20517 replies to this topic

#921 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:06 AM

So, Orion next week (or, with some luck, they will resume the 2 week interval and we will get it today).

#922 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:32 AM

View PostOdanan, on 21 November 2012 - 04:06 AM, said:

So, Orion next week (or, with some luck, they will resume the 2 week interval and we will get it today).

Assuming they intend to fill the 75 ton slot, then yes. :wub:

If not... Guillotine, Grasshopper, Lancelot, Quickdraw, or something else? :)

#923 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:49 AM

There was some garth post in the answers section about having info on a 75 ton mech soon.

#924 Evostvo

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:51 AM

Where is Thor, the ultimate Mech

#925 Morang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • LocationHeart of Darkness

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:12 AM

Thor aka Summoner is the Clan 'mech they're not there yet.

I hope that PGI will consider Orion too obvious and announce 5th Assault mech first, then Orion. I'm tired of guessing!

#926 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:22 AM

View PostMorang, on 21 November 2012 - 07:12 AM, said:

Thor aka Summoner is the Clan 'mech they're not there yet.

I hope that PGI will consider Orion too obvious and announce 5th Assault mech first, then Orion. I'm tired of guessing!

Don't give them ideas! I'm looking forward for the Orion since... forever.

(Besides, because of the definitive absence of the Victor, I'm not excited for the next Assaults anymore)

PS: and yes, make the hero pretenders pay for the CN9-AH!

View PostStrum Wealh, on 21 November 2012 - 05:32 AM, said:

Assuming they intend to fill the 75 ton slot, then yes. :huh:

If not... Guillotine, Grasshopper, Lancelot, Quickdraw, or something else? :)

Pff... these laser boat pilots... keep wishing.
You missed the Black Knight, BTW.

#927 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

View PostOdanan, on 21 November 2012 - 08:22 AM, said:

Pff... these laser boat pilots... keep wishing.
You missed the Black Knight, BTW.

The Black Knight doesn't have enough variants in production at this point in the canon timeline. :(

Besides, the last time any of those I've named showed up in a MW game was the Quickdraw's appearance in Mechwarrior II: Mercenaries!
'Twould be nice, and fun, to see the common-in-canon-but-often-underutilized/ignored-in-video-games 'Mechs make an appearance, yes? ;)

Also, I shall take exception to being called a "laser boat pilot"! :)

#928 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 21 November 2012 - 08:59 AM, said:

'Twould be nice, and fun, to see the common-in-canon-but-often-underutilized/ignored-in-video-games 'Mechs make an appearance, yes? ;)

No.

Maybe.

I didn't really care for a number of the Mercs II mechs but that was the case with about half the mechs announced for MWO to date and so far liking all of them so I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world to see mechs that aren't the Mechwarrior poster children.

#929 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

Sure, it is cool to see some classic mechs in MWO.

But some mechs are too similar to be in the game (like the Grasshopper and the Guillotine, they wouldn't appear both) and some simply wouldn't add much to the MWO roster.

I believe most of the 24 "starter mechs" will be in the game though: (it is surprising that some great mechs like the Centurion, Blackjack, Firestarter, Stalker and Orion aren't in this list)

Edited by Odanan, 21 November 2012 - 11:47 AM.

#930 Virtusx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

View PostOdanan, on 21 November 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

Sure, it is cool to see some classic mechs in MWO.

But some mechs are too similar to be in the game (like the Grasshopper and the Guillotine, they wouldn't appear both) and some simply wouldn't add much to the MWO roster.

I believe most of the 24 "starter mechs" will be in the game though: (it is surprising that some great mechs like the Centurion, Blackjack, Firestarter, Stalker and Orion aren't in this list)

Um, the Centurion is already in the game. The Blackjack and Stalker have been announced already.

See the concept art page.

http://mwomercs.com/media/concept

Edit: or were you referring to just the list?

Edited by Virtusx, 21 November 2012 - 01:07 PM.

#931 Virtusx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

View PostThontor, on 21 November 2012 - 01:13 PM, said:

He did say "aren't in this list"

As in, not in the Introductory Box Set for the TT game

Ya, realized what he probably meant after I read it again. My bad.

On another note I really wanted the Enforcer.

Edited by Virtusx, 21 November 2012 - 01:24 PM.

#932 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

Orion for next Heavy! GO!

That's really the only weight class/mech I tend to care about right now. Though I will say, failing the Orion being placed into game...the Cataphract is a damn good replacement. Still want the Orion in really bad, however.

Most of the other 'mechs I'd like to see in other weight classes are either Reseen (and therefor null for all intents and purposes,) or already in game.

