#7201 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:46 PM

View PostAntiKorper, on 16 February 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:

Hello my name is AntiKorper

I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong thread, I am still fairly new to the whole forum thing.

I am a long time Atlas pilot / fan I used to run up to 3 full lances of special Atlases...
When I save up I am in the market for one, but my question is the way i want to load out my Atlas seems to be too much in this game vs the older ones... long story short, I do not fully understand the ferro fibrous / Endo steel upgrades? do they really take up that many hard points? seems like they should not at all, considering one modifies the structure to a new / lighter / stronger setup, second the armor is external? besides how can you save that much on weight and have more then half of your hard points full before any weapons...
or is there something I am missing / not understanding if so could some please help me clear this up?

In advance Many thanks!

In regards to weight savings Endo Steel is flat out better then Ferro-Fibrous. Both take up precious critical slots in assault mechs. So I wouldn't recommend them unless you have no recourse.

Ferro-Fibrous takes up critical slots due to the armor attachment system. Ferro-Fibrous armor should never be on option on an assault battlemech currently because the trade off is not worth the C-bills. Always opt for Endo as you always get your moneys worth.

Also as far as upgrades go. Always get Double Heat Sinks. They are outright better then singles. Any engines past 250 you should start looking to put extra heat sinks in the torsos and arms to soak up damage. As they will allow your weapons to last longer. If space is a factor for weapons put extra heat sinks in the engine slots.

Here's my recommendations on Atlas load outs to help you ease into the game:

AS7-D - In this build use your LRM15 and dual ER Large Laser for when the enemy is 500+ meters out. Use your AC10 on enemies up to 450-500 where it's most optimal. Only use the Medium Pulse Lasers when an enemy gets within 200m of you.

AS7-D-DC - This is one of those rare Ferro builds. Still not as good as the standard set up but it'll get the job done. A better medium to close range brawler. Stick with your team and act as a missile shield. Also gives you a speed boost over regular Atlases and remember to fire those streaks on chain fire to conserve ammunition.

AS7-K - The unusual Atlas. Most people opt for the RS variant. I believe this build is effective though a bit unconventional. Use the pulse lasers in close combat. Only use the LBX when an enemy is in close range 250-350 meters and is missing armor as it's great for internal crit damage. Your only long range is the LRM10 so use it's shots sparingly to pepper the enemy before you close the distance. You must exercise proper heat management with this build. Dual AMS for missile shielding.

AS7-RS - Alternate choice to the AS7-D. Better speed and not much difference in firepower. Gives you a much bigger punch at range so you can reach out and touch someone when you need to. Your Beagle Active Probe will shut down those pesky enemy lights ECM. However the Endo Steel upgrade leaves the lasers in your arms at the mercy of the enemy. So torso twist is a must to preserve what will be your main sources of damage.

By the way. These are by no means the go to Atlas builds. These are what I would pilot and gives you some options from the cookie cutter builds.

#7202 BarHaid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:13 AM

View PostAntiKorper, on 16 February 2014 - 05:03 PM, said:

ok I understand about the lack of clan weapon tech np... but it's just the exhange between hard points vs weight is what I am not sure I fully agree with... and thanks for the help =)

A note of clarification: EndoSteel and Ferrofibe do not remove any of your mech's hardpoints; they just take up space. That can be a real issue with Heavy and Assault mechs, as those double heat sinks also take up lots of space!

#7203 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:44 AM

If the Double Heat Sinks didn't double the HS inside the engine, IS tech would be pretty balanced. (well, except for the sub-par lighter ACs and LB-Xs and the very good medium lasers and PPCs)

#7204 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:09 PM

View PostOdanan, on 17 February 2014 - 09:44 AM, said:

If the Double Heat Sinks didn't double the HS inside the engine, IS tech would be pretty balanced. (well, except for the sub-par lighter ACs and LB-Xs and the very good medium lasers and PPCs)

ppc's ain't that good. I'd actually say the standards are a little weak, TBH. With the projectile speed buff, AND the minimum range, removing the EMP effect from the PPC under 90 meters was a step too much.

#7205 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 17 February 2014 - 01:09 PM, said:

ppc's ain't that good. I'd actually say the standards are a little weak, TBH. With the projectile speed buff, AND the minimum range, removing the EMP effect from the PPC under 90 meters was a step too much.

Oh no, I'm talking about TT. In MWO AC/2s and AC/5s are very good (and some people are actually very skilled with the LB-X)

#7206 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

So, Griffin and Wolverine will be released only in April and May... So much for the 2 mechs/month. :D

(at least I will get my Banshee in March)

#7207 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:28 AM

View PostOdanan, on 18 February 2014 - 11:24 AM, said:

So, Griffin and Wolverine will be released only in April and May... So much for the 2 mechs/month. :D

Banshee been confirmed?

