(

Though, is it not a bit more than "rumor" when Ekman outright says that's what they intend to do? :lol:

that was his position at the time.

sound familiar?

#5310 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:23 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 01 October 2013 - 04:06 PM, said:

that was his position at the time.

sound familiar?

[Teal'c]
Indeed.
[/Teal'c]

#5311 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:24 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 01 October 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

A better spin on the Star League leaving might have been to push the Inner Sphere into an even more dire technical regression. Knock the Star League era tech down a bit as well. Give them some breathing room time wise and also make it so that anything new added actually has a positive impact on making the designs of the time react to the changing battlefield so you see a bit more natural progression versus "Everything Clan is like 2.5 times better, pew pew." The Clans are still a good idea at heart, but need to be brought back a bit so that it meshes better with the overall story instead of only being superior tech wise.

That's not to say they don't have some good tech, but make it more like some later products were kind of hinting at. Different factions develop different types of weapons that aren't necessarily better outright but offer alternatives to what's out there. ATM is something like that, selectable missiles but it's bulky and you have to pay attention to ammo/etc.

#5312 Phoenix Branson

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

There is an interesting tweet from Bryan. PGI set a precedence today that they will change the engine cap for 'Mechs that are invalidated and/or unable to be put into the game with the current engine cap in place. No one can say no UrbanMech now because of the engine restriction rule. Thoughts?

Parduke
In regards to LCVs coming in 2 weeks. Will the 10 heat sink min be relaxed due to 170 max engine rating?

Bryan Ekman
According to David the heat sink min is not relaxed, however the max engine rating is up 190. Also We have adjusted engine weight.

Link: https://twitter.com/...132486809751552

Edited by Maverick01, 01 October 2013 - 07:58 PM.

#5313 ReguIus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 137 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:19 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 09 September 2013 - 09:38 AM, said:

Listen, Clan tech is not going to be overpowered. The reason ghost heat exists is to heavily, heavily discourage stacking of effective weapons without developing different gameplay mechanics from already existing weapon types. The developers are on record as saying as much.

You're discouraged to commit homicide at the risk of some unpleasant punishment. Will some people still do it anyway? Yes!

That's the problem.

#5314 Rick Bassman

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:45 AM

View PostMaverick01, on 28 August 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

Let's take a look...

Lights(6)
Flea
Locust
Commando
Spider
Jenner
Raven

Mediums(9)
Cicada
Blackjack
Hunchback
Trebuchet
Centurion
Kintaro
Shadow Hawk
Wolverine
Griffin

Heavies(7)
Dragon
Quickdraw
Catapult
Thunder Bolt
Jagermech
Cataphract
Orion

Assaults(6)
Awesome
Victor
Stalker
Battlemaster
Highlander
Atlas

The medium roster is completely filled at 9 'Mechs. With that said, we should still expect another 2 Lights, 1 Heavy and 1 Assault. That will give us a total of 32 Inner Sphere BattleMechs. Below are my remaining picks...

Lights: Firestarter, UrbanMech
Heavy: Lancelot
Assault: Banshee

Thoughts?

I think the Wolfhound and Panther would be a better choice of lights; Black Knight for the heavy; Zeus or King Crab for assault. King Crab, because it's an alternate 100 tonner.

Edited by Rick Bassman, 02 October 2013 - 10:59 AM.

#5315 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

View PostRick Bassman, on 02 October 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

I think the Wolfhound would be a better choice of light; Black Knight for the heavy; Zeus and King Crab for assault.

so, you think pure energy boats, in a dakka friendly Meta, are the clearly superior choices? :ph34r:

Particularly a Wolfhound, which is quite literally outclassed in every way possible by the 35 ton Jenner, which not only can mount the same 4 energy hardpoints and armor, but 2 Missile hardpoints, and is faster and jump capable to boot?

Firestarter weighs as much, can carry as much armor, and move just as fast, as well as having SIX energy hardpoints, augmented by 2 ballistic points and Jump Jets. Not to mention it actually has variants at this time.

While I would like to see if Alex can finally deliver the first Wolfhound model that remotely lives up to it's grandiose fluff description, I can't say it's in game abilities make it a particular "must have".

#5316 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:23 PM

Posted Image

#5317 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:19 PM

View PostSgtMagor, on 02 October 2013 - 01:23 PM, said:

Posted Image

That left arm looks pretty deformed there.

#5318 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

View PostSgtMagor, on 02 October 2013 - 01:23 PM, said:

Posted Image

and that is why amateurs should not paint minis. :P

#5319 Rick Bassman

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:36 PM

I find it interesting Bishop, that you have such a strong argument against the Wolfy and not the Panther (you could pretty much make the same argument as you did with the Wolfy but compare it to a heavier Commando) or the King Crab (exclusive to ComStar right now in the lore) or the Zeus (which is comparable to the Victor but more focused on range). Don't get me wrong, I've got a lot of love for the Firestarter. Take out the flamers and load her up with mls and you have yourself a mech murdering monster. The Wolfy should have a couple variants available, if they could give us the rear firing ml an in the future i.e. next summer, they could release the Phelan Kell hero variant, Grinner. But you're correct, it would be a little early to put the Wolfy into the game. As much as I'd love to see the Urbie, I'm pretty sure dashboard bobble is the best we could see of it in this game given the current meta for lights to be fast and maneuverable.

#5320 Shazarad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 525 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:10 PM

Panther goes extremely slow for a light. It would be a larger Commando-1D.

But screw comparing mechs to other mechs to see if theyre "worthy" of being in the game. Just put them in! I will play them and many others will too, because it not always about trying to make mechs better than the last best mech.

21 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 21 guests, 0 anonymous users