#933 Dirus Nigh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

The Orion would be a great choice for the 75 ton slot.

I would love to see the Black Knight or Grasshopper. However the variants are energy boat heavy.

Looking at the Orion and Black Knight on sarna I'm starting to think that they might not be used at all. Their variants are not really that different. In MWO it seems like their hard points would not differentiate that much.

Barring that Quickdraw has my vote. It always seemed to be a passed over mech. I would love to see what Alex could do with it.

#934 Cicatrix

• PipPip
  • The Cub
  • 41 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

Devastator, 2 Gauss Rifles, 2 PPCs and 4 Medium Lasers, No speed, a 100 ton Turret basically. Bring It!!

#935 Manicus

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:14 AM

I know i'll have to wait years for it, but once i get my mad dog i will be happy forever and ever amen ;)

#936 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:27 AM

View PostManicus, on 22 November 2012 - 01:14 AM, said:

I know i'll have to wait years for it, but once i get my mad dog i will be happy forever and ever amen ;)

Really? That mech is not good. Under-armored and with bad choice of weapon loadouts (like many other clan mechs).

#937 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:33 AM

View PostDirus Nigh, on 21 November 2012 - 08:55 PM, said:

I would love to see the Black Knight or Grasshopper. However the variants are energy boat heavy.

Looking at the Orion and Black Knight on sarna I'm starting to think that they might not be used at all. Their variants are not really that different. In MWO it seems like their hard points would not differentiate that much.

Barring that Quickdraw has my vote. It always seemed to be a passed over mech. I would love to see what Alex could do with it.

Orion variants (speculation):

(e= energy, m= missile, b = ballistic):

--------------------------
ON1-K
AC/10, 2 Medium Lasers, LRM15, SRM4

LA 1e (Medium Laser)
LT 2m [maybe 3m] (LRM15, SRM4)
CT
H
RT 1b (AC/10)
RA 1e (Medium Laser)

ON1-M (Double HS, XL Engine)
LBX/10, 2 Medium Lasers, LRM20, SRM4, NARC

LA 1e, 1m (LRM20, Medium Laser)
LT 1m (SRM4)
CT 1m (NARC)
H
RT 1b (LBX/10)
RA 1e (Medium Laser)

ON1-V
AC/10, 2 Medium Lasers, LRM15, 2 SRM4

LA 1e, 1m (Medium Laser, SRM4)
LT 1m (LRM15)
CT
H
RT 1b (AC/10)
RA 1e, 1m (Medium Laser, SRM4)

ON1-VA
AC/10, 2 Medium Lasers, 2 SRM4

LA 1e, 1m (Medium Laser, SRM4)
LT
CT
H
RT 1b [maybe 2b] (AC/10)
RA 1e, 1m (Medium Laser, SRM4)

ON1-MA (Double HS, XL Engine) - year 3052
LBX/10, 2 Medium Pulse Lasers, LRM20, SRM6

LA 1e, 1m (Medium Pulse Laser, LRM20)
LT 1m (SRM6)
CT
H
RT 1b (LBX/10)
RA 1e [maybe 2e] (Medium Pulse Laser)

Kerensky's Orion (hero mech) (Double HS, Ferro Fibrous)
Gauss, Snub-Nose PPC, 2 Medium Lasers, SRM4

LA 1e (Medium Laser)
LT 1m, 1e (SRM4, Snub-Nose PPC)
CT
H
RT 1b [maybe 2b] (Gauss)
RA 1e (Medium Lasers)

PS: the Snub-Nose PPC is an old SL weapon that is rediscovered only in 3067: it could be replaced by a regular PPC, at the cost of 1 ton - or it could be a "premium" weapon)

OK, not extremely different from each other, but the Orion has more variation than the many mechs in game, like the Dragon, Atlas and Jenner.

EDIT: fixed variants.
EDIT: fixed lasers on the Kerensky's Orion left arm.

Edited by Odanan, 27 November 2012 - 08:13 AM.

#938 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:00 AM

View PostDirus Nigh, on 21 November 2012 - 08:55 PM, said:

Actually, I'm thinking that the Guillotine, Grasshopper and Quickdraw might be attractive choices because of their loadouts - and, more specifically, how those loadouts set them outside of the mold of the other Heavies.

All of them are generally jumpers (more variants have Jump Jets than not) - something that few other era-appropriate Heavy 'Mechs with enough timeline-appropriate variants to matter can boast, thus setting them apart.