#7208 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 18 February 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:

Banshee been confirmed?

No! I'm just assuming it.

#7209 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:58 AM

well, the flame is on sale! get im while its hot!

#7210 Wieland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 755 posts
  • LocationKitzingen, Bolan Province, Protectorate of Donegal, Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

View PostOdanan, on 18 February 2014 - 11:24 AM, said:

And, no 2 mechs/month means also there will be no more IS mechs for a very long time.
You can almost bet now, that they will release all the 16 3050 Clanners before there is another IS mech.
But, i fear something worse. They might do a time jump after the Clanners to give IS new weapons, leaving several classic mech designs behind in that process(especially several iconic assaults).

#7211 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:54 PM

View PostWieland, on 18 February 2014 - 01:03 PM, said:

And, no 2 mechs/month means also there will be no more IS mechs for a very long time.
You can almost bet now, that they will release all the 16 3050 Clanners before there is another IS mech.
But, i fear something worse. They might do a time jump after the Clanners to give IS new weapons, leaving several classic mech designs behind in that process(especially several iconic assaults).

I would expect that "two 'Mechs per month" is more likely to mean one of each tech base until they run out of 'Mechs for either.

The IS still plenty of 'Mechs left (assuming three or more ~3051/pre-Tukayyid variants + the implementation of MASC):
  • Flea(FLE-4, FLE-15, FLE-17)
  • Thorn (THE-N, THE-S, THE-T)
  • Hornet (HNT-151, HNT-152, HNT-171)
  • Mercury (MCY-99, MCY-98, MCY-97)
  • Mongoose (MON-66, MON-70, MON-67, MON-68)
  • Hermes (HER-1S, HER-1A, HER-3S/S1/S2)
  • Hussar (HSR-200-D, HSR-300-D, HSR-350-D)
  • Javelin (JVN-10N, JVN-10F, JVN-10P)
  • Panther (PNT-8Z, PNT-9R, PNT-10K)
  • Assassin (ASN-21, ASN-101, ASN-23)
  • Clint (CLNT-1-2R, CLNT-2-3T, CLNT-2-3U)
  • Crab (CRB-27, CRB-27sl, CRB-20)
  • Dervish (DV-6M, DV-6Md, DV-7D)
  • Hermes II (HER-2S, HER-2M, HER-4K, HER-5S)
  • Sentinel (STN-3L, STN-3K, STN-3KA/KB, STN-3M)
  • Vindicator (VND-1R, VND-1X, VND-1AA, VND-1SIC)
  • Vulcan (VT-2T, VT-5T, VT-5S)
  • Whitworth (WHT-1, WHT-1S, WHT-2)
  • Black Knight (BL-6-KNT, BL-7-KNT, BL-7-KNT-L)
  • Champion (CHP-1N, CHP-1N2, CHP-2N)
  • Grasshopper (GHR-5H, GHR-5N, GHR-5J)
  • Guillotine (GLT-3N, GLT-4L, GLT-4P, GLT-5M)
  • Lancelot (LNC25-01, LNC25-02, LNC25-03)
  • Banshee (BNC-3E, BNC-3M, BNC-3Q, BNC-3S, BNC-MC)
  • Charger (CGR-1A1, CGR-1L, CGR-1A5, CGR-1A9, CGR-3K)
  • Cyclops (CP-10-Z, CP-10-Z-DC, CP-10-Q, CP-11-A, CP-11-A-DC, CP-11-C)
  • Hatamoto-Chi (HTM-26T, HTM-27T, HTM-27U/C/CM, HTM-27V, HTM-27W, HTM-27Y)
  • Zeus (ZEU-6S, ZEU-5S, ZEU-5T, ZEU-6T, ZEU-6S-DC, ZEU-9S, ZEU-9S-DC)
With just the above 28 IS 'Mechs versus the 22 or so pre-Tukayyid Clan OmniMechs not included in the initial Clan Package (Dasher, Koshi, Dragonfly, Fenris, Vulture, Loki, Man O' War, Gladiator, Hankyu, Battle Cobra, Pouncer, Shadow Cat, Stooping Hawk, Nobori-nin, Crossbow, Cauldron-Born, Kingfisher, Fire Falcon, Phantom, Black Lanner, Night Gyr, and Turkina) plus the eight OmniMechs that were included in the Clan Package (for a total of 30 Clan OmniMechs), PGI could easily have enough 'Mechs to follow a "1 IS 'Mech + 1 Clan 'Mech per month" scheme for for over two years - by which point, several new chassis (such as the Clan-built Linebacker and Grendel) could become available.

