BattleMech Balance

20517 replies to this topic

#981 Lord Caedrun

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 7 posts
  • LocationLR, AR

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

@Thontor-Thanks for the clarification. I have to admit I didn't know that piece of lore.

#982 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

View PostLord Caedrun, on 26 November 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

I am remembering the Mad Cat looking pretty much like a Marauder with Catapult ears. If my memory is correct, would this not come up against the Unseen licensing problem?

It's really closer to a Catapult with Marauder arms, in terms of appearance. ^_^
Posted Image
+
Posted Image
=
Posted Image

#983 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

Am I the only one that is very curious to see how Alex Iglesias will do the clan mechs? They should look more modern and slick than the IS ones, I suppose :)

#984 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

Well, the whole Clan business is intriguing.
How PGI will approach them? Will IS players be able to use them? How will be the customization and the omni stuff? Will they try to balance the ultra powerful clan weapons? Or it will just be an arms race to get these weapons? (imagine SSR6 and UAC/20 boats)

#985 Fugu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

View PostOdanan, on 26 November 2012 - 06:01 PM, said:

How PGI will approach them?

They will include them, they will be better than anything else, everyone will be able to play them and one will be able to put everything into every 'Mech.
Every 'Mech can use AMS and Beagle and will be able to use ECM (because the Raven should be useless or so) so they will do the same thing here. It's how they roll.

Then every clan weapon will be OP and they all will be nerfed in a hotfix to make them awful and everyone will go to the OP-'Mech of the week.

That's all just judging by how it went until now.

#986 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

How PGI will approach them? Will IS players be able to use them? How will be the customization and the omni stuff? Will they try to balance the ultra powerful clan weapons? Or it will just be an arms race to get these weapons? (imagine SSR6 and UAC/20 boats)

Personally, I'm hoping that they enforce the OmniMechs' canon limitations (e.g. can't change engine type/rating, can't change internals or armor, can't change HS type, and so on) as well as the incompatibility between IS tech and Clan technologies (e.g. preventing Clanners taking IS gear to avoid the heat penalty, preventing IS players building full-Clan-tech 'Mechs on non-Clan chassis).

Your thoughts?

#987 Phoenix Branson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

I heard in a NGNG podcast that they will attempt to balance the Clans vs. Inner Sphere through Matchmaking. Specifically, they were talking about 8-10 Clan BattleMechs vs. 12 IS BattleMechs, where the number of Inner Sphere always outnumber the Clans as they have superior weaponry.

Edited by Maverick01, 26 November 2012 - 06:25 PM.

#988 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

I don't care about it for now. Right now i'm more concerned about the upcoming Inner Sphere Mechs rather than about clan stuff that might come and PGI has enough other problems to solve. I don't think that they care about the clans and their stuff, but in few month maybe...

Ps: Don't forget. Our messiah, the holy Black Knight is still not announced!

Edited by The Birdeater, 26 November 2012 - 06:32 PM.

#989 Rylyn

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

I remember Marauder and wish all the classic mechs could make it in

#990 Luceyn Terakis

• Pip
  • Korpral Første Klasse
  • Korpral Første Klasse
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

i expect, the reseen will make it in at some point. Due to the old players desire for them. And just how much they play into the canon story. Further along with that, is that almost all of them have some "hero mech" variant possible. And hero mech = $$$

Victor/Daishi = Victor Davion
Archer = Jaime Wolf
Marauder = The Bounty Hunter
Warhammer = Natasha Kerensky (Blackwidow)
Battlemaster = Redjack Ryan, Hanse Davion
Wolfhound = Phelan Kell(ward)

also, the battlemaster has a LOT of variants, most involving changing the main gun.

#991 J4ckInthebox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • LocationBritanny, France

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

Urbie ?

Posted Image

#992 Alex MSQ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationDonetsk, Ukraine

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

KGC King Crab? Cut off the game? Why?!

#993 Hannes

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationStuttgart, Germany

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:00 AM

View PostLuceyn Terakis, on 26 November 2012 - 08:32 PM, said:

Ach you forgot Takashi Kurita!
The dragon will not be pleased about this!

#994 Terror Teddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:01 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 26 November 2012 - 06:23 PM, said:

Personally, I'm hoping that they enforce the OmniMechs' canon limitations (e.g. can't change engine type/rating, can't change internals or armor, can't change HS type, and so on) as well as the incompatibility between IS tech and Clan technologies (e.g. preventing Clanners taking IS gear to avoid the heat penalty, preventing IS players building full-Clan-tech 'Mechs on non-Clan chassis).

Your thoughts?

Very much this.

The limitations makes them highly diverse counterparts but I can see some crossovers.