Additionally, none of the timeline-appropriate variants of any of those 'Mechs carries ballistic weapons - no MGs, ACs, or GRs on any of them - and they tend to carry a small number (1-2) of missile weapons.
By contrast, all of the currently-announced Heavy 'Mechs (Catapult, Dragon, Cataphract, JagarMech) ake an opposing stance - they tend to be laden with ballistics (which players often turn into "as many Gauss Rifles as possible") and missiles, with few (if any) energy-focused variants.

The fact that the Guillotine, Grasshopper, and Quickdraw are generally energy boats serves to further set them apart from the current line-up of Heavy 'Mechs - they are generally more maneuverable than their same-weight-class companions, but cannot be turned into missile boats, AC boats, or dual-Gauss monstrosities.

While I've nothing against the Orion in particular, and recognize it as the only currently-viable option for the 75-ton category, it does have the issue of being "more of the same" - a(nother) non-jumper with a ballistics-and-missiles-heavy mixed armament; beyond plugging a hole in the available weight classes, it doesn't really bring anything new or unique to the proverbial table.

Your thoughts?

#939 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:31 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 22 November 2012 - 05:00 AM, said:

Actually, I'm thinking that the Guillotine, Grasshopper and Quickdraw might be attractive choices because of their loadouts - and, more specifically, how those loadouts set them outside of the mold of the other Heavies.

All of them are generally jumpers (more variants have Jump Jets than not) - something that few other era-appropriate Heavy 'Mechs with enough timeline-appropriate variants to matter can boast, thus setting them apart.

Additionally, none of the timeline-appropriate variants of any of those 'Mechs carries ballistic weapons - no MGs, ACs, or GRs on any of them - and they tend to carry a small number (1-2) of missile weapons.
By contrast, all of the currently-announced Heavy 'Mechs (Catapult, Dragon, Cataphract, JagarMech) ake an opposing stance - they tend to be laden with ballistics (which players often turn into "as many Gauss Rifles as possible") and missiles, with few (if any) energy-focused variants.

The fact that the Guillotine, Grasshopper, and Quickdraw are generally energy boats serves to further set them apart from the current line-up of Heavy 'Mechs - they are generally more maneuverable than their same-weight-class companions, but cannot be turned into missile boats, AC boats, or dual-Gauss monstrosities.

While I've nothing against the Orion in particular, and recognize it as the only currently-viable option for the 75-ton category, it does have the issue of being "more of the same" - a(nother) non-jumper with a ballistics-and-missiles-heavy mixed armament; beyond plugging a hole in the available weight classes, it doesn't really bring anything new or unique to the proverbial table.

Your thoughts?

The Cataphract has two insanely energy laden variants due to hardpoint allocation in MW:O, so even though they aren't baseline laserboats, they're just as heavy handed on them in most builds as a Guillotine/etc. One has five laser hardpoints and one ballistic while another has four laser and two ballistics.

The Heavy category has pretty much everything covered, you can basically make a Black Knight on a Cataphract minus two laser hardpoints the BK would have...but at that point and with how our current double heatsinks work, it's about the same thing. It can fill the role of a Guillotine exactly. We're getting into the fact now that pretty much every roll is covered by most weight classes now, and you can generally copy most 'mechs into existing chassis. I know not many of the base variants are energy based, but I'm almost afraid to run some of these until they fix double heat sinks (which should be noted...they're still bugged!!! Engine Heatsinks are giving 2.0 heat dissipation incorrectly right now,) to something higher then 1.4.

And if you're still banking on the diversity aspect, then you can kind of have it go both ways. Most of the laser boat 'mechs ONLY mount lasers per all of their variants, which would make each variant basically the same. Why have a 'mech look like this: 'Mech Variant A= 6 Lasers, 'Mech Variant B= 6 Lasers, 'Mech Variant C = 7 Lasers. Sure the base 'mech has a ton of laser hardpoints, but they'd have to add missile or ballistics to designs that don't generally have them in order to make it so it's not a one trick pony.

Now, that doesn't mean I'd not want to see either of these 'mechs, but overall I think it's fair game for ANY 'mech to be added at this point.

Edited by Jack Gallows, 22 November 2012 - 07:10 AM.

#940 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 22 November 2012 - 05:00 AM, said:

Your thoughts?

Guillotine or Grasshopper would be fine (the Guillotine looks much better) but they could wait. We have already heavy energy boats (Catapult K2 and Cataphracts) of similar tonnage.

What we need is a heavy brawler like the Orion - as the Cataphract has a too big cockpit for close quarters. The Orion can go toe-a-toe with the Atlas (Atlas has more armor and weapons but Orion is faster), has lots of possible builds, it's iconic and very common and looks impressive in the battlefield.

34 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 34 guests, 0 anonymous users