Additionally, changes to the MWO Engine weighting system could allow for the UrbanMech (with its UM-R60, UM-R60L, UM-R50, and UM-R63 variants) to be implemented, while (per the suggestion of Bishop Steiner) removal of the lower-arm and hand-actuators would allow for the implementation of the King Crab (with its KGC-000, KGC-010, and KGC-0000 variants) in the absence of the (inordinately more preferable, IMO) ability to crit-split those weapons that had the ability in BattleTech.

Edited by Strum Wealh, 18 February 2014 - 04:05 PM.

#7212 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:06 PM

The just gave us the Griffin too for today

#7213 Carnifex125

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:43 PM

New assault this MArch??, I know its not likely, but I am REALLY hoping for King Crab. Especially after seeing Alex's sketches.

I wouldnt care if they didnt have double AC20 varients, I just want to pilot King Crabs in this game. I would buy a ton of MC just for them.

#7214 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

View PostSgtMagor, on 18 February 2014 - 11:58 AM, said:

well, the flame is on sale! get im while its hot!

it is?

#7215 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

King Crab would be a fun mech but if it came out, they would need to release the Crab shortly after. Also I think that the real reason that the King Crab was not released was that it would basically take all Atlas's off of the table (except the DDC) and replace them with a shorter profile mech that can potentially pack more firepower in it (especially if it is XL friendly). The splitting slot excuse that they gave was a tad weak since the XL engine does just that and they could just make a special KG AC20 that does just that but limit it to just the KG.

#7216 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

View PostFireSlade, on 18 February 2014 - 05:10 PM, said:

King Crab would be a fun mech but if it came out, they would need to release the Crab shortly after. Also I think that the real reason that the King Crab was not released was that it would basically take all Atlas's off of the table (except the DDC) and replace them with a shorter profile mech that can potentially pack more firepower in it (especially if it is XL friendly). The splitting slot excuse that they gave was a tad weak since the XL engine does just that and they could just make a special KG AC20 that does just that but limit it to just the KG.

or simply remove the hand actuators as they serve no real purpose in MWO, and in the first printing were not there at all.

That said, whether the KGC replaced the Atlas or not would depend a lot on it's agility profile. If (which I would recommend) they made it as ponderous as most Stalkers? Then it is a nice addition, but not a direct replacement.

#7217 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:46 PM

View PostFireSlade, on 18 February 2014 - 04:06 PM, said:

The just gave us the Griffin too for today

Amazing PGI! Thanks!

#7218 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

(Now let's hope there will be new mech in April and May)

#7219 ssm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

View PostOdanan, on 18 February 2014 - 05:53 PM, said:

(Now let's hope there will be new mech in April and May)

I'm pretty sure PGI has at least 3-4 mechs (besides Clans) in various stages of development prepared just in case. They are in the same hat as, for example, Quickdraw was.

#7220 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:25 PM

so......

Just gotta vent my disappointment about the "Community Cockpit Items".

perhaps there are more to come, and we did sign away any rights to our ideas. That said, essentially NONE of the featured items were designed by the "Winners". And the closest as far as I can tell, is the "PUG IN HELMET", which while cute, is NOT
Posted Image

If that is supposed to be mine, I am very saddened. Yes some of it is ego, but part of winning is the bragging rights, the ability to say, "Hey my idea, no matter how minor, made it into the game". But How does one take a Urbanmech riding a Pug and get a "Helmet Wearing Pug"? That is like contributing a red corvette and the modelers adding a pink VW instead.

I'm even a little concerned that they won't injec the "winners" ideas at all, but just keep farming the losers, to minimize any "pay outs" they would need do. (sorry for sounding distrustful)

As much a concern to me, is that folks like Pyrrho, who contributed the Oscillating Fan, for instance, see their idea in, but have to pay for it. I think it would be a grand gesture from PGI to inject the item into the designers accounts. Not the "entire" winners package, mind you, just their idea. I think a little thing like that, and an email from the mods, would actually make the people on here more likely to spend knowing that PGI really does reciprocate the support from the community.

Anyhow, I am probably going to repost this as a "petition" on the Fan Art section, for any who would care to support it. Also if you agree with me, please, contact support and let them know. Thanks guys, rant over!

http://mwomercs.com/...-a-total-crock/

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 18 February 2014 - 09:39 PM.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users