IS: Flexible Armor / Engine / Internals - Limited Weapons Loadout
Clan: Fixed Internals - Highly Flexible Weapons Loadout / Some Fixed Hardpoints [Mad Cat Iconic Missile Pods]

Still, Clan Endo Steel and engine is an integral part of the mechs superstructure so I cannot see that easily transferred into an IS mech.

Clan ARMOR on the other hand is an external layer like any other armor and should be transferable to an IS mech and vice versa.

I cannot see how the IS would be able to simply convert an IS standard mech into something with Omnipods because then it IS an Omnimech so IS would not be able to use Clan Omnipod weapons until actual IS Omnimechs are built. They could most likely rip it out of the pod and put it into a fixed mount the mech already has for that weapon type.

#995 Dirty Dawg

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:22 AM

I'm not sure, I might be one of the few, but I'd really like to see the Banshee fill the 95-ton assault spot.

Maybe that's weird, I don't know. It seems like some people really don't like the Banshee for some reason, but it's kind of grown on me over the past couple years.

#996 LtCasey

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationMechhangar

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:02 AM

View PostRylyn, on 26 November 2012 - 06:43 PM, said:

I remember Marauder and wish all the classic mechs could make it in

Cataphract 1X,........1x AC/10, 2 ER PPC, DHS, endo and an xl 280. Your pretty much setup, tweak to your likings. Its a fun build. Since from the lore, the phract is developed from spareparts of the marauder and some other mechs its close to the Marauder.

#997 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:39 AM

View PostLuceyn Terakis, on 26 November 2012 - 08:32 PM, said:

i expect, the reseen will make it in at some point. Due to the old players desire for them. And just how much they play into the canon story. Further along with that, is that almost all of them have some "hero mech" variant possible. And hero mech = $$$

Victor/Daishi = Victor Davion
Archer = Jaime Wolf
Marauder = The Bounty Hunter
Warhammer = Natasha Kerensky (Blackwidow)
Wolfhound = Phelan Kell(ward)

also, the battlemaster has a LOT of variants, most involving changing the main gun.

The mechs Victor, Daishi (or Dire Wolf, clan mech) and Wolfhound are not unseen/reseen.

Victor could still get in the game (though I find unlikely), Daishi will be in the game for sure and Wolfhound doesn't meet (or barely meets) the 3 variation/variant requirements.

View PostAlex MSQ, on 26 November 2012 - 10:39 PM, said:

KGC King Crab? Cut off the game? Why?!

See first post. There is a limited reasoning for it don't be in the game.

View PostDirty Dawg, on 27 November 2012 - 12:22 AM, said:

I'm not sure, I might be one of the few, but I'd really like to see the Banshee fill the 95-ton assault spot.

Maybe that's weird, I don't know. It seems like some people really don't like the Banshee for some reason, but it's kind of grown on me over the past couple years.

It's not impossible. Look this. (and this)

Edited by Odanan, 27 November 2012 - 04:43 AM.

#998 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:43 AM

So, the Orion tomorrow? I can't see (or wish) other option for next heavy mech.

#999 Fugu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:41 AM

View PostOdanan, on 27 November 2012 - 04:43 AM, said:

So, the Orion tomorrow? I can't see (or wish) other option for next heavy mech.

I'd think so. The other possible ones would be Flashman and Black Knight. :P They are both unlikely, though.

#1000 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:34 AM

View PostOdanan, on 27 November 2012 - 04:43 AM, said:

I can't see (or wish) other option for next heavy mech.

Grasshopper... but it has only 2 veraints that actually look differently. ;)

Axman... okay, just joking.

Black Knight... a lightbulb through and through. Doesn't have good hardpoints (you would be choosing only between energy ones, others would be underpowered).

Caesar... we already have a Cataphract.

Champion... this one has good potential.

Excalibur... not enough variants.

Exterminator... a good candidate.

Flashman... suffers the same problem of variants like the Black Kinght.

Guillotine... a good candidate, but lacks variants.

Koschei... a primitive heavy relative of Hunchback, but it's a Capellan mech and those are always good. Acceptable. ^_^

Lancelot... a stranger. I can't possibly think of it's chances.

Merlin... another stranger for me. It would be acceptable if it had variants worth mentioning.

Orion... a copy/paste of an Atlas. Only thing different is the speed, but it comes at a price of lowering the araments to a small standard.

Shootists... only for ComStar and no variants to speak of.

Quickdraw... lacks a variant (it has perfect variants, but a switch of weapons from rear and back isn't going to help us here).

There you go. All era viable heavies excluding the unseens, which brings me to the point... WHERE ARE OUR UNSEENS? :(

80 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 80 guests, 0 anonymous users